Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nick Saban crying over drug testing/ hints bad news
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Nick Saban crying over drug testing/ hints bad news

May 31, 2016, 9:54 PM

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/nick-saban-attacks-ncaa-drug-testing-policies-hints-at-bad-news-for-alabama

Nick Saban was in the mood to rant on Tuesday. He went off on satellite camps and the NFL draft process before moving on to another burning topic: drug testing.

The Alabama coach was specifically upset by the NCAA’s testing during last December’s College Football Playoff, citing the fact that those four teams — Alabama, Michigan State, Clemson and Oklahoma — were all subject to testing, while other FBS schools were not.

“If they’re going to test, they should test everybody,” Saban said. “They shouldn’t just test the four teams in the championship … So just because you got into the championship and the playoff last year your guys got tested — so those guys are all getting suspended next year. But how many other guys played in bowl games? It’s not the same standard for everybody.”

If you’re an Alabama fan reading between the lines, you might be worried that some of your favorite players could be missing from the field in September.

Saban didn’t exactly quell those fears as he charged forward Tuesday.

“What good does it do for a guy who got tested in December to suspend him six games next September?” he said. “Is this changing behavior? … I don’t think that helps. I don’t think the guy can even remember, I know I won’t remember in September what happened in December of the previous year.”

He expressed concern that the current policies do nothing to help the individual players, referencing the NFL’s supposedly ineffective drug program in place when he coached the Miami Dolphins a decade ago.

“I went through this with the Ricky Williams arguments way back when I was in Miami,” Saban said. “Everybody said, ‘We spent $5 million on a drug program.’ … How does that help the player? Because to me this is a medical issue, not just a behavioral issue that needs to be dealt with as such. Which takes a lot more time, a lot more resources and a lot more investment.”

READ MORE: Alabama high school would not let Tide player take girlfriend to Prom

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nick Saban crying over drug testing/ hints bad news

May 31, 2016, 10:03 PM

He seems to be saying that since everybody else is doing it, it is unfair to test only the ones in the playoffs. Maybe others are doing bad things, but did you ever cut your own kids slack when they told you "everbody else is doing it"? No! Neither did I.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 31, 2016, 10:20 PM

He didn't say it was unfair when the Clemson players were out of the game. Really sad Saban.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jun 1, 2016, 9:44 AM

100%! +1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo sent our guy home. Saban played his and won a

May 31, 2016, 10:14 PM

National Championship. He needs to shut his trap. He could have suspended them then, but they appealed I believe. I heard out in Arizona he may have had as many as ten positive results....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo sent our guy home. Saban played his and won a

May 31, 2016, 10:16 PM

I wonder if any and all of Alabama's players had been suspended, as ours was, how it would have affected their game

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

I don't think there'd be any question of the outcome...

Jun 1, 2016, 7:08 AM

...which is why Saban and Bama chose to appeal and take their lumps now.

I hope others find the irony in his saying "these kids can't even remember why they're being punished." That's why you bring the consequences of improper action immediately, as Dabo did. Deon was hurt immediately, but has rebounded and will be a solid contributor and a better man for it.

Bama's boys learned nothing and will pay for it this fall.

They have a trophy, a monument to the ego of a man and a program who places "win now" above all else.

We have better men, taught in the moment and supported as more than cogs in a machine.

I know with all my heart which I prefer.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What if the guy who tested positive was a senior and the

Jun 1, 2016, 9:03 AM

bowl was his last game anyway?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What if the guy who tested positive was a senior and the

Jun 1, 2016, 9:14 AM

I just looked up the rules and there is nothing that says you are able to continue playing while you're appealing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: What if the guy who tested positive was a senior and the

Jun 1, 2016, 9:45 AM

I would like clarification on that as well, read the penalty and appeal process

yep, his guys shouldn't have been on the field in January,

May 31, 2016, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Dabo sent our guy home. Saban played his and won a ]

not wait until September, or until after they've left for the NFL so it doesn't hurt them at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Couldn't have said it better Spud.***

Jun 1, 2016, 12:50 AM [ in reply to Dabo sent our guy home. Saban played his and won a ]

null

Re: Dabo sent our guy home. Saban played his and won a

Jun 1, 2016, 9:07 AM [ in reply to Dabo sent our guy home. Saban played his and won a ]

They sent Tony Brown home before the cotton bowl at the same time deon Cain was sent home.

It's hard to believe anyone could ignore a ncaa mandated suspension.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not only did Dabo send his guys home

May 31, 2016, 10:23 PM

He didn't wait till after the championship. For Saban, that means Juniors and Seniors who were going pro anyway won't be punished. They should revoke the championship, give it to Clemson and take away twice the amount of scholarships for four years.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those comments represent a disappointing lack of integrity.

May 31, 2016, 10:44 PM

First, it very much reads like he had players test positive for banned substances in December, but he appealed (or I guess the player appealed), played at full strength and won a championship. He made a clear statement that the truth and playing with integrity will take a back seat to getting that hardware.

Then, doubling down on his disinterest in the behavior of his players, he whines about it being so long ago that he couldn't even remember, doubts the players would, and couldn't POSSIBLY impose any lesson or discipline now.

Very sad comments. Obviously made more sad as a Clemson fan whose team lost...very possibly because of the different levels of ethics by the two head coaches.

And of course, I still would never ask Dabo to have done it any differently.

Now he's sayin

null

100% agree....not sure how else to parse it.***

Jun 1, 2016, 12:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

I like that Dabo sent our players home. Two were let go for

May 31, 2016, 10:50 PM

Being multiple offenders and the other was a rock solid receiver. He put ethics and running a clean program above taking advantage of the rules and simply appealing the results. Saban may have won this year, but there could be future backlash waiting for him.

by sending Cain #13 shined

May 31, 2016, 10:59 PM

So out of a disappointment a star was born and the rest of the world watched

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

This article literally made me angry...

May 31, 2016, 11:05 PM

I have no words for the scumbags that run college football programs, and further college athletics in general (looking at you NCAA).

THANK YOU DABO. Some folks are just born with integrity. I want to win it ALL, but not at ALL costs. We create men, Clemson Men, and I couldn't be more proud.

I tell my Coot running buddy that all the time. Dabo is

May 31, 2016, 11:35 PM

winning with integrity. If he starts losing 3 or 4 games a year,but keeps his principles, I can live with that.

Is there a bigger crybaby in major college sports than this guy?!!

Jun 1, 2016, 12:27 AM

He makes me sick. Newsflash Saban, if you would have disciplined in the moment, you could have taught them the lesson. Instead, you've aggravated the issue and taught your football team that integrity doesn't matter and rarely are consequences substantial. You could have solved your own self-made dilemma by doing the RIGHT THING in January. As usual, you've proven you have no idea what that is and that you have zero integrity. If his career crashed and burned, I for one would have no sympathy.

"Aw shucks, guys.... It was just the deer antlers..." ;~)***

Jun 1, 2016, 1:02 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Aw shucks, guys.... It was just the deer antlers..." ;~)***

Jun 1, 2016, 4:45 AM

Speculation is that Coach was referring to Tony Brown, who was sent home before the CFP

i guess we shall find out soon enough, Beer...

Jun 1, 2016, 7:48 AM

but the comments do not read to me like they are about a player who faced disciplinary actions in December or January.

null

Re: i guess we shall find out soon enough, Beer...

Jun 1, 2016, 9:37 AM

Link to full transcript, myself, not really seeing a whine fest here

http://alabama.247sports.com/Article/Full-Alabama-head-coach-Nick-Saban-transcript-from-SEC-Spring-Me-45576279

That reads just like the original post.

Jun 1, 2016, 9:57 AM

I think we are seeing this clearly. If we see several suspensions to start the season we will know we were right.

I'm not anti-Saban in general, nor anti-Bama. That's why the comments were so disappointing.

null

Re: That reads just like the original post.

Jun 1, 2016, 10:01 AM

And if there aren't a bunch of suspensions will the narrative be saban whined his way out of them?

Re: That reads just like the original post.

Jun 1, 2016, 10:08 AM [ in reply to That reads just like the original post. ]

The most pertinent thing to me in this discussion is whether the athlete can continue to compete while under appeal. I would tend to think not but I'm unsure if that is correct.

If the ncaa penalizes you find scholarships for a given year, I do not think you can just go out and sign 25 anyway because you are under appeal. The relief may come but it will be after the appeal process

No, the speculation the whole time has been

Jun 1, 2016, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Re: "Aw shucks, guys.... It was just the deer antlers..." ;~)*** ]

Bama had several(as many as 10) that flunked the test at the time. Saban chose to appeal,which is within the rules. Now that he has chosen to play with players that he knew flunked drug test, he wants to whine now that he will play half the season without those players.

Re: No, the speculation the whole time has been

Jun 1, 2016, 8:56 AM

...and we will never know about seniors or juniors that turned pro...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We lost on the scoreboard

Jun 1, 2016, 6:50 AM

And now I'm over it......revenge always has a sweet taste.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Jun 1, 2016, 7:45 AM

I've never cared for Saban, his arrogant attitude rubs me the wrong way. Obviously the title was more important to him than his integrity. If he does have several players appeal to avoid the Championship suspension that will miss part of the beginning of 2016 season than that works in Alabama's favor.

Saban plans every little detail and he figured that he would take his chances without players versus the real USC, WKU, Ole Miss, and Kent State who they play at the start of this season. He knew Clemson had the horses to whip him otherwise. If true I hope he loses 2 of these games and is out of playoff before the season has barely started.

Thank you Dabo for having a conscience and being 180 degrees opposite of Saban.

When a coach places winning above the well being

Jun 1, 2016, 8:13 AM

Of his players and the other affected parties, we end up with a situation like Baylor. Players begin to feel entitled with a coach that enables such behavior. Also see: FSU.

Re: When a coach places winning above the well being

Jun 1, 2016, 8:20 AM

Satin is inspired by his boosters. They demand winning teams, he answers to them.

Jun 1, 2016, 8:42 AM

So he wants to reward bad behavior instead of punishing bad behavior. When you reward bad behavior, you get a lot more of it. This is just one of many things you learn in kindergarten and raising children.

"I know I won't remember what happened in December"

Jun 1, 2016, 9:13 AM

Well yeah, if you're stoned. At least that's what a friend told me.

I agree with some of what he said.

Jun 1, 2016, 10:08 AM

Players should be tested the night before the game and those failing should not be allowed to play for two weeks.

Only teams which make the playoff should be tested. Everybody else should be subject to their coach's or school's rules.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic