Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nick Saban says it's okay for players not to play in the bowl game.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Nick Saban says it's okay for players not to play in the bowl game.

Dec 11, 2019, 9:41 AM

It goes to show how meaningless all bowls are aside from the playoff.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nick Saban says it's okay for players not to play in the bowl game.

Dec 11, 2019, 9:45 AM

Or is he building up an excuse for the third loss on the season?

Ding ding

Dec 11, 2019, 10:03 AM

Nailed it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Sounds like he has a bunch of guys about to sit out

Dec 11, 2019, 9:48 AM

Bowl game.

Oh I'm sure.

Dec 11, 2019, 9:55 AM

Three of those stud WRs, Jeudy, Ruggs, and Smith, are all JRs and could all be going pro. Najee Harris, Xavier McKinney, Alex Leatherwood, etc.

He's just trying to publicly establish himself as a

Dec 11, 2019, 9:48 AM

"players coach" so that he can continue to recruit elite talent.

Dec 11, 2019, 9:50 AM

Then he needs to shut his pie hole when fans aren't willing to scarf up thousands to go to these bowl games when the players they want to see play decide not to show up!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2019, 9:52 AM

He probably doesnt care too much either way if they show up to the Citrus Bowl.

Then he should be man enough to turn down the Citrus Bowl

Dec 11, 2019, 9:54 AM

Be honest with the fans, the bowl, and the team.

I think the fans should know what to expect at this point

Dec 11, 2019, 9:56 AM

Most of these bowls outside of the NY6 are about next year.

Re: I think the fans should know what to expect at this point

Dec 11, 2019, 10:01 AM

Exactly. That's why it's so hard to bet on those bowls.

Re: I think the fans should know what to expect at this point

Dec 11, 2019, 3:35 PM [ in reply to I think the fans should know what to expect at this point ]

Maybe even the non-playoff NY6. Swift may sit out the Sugar Bowl for UGA.

Re: Then he should be man enough to turn down the Citrus Bowl

Dec 11, 2019, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Then he should be man enough to turn down the Citrus Bowl ]

He thinks the bowl is good for players that are young or others that are draft eligible players that are trying to improve their draft stock. He doesn't think non playoff bowls are needed for lock top 10 picks like Jerry Jeudy if they choose not to play. He understands.

He's right***

Dec 11, 2019, 10:29 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He's right***

Dec 11, 2019, 10:42 AM

Definitely

Re: He's right***

Dec 11, 2019, 8:29 PM [ in reply to He's right*** ]

Most definitely.

Dec 11, 2019, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Nick Saban says it's okay for players not to play in the bowl game. ]

This is my take as well. If it’s fine for players to skip bowls (I believe it is, personally) then it’s ok for fans/students to sit out meaningless cupcake games in 100 degree heat in Sept without getting lectured.

That sounds like a comment from a sore loser. He doesn't...

Dec 11, 2019, 10:07 AM

care any more about Alabama's bowl game that several of his players do. They're "too good" to have to settle for anything less that the Playoffs.

Dec 11, 2019, 10:07 AM

They truly are meaningless. I mean really, what is the point of them these days besides money? If your best players don't play (i honestly don't blame them), does the win or loss truly matter?

Yeah, you hope your backups will step up, but again, without your best players, does a loss reflect who you are for THAT particular year? Obviously there are a few circumstances (USUC's blowout loss to Virginia last year) where a team is just terrible and they need to look long and hard about making changes, but I don't think that happens often.

I certainly don't mind watching the good bowls and am happy there is some football to watch, but I get a kick out of the networks and fans that make a big deal out of them.

That's right - the big bowls used to decide the NC but now..

Dec 11, 2019, 10:23 AM

that they're consolation "prizes" the players and coaches don't care the same. If it's not the Playoffs then anything less indicates failure in the minds of the teams that didn't make the CFP.

And it used to be an honor to qualify for a bowl game but now the bowl games are nothing special since there are too many of them.

With the playoffs does anyone care about the bowls?

Dec 11, 2019, 10:09 AM

Not making the playoffs is like going to the NIT, what’s the point.

Exactly!! It feels exactly the same.***

Dec 11, 2019, 10:24 AM

Forgot what that feels like... Maybe it was 1st year jitters***

Dec 11, 2019, 3:47 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2019, 11:13 AM

When I was a Marine platoon commander in Viet Nam, there were a bunch of night patrols, mine sweeps, firefights, that I wanted to sit out, but to do so would have let down my Marines that counted on me .... not just me, but we all counted on each other and had each other's back.

Yes, that is probably a bad analogy, but the theory is the same. It is about being brothers and not letting your teammates or fellow Marines down, under any circumstance. I guess the biggest difference is that I wanted to get back alive so I could collect my monthly $383 paycheck ..... plus my $65 combat pay ...... some of these guys will collect millions, so I guess trumps loyalty.

All that said, I can understand why they do it and I'm certainly not in their shoes so to criticize them may not be fair. Maybe I should put it this way. I really admire the ones that choose to play!

Dec 11, 2019, 12:41 PM

Their brothers on the field agree with them on sitting out. Its about the rest of their lives. There are entire families on the line whose futures will be changed forever by the NFL. Some bowls aren't worth is.

Dec 11, 2019, 3:36 PM

It is funny that playing in bowl games was never an issue until about three or four years ago. What has changed? Professional football players have always made huge amounts of money. At some point the golden goose is going to die and that will be when the people paying the tab quit going ...... first to bowl games that have the "stars" sitting out ..... then to regular season games. My only motive is to not see a game I love destroyed.

Dec 11, 2019, 7:23 PM

The playoff happened. The other bowls are meaningless now.

Dec 11, 2019, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Nick Saban says it's okay for players not to play in the bowl game. ]

TigerLinks said:

When I was a Marine platoon commander in Viet Nam, there were a bunch of night patrols, mine sweeps, firefights, that I wanted to sit out, but to do so would have let down my Marines that counted on me .... not just me, but we all counted on each other and had each other's back.

Yes, that is probably a bad analogy, but the theory is the same. It is about being brothers and not letting your teammates or fellow Marines down, under any circumstance. I guess the biggest difference is that I wanted to get back alive so I could collect my monthly $383 paycheck ..... plus my $65 combat pay ...... some of these guys will collect millions, so I guess trumps loyalty.

All that said, I can understand why they do it and I'm certainly not in their shoes so to criticize them may not be fair. Maybe I should put it this way. I really admire the ones that choose to play!

Thank you for your service!

Dec 11, 2019, 3:30 PM

It was an honor to serve!

Dec 11, 2019, 12:37 PM

This is hilarious to me!

It's ok to sit out the bowl games, BUT not the last practice before the FIRST game of the season, when he had his best defensive player still out there, to get hurt and taken out for the whole season!

Or to leave Tua in a game that he has already won, just to get a little more 2 minute offense experience. We all saw how that worked out!

So in my opinion, any words from Saban are meaningless.

Dec 11, 2019, 12:42 PM

Meaningless to who? I hear that bowl games are “meaningless” every year and then I see players running around after winning the Bahamas Bowl like they just won the super bowl. Bowl games may be meaningless to a few, but are still meaningful to many.

Dec 11, 2019, 12:43 PM

That being the case, he can sit the bowl out I guess

Dec 11, 2019, 12:46 PM

He is still coaching other players and getting ready for next year.

It's as if any of his players being drafted care.***

Dec 11, 2019, 12:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He had most of his team sit out last year

Dec 11, 2019, 12:56 PM

but he didn't seem to happy about it.

I find it ironic that so many in this thread completely dismiss the relevance of Bowl games

Dec 11, 2019, 3:41 PM

In my view the 2012 win over LSU in the Peach Bowl was the seminal event that helped catapult our program towards the culture of winning that defines it today.

It’s hard to understand how/why that’s lost on so many. Good thing Nuk Hopkins didn’t share the POV espoused here.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I find it ironic that so many in this thread completely dismiss the relevance of Bowl games

Dec 11, 2019, 5:49 PM

Bingo!!!!!!

Re: I find it ironic that so many in this thread completely dismiss the relevance of Bowl games

Dec 11, 2019, 5:54 PM [ in reply to I find it ironic that so many in this thread completely dismiss the relevance of Bowl games ]

There was no playoff back then either. The playoff cheapened all of the other bowls

Dec 11, 2019, 6:10 PM

One of my coot relatives was livid last year when Deebo decided to skip their bowl game. He basically disowned Deebo as ever being a gamecoot. Getting hammered 28-0 just further enraged him. He used to be a huge supporter (Silver Spur or something like that), but has just about given up on the worthless coots and never even talks about them anymore.

Players deciding to skip the bowls are all about themselves, but I cannot blame them if the bowl means nothing. Saban is more right than wrong IMO. It still hurts not to get to see the players you have watched grow and become part of the family suddenly abandon you and the team.

Dec 11, 2019, 7:20 PM

Once pay for Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) comes into being and some of these top ranked players get paid (who knows how much at this time), how is it going to sit with universities and the fan base that spent the money to support, watch and pay them just so they can sit and not play?

If I was an AD and University Presdient, I would make them payback their earnings once they sign their millions of dollars contracts.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic