Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Next year's wideouts: We should be loaded with what
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Next year's wideouts: We should be loaded with what

Jan 21, 2021, 6:34 PM

we already know we have coming back, plus new additions. But, I selfishly hope at least one of the new additions exhibits one of these three important elements.

1) That WOW factor that Sammy Watkins had right off the bat. It was easy to see from the get go that his speed was going to kill opposing defenses.

2) That tenacity that Mike Williams quickly began to show. With Mikey, you learned early on that any 50/50 ball was really more like 90/10 in his favor. Not only was the defense NOT going to get it, Mikey WAS going to get it most of the time.

3) The "ALWAYS open" route running of Hunter Renfrow. Amari was the closest thing we had to that last year, but he couldn't get the kind of consistent separation that Renfrow uncannily seemed to always generate on third downs. He is STILL doing it to NFL teams. The Raiders are just now figuring that out.

Any two of these three traits would be awesome. We survived last year without really having ANY of them. And, while the first two are great, that drive extending third down sure receiver ala Renfrow is probably more important than any of them. Here's hoping someone steps into each of these roles. If they do, we will be unstoppable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Next year's wideouts: We should be loaded with what

Jan 21, 2021, 6:48 PM

Expecting Will Swinney to step in that Renfrow role!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, there's no question****

Jan 21, 2021, 7:24 PM

Jan 21, 2021, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Next year's wideouts: We should be loaded with what ]

Um nah

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jan 21, 2021, 7:18 PM

I don't see a player in the WR position with elite speed; J R flashed something close to it vs Bama-hoping he makes a full recovery but I would expect some "growing pains" in the regular season, regardless of how well he might perform in the spring-

Jan 21, 2021, 9:50 PM

Great list of traits that good receivers need. Based on what we saw last year against LSU, against Ohio State this year and by the Alabama all world bunch, the WOW factor of speed is what we need. Coaches will say that you can't coach speed and speed is what we need.

Jan 22, 2021, 4:13 AM

Good post.

I think that the tenacity/50-50 jump balls is the one we missed the most.

When EJ started coming on at end of season, it looked like he was going to be closest to "always open"...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2021, 5:56 AM

I hope we get it figured out because DJ Uiagalalia can flat out get the ball to them. And fast. My biggest concern is the OL. That unit needs improvement.

Jan 22, 2021, 2:26 PM

Especially since DJ is not going to be as mobile as TL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We should be loaded with potential

Jan 22, 2021, 8:08 AM

Ross will be double teamed most of the time. So ladson and ngata have to eventually perform. They did nothing of substance this year. The fact that they have yet to be able to make any dent makes me wonder if they even have it in them. The only glimmer of hope is the example of Cornell Powell. He seemed like the poster boy for potential but never actually performing until THIS year in the Notre DAme game. That game turned him into potential draft pick. Because after that he was a dominant threat at receiver.

So i'm just waiting for the light to switch on for those two 5 star WR's. Figure out how to stay healthy first and then figure out how to contribute. Not just run routes and fade into the background but go out and make a play.

Jan 22, 2021, 8:59 AM

I would like to see us with a TE who became the "Go To" guy who could be counted on the when other receivers were covered. We use our TE more for just blocking, but one who can catch and is athletic enough to get open and big enough and speedy enough to rumble is a huge asset. Remember Leggett? JMO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic