Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Instant Analysis: Clemson 41, App. State 10
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

New Story: Instant Analysis: Clemson 41, App. State 10

Sep 12, 2015, 4:09 PM

Instant Analysis: Clemson 41, App. State 10

Saturday’s game was strange, but it was a win as the Tigers relied on a feisty defense and the arm of Deshaun Watson in taking a 41-10 victory over Appalachian St. in front of a sold-out Death Valley crowd. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Concerns with Special teams

Sep 12, 2015, 4:28 PM

All the way across the board--Special teams
-----------------------------------------------
Still a good win..
whats the latest on Bryant #2??

Kick-offs are too low and too shallow ...

Sep 12, 2015, 11:54 PM

To this point, Huegel doesn't seem to have the leg to be an effective KO man. His low, short KOs put a lot of pressure on the coverage team.

However, he's hitting his FGs straight and strong. Even his misses have been good solid kicks, unlike the way Lakip began the season snap hooking the ball last year.

I thought Teasdale's punting was fine this week. No returns of any consequence.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Instant Analysis: Clemson 41, App. State 10

Sep 12, 2015, 4:57 PM

Overall good win, many concerns going into the season still:

Kicking game:
can't seem to stop big returns (happened years ago)
kicks not consistently deep enough = chances for big returns
punts not consistently deep enough = chances for big returns

Running game:
many, many very short yard carries against a small opponent (lack of blocking)

Quarterbacks:
watson was off a lot early, picks, overthrows, etc..
schuessler - just NOT a good backup QB, slow runner, bad decisions, inaccurate throws (wait until a good defense gets after him if watson gets hurt) (also, Bryant did better until his bell was rung)

Overall, okay game and the A team did sit out most of the second half, but even in the 1st half we had way too many mistakes and miscues.

Louisville lost to Houston at home today so hopefully we don't take them lightly and they are not the team I thought they were going into the season.

I may be too critical on the game, but this is just honest opinion of what I saw today. Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2015, 6:13 PM

I'd say your right on the mark. Thats just what I saw with my biggest concern is o--line blocking which really limited the ground game and kick off coverage. Both need a lot of work.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2015, 5:09 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Instant Analysis: Clemson 41, App. State 10 ]

Yes, yes, yes on all points. I'd sure like to see Bryant get more playing time instead of Schuessler. If Nick performed as well as we've been told in practices, then what has happened?

Nick bombed, but Bryant's a young kid with shades of Watson in him. I think he's going to be great--and sooner than later. Next time, put him in; let Nick think about things on the bench for a while. But Kelly'll need to try to do more than just run the ball.

Re: Counting...

Sep 12, 2015, 10:14 PM

2 down and 9 to go before the trip to the "slums" for some chicken plucking. Interesting game today. Score shows a big win but there is plenty to work on. Offensive line, played like they were wearing pumps. Trust me, it's ok to be nasty, come on girls. Defense looked pretty good but again, it's ok to be nasty. Special teams? Man, it needs a lot of work. Everyone behind the starters? Man, they need a lot of work and experience. Thank goodness for blow outs. They will get better with additional playing time. If I had to grade today it looks like a b minus. Now that pre-season is over its time to turn in on in all areas.

A lot of the poor offensive beginning

Sep 12, 2015, 10:29 PM

to the game came from poor center snaps to Watson. A number of the bad offensive plays began with a poor snap that kept Watson from getting into a rhythm running the offense. I hope that the Tigers will work on this in the few days they have to prepare for the Cards.
Downfield blocking was not as good today either.

Why continue to kick the ball to a guy who is killing you with his returns?

Re: Special Teams

Sep 13, 2015, 12:17 AM

Tight ends and Special Teams Coach Danny Pearman must do a lot of something that is valuable to Coach Swinney beyond his obvious assignments. The tight ends are terrible blockers as a group, and many, many high school coaches could coach our special teams better for much less $$$. How can Pearman be so incompetent as a coach ( and not much better as a recruiter ) and keep his job?! Maybe he is Dabo's 5-Heart Coach to go along with our 5-Heart recruits!!! The only way Pearman's special teams get better is sheer talent, not coaching. I'd like to have that job, and will take it for only half the money...This sorryness is going to get us beat one day, and Dabo will have only himself to blame for putting up with Pearman's crap this long! Coach Cheese thankfully left, and look what Mike Reed ( who apparently is a great position coach ) has done with our defensive backs...Maybe Pearman just needs to leave so that we can improve.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic