Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those with the time and have been watching ND games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,712

For those with the time and have been watching ND games

Dec 17, 2018, 12:06 PM

What kind of blitzes off the corner have you seen? Is it frequent and what impact have they had on the QB?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For those with the time and have been watching ND games

Dec 17, 2018, 12:49 PM

Stats indicate that defensive pressure is not what ND does. The teams that we’ve played that have more sacks than ND are, Cuse, TAMU, BC, PITT.
Clemson has 46 sacks, ND has 31.

The teams that we’ve played that have more TFL than ND. Wake, Pitt, coots, BC, Cuse, TAMU, GT, NCSU. I guess ND’s plan is to stand back in some kind of zone coverage and see if TL is an accurate passer. The more I look, the more I think ND is in trouble. ND is going to have to become something that they haven’t been all year. Clemson has to do what they’ve done all year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think ND is hoping for a shootout.***

Dec 17, 2018, 12:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: I think ND is hoping for a shootout.***

Dec 17, 2018, 12:57 PM

I think they are hoping we can only kick field goals and that they will put up 21-24 points.

Their AA corner basically said as much that they are a "bend but don't break defense" that doesn't give up touchdowns.

Dec 17, 2018, 1:13 PM

Clemson #11 Red Zone Offense
ND #31 Red Zone Defense

Clemson #11 Red Zone Defense
ND #47 Red Zone Offense

I think ND is gonna need a different plan.

ND is not great at stopping the run, we are.
ND is not great at pressuring the QB, we are.
I think those 2 stats equal big trouble for ND.

I think ND’s single greatest strength might be creating turnovers.

Dec 17, 2018, 1:16 PM

Yea I'm not saying I think that strategy would work, but that's the way they have done it all year.

If they truly think they belong and think they are good enough, then why would they go away from what got them there?

Dec 17, 2018, 2:30 PM

If ND thinks they can play zone and TL won't complete passes, they will have a long miserable night. ND not having blitzed much during the season kind of makes me think it's coming. Kelly knows (or should) that TL will pick them apart with no real pass rush. It will be interesting to see if ND trys to bring more pressure in their game plan to try and rattle TL.

Dec 17, 2018, 2:35 PM

I agree with what you are saying.

On the other hand, if you change your entire defensive style then you are saying what got you there isn't enough to keep you there.

It would be one thing if they were a 50/50 team and frequently changed styles for match-ups. It seems they have stuck with their strategy all year and it hasn't been to blitz.

Dec 17, 2018, 2:54 PM

TigersO said:

I agree with what you are saying.

On the other hand, if you change your entire defensive style then you are saying what got you there isn't enough to keep you there.

It would be one thing if they were a 50/50 team and frequently changed styles for match-ups. It seems they have stuck with their strategy all year and it hasn't been to blitz.

Most times we mix things up in the second half. It's been more vanilla in first half. I can only remember one corner "blitz" all year, which was the play that Julian Love scooped a fumble. We like to let our front four get pressure on their own, occasionally bringing LB Coney or Tranquill. I think we hit the Wake Forest QB 24 times like this and the rest of the games leading up to SC have been similar. (That particular game just pops out in my memory, cannot say he exact numbers on the others). My Syracuse friend was upset "Our offensive line is garbage. They did okay in every other game but you guys aren't even blitzing and our guy has zero time to throw."

In the second half, we have brought Okwara more as either a fresh athletic edge rusher or a boundary drop defender. We played way too soft in the first half against SC and had to make that adjustment to drop edge rushers to boundary to cut off short routes. I think we gave USC's receivers too much credit (they're very very talented but also young). Khalid Kareem is probably the important player on our defense that few have heard of, but is very disruptive in back field from the other end spot.

None of us know exactly what Clark Lea intends to do against Clemson. Potentially a biased opinion but I think we have the best corner tandem in the country. Where the concern lies is the drop off after and matching up
with Clemson's third and fourth receivers in the talented stable. We will have to less of the "keep it in front of you" defensive scheme than we have done all year and take a few risks. This will be the first time that we are at a disadvantage talent-wise all year, so it makes sense that we would play otherwise until now.

Message was edited by: TheGipper

Message was edited by: TheGipper

Dec 17, 2018, 3:04 PM

I'm glad you finally gave your input. It was an interesting read.

Dec 17, 2018, 3:09 PM

TigersO said:

I'm glad you finally gave your input. It was an interesting read.

Yup it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. That said I'll be taking a read more/post less approach the next two weeks so as to not commandeer your board. Think I've given a pretty good roundup of what to expect from us, thanks for any hospitality.

ND too much Ego to go away from strengths...

Dec 17, 2018, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Re: I think ND is hoping for a shootout.*** ]

They will try their base normal ND B1G Run, Run, PA Pass boring gameplan and sit back on Defense in Zone protecting against the bog play until its about 28-6 at halftime.

Then they will adjust and try to comeback. Not happening.

Bend but don’t break might work against Northwestern or Ball State but your not stopping ETN in the redzone or Higgins on the fade.

Everytine I was a condensed game I lean more towards a snoozer blowout type of game.

The best offense they have played is Syracuse or Mich and best D was Mich and then none outside of that.

We will be the best D and best O they have seen by a wide margin and on a fast track turf field as well. They will need miracles, plural, to keep it close.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ND too much Ego to go away from strengths...

Dec 17, 2018, 3:50 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens if and when ND starts sending the CBs or some type stunt off the edge and how TL reads it.
I'm not saying ND will change completely for this game but they surely will have some blitz packages the Tigers haven't seen. Either way ND can't ignore Higgins, Roger's, Ross, Renfro or the TE which leaves no one to cover a swing pass or wheel route by one of the RBs. Give ETN, Feaster or Lyn-J the ball in open space and it becomes "chunk city".

Message was edited by: saddis56

Dec 17, 2018, 4:24 PM [ in reply to ND too much Ego to go away from strengths... ]

Agreed...although I'm still nervous - pretty much always am before our games, although I think the only way we lose is if we beat ourselves. That said, when it comes to who ND has played...and having beaten Michigan who touted the "#1 D" in the country until OSU's beat down...I would agree with the previous posts about them having not played anyone this year with our talent. Prior to the OSU game some of the analysts called it and said UM having the #1 D was a little misleading because the Big10 was actually really bad this year (I think preseason people seemed to think it was a deep and good conference, clearly not so much this year), and the UM's secondary hadn't played a team with the speed and talent that OSU had on Offense...and I think the way that game went we all saw they were completely correct. UM's D, while good, was overrated at being #1.

My point to all of that is UM was ND's major win of the season, and now in hindsight we know that the UM D wasn't all that, our D is, and I'd say across the board nothing even close to anything they've faced all year.

But again, the only way we lose is if we beat ourselves - critical penalties at bad times, turnovers, etc.

Dec 17, 2018, 4:41 PM

I was nervous every game except one and Brice ended up saving our bacon that day. Lesson learned!

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,712
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic