Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Need advice from Upstate locals
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Need advice from Upstate locals

Nov 7, 2020, 8:00 AM

Minor catastrophe...we are cooking barbecue for supper, and my wife left the Brunswick stew at home in Summerville (we are at Table Rock). Who has the best Brunswick stew or hash and rice in Clemson/Pickens area? Bonus points if they also have excellent slaw.

TIA! Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Need advice from Upstate locals

Nov 7, 2020, 8:11 AM

Smoking Pig

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2020, 8:23 AM

Figured that. Hash or Brunswick stew?

How is their slaw?

Smoking pigs sides are all pretty amazing

Nov 7, 2020, 12:15 PM

Get a bunch and try them

That’s my best advice.

Nov 7, 2020, 8:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Need advice from Upstate locals ]

Smoking Pig

Agree Smokin’ Pig for Brunswick Stew but don’t believe they offer hash. Upstate hash, when you can find it is totally different from low country hash. Southside Smokehouse and Grill has good Upstate hash, which is the type I prefer, but not worth the drive from where you are.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2020, 8:30 AM

Southside Smokehouse and Grill is in Landrum, so 35-40 miles from you.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s not easy to find good hash in the upstate***

Nov 7, 2020, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Need advice from Upstate locals ]

Smoking Pig in Easley ok, or do I have to go to Pendleton?

Nov 7, 2020, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Need advice from Upstate locals ]

Easley is much closer

Nov 7, 2020, 8:45 AM

Why are you ruining good barbecue with Brunswick stew? You ain’t from Georgia or the midlands of South Carolina you’re from Summerville . You’re in the Lowcountry. You should have hash and rice son! And if you live in Summerville you’re right down the road from the best hash made! Winningham‘s in Ridgeville. I am a hash connoisseur, a hash aficionado, and I can tell you without a doubt Winningham‘s has the absolute best hash money can buy! They sell it by the gallon and whenever we barbecue we cook a big pot of rice and get our hash from Winningham‘s!!!

Second would be Sweatman’s in Holly Hill.

If I had to paint myself in a corner and pick a third it would be Dukes out of Orangeburg. Dukes in Elloree is the same, but not Dukes in the lowcountry (Walterboro & James Island) they are distant cousins but their BBQ is not as good and the hash isn’t even close!

When it comes to hash it’s Winningham‘s or Sweatman‘s hands-down!

Brunswick stew? Man you’re losing your barbecue card for that!

Nov 7, 2020, 8:49 AM

I was raised on Dukes in Orangeburg, so I don’t need any lectures on the merits of hash and rice. Strongly prefer it, but Swig & Swine has awesome Brunswick stew, and that is what we had in the freezer. Hash and rice doesn’t make it to the freezer...it gets eaten.

And as you can see, I tried to sneak hash and rice back into the conversation this morning, but all that is available here is Brunswick stew. Didn’t mean to run afoul of the ‘cue police.

Nov 7, 2020, 9:46 AM

OK, you redeemed yourself with that post! LOL!

I grew up in St. George and my mom grew up on a farm just outside of Orangeburg on Highway 21. She graduated from Orangeburg high and we have had a house in Eutawville on the lake since 1982 but my family has been Hunting, camping, and fishing on Lake Marion since my dad was a kid! So I have Dukes and Sweatman‘s BBQ in my blood!

I live on James Island now and have lived in various parts of Charleston pretty much since I graduated from Clemson in the 80s minus a few years in Columbia and about five years in Southwest Florida. Charlston has seen a BBQ explosion over the past 10 years.

I really like swig ‘n swine and part of their ownership and management group is a Clemson family.

Have you been to Lewis BBQ downtown off of Morrison Drive?

It is exceptional! He got his start in Texas with Franklin, who is considered to be the top dog right now down in Texas and his place in Austin sells out within a few hours. People start lining up at 6 in the morning waiting for them to open and they usually sell out before the end of the line gets to the counter. Louis got his start with Franklin, they got started together, and after running a few other places in the Austin area he moved to Charleston.

Then you know Dukes means Whitman Street/Pepsi plant

Nov 7, 2020, 10:01 AM

and not Chestnut

Never tried Brunswick stew until I got to Clemson (Just Barbecue)

I have never tried Lewis, but have heard good things. But barbecue to me is pulled pork, hash and rice and slaw...maybe a hush puppy or two and MAYBE some Mac and cheese.

I did try Rodney Scott’s and had a bad experience. Will stick with the tried and true from now on. I like Sweatman’s, McCabe’s, etc. Hoping Smoking Pig does me right today.

Re: Then you know Dukes means Whitman Street/Pepsi plant

Nov 7, 2020, 10:17 AM

Rodney Scott makes great barbecue and his family has been selling barbecue in Hemingway for two generations. But what they always did was just sell the meat, Which was absolutely fantastic!

But then Rodney became a bit of a celebrity because a couple of TV shows focused on food, especially BBQ, in the south along with Anthony Bourdain and of course the exploding Charleston food scene created the perfect storm for a guy like Rodney Scott to become a celebrity. Probably with a lot of pushing and financial backing by others he decided to open a restaurant in Charleston, which has had problems since day one. It is always packed with tourist and some locals, but the food is not very good. If you stick to the pulled pork and the ribs you will not be disappointed. But otherwise, it’s a disappointment. In the Lowcountry his reputation is taking a little bit of a hit and I thought it was a mistake for him to give in to the pressure and open a restaurant and get away from what he did best which was whole hog BBQ! Had he kept it simple he probably would’ve been much better off because his ribs and pork really are fantastic! I’ll swing by his restaurant sometimes and get a rack of ribs or a couple of pounds of pulled pork but that’s all I get. Skip all the other nonsense.

You will enjoy Lewis. It’s similar to what swig ‘n swine is doing and he has traditional lowcountry whole hog pulled pork and ribs as well as all kinds of other barbecue including brisket and sausage. It really is good you should try it. And don’t forget to get the southwest corn pie as a side. That stuff is fantastic!

Re: Then you know Dukes means Whitman Street/Pepsi plant

Nov 7, 2020, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Then you know Dukes means Whitman Street/Pepsi plant ]

I hear Browns over in Kingstree is very good and they’re supposed to have a fantastic buffet but I have not tried it yet.

I’m pretty much pulled pork, ribs, and as much rice and hash as I can fit on the plate. I might eat one hush puppy and a bite or two of mac & cheese off of someone else’s plate but to me that’s wasting space in my stomach! lol!

Sweatman’s‘s has very good ribs but you have to get there early on a Friday because they go quick. My dad likes to go pick up a few plates from Sweatman’s‘s early on a Friday and get a plate of ribs and eat it at home on the lake. We have not actually eaten at Sweatman’s‘s in years unless we have people visiting from out of town and we want to give them the experience of eating in the old house, but typically my mom or dad will run over and pick up some plates.

####! I’m craving Sweatman’s‘s barbecue right now because the Duke‘s BBQ on Folly Road sucks and I’m halfway tempted to drive from James Island over to Eutawville and have lunch with my mom and dad then swing by Sweatman’s to pick up barbecue and head back home to watch the game tonight! I don’t watch night games with my dad anymore because I hate driving back from Eutawville late at night because there are so #### many deer!

If he wants BBQ with Brunswick stew, it's his choice. One

Nov 7, 2020, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Need advice from Upstate locals ]

more thing, the next time I'm down near Ridgeville, I'll try this Winningham's you are talking about.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If he wants BBQ with Brunswick stew, it's his choice. One

Nov 7, 2020, 9:12 AM

They are a family owned USDA slaughterhouse in Ridgeville on Cypress Campground Road just outside of Summerville off I-26 and they make the absolute best hash I have ever had and I grew up on barbecue in Orangeburg and the Lowcountry. I eat hash and rice out of a bowl with a spoon! I absolutely love it! And Winningham‘s and then Sweatman‘s are hands-down the two best I’ve ever had!

I'm going to definitely give them a try. Sounds good. Have

Nov 7, 2020, 9:57 AM

not had good hash and rice in a while. Thanks

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm going to definitely give them a try. Sounds good. Have

Nov 7, 2020, 10:30 AM

You have to make your own rice. They sell hash by the gallon. But trust me it is well worth it!

I hope I can handle that. After all, they do make Success

Nov 7, 2020, 10:31 AM

Rice. I have gotta hand it to you, you know your BBQ or at least where to get it.

Re: I hope I can handle that. After all, they do make Success

Nov 7, 2020, 11:00 AM

I’m just a child of the 70s lucky enough to be born and raised in the Lowcountry . I was born with a rod and reel in one hand and a browning shotgun in the other! I was driving a tractor before I go cart.I had a very Huckfinn childhood with my mom‘s family from Orangeburg and my dad‘s family from downtown Charleston, Walterboro, and St. George. I spent my summers on Edisto beach, Folly Beach, the Edisto river, & lake Marion.

When I was only 10 years old me and my friends would ride down Main Street in St. George on our bicycles carrying shotguns on our way to shoot quail and dove. If a kid did that today they’d end up in jail! But that was just part of being a kid in the south and especially the Lowcountry back in the 70s.

I graduated from high school in 84 and Clemson in 88. When I was at Clemson, Tiger Town took cash and checks. Two kids on my hall in Johnstone had a computer my freshman year and it was a homemade computer. There was no cable TV, Internet, or voicemail. All my dorm room had was an old-fashioned telephone. I think it was push button but I honestly can’t remember. It might’ve been a rotary phone. Putty, not black.

Which reminds me, the only thing I’d rather have right now than some #### good BBQ and rice and hash, is a Vesuvian sub from Chanello ‘s!!! I knew their phone number by heart!

Nov 7, 2020, 8:59 AM

I was raised first on A.L. Felders barbeque in Bowman, SC. (No longer exists, but still the best I have ever had, for my money.) When they went out of business due to retirement, we started going to the original Sweatman's Barbeque between Holly Hill and Eutawville. This is still the best currently being done anywhere around here, to my view.

One of these years, I am going to make it up to the Smoking Pig. As the old saying goes, if there's that much smoke, there must be some great pig around there somewhere.

Oh, and at the risk of Shirley restarting old argumentations, in general, I much prefer mustard based BBQ over vinegar or ketchup based. Although, if done right, any of the types is more than edible! :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2020, 9:08 AM

Actually the best is a vinegar and mustard-based sauce which what Sweatman‘s has and is most common east of Columbia and the coastal half of the state. Yes it is mustard but it also has vinegar which is why it has that tangier bite!

Nov 7, 2020, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Need advice from Upstate locals ]

Good stuff! I am distant cousins with half of Bowman on my mothers side. My mom was born in Bowman. Spent a lot of time there when I was a kid and Orangeburg and Branchville and Roseville. Still love the Orangeburg County fair! I’d rather go to a good old fashion country fair than whatever that is they call it in Ladson any day of the week!

Did you ever eat at that little diner in Holly Hill owned by the Bessinger family before they started their BBQ empire?

I think the little old diner you are referring to was

Nov 7, 2020, 10:32 AM

originally "Joe's Restaurant". Under different names, it was a fixture in Holly Hill for decades. I did eat there a few times, but not when it was associated with Bessinger, I think that was later.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the little old diner you are referring to was

Nov 7, 2020, 11:12 AM

That restaurant was opened by Joseph Bessenger. Here’s the family story. Pretty great story!

Well ####, I ain’t in the mood to drive to Holly Hill/Eutawville for barbecue today so it looks like I’m having a double bacon cheeseburger, pulled pork, and hash and rice from Melvin‘s on Folly Road for lunch and dinner!

https://www.melvinsbbq.com/pages/our-story

My granddaddy was a SC meat inspector out of Orangeburg***

Nov 7, 2020, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Need advice from Upstate locals ]

Nov 7, 2020, 9:47 AM

Big D’s House of BBQ, Burnt Tanyard Rd, Tamassee, about 11 miles from you. They open at 11 am. They may have have Brunswick Stew...

Dang! Already went with Smoking Pig in Easley

Nov 7, 2020, 10:06 AM

Will definitely try this the next time...closest by far!

If you are a first time Smoking Pigger, did the food live up

Nov 7, 2020, 10:33 AM

to the reputation? National Enquiring minds want to know!

Nov 7, 2020, 9:51 AM

Nunnery and Freeman in Henderson, NC. It's about a 10-hour round trip, but worth it.

Once you passed newberry hash became nonexistent***

Nov 7, 2020, 10:18 AM

LOL! Reminds me of going into a breakfast eatery in New

Nov 7, 2020, 10:36 AM

Jersey decades ago, and asking for Grits. They looked at me like I was a Unicorn. I had to actually explain what Grits were. Their equivalent was hash brown potatoes. I like them both!

Re: Once you passed newberry hash became nonexistent***

Nov 7, 2020, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Once you passed newberry hash became nonexistent*** ]

Rice culture ends east of I 95 and it’s hard to find people that eat much rice at all once you get west of Highway 15/301/601.

As a kid in the 70s in the lowcountry we had rice with almost every meal seven days a week. Rice and hash, rice and stewed tomatoes, Rice and gravy, rice and black-eyed peas, Rice and beans, etc. And sometimes instead of rice we would have grits and grits works great with gravy of course but stewed tomatoes on top of grits is fantastic especially with fried fish! That is some big-time old timey lowcountry eating right there buddy!

My mom is about to turn 80 yet every New Year’s day the whole family still gets together and my mom has collard greens and hoppin’ john And cornbread made in a cast iron skillet! And I usually bring some oysters that me and my dad will steam outside!

Nov 7, 2020, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Once you passed newberry hash became nonexistent*** ]

Greenwood hash is the best. I grew up there and check out this video, skip to 1:38. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBF8QzjI5M0

Miss Ruth always took good care of me! jaybird4

Nov 7, 2020, 12:31 PM

After watching the video I'm disappointed that Joy's hash in Gaffney was not shown. It can be served on a bun like a "sloppy joe" because it is less "soupy" than the hash in Greenwood. However, I'd love to taste the Greenwood style.

Nov 8, 2020, 1:09 AM

Ratin65, the closest to the Hash House hash still available is at the Little Pigs in Greenwood, Lee's BBQ at Lake Greenwood, Corley's Grocery in Greenwood on Old Abbeville Hwy, and Clyde Cone's Meats in Johnston SC.

Funny.....I have had plenty of hash and rice in the Aiken area....

Nov 7, 2020, 11:59 AM

Never had it in the upstate. Thinking most of the places I have gone to in the upstate only had stew.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic