Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My biggest fear with Kelly Bryant
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 98
| visibility 1

My biggest fear with Kelly Bryant

Jun 27, 2018, 11:39 AM

That he won’t replicate what he did last year. Because now teams know he can’t throw. And Alabama gave out the blue print to stop Kelly Bryant. Hopefully Dabo has a short leach on KB and pulls him out for Trevor Lawrence as soon as he struggles

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My biggest fear with Kelly Bryant

Jun 27, 2018, 12:05 PM

I think he would likely be able to replicate what he did last year because he can throw, he's just not an above-average passer. It's difficult to say "Alabama gave out the blueprint" because little to no team can replicate what Alabama does from a coaching & roster perspective.

I think we all agree that TL is the future, but judging on his Spring Game performance there's a very good chance he's also the "right now". I just hope that if he's out-performing KB, he gets the nod.

Blueprint or not, that won't be replicated.

Jun 27, 2018, 6:11 PM

There are maybe only 1-2 teams in the entire country that can do what Alabama did in that game.

The reality is only Bama's horses, with a little "revenge" was going to come after our O line the way they did and disrupt . You can have all the calls, but unless you have the men like they do, or the extra juice in the tank (call it motivation or revenge) nobody is going to replicate that performance.

With that said, I'm not saying Kelly Bryant can sling it like DW either, but, I fully expect he'll be a more complete QB after 1 year. The game experience alone is Immeasurable.

However, TL needs to be brought along just like Deshaun did his first year.

The reality is, KB will be the more complete Qb to start the season, and that will last through at least 4-5 games. At a certain point in the season, though, TL will be as ready as KB. It will be a toss up as to who will be the best guy the second half of the season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Blueprint or not, that won't be replicated.

Jun 27, 2018, 7:38 PM

No it won’t be a toss up midway through the season. Talent like Trevor & former QB Watson are rare & very quick learners. Trevor will surpass the experience advantage that KB has after a few games & the competition won’t even be close!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As much as TL's arm is better than KB's.

Jun 28, 2018, 1:40 PM

and nobody is disputing that,.....KB's running ability and zone read game is equally that much ahead of TL.

if we never ran the zone read, and KB didn't have 10-20 designed runs per game, then I wouldn't debate it.

With KB being the superior runner (and it's not even a question), and 1 full year of game experience and 3 years in the system, the gap as big as you think it is.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As much as TL's arm is better than KB's.

Jun 28, 2018, 2:58 PM

You are missing one little factor though...the run game is only good if you have a good passing game to keep the defenses off balance. That's KB's crutch... His strength can easily become a weakness on a day his passing game is sub-par. Teams will then load the box, and now both look bad...KB won't be able to run anywhere, nor will the RB's.

Jun 28, 2018, 8:51 PM [ in reply to As much as TL's arm is better than KB's. ]

TL has never played a down, no experience reading CFB defenses; but actually is faster than KB(40). TL needs to be the relief QB (at best later, the alternate).
One is drop back and other can do both.
Easing TL into game will help him have success and build confidence, not that he isn't already.

He read a CFB

Jun 28, 2018, 8:54 PM

Defense in the spring game...and did pretty well. Better than the incumbent, in fact.

Now, one game does not an expert make, but don't sell TL short. Guys like him (and DW4) live to prove people wrong.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2018, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Re: As much as TL's arm is better than KB's. ]

That is such bull.... Has he played against a full 1st string in a full college game, no. But he just played a spring game against the same part of the elite defense Bryant played against of our own team, and played loads better than Bryant. People need to start giving the kid credit where it is due and not doubt that he might actually unplant Bryant during the season.

Here's his highlights... Try comparing Bryant's:
https://youtu.be/o09PY8uHcGI

Jun 28, 2018, 11:16 PM

Spring game, dude.

I'm as excited about TL as anyone. But, as a coach you don't throw them into full game situations day 1. You know nothing about developing an athlete at the proper rate.

Jun 29, 2018, 8:18 AM

No, but I know a lot about starting the wrong QB in game 3 and losing it in overtime in an away game (FSU...Stoudt...Watson) because of not making the better guy the starter by then. If he's not developing good enough against our own D in practices, they'll know it. From what I've read, doesn't sound like that's the case, especially if he's #2 already above Brice and Hunter transferred likely because he was passed before the transfer decision. It's not like we start with UGA this year... It's Furman. He'll be in situations game 1, I promise you.. Might not start that game, but he'll play in it.

Jul 1, 2018, 2:17 PM [ in reply to As much as TL's arm is better than KB's. ]

Hate to disagree with you, but KB was simply awful making the proper reads last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Blueprint or not, that won't be replicated.

Jul 2, 2018, 10:38 PM [ in reply to Blueprint or not, that won't be replicated. ]

Look at the video...our right guard and right tackle missed pass blocks all night long. KB was running for his life.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2018, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Re: My biggest fear with Kelly Bryant ]

I just watched the VT game again last night, KB was below average for most of his throws, he made 2 good throws, but most were off the mark. Against Miami he was lights out, but then again they were all short passes. After the spring game did not see any improvement, he's not consistent enough to win a Natty...

Jul 2, 2018, 9:44 PM

I’ve been critical of KB down field abilities.... but to be fair.... receivers dropped a bunch of well thrown balls. That’s not debatable

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jun 27, 2018, 12:14 PM

It would be great if he didn’t replicate what he did last year. 9 TD passes in 12 games against Power 5 opponents is atrocious. But, judging by his abysmal spring game performance, it was obvious there was zero improvement from the Bama game. Maybe summer and fall camp will be different, and maybe he’ll drastically improve his throwing abilities, but I seriously doubt it. But, just like last year, Clemson’s talent can make up for his deficiencies in route to a 4th straight playoff appearance.

Jun 27, 2018, 4:31 PM

24 total TDs in a run heavy offense with RBs like Feaster and ETN is not atrocious. He ran the offense, made plays and didn’t turn the ball over. The coaches know he’s not Deshaun Watson and didn’t expect him to be. The game plan was to roatate as many players as possible, not have turnovers and physically wear teams out. The offense did just that pretty often last year. Kelly Bryant looked like a prototypical Alabama QB. Manage the game and don’t lose. The only problem with that is that nobody is going to out-Alabama Alabama. You’re not going to beat Saban at his own game. While everyone here can agree that we need more from the passing game to beat Alabama KB is not atrocious.

Jun 28, 2018, 10:28 AM

KB is a good runner, that’s obvious. But, when defenses take away his legs, he becomes an ineffective QB. We saw that play out throughout the entire season. 13 rushing TDs for a QB is pretty impressive. But, when we faced good defenses, his inabilities in the passing game completely derailed the offense. He’s a QB that is good at one thing, and that one thing can be taken away simply by stacking the box and forcing him to beat you through the air. Bama wasn’t the first team to make Clemson’s offense, and KB for that matter, look bad. They just did it better than every team Clemson played. The spring game, for me, was enough to see that KB’s ceiling hangs really low. We saw no improvement with him. His accuracy on passes thrown beyond 10 yards was just as bad as it was during the regular season. Again, maybe summer and fall camp will help, but that seems unlikely.

Jun 28, 2018, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: My biggest fear with Kelly Bryant ]

yep he 'ran' the offense because that's about all he can do. He had 0 ability to actually run the offense himself outside of the coaches like Watson could. If TL is who we think he is then he can run the offense and change play calls based on the defense

Jun 29, 2018, 12:16 PM

Do you expect all of our QBs to be like DW4? If you do you will be in for a lot of disappointment. To say that KB did well is not a stretch. We all know he is not the best passer but Miami started the game playing to take away the run. KB completed over a dozen passes without an incompletion to start that game in spite of not being the best passer. We all know TL has more upside, a lot more upside. I’ve said on here several times that I believe TL takes over sooner than most people think. Last year we played a lot of smash mouth and won. That’s what my post boils down to. KB was not “atrocious.” While he was not a scoring machine he also was not a turnover machine. With running backs like we have he didn’t need to be either. We lined up and punched teams in the mouth last year. We rotated players and wore teams down. It’s not the sexiest way to win but it worked until we played Alabama. And before you say it I already said the we’re not going to beat Saban at his own game. We need another DW4.

What I don’t understand is that anytime anyone says KB did a good job last year we get the same lecture about his weaknesses and why we can’t win it all with him. WE ALREADY KNOW THOSE THINGS. KB did well for us last year. He wasn’t the second coming of Cole Stoudt like some of you thought he would be and he did a good job doing what he was asked to do. Give the man some credit. He’s a good kid who is dang lucky to even be playing the game. We don’t need to hear this stuff every time his name is brought up and someone gives him props. My response was to a coot troll. Not to Clemson fans itching to have a QB debate.

Jun 28, 2018, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Re: My biggest fear with Kelly Bryant ]

24 total TD's is not bad??? Yeah it is... When your last 2 QB's prior did over 30-40 TD's in just passing alone each year... It's no where near par when you compare total TD's counting both running and passing to Boyd or Watson.

Boyd's last 2 years, he had 46 & 44 total TD's
Watson's, 47 & 50...

Still think 24 looks good??

Jun 29, 2018, 3:33 AM

Did you consider the weapons boyd and Watson had? Probably not.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2018, 8:23 AM

Yeah, and? Watson didn't have Mike Williams a full year (neck injury)... Did it with the same weapons KB had in Cain, and Renfrow... And Scott that went undrafted in the NFL draft. Don't see much difference... Considering RRM that Bryant had was drafted, unlike Scott.

Jun 29, 2018, 7:52 PM

It’s actually hilarious that some people believe 24 TDs is good. With Clemson’s weapons, offensive line, and schedule, I think it’s objectively bad. Tajh was mediocre, and he still put up far better numbers than KB. 9 TD passes in 12 games against Power 5 opponents is just awful. This board would ridicule any other QB that put up those type of numbers.

Jun 29, 2018, 9:00 PM

The receivers were inconsistent and on a constant roatation but you fail to mention that. KB was one of 16 finalists for the Davey O’Brien award. People outside of Clemson seem to think he did alright. He did what he was asked to do. He wasn’t supposed to be the man like DW. We didn’t need him to be.

By comparison Jake Bentley had 24 total TDs and more ints against weaker competition in an offense that relies on him to be the man. You come on here and bash KB all you want but the fact of the matter is he sat on the bench in the fourth quarter against your coots because his team had already run up the score.

The game plan last year was to grind teams down with a run heavy offense and rotate a lot of players. We did that over and over again. KB did a good job doing what he was asked to do.

Jun 30, 2018, 4:37 PM

Stating facts about KB doesn’t make me a coot. I’m a Clemson fan that recognizes that KB is a below average QB. His arm talent and down field accuracy are abhorrent. It is funny that you mentioned Bentley. He’s a QB with a worse offensive line, his best WR missed 10 games, and his starting RB missed 6 games. South Carolina doesn’t have Clemson’s talent, and they especially don’t have Clemson’s depth. This board rips Bentley and laughs at the numbers he put up. And I agree that he isn’t very good, but KB had similar numbers with far better talent around him. This board glosses over that fact. Also, I wouldn’t talk about South Carolina’s schedule being so bad, Clemson’s was as well. South Carolina also had to play two playoff teams, Clemson did not. Clemson caught Auburn at the beginning of the season, and were blessed that Florida State lost their QB week one.

Jun 30, 2018, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Re: My biggest fear with Kelly Bryant ]

But it's the same inconsistent receiver Watson had in 2015 when Williams was out...Cain. That reasoning doesn't fly fully when the receiver is the same guy... What changed was a different QB, and we saw different results... Interesting how people don't think KB might have been throwing Cain off too. Cain didn't seem to have an issue with Watson, either year...KB's year though, he did. Is it fair to think it was only Cain?

Jun 30, 2018, 11:20 PM

Did you watch any games last year? The skill players were rotating every series. There was a new group out there in almost every series. Go back and watch the games. The staff was questioned about this because fans thought it made the offense inconsistent and Dabo’s response was that he had a lot of guys that deserved to play. We did not roatate skill players as much as we did last year in the previous seasons. Like I said if he sucked like some of you seem to think then why was he chosen to be one of 16 Davey O’Brien Award finalists? We all know he’s not an elite superstar but it’s far more of a stretch to say that he stunk it up all the time than it is to say he did a good job last year. Why even bring up what DW did? I’ve already said it so many times in so many different ways that KB is not DW. I will repeat the same thing to you that I said in one of my posts above. If you expect all of our QBs to be as good as Deshaun you will be severely disappointed in your experience as a Clemson fan. You’re as old as I am. You’ve seen a lot of Clemson football and you already know this but I’m with you. I believe TL is that type of QB and we will see him take the starting job sooner rather than later. When this happens our offense will become much more dynamic but again that’s just my opinion. None of us know the future but anybody who knows anything about football can see TL has more upside than KB. I will trust the coaches to decide when he’s ready.

Jul 1, 2018, 3:54 PM

You can stay up his butt all day long of you want... You won't convince me he's a great throwing QB. Wasn't as a backup to Watson, still wasn't last year ( stats back that up), wasn't in the spring game this year either.

He's mediocre at best, and I'd wager with you that by mid season, he won't be the starter. TL saying at #2 with Johnson transferring says he's near ready. Would you put a "not ready" guy as your #2, and allow a 5 star that has been in the system a year transfer?? Don't doubt the coaches... But all you've seen is the post spring move him to #2... Wonder what the fall will bring.

KB had over 1000 yards less than his last two dual threat predecessors.... And over 10+ less passing TD's, and nearly half of their total TD's. He a great runner, a good game manager, but he's never been a great consistent passer.

Jul 1, 2018, 5:05 PM

When did I ever say he was a great passer? Up his butt because I say he did a good job doing what he was asked to do? You really stoop to that just because I don’t throw a player who played his heart out for under the bus? Grow up dude.

Do you read anything or do you just assume you know what I’m saying? Why do I find myself copying and pasting stuff I’ve already posted when I communicate with you? You allow your emotions to override your attention to detail and reading comprehension. Here let me do that with the post you just responded to:

I believe TL is that type of QB and we will see him take the starting job sooner rather than later. When this happens our offense will become much more dynamic but again that’s just my opinion. None of us know the future but anybody who knows anything about football can see TL has more upside than KB. I will trust the coaches to decide when he’s ready.

NEVER I REPEAT NEVER have I ever made a case for Kelly Bryant to start over Trevor Lawrence but you seem to inject that thought into every post I make. NEVER HAVE I EVER even remotely suggested that KB was comparable to DW4. Please READ before you respond. Until then I will continue to throw the TUs your way and have your back on most things but trashing KB isn’t one of them.

Jul 3, 2018, 12:04 PM

1. For the record, talking about a player's improvement areas is NOT throwing a player under the bus. Saying KB is a mediocre thrower is no different than saying Etienne needs to work on his blocking, or that our OL right side needs to work on their blocking. It is being "up his butt" if people put him on a pedestal of "improvement areas can't be discussed" while discussing the same thing of other players. It's an issue he had, anyone with eye that DID watch the season saw it. Telling people "did you watch the season" and thinking they are going to act like they didn't see him under throw receivers some and throw several receivers 10 feet above their heads (just like he did again in the spring game btw) is absurd. Could care less if he was "a finalist of 15-20"...was he in the top 4, top 10? No. OK, so he wasn't a real finalist. There is nothing wrong with people discussing it like they do any other player or area that needs improvement.

2. I have read your posts, and also can tell that you think everyone only compares him to Watson:
response to A912: "Do you expect all of our QBs to be like DW4? If you do you will be in for a lot of disappointment. To say that KB did well is not a stretch. " I mentioned Boyd earlier myself as well...which also had 10-15+ passing TD's more than Bryant and over 1000 more passing yards both years (with near equal rushing TD's as KB...10 each year of his last 2 years). But he did it with far less talent (yeah, he had a Watkins and a Hopkins....but then he had an inconsistent Peake, an inconsistent Bryant, a Hopper that eventually walked away from football...a "lazy" Leggett (not the NC game Leggett)...and yet still, produced far better than Bryant as well.

Jul 3, 2018, 12:14 PM

And if you are wondering the real comparison I personally am making with where he really is, I've posted it on the forum before:

^ He's IMO slightly worse than Parker or Whitehurst passing wise....note, his passing stats are barely better than theirs, except Parker had more TD's...but KB had 4 & 5 star receivers 2-3 deep surrounding him. Parker and Whitehurst didn't quite so much...yet KB didn't exactly blow their numbers out with those 4 & 5 stars...nor did he get anywhere close to any recent elite QB's, nor Tajh Boyd. Yardage, Cam may be close... But then you see he had 30 passing TD's as a dual threat, vs KB's less-than-half-that 13... So no where near the same ballpark.

Jul 3, 2018, 12:53 PM

Even I said he’s not the best passer. All anyone has to do is say something positive about KB and we get the same lecture every time. I said he did a good job doing what he was asked to do. That’s it. Some of his inconsistencies weren’t his fault some were. It’s just like some of DW’s many ints were his fault some weren’t. In all of your criticisms you seem to repeat back to me things I have already said. The bottom line is this:

I think KB did a good job doing what he was asked to do. You don’t. That’s the way it is and that’s ok. I’m just saying I don’t need stat sheets about his passing game or anything else. I saw his strengths and his weaknesses just like you did.

Jul 3, 2018, 1:56 PM

I think that's the thing. We aren't really saying quite the same thing. You're saying he did good at what he was asked to do, I'm saying he didn't as much as some seem to believe. Managing games, he did... Overall, though, things were hit or miss.

Let's see if this makes more sense. I've pointed out how his passing was...which we agree was mediocre, no where near elite and likely not going to keep off TL if it doesn't improve. However, I am also pointing out that his rushing stats, as a run strength guy, aren't as strong as you and some others are seeming to perceive. Also something that was hit or miss depending on the team played. Note I'm showing that Boyd 2 years straight had only 3 less rushing TD's than KB did, in years he threw for 20+ more TD passes and 1000+ more yards. Wouldn't you think for a run strength QB with that much less of a passing game that his rushing would have been stronger than only 3 TD's and 150-200 yards difference than a guy that didn't even get drafted by the NFL? He only had 665 yards rushing.

Even comparing to Watson the year DW4 was more run heavy, KB had 440 less rushing yards (66% of his total year rushing yards less) and only 2 more rushing TD's than 2015 DW4...a year Watson threw for 4,104 yards and 35 passing TD's (1,302 more yards and 22 more passing TD's). Yes, I know he's not DW4 elite, but that's a big difference, in both areas....even the one that is his strength.

Jul 3, 2018, 3:05 PM

I would say that DW is the best runner out of the 3 pretty easily. KB was certainly not as good in the passing game as either one of them. KB is not an elite running QB but he’s good at it. Again stats are not the end all be all for comparison here simply because Tajh and DW didn’t have RBs as deep and talented as KB. DW and TB had to shoulder more of the load in the run game than they probably should have. Their passing ability opened up the run game. Last year it was just plain old smash mouth football and you and I both know it was that way mainly because of KBs limitations and inconsistencies in the passing game. We won’t beat Alabama that way.

What most were expecting last year was another 2014. It didn’t happen. I pretty much knew it wouldn’t happen for one reason: KBs legs made him much more dangerous than CS. After September was over I was quite surprised at how well he did. KB far exceeded my expectations even though admittedly I was disappointed in the drop off in the passing game after that. Still, he had an outstanding game in the ACCCG and we made the playoffs in a year that was supposed to be a rebuilding year. That to me is a good job. Much better than 2014. I won’t ever knock it not after watching Clemson for three and a half decades. Last year’s team kind of reminded me of the 80s which is not bad but we need that high flying offense back to go with our strong defense. We need a true dual threat back there with elite arm talent to beat Bama. Don’t believe the hype. Bama is still king until we can knock them off. Saban won all those championships without an elite QB and now it appears that he may have one. Hopefully we have a better one because that is what it will take to win. KB clearly isn’t it so all of our hopes are pinned on TL. In spite of all of that I will never take away (in my mind and you can disagree) from what was accomplished last year by KB and the rest of the team. Just know that if you see me giving props to KB I’m not weighing in on the QB debate nor am I saying he’s elite at anything. All I’m saying is I appreciate the job he did. He exceeded my expectations for sure.

Jun 29, 2018, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Re: My biggest fear with Kelly Bryant ]

TB10 could've most likely won the national championship last year with that team.

Jun 29, 2018, 10:33 PM

As much as we would like to think that Alabama overwhelmed our offensive line. If you want to know what Tajh did when that happened go back and look at FSU 2013 or any of the coot games with the only exception being the 2013 game. I love Tajh. Great player, in fact legendary in our program, but there were times when he didn’t handle pressure well at all. Maybe we would’ve beat Bama with him. Maybe not.

Jul 2, 2018, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Re: My biggest fear with Kelly Bryant ]

I think Tajh far surpassed mediocre. With the exception of scar games Tajh played lights out. He was a great young man and still is a threat ambassador for Clemson

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jul 1, 2018, 6:14 PM [ in reply to Re: My biggest fear with Kelly Bryant ]

why was it run heavy???? Sure wasn't the receiver corps... called game management by the coaches, KB made just enough good throws, he did not make them consistently...

Jun 27, 2018, 8:23 PM [ in reply to Re: My biggest fear with Kelly Bryant ]

was almost like Bama stole all his confidence.

Jun 28, 2018, 2:02 AM [ in reply to Re: My biggest fear with Kelly Bryant ]

This coot here .

DB23

You nailed it. All a team has to do to beat Clemson in 2018

Jun 27, 2018, 12:27 PM

is do what Alabama did in 2017.

The blueprint is out there. Be as good as Alabama in 2017 and hope Clemson isn't better than they were last year.

Did I miss anything?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right - Bama’s players had nothing to do with it!***

Jun 27, 2018, 12:49 PM

Re: You nailed it. All a team has to do to beat Clemson in 2018

Jun 28, 2018, 12:48 AM [ in reply to You nailed it. All a team has to do to beat Clemson in 2018 ]

Everybody seems to forget that it was Syracuse who laid out the blueprint for beating Clemson . They came out with a quick, run game and their line had our d -line on their heels early .I'm pretty certain Saban saw the Syracuse film to see how in hell they beat us .

Jun 27, 2018, 12:27 PM

not sure what the size of the leech would make. pretty disgusting either way. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

KB did himself no favors by

Jun 27, 2018, 12:47 PM

looking like a freshman walk-on in the spring game

8/15 for 35 yds. and 1 int.

Should have been a walk in the part for a seasoned veteran ... with the defense cut in half.

Some truth to this.***

Jun 27, 2018, 12:50 PM

Re: KB did himself no favors by

Jun 28, 2018, 9:49 AM [ in reply to KB did himself no favors by ]

He also played like a freshman walk-on in the 2017 spring game, but it didn't matter by August.

So all they gotta do is field a defense as good as Alabama

Jun 27, 2018, 12:52 PM

Not a problem, they just need elite 5* blue chip players at every position. Bama wrote a blueprint for this - just have a world class NFL prospect at every single position on the defense so that you can sell out versus the run and not get beat by KB. Easy blueprint for any team to follow!

Teams knew he wasn't a great passer last year. Trust me.
The difference was we averaged 200 rushing yards/game versus any team that didn't have an elite defense.

Jun 27, 2018, 1:37 PM

Jun 27, 2018, 1:47 PM

What if, Jessy, based upon your fear, Dabo benches him, he spirals into criminally insane madness, becomes a phsycho-killer, and comes after you personally. That should be a bigger fear.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2018, 2:49 PM

I think this is either the most brilliant analysis and probability projections evuh or that you are one sick puppy, or possibly both. In any event, this gets my vote as poast of the day.

Why is that your biggest fear? If that's the case he won't

Jun 27, 2018, 2:10 PM

be the starting QB for long.

IMO the worst-case scenario with KB2 is that he plays just well enough to hang onto the starting job all year and then isn't good enough at the end of the year again. And that's really not an awful scenario even though it leaves us short of a national championship.

Is Dabo using leaches now for punishment???

Jun 27, 2018, 4:33 PM

“Hopefully Dabo has a short leach on KB”

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the charade continues***

Jun 27, 2018, 5:46 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kelly Bryant can throw well enough to beat anyone.

Jun 27, 2018, 6:43 PM

He just needs more time in the pocket than Bama would or will allow. Unless our coaches come up with a better plan to protect him against Saban we will take another curbstomping from them in the playoff. Yes, part of KB's problem was his inadequate protection.

Bama's D ran all over our offensive. We failed two ways, consistently and miserably.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please stop with the idea that Alabama

Jun 27, 2018, 6:46 PM

came up with some sort of new blueprint. They just so happen to have the most talented roster in the country.

Jun 27, 2018, 7:29 PM

He will pass the ball like last year.

Jun 27, 2018, 7:40 PM

He will pass the ball like last year.

Or Demolish your chickens like last year....

Jun 28, 2018, 6:45 AM

You are not a coot if you speak the truth. Bryant struggled in the last half of the season in completing passes downfield. He looked horrible in the spring game. Lawrence is another Watson.

Jun 28, 2018, 11:47 AM

You’re right. His statistics dropped in just about every category through the progression of the season. Seeing that it was his first season at the helm, you would have thought that he would have trended upward with experience. That wasn’t the case. That’s not being a hater, that’s just the facts

Jun 29, 2018, 3:34 AM [ in reply to Re: My biggest fear with Kelly Bryant ]

But tiger Michael IS a coot. Can't hide it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2018, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Re: My biggest fear with Kelly Bryant ]

You are not a coot if you speak the truth. Bryant struggled in the last half of the season in completing passes downfield. He looked horrible in the spring game. Lawrence is another Watson.

But you're a coot...

Kelly Bryant- in a nut shell

Jun 27, 2018, 8:21 PM

with the weak teams we face in the ACC. Kelly Bryant only faces two "real"
challenges, and some may even dispute those.
At A&M and at FSU. Just like last year, this is a very, very talented team
which doesn't need a whole lot from the QB position to waltz through the
reg season and back to the ACCCG.
So the question isn't can Bryant lead this team back to the PLAYOFFs, is can
he lead this team to another Championship. And that's still up for debate.

After the Watson/Stoudt debate in 2014. Most fans were optimistic that situation
wouldn't happen again. Least not any time soon. But I am pretty sure it did w/
Bryant and Johnson.

Fast fwd 2018, here we are again with Bryant and Lawrence. I hope the staff makes
the right choice. And not at the exspense of the season ending pre-maturely.
Which is very possible.

So sure, can we win with #2....Sure. But another NC, I doubt it. But we'll see.
Stay tune.

Re: Kelly Bryant- in a nut shell

Jun 27, 2018, 8:38 PM

I think KB could get us through the regular season but I think it's safe to say that to win another national championship, we'll have to beat Alabama. Can Kelly do it? Can TL do it with a regular season under his belt? The coaches have to decide which route they're going to take.

Jun 28, 2018, 11:51 AM

We don’t need a repeat of last year. The definition of insanity it doing the same thing, the same way, but expecting different results.

Jun 28, 2018, 12:03 PM

we under performed on offense in every game last season except against the citadel. def don't want to see that again

Jul 3, 2018, 4:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant- in a nut shell ]

If I can be alil' selfish for a moment...
Johnson leaving might have been a good move for him, but not so much for Clemson.

For Clemson, it was added pressure for Kelly Bryant to perform. Trying to fend off
not 1, but 2 very talanted Qbs.
With "just" Lawrence- the coaches could sell the notion ( for a little while) that
he's just a Fr. and needs time to learn. But not with 2 nipping at KB's heels.
Plus!
what if, what if Trevor went down, whos going be there to keep the position honest?
No one.
As good as Bryant did last year, I don't buy for one minute he was the better choice
over Hunter Johnson. I didn't then, and I don't now. I wish Johnson the best at NW.
But yes, I wish he was still here.

Jul 3, 2018, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Kelly Bryant- in a nut shell ]

Boston College trap. Not probable, though.

Your biggest fear should be that Jake DOES replicate his

Jun 27, 2018, 8:49 PM

performance next year.

Jun 27, 2018, 11:46 PM

KB can throw just fine. I watched him throw two very nice deep balls against Auburn and made some nice 3rd down throws to Renfrow. I’m pretty sure after that ankle injury he wasn’t the same until the Carolina game.

What I don’t think he was capable of last year was making changes on his own at the LOS or making great presnap reads for big plays. He may have a better grasp this year and let’s hope Tony Elliott scraps all screens to receivers running away from the LOS and limits KBs carries to half of the RBs. Either way TL should be ready by October.

Jun 28, 2018, 12:07 AM

I agree. I think KB ran the ball too much at times. I think we have a steady dose at tailback this year with Feaster/Etienne/Choice all rotating in. But I know pass pro will be big deal and probably a point of emphasis this offseason. Elite defenses like Bama’s didn’t t allot KB much time to make a decision and anyone could see that he struggled making pre-snap reads. He should greatly improve in that aspect this year. However, I am of the opinion that TL needs a few series per game at minimum in order to prep for next year as this will be his team for the next three years.

Also, one thing that’s not being talked about is our insane depth at defense across all positions. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much talent on one side of the ball. We are neck in neck with Bama on that side of the ball for sure.

Jun 28, 2018, 8:50 AM

TL won’t be here 4 yrs. so I guess you were against DW4 playing his freshman year even after all the coaches said this year after spring that TL is physically more developed and ready than DW4 was...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: KB can throw just fine

Jun 29, 2018, 12:41 AM [ in reply to Re: My biggest fear with Kelly Bryant ]

Go back and watch those deep throws again. Ray Ray had such great position on the DB and maintained it through the catch, even though the ball was so far underthrown the DB could have stopped, looked up, found the ball, danced a jig, and still broken up the pass. Ray Ray adjusted to the ball and never tipped off either the DB or the casual fan watching at home how underthrown it was. The only great aspects of the throw was that it went over the DB (and RayRay's shoulder) and Kelly kept it in bounds. McCloud demonstrated great ball skills, and Tee Higgins doesn't have that one yet.

I read where people talk about our inconsistent WR play last year, and i shake my head. Anytime a receiver has one on one coverage with no safety help, HE IS OPEN. The QB simply throws to the side away from the DB so his guy can protect the ball. He might have to loft his throw over the DB, but if the QB knows where the safety is, he can complete passes for big yardage. But i don't think KB ever knew where the defensive help was coming from, and because he didn't want to risk INTs, he rarely risked big plays. So were the WRs inconsistent, while playing with QBs that could not get them the ball and sometimes barely tried to?

Re KB runs: you do know KB has the option on most runs to keep the ball, right? How you gonna tell him not to choose himself? Did James Harden ever stop shooting? Is KB ever going to stop choosing himself?

In fairness to KB, many defenses now are teaching their guys to take the RB and let the QB run "wild". The RB is usually much more dangerous than the QB. When calling the RPO, you sometimes have to take them by surprise so their discipline doesn't kick in. Otherwise the QB will run all night long.

Not even gonna address KB creating his own sacks right now. It's bedtime

Jun 30, 2018, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Re: My biggest fear with Kelly Bryant ]

Interesting... He can"throw just fine" against Auburn, a team the only two TD's we had were his runs.... So, since he can throw just fine against them, why didn't he have a single passing TD that game?

Re: just fine

Jun 30, 2018, 6:14 PM

Kelly had a 32% completion rate on deep balls during the regular season.

He had a 25% TD rate on those completions. This was on FBS-opponents with just under 50 deep attempts out of over 300 total attempts.

So roughly 8% of the time he went long, we scored. Our WRs, who have superior route running and body positioning skills, most with great speed and good hands, get one on one coverage deep after lulling the opponents to sleep with the running game, and only 4 times did our guys catch a pass and go the distance.

I'd have to check on DW4's numbers to see what's reasonable, but we're not supposed to compare the 2 guys. I would guess more like 45% completion/40% TD with a total attempts # near 125.

Beware of those "short leaches"! They can suck the blood

Jun 28, 2018, 12:32 AM

out of you, just like the tall ones!

Jun 28, 2018, 8:09 AM

My fear is Trevor can’t physically hold up 15 games his true freshman year. Coaches know he is the future, so why risk injury early. He will be needed to bring home a NC.

Jun 30, 2018, 8:15 PM

I don't know why anyone would think that. You can't just look at DW4 to think it... He had a knee issue in his HS years... As a matter of fact, it was the one he just injured in the NFL.
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2014/01/06/watson-among-six-early-enrollees-for-clemson/4335191/

I don't think TL had any in his HS years.

Jun 28, 2018, 9:01 PM

Everyone needs to relax about KB. I, too, see the promise of TL. But this year, our running game will be better, our receiving corps is better, and our TE lineup will be better. Last year, we were short on reliable weapons. I have always thought that KB is an overrated runner and an underrated passer. With more reliable weapons and a year of experience under his belt, he will be markedly better in both his running and passing game.

I went back and watched Watson's first year, and he wasn't a world-beater. Lots of picks, indecision, etc. Reminded me of KB last year.

Regardless of our quarterback through the season, we can beat anyone with either KB or TL.

I am just ready for the season....

Jun 29, 2018, 8:19 AM

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Jun 30, 2018, 12:30 AM

Fear the thumb, Fear the other hand, Fear both feet

Jun 30, 2018, 3:59 PM

90-17

Kelly Bryant didn't do much last year and won't this year

Jul 1, 2018, 6:34 AM

The DL did most of everything last year by keeping other teams offense off the field and giving Kelly Bryant another chance to move the ball again and again and again. Over and over and over again. This is the last year that we will have two 5 star true defensive tackles on the field together. It's a shame the season will be wasted by a QB that can't utilize our offensive weapons. We need to start Trevor Lawrence and use KB for something else.

^wonders why his pulse is so low***

Jul 1, 2018, 6:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^wonders why his pulse is so low***

Jul 1, 2018, 8:50 PM

Well, it's not because he's wrong.

Because he uses language that we Southerners construe as disrespectful.

I'm sure his pulse would be higher if he added a whole paragraph about how he loves and respects KB (a person most of us have never met) but it's too bad that facts indicate that, outside of his leadership qualities (which never put actual points on the board), Kelly is a very average QB.

Replace the name Kelly Bryant with Zerrick Cooper and ask yourself if you would still TD the commenter. Dabo still speaks highly of ZC as a young man/student athlete, but his skill set and performance never reached the potential the coaches saw when they offered him the scholly. So how many lines or paragraphs are we required to use to blow smoke rings before we criticize ZC?

Some of y'all want all comments to be sunshine and roses. That would be fine, if you allowed us to discuss the differences between the roses. But that wouldn't be fair, would it? Somebody's feelings might get hurt. And don't even try to discuss differences in degree of sunshine, when TL has said he doesn't like that nickname.

For being a science-based school, some of you can't handle analytics very well.

Must have bern introduced after you graduated.

Jul 2, 2018, 3:36 PM

Since you’re an analytics guy - why is Kelly Bryant ranked the #1 returning ACC QB in adjusted completion percentage if he’s so darn... average?

Jul 2, 2018, 11:11 PM

Do you honestly believe that stat means he is an accurate passer?

I think it means that Coaches Scott and Elliott work very hard to help him be successful, and KB has learned to play within his capabilities, except when the season is on the line and he has to take more risks.

85% of KB's passes were under 15 yards. That's the bottom line. (He only completed 32% of deep balls during the regular season, even though his WRs were frequently grossly underthrown.)

He completed almost 80% of these short passes but for a very low avg gain. These include: WRs matched up on LBs (where the coaches created mismatches but KB had to recognize it); lots of 5-yd hitch routes (where the WR sets down in the hole in the zone, and KB has to get it to him before he gets covered, but notice that the WR is usually standing still for this); bubble screens that frequently lost yardage, because even Cole Stoudt threw a more accurate bubble screen pass than KB does; and pop passes that are almost impossible to mess up. Occasionally a WR would break a tackle and go for good yardage--that is the goal of our offense, to get the ball in the hands of playmakers on the perimeter, so the goal is to complete passes in such a way to allow Yards after the Catch.

In the ACCCG against Miami, KB completed his first 15 passes. That's good, because some of them were vertical and had actual depth, and forced the defense on its heels. But there were also times when he had to complete 3 passes to get a first down. Is that what the Clemson offense should be in the future?

And lest we think that is some kind of great achievement (Yes, I know it's a record for the brief history of the ACCCG), let me remind you that Ryan Finley for NCSt did the same against us in Raleigh--but only had a 21-17 lead when his first ball touched the ground. (KB led 21-0.) He eventually lost the game. My point is that completing a high pctg of passes does not guarantee a win unless you are moving the sticks AND your defense and special teams have also come to play.

KB also cannot complete a crossing route to save his life--unless he is on the move himself. We should probably cut him some slack because we lost our 2 best pass-catching TEs after 2016--one to graduation, 1 to injury--but are TEs the only receivers that ever cross the middle for Clemson now? Cain and Renfrow both burned opponents big-time in 2016 on crossing routes. They were available all of 2017.

My point is not to say that KB is a bad QB. Just an average one, with strong leadership qualities. He is willing to do what the coaches say and be very conservative to be successful, which usually means riding the backs of the Power Rangers after the offense goes 3 and out (against strong defenses. Do we play any this year?). But don't be surprised when the coaches let TL have more freedom than KB.

I hope I gave you a reasonable response. BTW, in case the next source you cite is NFL.com, I also don't consider NFL.com to be any kind of authority on pre-season Heisman candidates. They don't get a vote, nor a chance to promote, and their media work covers professional players only. Their preseason list of Heisman favorites has as much authority as me setting the Clemson depth chart: none. It might be opinion based on selective facts, but it's not based on authority.

Kelly Bryant has earned our respect

Jul 3, 2018, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: ^wonders why his pulse is so low*** ]

A guy who "leads" the team to 12 wins absolutely deserves to receive respect by Clemson fans ... even those who are determined to criticize him for the *one game* we lost when he was healthy as the starter.

Kelly Bryant has earned our respect. He has done absolutely nothing to deserve the harsh criticism doled out by several people on Tigernet.

Tigerdrafted is a person who couches almost every statement that he makes in a disrespectful manner aimed not at simply giving his opinion, but also aimed at belittling the opinions of others.

He frequently resorts to name-calling in order to add emphasis to his statements and his responses.

He is a disrespectful poster who has earned his low pulse rating ... which I feel certain that he wears with pride.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I went to give you a TU and I forgot you have me on ignore!***

Jul 3, 2018, 3:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I went to give you a TU and I forgot you have me on ignore!***

Jul 3, 2018, 3:50 PM

We could pass every down with Trevor in the saddle and still win every game all year with our defense by out scoring every team on our schedule.
Probably not the way Dabo will do it but I firmly believe Trevor is that good of a QB and his play so far has proven it.
Dabo knows football, let's just trust him to win another National Championship!!

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: Kelly Bryant has earned our respect

Jul 3, 2018, 3:58 PM [ in reply to Kelly Bryant has earned our respect ]

I apologize that i don't know the personalities or friend-cliques yet that are obviously affecting my own pulse.

Yet you rose petal pumpers still have perfect pulse, when all you want for your team is a "respectable" QB. Perfect pulse is the reward for insipid loyalty? Really?

I'm not sure why you imply that i/some of us "disrespect" KB. Average refers to his skillset and personal performance. As i have stated numerous times, if the coaches want Kelly running the ball like he did in the Wing T in high school, instead of handing the ball to the RB when warranted on the Read Option, then they should be happy with his performance, and they certainly won't share otherwise with me. If they want the offense to go 3 and out if the big play isn't there, or even if it was and we just missed it, then who am i to say he's lousy (which i have NEVER said) for following instructions. He plays conservatively because he was taught to play conservatively. Is that disrespectful to say?

So here it is, sweetheart: unadulterated roses for you. When KB is in the game, i already cheer for him like crazy. I never get upset at his missing wide open guys, which he does frequently, because i assume our great D will give us another shot. He is never careless with the ball, and is frequently really good with the scramble in clutch situations. If KB starts all year, and plays every down, i will still believe in the coaches--will you?

I like KB. I respect KB. But I will not be sitting on the edge of my seat with KB at QB until he gets me to. The game of football is not like it was in 1981. Now it's supposed to be exciting. And if our team is not exciting to watch, we will regress in our reputation nationally. I'm pretty sure the coaches would rather it be exciting, too, so I'm confident that whatever QB is in the game in 2018 will be the one they find most capable, unlike 2017 when they really only had one choice.

Oh yeah. Go Tigers! (As though great Clemson fans could actually feel differently)

Pulse rate ...

Jul 3, 2018, 5:07 PM

There are no specific cliques on Tigernet waiting to thumb you down. Just like there are no fan clubs devoted to helping you maintain a 100% pulse.

A high pulse rate is not the reward for insipid loyalty ... it's usually the result of a long established record of making reasoned, well thought out remarks that contribute to civil discussion, offering a valid opinion while refraining from condescension and name calling.

And a low pulse rate is not necessarily the result of being critical. It's more often the result of being in the habit of tossing out "brutally honest" criticisms and appearing to enjoy the brutality about as much as the honesty.

My reply to you earlier was not directed at you personally, but at your defense of Tigerdrafted, who has a well known history of not only routinely making negative posts, but adding derogatory and condescending remarks toward other posters who disagree.

Most of what you and others who are critical of Kelly Bryant's ability say are things I won't totally disagree with. While I thoroughly enjoyed winning 12 games, I absolutely hated the way we couldn't hang with Alabama.

But, I also hated the way we couldn't stop Syracuse on defense when Kelly Bryant wasn't 100% ... so if I'm going to blame the offense in general and KB specifically for the Bama loss, then I have no choice but to blame our lack-luster and ineffective defense for the losing to Syracuse with 24 points on the board.

Finally, the one place I absolutely disagree with you is your statement that winning is not enough ... that it has to be exciting. I thought the Pitt loss two years ago was extremely exciting. But, I'd rather have won that game 10-7 any day and I believe any of our coaches and most of our fans would say the same thing.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pulse rate ...

Jul 4, 2018, 10:38 AM

I appreciate your reasonable and restrained response, and i hope you return to this self-perpetuating thread long enough to see that I'm grasping the other end of the olive branch.

I have been a 'member' here for two years but was locked out somehow before i finally pestered the mods to set me free. During that time i read countless threads i wanted to comment on but couldn't. Now that I'm free to comment, I'm too impatient at times, and i should act like my free speech is a privilege. I apologize for the slide into name-calling, even though y'all have probably been called a lot worse than 'sweetheart' and 'sunshine and rose pumpers'.

I love discussion and even disagreement. On this board, we are pretty much united on the most important topics, but there is a lot of room for various opinions, which are usually based on selective facts. However, particularly in football, the discussion begins after certain nonnegotiables are established: Clemson is awesome; Dabo and his coaches are, too, and they have the best interests of their kids and the university at heart; any kid who has earned playing time for Clemson has demonstrated some talent and a great work ethic and is worthy of our respect.

But i think it stops there. If someone dislikes a decision Dabo made and says so without violating those criteria, why do some posters give a TD? If i think Brandon Streeter--a friend of my brother's--used positive coachspeak about a QB because he didn't want to air public criticism, how am i being a disloyal fan by saying that?

You explained the way the pulse is supposed to work, and i will try to perform the appropriate TU and TD in keeping with the values of the board as you described them. However, we both know not everyone uses them that way. The critical thinkers/critical commenters are more likely to disagree with another poster by using a comment, not by a silly TD. Meanwhile the commenter who thinks, 'i don't like his tone but i sure can't refute his facts' uses the cheap and childish TD. That's why i say, after reading discussions here for two years, that a pulse of 100% can be a reward for insipid loyalty. If all we're allowed to say is that the coaches know more than us, i can show you some Gamecock fans who are now sorry they used that line to defend Spurrier because they will be paying the price for that insipid loyalty for the next decade. And if Dabo ever becomes a figurehead like HBC instead of the active, engaged leader he is now, the same thing will happen to Clemson.

One last: our 'disagreement' over exciting v. victory. There is no disagreement. We couldn't have won that Pitt game 10-7. They killed Ben Boulware's pro career that day, scoring on us with 3 or 4 catch-and-run TD passes over 20 yards when our D had not given up any 20-yd TD passes all year. But no matter: DW4 set a record for passing yards in a 60+ year old conference because they were jamming 9 in the box and laying 5 yards off our WRs. So on 3rd and 4th downs, needing 1 yard to ice the game with 3 minutes left and the lead, Dabo overruled his coaching staff and called for the safe boring run. I don't have to tell you what happened. You think maybe he shouldn't have let the Clemson offense do its thing?

I don't mind boring, winning football. I came up listening to Jim Phillips describing the blocking action, especially when Ford was coaching. He took a Parade All-American WR from my town, Summerville (Keith Jennings) and sent him to the pros as a TE, after leading the team with 30 receptions.
We frequently attended Citadel football games, where they successfully ran the wishbone (7-4, 6-5 was very successful for El Cid). Even in a small stadium, you might never see the football when El Cid was on offense. All you might see is a fullback breaking tackles up the middle or everyone chasing the tailback or QB. I get that boring sometimes wins.
My point was that in 2017 the coaches chose boring because it gave us the best chance to win. But i don't think we will choose to repeat boring in 2018. It's not our identity. When a situation calls for boring and safe, fine; but kids love to play for an offense that runs 80-100 plays per game, (instead of 60)especially if they are rotating with other quality guys.

Thanks for reading. Happy 4th of July to you and yours. Go! Tigers

Jul 3, 2018, 11:09 AM

Is that he wins the starting job. We need TLaw to be the man by the A&M game.

Jul 3, 2018, 1:26 PM

No one on this board with an ounce of football insight who's seen him play can call KB average. When an offense is clicking, any play can produce a score. When KB is running the offense, we have horses to do just that. His personal TD numbers mean nothing to me. Just getting the ball down the field and keeping drives alive is enough if he never scores once. Remember, points win the game no matter who scores them.
KB is probably average enough to start for any ACC team, probably 11 of 14 SEC teams without competing, and any team in the state of SC. He might be average when considering the four playoff teams only but could probably have taken any of those four teams to the playoffs. So get off it. The coaches know and will do the right thing. The have to be salivating over the thoughts of what the next three years with Lawrence will bring but they also know how to develop a champion. Any mistakes they may have made with Watson will be remembered and not repeated. It's very rare to have the opportunity they have twice inside 5 years and I'm betting they won't waste on game of it.

And by the way, what's a short leach. I had leaches once from swimming in a farm pond and scraped them off with my driver's license. Dang things itch like helI. But they were the regular ones - not short ones.

Jul 3, 2018, 3:16 PM

he is an average to below average college passer, its that simple.

That is the debate, not him as a person, not him as a leader, not his football IQ, not his understanding of the offense... his inability to stretch the field. How many game do you want to review? How many stars lines do you need to see? Just watch the spring game? He had to throw the ball and he could not make the throws. The O gets pretty one dimensional when you cannot hit receivers down field... it is what it is.

Jul 3, 2018, 11:07 PM

^ this 110%. Stretching the field does nothing if you can't score....ask Bentley vs us. He could have 400 yards passing vs Clemson but if he only scores once, it was just a great jogging workout for him and his teammates. He's still not a great QB in that game if he can't get it in an end zone... Period.

And though we have the horses, those horses can only jump so high and can only give so much. You sail a ball 10 feet over receivers heads enough times, your horsepower just lost a few cylinders. Lose a few cylinders, and eventually you just don't race the same. Don't race the same as when you are 110%, you will eventually lose.

Re: My biggest fear

Jul 3, 2018, 1:59 PM

is that this thread will never go away.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Replies: 98
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic