Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My take on the transfers ...... since none asked
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,778

My take on the transfers ...... since none asked

Jan 4, 2021, 5:40 PM

I believe that there are players on the squad who know that if they are going to be able to play and contribute to the team next year they are going to have to bust their butt to earn the playing time that they think they deserve. I suspect that they have looked at the guys they are competing with and realize that a lot of blood,sweat and tears lies ahead. Ideally that makes everyone work harder and you develop a great, deep team. If you aren’t ready to pay the price, Duke or USC will gladly give you a good shot of playing ... and losing. Great recruiting causes this kind of competition. I’m not going to complain.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

transfers will happen, my question is your thoughts on transfers coming to Clemson

Jan 4, 2021, 5:42 PM

to fill any gaps the Tigers might have from defections ???

Like both kids

Jan 4, 2021, 5:42 PM

both were relegated back to 2nd string this season and staring 3rd string down next season.

Re: Like both kids

Jan 4, 2021, 5:51 PM

Yeah, neither guy was going to start with Bresee and Tyler Davis on the roster.

My suspicion is that neither guy felt particularly great about their chances for second string either because of the younger guys behind them. Hard to tell about Ruke Orhorhoro and Etinosa Reuben because they were hampered by injuries but DeMonte Capeheart and Tre Williams are talented. Williams caught my eye a couple different times this year.

We do not lack for DT's. I'm a lot less high on our ends but defensive tackle is absurdly loaded at Clemson right now.

Re: Like both kids

Jan 4, 2021, 6:46 PM

I strongly agree with your last paragraph. DE is really a big question mark until we know what XT and JF are going to do. Even so, I would love to see one of the current freshmen (Capehart?) step up and win the tackle spot opposite Tyler Davis to allow Bresee to move on to end more. A line of Murphy, Davis, Capehart and Bresee would VERY difficult to run against, while XT, Davis, Bresee and JF would be a significant upgrade in pass rush over this year’s best group.

Re: My take on the transfers ...... since none asked

Jan 4, 2021, 6:01 PM

I'm not sure I buy in to your implication that they didn't want to work. They already proved that they work hard but the more talented guys (Davis and Breesee) in front of them are going to work just as hard. Plus some others may be just (or more)as talented such as Capehart and T Williams, and Page.

They filled in when we needed them. I will never forget Niles making the tackle on the fake kick in the Natty. I wish them great success as they look for more playing time next year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2021, 6:31 PM

I totally agree my friend. With the depth that the Tigers have these players have given all they have and it hasn’t given them that starting role that every player wants. This same situation occurs when players look to Clemson as a possible move. It’s a fierce fight every day to get playing time. I’m not sure this level of talent exists on the offensive line. What do you think? That’s an area I am especially concerned about.

Jan 4, 2021, 6:57 PM

My take: Transfer portal has three purposes:

1. Help teams who are desperately needing to upgrade at several positions. (FSU is a prime example. We need immediate help on the field in several positions next year. We can't afford for incoming freshmen to develop in 3 or 4 years.)

2. Cherry pick 1, or maybe 2, guys who can step in and help immediately. (Russell Wilson, grad transfer to Wisconsin is a prime example.)

3. Cherry pick a freshman who looks like a 5 star guy but for some reason wants to transfer. (Justin Fields is a prime example.)

But, schools like Clemson and Bama don't need to use the portal on a regular basis. Any team that recruits in the top 10 every year doesn't need to use it, if they are developing the players they recruit. They should have guys transferring out, but don't need to be panicking and going after a bunch of guys transferring in.

It's like using JUCO as the backbone of your recruiting class. Once you start down the JUCO route, it's hard to get off.

If FSU is still using the transfer portal for more than 1 or 2 players in two years, Norvell will be employed somewhere else.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,778
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic