Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My take on the UL game...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,678

My take on the UL game...

Sep 19, 2015, 8:20 AM

-We did not go to Ray Ray enough...it was open all night long for 4-8 yards.

-If we did any jet sweeps with Scott, then I missed them. I saw one fake, and then pass to him, but that play is a weapon and I would love to see it more often.

-ST's are still a problem. We don't block well enough to ever get any decent run backs on punts. We allow way too many long KO returns IMO. Heck, we'd be much better off kicking the dang ball out of bounds and giving it to them on the 35. Our D will take care of the rest. If we could kick it thru the EZ, then yes - do that.

-Peake needs to return to his previous position, and Cain needs to possibly be the guy to play Williams' position. Peake just does not look comfy in that role. Cain is not used nearly enough IMO. He could be a game changer just like Ray Ray.

That's just a few of the negative things that I see. There are tons of positives, but that would require a War and Peace novel to cover, or a computer with more RAM.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My take on the UL game...

Sep 19, 2015, 9:23 AM

I think your assessment is right on. I am watching the game this morning with a more critical eye. I wonder if the play of the O-Line might have effected the play calling. Louisville was getting consistent penetration. I call Ray-Ray Wow-Wow - In watching tthe game again, I sense a more conservative approach by the offensive side, so they were not using the younger talent as much. I would love to ask Dabo that question. How much do they really trust the younger guys. Is the fact they are on the road for the first time? I would like to think that is the case. Deon has a great play later in the game.

Sep 19, 2015, 9:29 AM

Clemson ran the ball at will against UL wether it was Gallman or DW so don't blame the oline

Sep 19, 2015, 9:39 AM

Cain has been on campus for what, 2 months? He's been working on blocking at this level for what, 2 months? He's been learning the playbook and practicing it for what, 2 months? Yeah, he needs to be our go to guy in that spot. Who back him up, Peake?

Peake's been doing those things for how long, 4 years? Maybe by the end of the season but he has to earn the position. I don't think he's done enough to earn it yet. Peake has to lose the position, maybe he's done enough to lose it but not to Cain, not yet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2015, 10:43 AM

Streaking Tiger: Was at the game and agree with your post. A solution to a part of the ST's is to use Lapik on Kickoffs. If I remember correctly, he kicked it much deeper last year than did our current kicker in L'ville.

Sep 19, 2015, 10:49 AM

I wouldn't make Cain a starter just yet, but I never understood moving peake over. Thompson and Cain are better suited for that position. We need a big body with good hands think Thompson gives us that.

my take on the jet sweep that night

Sep 19, 2015, 10:55 AM

Though we didn't see it tested much, the issue there could have been due to the O-line match up. Not sure if you noticed, but on the one where they faked it, they could have at that point have been testing it to see if they bit. I did however notice there guy in the #1 was right there and if it had not been a fake, he likely would have picked up Scott immediately for a loss. So seeing they had been bit from it in a another game, and since our USuCk game showed it quite heavily if they looked back at that film, I wouldn't be surprised if Grantham had been working to plan against it from the start. Would have been nice to see them try it, but there may have been reasons with the O-Line they didn't.

Re: my take on the jet sweep that night

Sep 19, 2015, 10:57 AM

*their guy in #1

Trevion. ..

Sep 19, 2015, 10:57 AM

I agree with everything even Cain for sure but from what I have seen I think Thompson is a guy that could play Williams spot...this kid has looked good and would love to see him get some more targets...the only thing was very dissapinted in besides ST of course is I am tired of watching leggett whiff on blocks...the kid is too good with too much potential to be as bad of a blocker I don't get it

Re: Trevion. ..

Sep 19, 2015, 11:02 AM

The game plan for these first three games is far different than what will be seen the remainder of the regular season. The short turnaround prohibited anything more than building off of the first two games and not giving the opposition much quality film to work with. That changes come October 3.

Lastly, keep in mind the likelihood the staff was well-prepared to let the defense lead the way, which furthered reliance on a conservative offensive approach, which made sense. Still, a couple of errant throws and slips/trips were all that stood between a 17 point spread.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DW was off for first time - hope because of quick turnaround

Sep 19, 2015, 11:07 AM

I have never seen him through into coverage like that and badly missing open receiver for first down last in game - never have seen him muff a pass like that! He did not have that usual spark and smile - hope he gets it back for rest of season!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well put, but...

Sep 19, 2015, 12:18 PM

I would only offer that instead of Caine, Trevion Thompson should be moved to Mike's spot. No slight to Caine, but he's new to WR. Thompson was recruited for his size, speed and smarts and he's put in a lot of work. Caine can still be mixed in but I think Thompson should be given the chance to carry the load.... IMHO

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,678
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic