Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #118 'Tailgating at Sirrine Hall'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #118 'Tailgating at Sirrine Hall'

Jul 28, 2020, 9:09 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #118 'Tailgating at Sirrine Hall'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this difficult time with no Clemson sports. Long-time TigerNet member Mintaka® submitted many of Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #118 'Tailgating at Sirrine Hall'

Jul 28, 2020, 9:18 AM

I hope they do a nice job renovating Sirrine Hall when all of the business school is moved out. I had a few classes in there in the early 80's.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jul 28, 2020, 9:35 AM

I work on campus and usually walk during the lunch hour. I always walk past my two most favorite buildings on campus: Sirrine and Long halls. They have a majesty that the newer constructed buildings lack.

Jul 28, 2020, 10:47 AM

I had my classes there during the 70s

couldn't believe it was once a mill

and I will always remember sitting on the wall opposite the building watching the coeds go to their dorms on a nice sunny day

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2020, 9:43 AM

Also tailgated there lots of good times. Remember one Clemson carolina game it rained everone was inside eating and drinking lot of good fun! Played lots of pick up football in a field on the right going up to the back. Who cared about the real game going on when you are 9 or 10!

Jul 28, 2020, 9:46 AM

I still have dreams about trying to find the class where my final exam is, in Sirrine Hall.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sirrine Hall put three kids through Clemson and provided

Jul 28, 2020, 10:11 AM

many adventures! Dad taught Textile Design in Sirrine Hall for over 30+ years starting in 1951. Growing up in Clemson we would go up to a third floor classroom to watch the fireworks at Tigerama. It sure beat sitting on those wooden splinters on a cold night. However, I think the real reason we watched them at Sirrine Hall was so that my brother, sister and I wouldn't see or hear some of the salty skits that were put on back then.

I also got to wander through the textile machinery both during my younger years as a tagalong kid and a college student, never realizing that this adventure in Sirrine would take me to a 41 year carrier for the world's leader in textile fabric manufacturing.

The bad part about Dad teaching in Sirrine was that all the faculty knew him and knew me. Nothing slipped by Dad, good or bad! I had a business law teacher named Suzy Brown, she chained smoked non-filtered Camel cigarettes as she lectured. She told Dad one day that my grades in her class were borderline and asked him his thoughts. Dad said and I quote' "give him what he deserves". And she did! I probably spent an extra semester there because of it!

Re: Sirrine Hall put three kids through Clemson and provided

Jul 30, 2020, 7:48 AM

Milliken? I worked there for 36 years.

Jul 28, 2020, 12:28 PM

My dad also worked at Sirrine in the 70s-80s. I remember going with him and riding the huge freight elevator. The wide long hardwood floors creaking as you walked. bringing old bobbins home to make play swords with. Gears from the knitting machines made wheels on the cart we rode down the dirt driveway at home. good times.

Jul 28, 2020, 3:29 PM

Does the term “lint head” still exists.

If you worked in a cotton spinning or weave room, lint head

Jul 28, 2020, 3:46 PM

is still alive and well

Jul 28, 2020, 6:06 PM

We tailgate there these days, here’s a pic. Great location!

My dad used to park in front. Loved those 1pm starts

Jul 28, 2020, 6:32 PM

Used to cut out early if the game was out of hand & head to cootville as their games were always night. I grew up in a house divided

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My dad used to park in front. Loved those 1pm starts

Jul 30, 2020, 12:52 AM

As a textile major I spent many hours in Sirrine Hall from 1965-1969. I later worked in Kodel polyester fiber sales out of our Greenville office. Entertaining customers at Clemson football games was great fun. We parked behind SH for free. I once told my dad that I had to “work” on Saturday by taking a customer to a game. He wisely said “son, if your company considers that work, don’t ever leave.” I retired in 2009 with 37 years of service! Great memories of Sirrine Hall.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My dad used to teach weaving and designing

Jul 31, 2020, 10:54 PM

My father, J.V. Walters, taught at Clemson from 1936-1976 except for the time he fought in World War II. He began at the old Textile building and was professor at Sirrine Hall. We also parked behind the Textile Building for the football games. I went to my father's office many times to study between classes when I was in school from 1963-1967. I have good memories of Sirrine Hall which I called the Textile Building.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic