Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My Tiger Story - Long
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,128

My Tiger Story - Long

Aug 10, 2017, 11:46 AM

After a tumultuous tenure with my current company, I was finally faced with the realities of being part of the corporate world on Monday where I was laid off from my remote position working in the energy industry. I figure what better place than TigerNet to express my feelings and thoughts and to see if anyone has any sound advice on the wild ride we call life. I am thankful to have such a wonderful support base of friends and friends to be within the tiger community as I've learned that Clemson University has been a rock in my life to which I've always been able to confide in. Times like this can be difficult but I know I will pull through as I have read many of the personal stories on here through the years and the advice given by others. I am fortunate enough to have about 7 months severance to figure out where I want to go with regard to my career and who I want to be as a person.

While thinking out loud on a sports board may be considered silly at best by some, I just wanted to express my gratitude to the University that changed my life. Growing up in a small rural town in Vermont, many of us couldn't see beyond the cows in terms of where we were headed and what life held for most of us. I was lucky enough to be passionate about college basketball growing up, and followed UNC hoops with a life and death mentality. I had always heard of Clemson, and all I knew of them at the time was that they were the school that I could count on UNC beating each and every year on the court. While that might come as painful to hear for most of you, it actually led me to where I am today. I applied to 8 different schools and got into them all except for Chapel Hill, and that is where my life changed when I picked between Auburn and Clemson.

Wide eyed and unable to tell the difference between a circus peanut and a boiled one, I stepped on to campus in the Fall of 2004 and little did I know my life was about to change. Since that day, the tar heel blue has has faded in my wardrobe and my passion for a school I never thought much of, grew into a full blown obsession. I have come to live and bleed the color orange, everything I do has a Clemson hue to it and I am so proud of the University I've graduated from. My house has Clemson flags flying all year, I wear my ring proudly, and I find myself talking to random people all over the world about the place that truly made me into the man I am today.

The one thing that amazes me about this small school tucked in those beautiful hills, is that it can bring a person who never watched a down of college football in his life, to be a full blown manic and die hard fan. I know it runs much deeper than football, but I don't think I've ever held so much pride in saying I was there in the stadium to pull my hair out watching bubble screen after bubble screen. I was privileged enough to watch the greatest Clemson running back duo ever in Thunder and Lightning tear up the field. I was there during the 3 OT Miami game when it was so loud and wild and you thought we might tear the stadium down on that sack. I was there when we had our first GameDay against Georgia Tech and there was a newfound buzz on campus like we'd never seen before.

As years went on, I made it a point to embrace my newfound passion in college football and the tigers I loved, and I would try to attend a game each year. I attended the Georgia game in 2013 and multiple Florida State games over the years. Over the past few years I was one of the lucky ones as I scalped tickets to the game in Charlotte and was able to watch us beat the heels to make it to the playoff. I was lucky enough to share time with my dad, and camp in the everglades while making a convenient little drive over to Miami to watch Teasdall throw a fake punt to Christian Wilkins and celebrate our march to the national title game where I was fortunate enough fly to Vegas and drive four hours with my brother only to watch us come up a little short in a game we probably should have won.

Lastly this passion led me to my most amazing memory from this institution I that I share part in. Sitting 20 rows deep in a stadium next to a fake pirate ship with tears swelled in my eyes hugging strangers after Deshaun Watson throw a pass to Hunter Renfrow to seal the deal in one of the most amazing games in Clemson history. Chills and welled up eyes still taunt me in a joyful way to this day.

While all of this doesn't have much to do with my current situation and life ahead, it all reminds me that life will come full circle, and I wanted to express my gratitude for being part of such a wonderful community of kind, caring, and amazing people. I know my life would not be as good as it is today without the decision I made to attend Clemson and I know that everything will work out for the best in the end, because I too, am a Clemson Tiger.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You lost me at "UNC Hoops"

Aug 10, 2017, 12:54 PM

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brutal - lol . . . .

Aug 10, 2017, 2:20 PM

Almost true for me, too, however . . . .

Glad I finished reading.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: My Tiger Story - Long

Aug 10, 2017, 1:32 PM

You lost me after the jeff gordon icon

Aug 10, 2017, 2:01 PM

Thank you for your love of our university and here is one Tiger that wishes you well in your future endeavors. I feel sure you will be successful and happy....Jaybird4

Aug 10, 2017, 8:19 PM

Thank you for your story. I'm sure right now you are uncertain and probably a little concerned about your future. Being in the advanced grandmother age group I can tell you that life has many twists and turns and today's concerns will become distant memories.
Don't be shy about letting everyone know that you are seeking a new position as so often opportunities seem to come through connections you already have. Sounds like you are young enough to change locations so be open to that.
And don't forget: "His eye is on the Sparrow so I know He watches you."

Lots of prayers for you to find a way to get what you

Aug 10, 2017, 2:24 PM

need & want doing something you are passionate about.

Sounds like you are passionate about our unparalleled Alma Mater . . . .

Get in there somehow or another ?

I always tell my 2 daughters - 1st - you gotta figure out what you are passionate about.

2nd - you gotta figure out what standard of living makes YOU happy - not ME happy . . . or anybody else happy - but what makes YOU happy.

And then - if you never want to "work" a day in your life - you gotta figure out how to make those 2 come together.

Not sure that is the right answer - but it speaks to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

If You Want to do some "Special Consulting" for TBALM

Aug 10, 2017, 8:01 PM

He will pay you to be his fluffer boy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,128
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic