Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My daughter got offered Bridge program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 301

My daughter got offered Bridge program

Feb 19, 2019, 7:16 PM

I’m interested to hear about others experience with the Bridge (personal or parents of Bridge students). We’re up here in Michigan so I guess the lower 1st year cost is a plus. Mostly I’m interested to understand if the students feel like they are part of the Clemson community. It must help that they are now housed in the on campus apartments. I know how difficult it is to get into Clemson these days (no way I could have made it in compared to when I attended back in the mid-90’s), so very excited for her.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do not tarry to get your acceptance deposit in

Feb 19, 2019, 7:22 PM

while deciding whether or not you want it. The Bridge program fills up quickly every year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do not tarry to get your acceptance deposit in

Feb 19, 2019, 7:39 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. My daughter is bridging too, so we'll get'er signed up tonight. Thanks again.

Yes, the bridge will fill up if you wait.

Feb 21, 2019, 11:40 AM

Even if you do it before the deadlines, the bridge program can fill up.

The bridge is great and there's no reason not to accept it.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Feb 19, 2019, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Do not tarry to get your acceptance deposit in ]

The invitation letter talks about firm deadlines (April 24th to confirm interest and May 1st for the deposit). Are you ensured a slot by meeting those dates or can it fill up before then? The letter doesn’t describe a race to get in before all spots are taken. Can anyone clarify how it really works?

Feb 20, 2019, 8:49 AM

Forget the deadlines, its a race. We chose not to do it because my daughter already had 30 hours of credit from Greenville Tech. So she is down at College of Charleston and very happy. We know several that bridged and all got into Clemson proper the next year. Everyone described it as if it was the same as being a "full time student".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

It is pretty much a race

Feb 20, 2019, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Do not tarry to get your acceptance deposit in ]

Re: It is pretty much a race

Feb 20, 2019, 7:55 PM

I teach at Midlands Tech which hots the same program for UofSC. Jump on this chance!! Your child will receive an excellent education and you will likely save funds in the process.

Go Tigers!!

Re: My daughter got offered Bridge program

Feb 19, 2019, 7:38 PM

My went that way 5 years ago and he liked it. I think it is even better now for the kids

Feb 19, 2019, 7:50 PM

Do not hesitate. There is a long line waiting to get to Bridge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nephew and friends son bridged. Loved it. Both doing very well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our daughter is a Junior at Clemson and our son just got accepted into Bridge. Couldn’t be happier! We know several families that have been very pleased with Bridge. A lot have said bridge classes were more difficult than their Clemson courses the second year. Outside of Greek life Bridge students are involved with all other campus activities. Especially now that they are on Campus it makes it even easier to be involved.

Feb 19, 2019, 7:51 PM

Everything I've heard has been good. They have what is arguably the best housing in Clemson. It will be a blast.

Feb 19, 2019, 8:05 PM

I have several friends that have kids that are currently in the Bridge program. They’ve been really pleased with it, and believe it’s been a very positive experience!

Feb 19, 2019, 8:08 PM

yeah it fills up fast if she wants to do it you need to send money ASAP to hold spot or just sign up and go to Tri County and then its easy to transfer over to Clemson if you want to and save a ton of cash

Feb 19, 2019, 8:09 PM

My daughter did the bridge program. She did very well and graduated on time with a Marketing Degree. At first she was distraught about not getting into Clemson. Once she got over that, she did just fine. She even took a summer school class at TriCounty to save money between her junior and senior year so she could graduate on time (the credit transferred - even had a Clemson professor teach the course). Tell you child to go for it!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My buddy's son did it and was great. I think they changed

Feb 19, 2019, 8:16 PM

the process but he had to register immediately. I know the spots filled up in like 2 days.

But, I think the process is different this year. Regardless, I wouldnt delay. I would recommend doing it based off his experience. He got football Tix and everything except no rushing.

Re: My buddy's son did it and was great. I think they changed

Feb 19, 2019, 8:25 PM

My son did it last year. He loved it and it is a good program

CU does have a new admissions director so

Feb 19, 2019, 8:28 PM [ in reply to My buddy's son did it and was great. I think they changed ]

the process may have changed. Several years ago, the first “whatever the number was” deposits received got the spots.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My daughter Bridged in 2016 and my son just got accepted to Bridge

Feb 19, 2019, 8:37 PM

In 2016 there were a limited number that filled up in about 2 weeks. Not sure how many they accept this year, but yes there is a limit. So don’t delay registering

Pros

Tuition Tri-County Tech is half of Clemson

Get accepted directly in Clemson with 30 hrs and a 2.5

In the end of 4+ years your Degree says Clemson

You can join most other clubs and buy football Tix for around $300

Cons

In 2016 the housing was off campus so there was a disconnect for the bridge student with Clemson itself they have to force thenselvws to go on Clemson campus however now housing is on Clemson campus so may be better but housing is still apartment style and freshman miss the true dorm living which to me is a real experience

Can’t join a fraternity/sorority

All in all if your child wants to go to Clemson and didn’t get in, the bridge is the next best alternative

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My daughter Bridged in 2016 and my son just got accepted to Bridge

Feb 20, 2019, 8:21 AM

Greek Life is still available but not till admitted to Clemson in the second year.

Officially, yes....

Feb 21, 2019, 11:38 AM

But I knew people that "pledged" during their freshman year in Bridge and then were full members when they got to Clemson.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Feb 20, 2019, 8:33 AM

Tell your daughter to take it. She will love it.

My wife and I were on the Parents Council for 7 years while our kids were at Clemson. I only heard great things about the Bridge program. We had a few friends whose kids did it and they loved it. Also kids who go thru the Bridge tend to do better in school.

Feb 20, 2019, 10:01 AM

I'm told that 1st year Bridge student GPAs are better than regular freshman GPAs.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess I am going to be the exception from what I read

Feb 20, 2019, 8:42 AM

From most responders. My daughter bridged and you are really paying a lot extra to be a tri-county student. She graduated from Clemson 2 years ago by the way. My wife and I are both alums so she really wanted to go. My son applied with a 1350 SAT and we don’t know about him yet as his high school dropped the ball on transcript.

He doesn’t make it in he won’t bridge. Cheaper to go somewhere and transfer. That is technically what you are doing anyway.

I recomend that you attend a local community college, then

Feb 20, 2019, 8:42 AM

transfer into the school of your choice.

It is much easier to get into the college of your choice after a year of community college.

It saves a lot of money too.

Re: I recomend that you attend a local community college, then

Feb 20, 2019, 12:44 PM

It sounds like the school of her choice was Clemson, hence his question.

It's much easier to get into Clemson through Bridge (guaranteed I believe, pending proper grades).

It saves a lot of money too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's simple

Feb 20, 2019, 8:44 AM

The Bridge program (and I'll hurt some feelings) is going to Tri County Tech but pretending
you go to Clemson.
If you can afford to have the "resort" experience, go for it. But why pay Clemson prices
to attend Tri County. The truth is, your daughter can go to any tech school in the upstate
and transfer just as easily. And if she has the Life scholarship, those first two years
are free.

Re: It's simple

Feb 20, 2019, 8:50 AM

She only has to go to Tech for one year to transfer into Clemson.

The Dude abides

I wouldn't say it's "pretending to go to Clemson"

Feb 20, 2019, 12:39 PM [ in reply to It's simple ]

Re: It's simple

Feb 20, 2019, 7:48 PM [ in reply to It's simple ]

Thanks everyone for lending some views and experiences. We’re here in Michigan so if she goes it will have to be bridge because I’m not setting my daughter loose to some community college in the upstate without the structure and housing option provided by Clemson. She’s accepted at MichSt and Indiana so she’s got strong alternate choices. However she’s grown up with a Clemson dad so she’s been sold on Clemson for years.

You are correct. Bridge is a con***

Feb 21, 2019, 11:34 AM [ in reply to It's simple ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 20, 2019, 11:59 AM

My son had a great experience with smaller class sizes. He was able to communicate with professors and get help. He adjusted well and not overwhelmed with large classes in his freshman year.He felt part of CLemson and did really well once he bridged over. Things might have changed a little since this was in 2008. We as parents could not have been happier....

Definitely jump on it and fast

Feb 20, 2019, 12:02 PM

Re: Definitely jump on it and fast

Feb 20, 2019, 6:31 PM

You're definitely correct that the student ticket procedure changes every year !!! In 2016, bridge students were able to purchase season tickets for about $150 - Regular Clemson students were waiting in line or doing the lottery.

Feb 20, 2019, 12:42 PM

The bridge program is great! In the end you graduate with a Clemson degree. It’s not how you start, but how you finish! Good luck to your kid.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 20, 2019, 12:45 PM

I attended the Bridge over 10 years ago now (2007-2008) year. At that time the campus housing was off campus and I am pretty sure its on campus now. Really enjoyed it and like most said you just need the standard 2.5 GPA and 30 hours. Very well worth it. I transitioned to Clemson real well afterwards. Good luck!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 20, 2019, 2:34 PM

My daughter bridged in 2016. She felt it was a supportive way to transition into college- she had several friends who went straight into Clemson who didn't make it past fall semester.

I can't say she felt a part of the Clemson Student body because they were living at Highpointe at that time so it may be different now. But the bridge students form bonds with each other and she is still friends with those she met her freshman year.

She is in her junior year and she couldn't be happier. I don't believe she would change a thing.

As far as finances, classes are less expensive at TCTC but the housing we paid at Highpointe cancelled any savings. I think we ended up paying the same per semester as a full Clemson student.

If she wants to come to Clemson, she should join the Bridge program. As my grandma would say, "There's more than one way to skin a cat".

Good luck with you decision.

I have a friend who’s son grew up a Clemson nut. He

Feb 20, 2019, 7:05 PM

got bridged but was determined to go anyway. It’s now February and he loves it! Tell her to go.

Feb 20, 2019, 8:18 PM

My daughter got the same deal a few years ago and initially was a little disappointed. Both parents and brother Clemson grads. She adjusted well, enjoyed it, graduated in four years, and had great Clemson experience. The new Bridge program dorms are right on campus and look awesome.

Feb 20, 2019, 8:18 PM

My daughter got the same deal a few years ago and initially was a little disappointed. Both parents and brother Clemson grads. She adjusted well, enjoyed it, graduated in four years, and had great Clemson experience. The new Bridge program dorms are right on campus and look awesome.

Feb 21, 2019, 11:19 AM

One issue to be weary of; If your daughter goes in with a lot of of AP or IB credits, she may run out of choices for courses required for her major and will end up filling her 30 hours with elective credits.

Also, watch out for prerequisites. We ran into an Econ class that was supposed to be a prereq for the next course at Clemson. However, significant portion of the content wasn't covered and she had to take the first course again at Clemson.

I spent two quarters at Greenville Tech.

Feb 22, 2019, 1:46 PM

I could have gotten in Harvard but I didn't want to drive that far to class. I'd recommend she pass on the bridge program and do a coupe years close to home. If you research the requirements for transfer credits and she sticks to only what transfers she can move to Clemson after learning how to study and all she'll have to deal with is the culture shock of getting use to nice friendly people.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2019, 2:34 PM

If she enters Clemson through the bridge program make sure she can get into the major she wants. When my daughter bridged it was a new program. When she went to register for classes her sophomore year she was advised by student advisors who assist professor’s. She was not directed by Clemson faculty. Therefore she was sort of pushed into a major and placed in 3 classes she should not have taken before taking prerequisite courses. She never was able to get into the major she wanted. We also had some housing issues too. I finally had to work with the Clemson President’s liaison. Finally in her senior year the Clemson Administration admitted mistakes and gave her a $10,000 scholarship.

I think the program has improved from some of the feed back received. My best advice would be for you, your daughter and mom stay involved with the process and make sure she is getting into the right classes. And it is very important bridging over that your daughter leaves Tri County with the best grades possible. This will position her for better opportunities to get into the major of her choice.

My daughter’s advice is to ask a lot of questions about the program, find out how difficult it is to get into the major your daughter wants if she goes through the bridge program. Learning from my mistakes parents should stay pretty involved and make sure you speak with Clemson professor’s and Department heads of majors with limited slots. For example nursing, education, communication to see how hard it will be to bridge into some of the more limited majors and what kind of GPA will be needed to get one of these slots.

By the way Tri County is a great school too. And overall my daughter would trade her Clemson experience even though we hit a few pot holes along the way. I feel it was with the effort and obstacles we had to overcome.

We will be praying for you daughters decision. Best wishes and hope she has much success.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2019, 5:26 PM

We’re working up a quick trip down to meet with Tri-County and Clemson Bridge advisors, plus trying to get a meeting with an advisor for the pre-professional studies. She’s also interested in possibly changing her major but it would still be within the science area (Biochemistry). In this case her interest is not one of the locked majors (eg nursing), but we still have questions about expectations entering Clemson her sophomore year.

I’m encouraged by the feedback about the campus housing. That could be a selling point for Bridge.

Feb 22, 2019, 5:57 PM

Our son Bridged, and it worked out great for him. I think in the long run he ended up with a higher graduating GPA, since the he needed a transition year, and the GPA slate was wiped clean at the start of sophomore year. He graduated in four in Finance.

It likely is more expensive than a community college, but he "felt" like he was a Clemson student the whole time, and that was worth something. He also got a job at the SID office and worked there the whole four years. Some of is best college friends were Bridge friends as well.

It is not a con. It is just another option to be a Tiger. I hope it works out for her regardless of her decision.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2019, 8:45 PM

The Bridge program is also a great way for Clemson to manipulate acceptance rates and scores and make sure they have a ready supply to fill in spots after other students flunk out.

Meeting with advisors is good but also

Feb 22, 2019, 11:42 PM [ in reply to Re: My daughter got offered Bridge program ]

Feb 23, 2019, 12:12 AM

Son did it last year and felt just like s student. Having a great Sophomore year now as official student. Highly recommend it.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 48
| visibility 301
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic