Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Can a linebacker solve Clemson's kickoff woes?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

New Story: Can a linebacker solve Clemson's kickoff woes?

Feb 4, 2016, 1:22 PM

Can a linebacker solve Clemson's kickoff woes?

Clemson's kickoff coverage woes last season are well-documented, and it was a long return that cost dearly in the title game. Enter linebacker commit Jamie Skalski, who thinks he might have a solution. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Can a linebacker solve Clemson's kickoff woes?

Feb 4, 2016, 1:32 PM

Can he get it in the endZone everytime?

Yes or no answer

Well he said..

Feb 4, 2016, 1:45 PM

with better grass and some improved technique and flexibility he can. As of now not every time.

GeeZ...what good luck, for Clemson & Him!!

Feb 4, 2016, 1:54 PM

Gut eR Done!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2016, 2:52 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can a linebacker solve Clemson's kickoff woes? ]

Sure coach will try him out to see how far he can kick it before he gives him the job. Its worth the try...I remember another soccer player who was a kicker at Clemson, Coach Ford always told IGGY go kick the piggy. His name was (Igwebrewekee) not sure if I spelled it right. He was a great kicker. We need to give him a chance. Sure coach will.

iggy....

Feb 4, 2016, 2:56 PM

Us old guys remember him as Donald.

Thanks to Jim Phillips.

It's okay that you aren't sure you spelled it right because

Feb 4, 2016, 4:11 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can a linebacker solve Clemson's kickoff woes? ]

the rest of us are sure you didn't. (Not saying that I could either though).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2016, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can a linebacker solve Clemson's kickoff woes? ]

We wouldn't have noticed, if you hadn't said anything, but we don't know either way!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2016, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can a linebacker solve Clemson's kickoff woes? ]

Hey, he seems pretty confident, and he says he played center on the soccer team, he says he has a strong leg. Right now I'm going to have confidence in him, and I'll say he can hit the windows up in the westzone club area, 4 out of 5 times. And as long as he's at Clemson, we won't ever worry about a ball run out of the end zone again on kick offs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2016, 1:34 PM

It would be pretty funny to be watching the game and someone break through a hole and the announcers say

"He found a hole and now all he has to do is beat the kicker... ewwww.. the kicker just leveled him??? Oh wait the kicker is a linebacker."

Feb 4, 2016, 1:41 PM

Ha that's freaking awesome, I really hope he wins the kickoff job.

I had no idea the kid was so athletic but I know if Dabo and Coach V offer they see somethin in the mid. I really like this kids attitude and he kind of reminds me of Ben B a little bit personality wise.

Feb 4, 2016, 1:42 PM

That should read "something in the kid" and not somethin in a mid or whatever. #### iPhone got me.

Lou Groza was a DL

Feb 4, 2016, 2:58 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can a linebacker solve Clemson's kickoff woes? ]

'member????

NUK had a soccer background

Feb 4, 2016, 3:11 PM

Wants to pursue a career as a goalie once football is over. Seeing what he is doing on the field I think it's very possible but the problem is at this rate he could be in the NFL a long time. I think it helps a lot with footwork and conditioning but mostly with anticipation. Dabo seems to think this kid is very underrated.

If Lakip put the hit on that ND guy that he did, can you

Feb 4, 2016, 1:41 PM

imagine what this kid would do? Holy smokes!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Re: If Lakip put the hit on that ND guy that he did, can you

Feb 4, 2016, 8:01 PM

You know returners try and run over the kickers if they try and tackle them. That would be a mistake I guess trying to run over kicker/LB. When he got his hearing back, he would hear all his team mates laughing their A$SES off at him.

Feb 4, 2016, 1:43 PM

That would be awesome it seems like he could actually be the next SAM behind Dorian O'Daniel if he really is athletic and quick. I think that Baylon will be a great SAM when he gets here and he could be the kind of player that really makes that position super strong. He is a very solid 6'1 200+ and will likely play in the 215 range. Very fast, fluid, can jump. LB is a position not to worry about over the next few years.

Feb 4, 2016, 2:19 PM

I agree we need to kick them into the end zone but if he can kick it high enough so we can pin them deep that will work as well. What I see is our kickers last year didn't get any height into the kick giving the return team time to scan the field and pick where they saw a breakdown. If the returner is waiting for the ball to come down and our coverage team gets down there then they wont have that opportunity. Thus less yards on the returns that do get returned. Kind of like our punting did this year. Although Teasdall didn't have a great average in punts this year he also didn't have many yards given up on punt returns. The same mentality needs to be placed on the KO's. Go Tigers

That my sir was Powell's philosophy on kickoffs

Feb 4, 2016, 2:22 PM

when he was here.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Burns or Powell

Feb 4, 2016, 2:25 PM

Whichever took over ST the year after we sucked without David Dunham.

This says possible Heisman contender

Feb 4, 2016, 2:21 PM

:)

Touchbacks Are Great ----

Feb 4, 2016, 2:30 PM

Kick-off coverage ...angles ....tackling are the things that need the most work going into the season. Auburn will be looking to run back a few on opening day. Need to send thst message... "" Not on us you won't ""

If only "center" was actually a position in soccer . . .

Feb 4, 2016, 2:32 PM

I am assuming he meant midfield . . . or center midfield.

Center mid or maybe center forward***

Feb 4, 2016, 4:05 PM

Given that he plays on an actual soccer team,

Feb 4, 2016, 5:45 PM [ in reply to If only "center" was actually a position in soccer . . . ]

my guess is that they call it that. If only "idiot" was an actual position on a forum board. Oh, it is.

Re: Given that he plays on an actual soccer team,

Feb 4, 2016, 7:23 PM

What he isn't thinking is like a 4-3 or 3-4 defense in football, there is different formations in soccor. The formation he plays in, probably has just a singular center position. Some people just like to think they are smarter than the world.

Re: Given that he plays on an actual soccer team,

Feb 4, 2016, 10:48 PM [ in reply to Given that he plays on an actual soccer team, ]

I agree withe the 2 responses above. There is no position in soccer as center.

It is center midfielder. And that's the key player on offense in soccer--kind of the "quarterback" as he distributes the ball and determines the attack plan on the field. Usually is the most talented ball handler & distributor on the field.

Skalski was quoted as saying "center" by David Hood but it could possibly be a misquote---he may have said "in the center" or "center mid". I've been following competitive soccer at all levels for years including my sons career and I've never heard it referred to as center.

Pinion always like to make some hits. Was great!***

Feb 4, 2016, 2:51 PM

a special teams coach needs to be hired***

Feb 4, 2016, 2:52 PM

Feb 4, 2016, 3:13 PM

The real solution to our problem is to have good kickoff (and punt return) coverage every time, like most good teams do. Then, you'll only have an occasional (Spiller type)player beat you.

Feb 4, 2016, 3:51 PM

I think you need both a kicker with a powerful leg and strong kickoff coverage. Hopefully, the kicker can boot it out 75% of the time and the coverage can take care of the other 25%. Without even looking,
I'm guessing the Tigers did not come close to that ratio this past year.

Nothing is impossible, but...

Feb 4, 2016, 3:53 PM

Kick offs would be 1 way for him to avoid a redshirt.

J/S

Feb 4, 2016, 4:04 PM

I sincerely hope our solution isn't "try to kick it out of the end zone every time".

Ding, ding, ding...points for me?

Feb 4, 2016, 4:05 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17767035#17767035

I wonder if he also has a solution for our woeful return

Feb 4, 2016, 4:06 PM

game.

Re: I wonder if he also has a solution for our woeful return

Feb 4, 2016, 4:14 PM

Much less of a concern, IMO. Only because the Tiger offense is so incredible. How many times has Clemson started a drive deep in their own territory in recent years and exploded up the field in no time to score? A little help here would be good, but not absolutely necessary. I think the kickoff coverage is much more of an issue.

I've thought about this a good bit and think this assumption

Feb 5, 2016, 7:35 AM

is wrong. No phase of the game should be neglected when it is (or should be) a relatively easy fix. It's pretty clear watching Tiger special teams that it's not a priority of the coaching staff. I think Dabo has the same mentality.. "just give our offense the ball, don't fumble."

But i disagree with this and think it's incorrect. Starting on the 35 vs the 20 or 25 can turn a FG into a TD. Or, if nothing else, help to flip the field and make opponents start deeper in their own territory.

The FSU game really highlighted this for me. We rolled up 512 yards of offense but only scored 23 points. Why? Because our starting field position was horrible for most of the game, and even a great offense like ours can struggle to drive 80-90 yards on a very good defense.

Own 25 - Punt
Own 5 - Punt
Own 42 - FG
Own 13 - Punt
Own 18 - FG
Own 25 - Punt
Own 20 - TD
Own 16 - Punt
Own 8 - FG
Own 40 - TD

10 pts on 2 drives with good starting field position. 13 pts on 8 drives with poor to mediocre field position.

Missed a couple.

Feb 5, 2016, 7:39 AM

Own 26 - Turnover on downs (mid 2nd q)
Own 7 - Punt (late 3rd and early 4th)

So actually 13 points on 10 drives with poor to mediocre field position. I'm not counting the last dive of the game where we ran the clock out.

Powell, Feaster - both should be returners for us - solves

Feb 4, 2016, 9:08 PM [ in reply to I wonder if he also has a solution for our woeful return ]

problem when NEW (HOPEFULLY)SPECIAL TEAMS
COACH KNOWS HOW TO SET UP THE BLOCKING!

Feaster***

Feb 5, 2016, 6:48 AM [ in reply to I wonder if he also has a solution for our woeful return ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its just good that somebody has been paying attention

Feb 4, 2016, 9:22 PM

We desperately need a guy to kick it out of the stadium.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2016, 7:02 AM

There are so many adjustments that need to be made on special teams, it's not even funny. We have a top notch offense and a pretty danged good defense. Scott/Elliott has the offense wired, Venables and staff have the defense well in hand. Special teams needs serious adjustments and it has to start at Dabo and go down from there. Getting a kicker that can get the ball to end zone 80% of the time (I.e. Pinion type), getting the right personnel on both the kickoff return teams and the kickoff team. We have a lazy punt return team, always depending on just getting a fair catch, there are usually 3-4 guys standing around Scott just to see if he makes the catch. There HAS to be more than this. The spring will give us a telling sign how much change/effort we see in correcting the special teams. Additionally, I like TIsdall and his punting when we are punting from our own 45 or so, but he doesn't have the leg to get us out of the endzone and driving the ball out past the 50. Some changes are afoot, guys, it will be interesting to see what they are.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic