Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My apologies to Larry Bird . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

My apologies to Larry Bird . . .

Mar 17, 2020, 12:54 PM

I had forgotten just how good you were!!!

Enjoyed this in our Sports Free Period:

https://youtu.be/P-KDVcMBmz0

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My apologies to Larry Bird . . .

Mar 17, 2020, 12:59 PM

He was truly a good one that did not demand accolades and never, never showboated. Magic Johnson was another one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2020, 1:24 PM

True, but Bird is also one of the most ruthless trash talkers (when on the court)... you would assume he was in his mother's basement behind a keyboard.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trash Talker??? Abso-effing-lutely!!!

Mar 17, 2020, 1:39 PM

AND he could back it up . . . Can't remember ever seeing him back down . . .

The game was so much purer then . . . You enforced your own dominance . . . It was a tougher, more physical game . . . the Lane was sacred and protected . . .

Today . . . As March Madness narrows the field . . . the games become more physical, more pure . . . you are allowed to play more physical . . . It's a shame the game isn't allowed to be played that hard all year.

I use to enjoy the game more when the whistles were harder to blow . . . and palming was still a thing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2020, 1:07 PM

I'm not much for pro basketball, but in their day, the Byrd Celtics, and the Johnson Lakers was the best rivalry in the NBA. There were some great championship series between those two teams.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OOPs. Bird.***

Mar 17, 2020, 1:09 PM

Mar 17, 2020, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: My apologies to Larry Bird . . . ]

I was in late high school early college through most of those championships. We would be at the beach and stop what we were doing(trying hook up w/the ladies 23hrs a day) to come in and watch those games. They were awesome!

Mar 17, 2020, 1:10 PM

No doubt about it... This is my afternoon delight.

Btw- this is a pretty go book.

https://www.amazon.com/When-Game-Ours-Larry-Bird/dp/0547225474

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2020, 1:17 PM

That's one I'd like to read. A very appropriate title. The game was theirs.

Mar 17, 2020, 1:28 PM

People who saw him play are likely to have him in their top five players all time. I would take him before any of the centers including Jabbar. MJ, LB and MJ would be my top three all time picks and not necessarily in that order.

Mar 17, 2020, 2:53 PM

Bill Russell, Bird's center, was also a good one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While Bill was a good'un . . . He never played with Larry

Mar 17, 2020, 3:22 PM

Russell was a Celtic from 1956-1969

Bird was born in 1956 and was drafted by the Celtics (by Coach "Red" Auerbach) in 1978 and played from 1979-1992.

Kevin McHale, Robert Parrish and Bill Walton were his centers that I remember.

Re: While Bill was a good'un . . . He never played with Larry

Mar 17, 2020, 3:52 PM

I always liked Parrish... Kinda quit watching after all them guys left the league. He was a good one... Remember he was clutch when the game was down the stretch. Seemed he'd always come up with a key rev or block, or something.

Especially one of them patent high lob shots or whatever you'd call them. Like a rainbow or something.

Thanks for the post Skeeta!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2020, 3:03 PM

James Worthy said he "would rather guard MJ. He said with Larry you had to think-He wasn't fast-he couldn't jump-But man there were some sleepless nights."

Mar 17, 2020, 3:56 PM

I did not realize that Skeeta. I just remember Russell being a good center. Thought they might have played together. Thanks for the education. The Celtics had some very good players during that era. Ol' Red could spot talent.

I loved watching Russell battle Wilt "The Stilt"

Mar 17, 2020, 8:13 PM

Chamberlain . . . those two went to WAR everytime they squared off!!! It was a great rivalry!!! (In the 1960's)

Back in those days, I watched a lot of NBA Games. We weren't saturated with sporting events and you watched what they aired . . . 1 College Game/Wk . . . 1 NBA Game/Wk . . . or 1 MLB Game/Wk . . . or 1 NFL Game/Wk . . . You get the idea . . . When Monday Night Football started (1970), we thought we had died and gone to football heaven!!!

Because the NBA Game has changed so much and we are (usually) inundated with sports choices, I no longer watch any of their games . . .

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic