Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
No spectators at The Masters.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,432

No spectators at The Masters.

Aug 12, 2020, 6:03 PM

No surprise.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No spectators at The Masters.

Aug 12, 2020, 7:32 PM

The reason that there will be no spectators at The Masters is because The Masters does not allow spectators!
They do allow "Patrons,"however.
But they won't be allowed either.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I gave you a +1 for remembering the correct stuffiness about

Aug 12, 2020, 7:37 PM

The Augusta National Golf Club.

Also, as Gary McCord will tell you, you better never make wisecracks about the course as a TV announcer. He has been banned ever since he said that the greens were so fast, it seemed they had been "bikini waxed".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I gave you a +1 for remembering the correct stuffiness about

Aug 12, 2020, 7:56 PM

They take themselves way too seriously, and that’s why I refuse to use the term patrons.

That will certainly change the dynamic on Sunday.

Aug 12, 2020, 7:34 PM

More than any other major, The Masters is affected by crowd roars. Part of this is the venue itself, since The Masters is the only major with a permanent home, in Augusta National Golf Club.

I'll use my all time favorite year of 1986 as an example. No doubt the roars from Jack Nicklaus birdieing hole after hole ahead of him (and eagling 15) put the pressure on Seve Ballesteros. You could almost say a particular roar knocked the 4 iron out of Seve's hand when he duck hooked it into the pond in front of the 15th green. I remember in later years interviews, Seve (or his caddie, not sure which) said it was a long while after that before he trusted a 4 iron again.

Not that the Augusta National would ever do such a thing, but they have more than enough historical TV footage to be able to pipe in the roars at the appropriate time over a PA system, if they chose to do so.

...and years before, Weiskopf splashed it at 16. Same sitch.***

Aug 15, 2020, 4:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2020, 7:41 PM

Jack Whitaker of CBS got banned for calling the patrons the crowd.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2020, 7:45 PM

Yep. When you get right down to it, The Augusta National Golf Club really is an arrogant bunch of arsewholes. They sure do put on a great golf tournament, though.

Aug 13, 2020, 4:53 AM

Totally disagree. The greatest place to be for a golf tournament. And the pimento cheese is wonderful at $2 a pop. People are always the most respectful of any event you will ever attend.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2020, 1:38 PM

No argument about the tournament itself. As I said, they put on a GREAT tournament. But, they are the biggest bunch of Prima Donnas in the world of sports. THEY dictate to the TV network which announcers are allowed, how commercials will be played during the broadcast, even what name the paid ticket holders will be called by on-air. (They MUST be referred to a Patrons, no other name will suffice.) And, going much further, they were WAY behind the curve allowing Blacks to enter the tournament, allowing women members, and so on, and so on. Now, granted, they are an exclusive private club, and as such have some leeway to do things their way. They just seem to go above and beyond to shove this in everyone's face at every opportunity.

As I said, all this is completely separate from the tournament itself, which I consider to be the most enjoyable major to watch, year in and year out. The course is built for drama on the back nine on Sunday. The fact that it is the most beautifully manicured golf course in the world is a huge bonus, as well. The only time I can remember The Masters not being a good tournament to watch was a few years back when they tried to "Tiger-proof" the course, and made it longer, and with greens so fast and hard that NO ONE could play them. It was just like watching another US Open that year. Dismay over that change was voiced in writing by myself and several thousands of other viewers, we already have one US Open, where we watch everybody struggle for pars all week. Taking away the ability for a back nine charge on Sunday would kill The Masters. Thankfully, they changed it back to normal the next year.

It was worse than that

Aug 12, 2020, 7:46 PM [ in reply to Re: No spectators at The Masters. ]

He actually referred to them as a “mob”.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,432
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic