Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Next Year's Depth Chart Breakdown
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Next Year's Depth Chart Breakdown

Nov 28, 2017, 11:40 AM

QB Returning everyone. Will be better next year
RB Returning everyone, will be one of the best in the nation
WR Returning tons of talent and won't miss a beat. One of the best units in the nation
TE Returning best two players, I expect improvement
OL Either returning 3 or 4 starters depending on Hyatt. Any chance we keep him? Either way the worst case scenario is a slight drop off because we have developed depth.
Offense overall will be better next year.

DT's Biggest loss on our team will be Wilkins. He's the soul of our team and most programs don't see a guy like him every quarter century. HUGE LOSS, but we are very talented here. Dexter Lawrence is arguably the best DT in the country and we have solid depth behind him. We will have a drop-off but only from the best unit in the country to a top-5 unit. No weakness here.
DE's Big losses coming again. Our two current starters are potential 1st rd picks this year. Both are eligible. We will have Yeargin back and he is a monster and we have recruited well there, but we won't be the best DL in the nation next year. I knew coming into this year we would be the best unit maybe ever in our history, but we are taking a hit at DE unless someone steps up out of nowhere. That has been happening for us every year though so it may happen again.
LB's DOrian Odaniel is another massive loss. Extremely high energy and VERY SMART. We will miss his consistency. If Kendall Joseph comes back then he and Tre Lamar will be a very solid returning duo, and we developed some depth behind them, but nobody looks like they will fill Odaniel's shoes as of now. In my opinion, he turned out to be our best LB in the last few years if all things are considered. (Talent, consistency, mental awareness)
Corners We developed some great depth here. I expect us to get better at this position with Mullen, Fields and AJ Terrell adding some serious experience this year.
Safety We will maybe have the best Safety unit in the country next year. We have 4 guys coming back that are All-ACC caliber. Loaded.
Defense overall will experience drop-off, but the good news is we are talking about a drop-off from extreme heights. Not "worried" at all because our DB's will help ease in our new DE starters next year.

Special Teams I have no idea.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Next Year's Depth Chart Breakdown

Nov 28, 2017, 11:42 AM

Earlier Ferrell mentioned a good chance he returns to get his degree if I remember correctly.

If we keep him then our DL will still be one of top units in the country with the talent we are adding/have.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I doubt he comes back, but if he did then we would be

Nov 28, 2017, 11:43 AM

an even more complete team than we were this year imo.

If Hyatt comes back then that's another huge piece.

Nov 28, 2017, 11:47 AM

Hyatt and Fields probably gone. Ferrell is (as of today) coming back though I agree that is a tossup. I don't think we will have as big a drop off at DL as you think, either--Pinckney, Huggins and Robinson are coming on with some good depth being added next year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Fields should come back, I think. What's the highest draft

Nov 28, 2017, 11:50 AM

projection for him that you've seen? Another year and I think he's a 1st rounder.

Re: Fields should come back, I think. What's the highest draft

Nov 28, 2017, 11:55 AM

The injury may have set him back so while he was thinking about leaving earlier, he may not to solidify his draft stock. Solid 1st round pick if he stays.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

I kind of believe Hyatt will come back.

Nov 28, 2017, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Next Year's Depth Chart Breakdown ]

I've seen draft projections that are all over the map ... from late first round to 4th/5th.

Some say he needs to get sronger and could use the extra year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2017, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Next Year's Depth Chart Breakdown ]

Mark Fields is listed at 5'11" but he's probably actually like 5'9" and some change, that alone will hurt his stock and he'll know that. But I've also seen nothing that would say he's a guaranteed high draft pick if he leaves early.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2017, 12:47 PM

I don't think if he is 5'9.5" or 5'10" that would hurt his stock that much.

Average height for an NFL corner is 5'11" so he's certainly in that range. All that matters is that you cover well.

Solid analysis..

Nov 28, 2017, 11:49 AM

But I doubt we return all 4 RB's.. I know all 4 are eligible to come back but with the emergence of Feastmode and ETN, I think one or both of Choice and Fuller could transfer out or move on.

We will be extremely talented again next year though and will reload like lately. I don't expect any drop off even with losing some massive talent on the defensive side of the ball.

Are Choice and Fuller graduating before next year?

Nov 28, 2017, 11:53 AM

Even if one of them stays, we are loaded.

Not sure.. They are both RS JR's..

Nov 28, 2017, 11:59 AM

so the possibility exists. Hopefully one stays and we add J Lyn Dixon or Salahuddin.

DE is kind of tough to know.

Are Bryant and Ferrell both gone? Maybe 1 stays? Then we get Yeargin back, Logan Randolph will be back, maybe Xavier Kelly gets going, and then we had some true frosh studs too. I feel DE could be better possibly.

DT..We could be great at DT if big Dex is completely healthy, unlike this season. Maybe we get better or the same?

At LB I can't see us replacing Odaniel. Who will be that guy?

I am not sure defense will definitely have a dropoff. No telling.

There is almost zero chance our DE's will be better

Nov 28, 2017, 12:07 PM

I think Bryant and Ferrell go pro; will be a massive void. Plus losing Wilkins and our d-line will not look anything like the past few years, which have been an abomination of riches. We will be decent but certainly going to be tough to come close to the past few years.

Should be better at LB and Secondary though so overall it will be hard to predict how the defense will look.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is almost zero chance our DE's will be better

Nov 28, 2017, 12:40 PM

Looks to be a big void now, but we've had those voids before and magically fill them due to development.

Like Dabo said,

The best is yet to come.

Re: Like Dabo said,

Nov 28, 2017, 11:56 AM

I count on a new guy or two coming in to help with the loses each year. Usually happens. ETN being a good example.

Nov 28, 2017, 12:00 PM

as far as special teams - look up the BT Potter kid coming in the 2018 class. he's a stud kicker.

Nov 28, 2017, 12:11 PM

Taylor Hearn was recognized on Sr day even though he has a year left so he must be leaving, according to Caldwell Hyatt hasn’t talked with anyone about leaving.

Nov 28, 2017, 12:35 PM

I would add that Xavier Thomas may be good enough to get some reps his freshman year at DE. Dex was, XT could also be.

We've also got Mascoll coming as well as Belk.

Nov 28, 2017, 12:45 PM

XT should step in and get playing time right away just as Dex did. This guy is a beast and even as a freshman, I see him stepping into a solid leadership role.

Nov 28, 2017, 12:46 PM

Yeah we will rely on the freshmen ends to give us some quality game snaps in significant situations even if they don't start.

Nov 28, 2017, 12:58 PM

Jefferies and Belk coming in at DT will add depth. Huggins and Dex will start at DT with Johnson, Robinson, Jefferies and Belk getting in. Thomas and probably Henry adds automatic depth to the DE position. As a fan, I'd love to see both Bryant and Ferrell come back, but who knows what they will really do. We are stacked and continuing to stack on both sides of the ball. OL, we lose a couple of guys, Hyatt could boost his draft status if he came back, but once again, who knows.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2017, 1:25 PM

What do you guys think about Van Smith.. I think he is gone.. With all the young talent in behind him...His snaps will only get shorter and shorter...This year would be his best year to leave..I think Mark will be back..If he didnt get injured this year I think he would be leaving as well. At LB if Joseph has his degree I think he is done. I see him being a coach somewhere down the road. DL it doesnt matter because man on man we are STACKEDDDD! but Wilkins will definitely be missed!

Nov 28, 2017, 1:26 PM

I don't think there will be any question of talent. I think the question is who will step up into a leadership role. I know everyone has already marked TL as a first team All American next year, but I think the most underrated thing about KB this year has been his poise leading the offense. Unless he decides his best shot at the next level is to change positions, I think he will be behind center, again. I know on defense this year that we have not had the clear leader like Bouleware, but I think we will miss the leadership of Wilkins more than his talent. I don't know who it will be for next year, but I am confident that someone will step up, and I don't expect to miss a step overall. It's a good time to be a Tiger.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic