Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ND is not a shoo in
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

ND is not a shoo in

Dec 5, 2020, 11:08 PM

If Clemson, Florida, and Ohio State win their conference title games, Bama is the fourth team. Chris Fowler is already starting the discussion like ND does not have to win. He is WRONG.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ND is not a shoo in

Dec 5, 2020, 11:12 PM

Agreed but there are several scenarios where they can lose and still get in. They need to keep it respectable and if we do not have our players healthy they should be able to.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2020, 11:12 PM

in your scenario ohio state would be out b/c of games played.

Dec 5, 2020, 11:25 PM

If we soundly beat ND, the committee can justify leaving the Irish out. They can say that a healthy Clemson with Trevor Lawrence would have won the first game. I do not see them leaving a conference champion Ohio State out. To me, Bama is the only shoo in.

Dec 6, 2020, 2:14 AM

I’m torn. Ohio St has no business in the playoffs based on number of games and SOS, but I would love for the Tigers to make them 0-5 State.

Dec 6, 2020, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Re: ND is not a shoo in ]

in your scenario ohio state would be out b/c of games played.

That was my thinking, even though Ohio State wins the big 10 conference. The resume of Alabama, Florida, Clemson and Notre Dame would be far better than any team or teams Ohio State has played

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2020, 11:13 PM

Kelly is going to be trying to run out the clock from the opening kick to make sure it’s close.

Dec 6, 2020, 12:09 AM

Fowler was also questioning whether Ross would be back for the ACCCG FWIW. Maybe he just ran out of things to discuss.

Dec 6, 2020, 12:14 AM

I don't think we beat Notre Dame if we play like we did tonight. Trevor was not sharp, same problems with the O-line, punting worse than terrible, defense fair. Hopefully we were looking forward to ND and were not as focused as we should have been. Lots of things to work on the next two weeks.

It is good to have stuff to work on. The last time we had a

Dec 6, 2020, 12:21 AM

two week break, we played our best game of the season. Let's hope this break will help us get ready.

We will need to play well!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Re: It is good to have stuff to work on. The last time we had a

Dec 6, 2020, 1:00 AM

Agree with all!

We will no doubt have to play well! It's hard to beat a team twice. Clemson has better personnel and a better coaching staff. If we have healthy players; we make enough plays to win.

Florida can absolutely beat Bama! That SECCG will be like that Ole Miss vs. Bama game or will it? Florida has a nice defense; Grantham is pretty solid. Trask is solid. Bama isn't what they use to be on defense although they have the players to be great. I think Florida beats Bama!

Florida will be in. Bama will be in. ACCCG winner will be in and ACCCG loser will be in assuming it's ND. O Cry O St. is facing the real possibility of not getting to play Michigan because of Covid-19 protocol and Big 10 rules. Even if they do: I don't believe you punch their ticket to get in. Why?

Well, more games means more opportunities to lose. They said number of games would not factor in; but it will be hard to imagine you telling a 1 loss: Clemson, ND, Florida or Bama you are not in the playoffs when you would have only lost to a top 5 team. A & M only beat Florida by 3 in TX. A&M is now a top 7 or 6 team. Plus, UF would have beaten Bama. Bama has dominated all season and is again by all the highlight fans "the greatest offense ever"! ***Heard that before strangely about the same schools team and offense*** Clemson has played: top 10 Miami and ND. ND would have only lost to #3 Clemson.

Indiana will end up being 1 of 2 teams with a winning record the buck nuts have played. Their star QB threw 3 picks against the best competition in the Big 10. Their resume does not get them past the above resumes. Of course, that's just my opinion.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2020, 9:31 AM

We have better personnel?

Gotta argue with you there. Trevor's a better QB than Book, though Book is pretty durn good, has everything but the cannon arm. Etienne is better than Kyren Williams...though again, Williams is pretty durn good. I'd argue Amari Rogers is probably better than any WR Notre Dame has.

Aside from that...I dunno. Notre Dame is way better than us up front, on both sides of the ball. Jackson Carmen is really solid for us; we've got good defensive tackles...aside from that, our guys from LG to RT haven't played overly well and our ends have been really disappointing, especially the last couple months. I'd probably take our corners over theirs though our safeties are pretty much super-high-IQ-but-too-slow Nolan Turner and a whole bunch of talented but often too-bust-prone newbs.

Notre Dame is better than us players 4-22, overall. Hopefully our players 1-3 are enough better that it makes the difference. Getting Justyn Ross back would be enormous because it would allow Trevor to pretty much just point and shoot away downfield when ND inevitably stacks the box...it might in fact even chase Notre Dame out of the box, and give Clemson some room to operate underneath again for a change.

Thanks for a dash of realism on the board Q

Dec 6, 2020, 10:17 AM

The cliche of "the game is won in the trenches" still has merit. But less merit in today's run-and-shoot world than the traditional run-run-to-set-up-the-pass world. Notre Dame's team is seasoned like last year's LSU team, but of course, less talented. Based on the closeness of Clemson/ND Game 1 with DJ at QB, it is reasonable to make Clemson a 3.5 to 4.5 favorite in my estimation, primarily due to Trevor factor - but I have to respect that Brian Kelly will have Notre Dame very ready with "the country believes Game 1 was a fluke and now ND gets to show the world who we are" rallying cry. It will be Game 1 of a tough 3-game stretch to win another natl championship, and we will not be favored in all games. This will be the Trevor and BV show -- and I agree with your assessment, similar to Deshaun's championship, Clemson will have a big advantage at QB that will have to carry this team over more talented opponents (i.e. Bama if we make it that far).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for a dash of realism on the board Q

Dec 6, 2020, 10:57 AM

I'm not sure how much of an advantage we will have at quarterback. I think Trevor is much better, but Book is the kind of QB that has always given us trouble as long as I can remember. If Book had only played like he did against us one or two times this year I would not be too worried, but he has been doing this all year to everybody. He is also an excellent passer, even on the run. Their receivers have greatly improved during the year. Out of the 22 starting players, I don't think we come close having half of our better than theirs. Don't overlook how effective their tailback was in pass protection ..... not sure he missed a block. As much aTravis has improved over the year, his pass blocking is not nearly as good as this guy ..... and like Travis, he is also a good receiver.

Dec 6, 2020, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: It is good to have stuff to work on. The last time we had a ]

quozzel said:

We have better personnel?

Gotta argue with you there. Trevor's a better QB than Book, though Book is pretty durn good, has everything but the cannon arm. Etienne is better than Kyren Williams...though again, Williams is pretty durn good. I'd argue Amari Rogers is probably better than any WR Notre Dame has.

Aside from that...I dunno. Notre Dame is way better than us up front, on both sides of the ball. Jackson Carmen is really solid for us; we've got good defensive tackles...aside from that, our guys from LG to RT haven't played overly well and our ends have been really disappointing, especially the last couple months. I'd probably take our corners over theirs though our safeties are pretty much super-high-IQ-but-too-slow Nolan Turner and a whole bunch of talented but often too-bust-prone newbs.

Notre Dame is better than us players 4-22, overall. Hopefully our players 1-3 are enough better that it makes the difference. Getting Justyn Ross back would be enormous because it would allow Trevor to pretty much just point and shoot away downfield when ND inevitably stacks the box...it might in fact even chase Notre Dame out of the box, and give Clemson some room to operate underneath again for a change.

Couldn't agree more. It's so funny, I watch us play on Saturday, get on Tnet on Sunday and it's like the discussion is not about the game I watched. Sometimes I don't recognize the team being discussed. We are suspect at best in a lot of positions and bad in a few. And if we play any of the other top 5 teams like we did VT it will be a dog fight if we are lucky or maybe it won't be. I'm not a fan of Elliot's play calling, never have been. I'm not a football mind but I've watched a LOT of really bad Clemson teams play and a few really good ones. This team is neither. I'm confident we can pull it out but it will be because of shear desire and amazing talent at a few positions. I just don't think we are stacked in talent at all positions like we have been in the past.

So We Have Issues. .. .. what team doesn't?

Dec 6, 2020, 1:34 PM

A bit of realism as somebody else posted.

Were we not in ND when we played them last? Yes! Did it take Clemson being down what amounted to 6 starters being out for them to beat the Tigers in Overtime? Yes! Did we have a freshman QB making his first road start at a top 3 opponent? Yes!
This plus the fact as an offense Clemson came into that game averaging 507.3 yards per game. You don't have to be a fan of Elliott - Dabo is! The entire offensive staff at Clemson has the ability to inject input to the gameplan - how he gets singled out solely is crazy.

We didn't lose to ND because of the offense and "the much criticized OL"! We had 473 yards and scored 40 points.
Prior to this season the last Clemson team only had to score 30 points to beat the Irish! Hmmmm!

We gave up 47. Yet, when the critics talk about advantages the Irish have versus what we have "it's the offense"!!!!
I love how "Vinny" goes about his business. But, VT - though they have an outstanding OL and top tier run game - is not balanced like ND. The 1st half was a struggle to keep them from getting 1st downs. They ended with only 1 less than we did at 18.
We want to talk real but leave stuff out so we can single out folks. None of whom deserve to be singled out or called out or criticized. The offense is top 10 and the defense is in the same position #10 nationally. But, call it down the middle.
I love all our coaches. But, I will admit, as someone who knows football "PAST THE HIGHLIGHTS AND FINAL SCORE"! We have at times not been as dominant as we should when you consider the opponent. And no, not because of them being ACC. I am not overly impressed with Alabama's opponents or Ohio State's opponents(especially) either. It's more of knowing how Clemson has recruited versus some of the opponents and not seeing that separation in talent.
This is where if you will - you can say - recruiting hasn't been good! Or maybe even that we have missed on some prospects! Everything an offense does starts up front! If you aren't getting push - you start to get limited. If you can't run effectively the defense can play you different. If you don't know all these things you will look to what a "novice" looks to to criticize. Low lying easy targets! In this case Coach Elliott.
When Davis and Skalski was out along with Jones and Zanders people were more willing to accept that? Why? The offensive line was completely rebuilt besides JC79.
None of that will help in the up coming game! I still think "ALL" of our coaches are going to find a way. BV in my opinion is the ultimate bowl coach; in that if he knows what you are going to run "he got your butt"! In a week by week scenario - every opponent seems to have done things totally different than they had been. You have to. The 2nd time around - I see this being a decided advantage from a schematic stand point. Simpson and Bentley having their feet more under them will also help as foot speed can often correct a mistake.
Tigers win because we have a better Coaching staff and players who have been in big games before!
https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team/_/view/offense/stat/total/table/passing/sort/yardsPerGame/dir/desc

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2020, 5:59 AM [ in reply to Re: ND is not a shoo in ]

I just don't think that Spiers likes the cold. Every year it seems like he starts strong and as we get later in the year and the temperature drops he has problems. Hope for a nice night in Charlotte. Certain things seem to bother our kickers. I would rather Potter to have a 50 yard attempt from the middle of the field or right hash, than a 30 yard attempt from the left hash.

Correct. ND more of a shoo in than us

Dec 6, 2020, 6:03 AM [ in reply to Re: ND is not a shoo in ]

Quite possibly the worst called game offensively I've ever seen and that's saying something because Tony has some absolute stinkers on his resume.

Dec 6, 2020, 8:12 AM

It’s time for the elusive “best football” now or the next chance will be next year.

Florida has zero chance of beating bama. Zero.***

Dec 6, 2020, 8:15 AM

ND Has Huge Following

Dec 6, 2020, 9:40 AM

In addition to their big national fan base, they have a fawning media that wants them in too. So I suspect they are in if they lose by one TD or so.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic