Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My Spring 2020 Outlook: Defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,499

My Spring 2020 Outlook: Defense

Feb 10, 2020, 12:12 PM

DT: I think once a weakness, now becomes a strength. Getting Pinckney back healthy will help, along with an improved Jordan Williams. Tyler Davis is a stud and is undoubtedly a starter. Throw in Bresee and Capehart, along with Orhorhoro, Reuben, and Tayquon Johnson, and the interior should have as much depth as we've had awhile. Just depends on the younger guys and their development. Tre Williams should help when he arrives this summer. I don't expect much out of Darnell Jeffries.

DE: Justin Foster and Xavier Thomas are the starters most likely with Henry and Mascoll next up. Myles Murphy should push for reps immediately this summer as well. Bresee might get some work at DE too since there are available snaps to be had there, sort of like Christian Wilkins back in the day. This group needs to do a better job of getting to the QB next year. I wonder what Greg Williams' development is looking like after a RS year....maybe he can surprise some folks? We need Thomas to take a big leap and its a money year for him in terms of the NFL.

LB: Getting Skalski back is very good. I think him and Spector give us the best chance at success. Jake Venables is solid but not great. I'm interested in seeing what comes out of Levonta Bentley after his RS year. It's a very big year for guys like him, Mike Jones, Patterson and McGuire. Trenton Simpson might push for snaps right out of the gate at SAM but it will take awhile for BV to trust him. I think Jones will be a starter at SAM for week 1 because of this.

CB: We have 4 guys that can play but really, only 1 that is dependable: DK. This spring is big for guys like Mario Goodrich, Andrew Booth and Sheridan Jones. I like Jones to emerge as a starter heading into the spring game. If nothing else, I see him and Goodrich being listed as co-starters at one position with DK at the other. Booth needs to just rehab and get his mind right and he will be in the thick of it when healthy. I don't expect LeAnthony Williams to contribute much else as a Tiger which leaves the door open for Fred Davis and Malcom Greene (when he arrives on campus in the summer).

Safety: Nolan Turner and who???? We have a lot of young guys itching for that other starting spot. Zanders, Ray Thornton, Joe Charleston, and Jalyn Phillips are the guys to watch for. The group also adds Tyler Venables and RJ Mickens. One of those 6 guys is going to have to emerge on the other side of Nolan. My bet is Charleston or Zanders. There are also snaps to be had at SAM/Nickel and I know Thornton and Phillips were repping there some last year. Big question marks out of this group.

Bottom line: the DL is going to have to lead this unit early while the back-end gets situated. Pretty much the opposite of last year. I expect BV to go back to his 4-3 base defense with the 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 coming on obvious passing downs if he finds some guys he can trust back there.

Message was edited by: TheSecondComing17®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My Spring 2020 Outlook: Defense

Feb 10, 2020, 12:28 PM

Who is Tim Williams?

Feb 10, 2020, 12:54 PM

He means Tre Williams.

Correct I meant Tre....sorry; autocorrect got me on my phone

Feb 10, 2020, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: My Spring 2020 Outlook: Defense ]

Thought I skimmed thru well and caught errors but guess I didn't.

Feb 10, 2020, 1:05 PM

I really appreciate the breakdown and agree with most of what you are saying.

Just for discussion purposes:

DT: I think the less we see of Pinckney and Williams, the better it is for the unit. It's not that I don't like those guys, but we know exactly what they can do and if they are healthy and not getting a ton of playing time that means the young guys are really developing. I think we have some higher ceilings with the younger guys on the team. That includes Orhorhoro and Reuben who were very raw but have a lot of room for growth after a year.

DE: I think Bresee at end is a bad thing for the most part. Again similar to my take on the DTs, if Bresee is playing end then that means the more natural DEs are not performing very well. I do think there are packages for him when we switch to a 3 man front, but I prefer to see Foster, XT, Henry, Mascoll, and Murphy getting the 4-3 or 4-2 snaps at DE.

LB & S: Same story here at both positions. One proven guy and a ton of potential with the young guys. Word is that all of the youth is more athletic than the departing seniors. Smartest and most dependable youth plays next to Turner and Skalski.

Nickel/Sam: This has become a different position from LB on Clemson's team since DO'D took over. I expect to see more of a nickel corner in this spot for passing downs unless one of the SAMs shows a major improvement in coverage skills. I agree that Simpson seems like the wildcard here. It would be an incredible feat for a true freshman to take this spot considering the knowledge that it requires in BV's system.

CB: DK starts. We have 4-5 unproven guys vying for the 2nd starter spot and depth. I have less feel here than any other position for who moves in.

Agree. Good, indepth information!***

Feb 10, 2020, 1:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2020, 2:19 PM

Thanks for outlook. Really worried about LB, CB, and Safety. IMO - the hardest positions on the field.

Nice break from all the bassetball talk.

Feb 10, 2020, 2:38 PM

I think it might be a little too soon to completely write off Darnell Jefferies now that his diabetes has been diagnosed and is being successfully treated.

I don't think so either

Feb 10, 2020, 3:40 PM

I meant it as there are more talented players on the roster and he, among others, will most likely be the odd man out. That's just how it goes.

DT, LB, S

Feb 10, 2020, 9:29 PM

I am only concerned with DT, LB and S. I think we will be excellent in the other areas on the field on defense.
LB - inexperience besides Skalski. Mike Jones has all the talent - will he put it all together. Vonta Bentley as well - is my pick for biggest zero to 60 - BAM here I am Clemson Nation player!
S- Turner we know. I like Zanders as well. Thornton and Phillips I believe were higher prospects than both of them so who knows what happens if they grind and out work Zanders and Turner.
DT - boy oh boy! I agree with an earlier post. If Williams and Pinckney are playing a ton we may not have gotten "more disruptive". We would just stay, "solid"! Because they are solid and servicable - not so much disruptive.
Hoping we see a lot of Bresee and Davis at DT as I see them being more of the game changing type DT we need. When I think BV at Clemson and Oklahoma it's DT's who are nasty and disruptive and blow up plays without having be aided by LB blitz's.
I have a ton of hope for Ororohooho and Reuben - both as stated earlier - raw prospects who are having to grow into DT bodies. But, they are both "super athletic/grinder kids"! You often get one or the other; but these two are reportedly both rolled into one(rare). I agree with the OP - this has the potential to be deep position!

We will be good. My only concern is what skill players does our early tough opponents have(N. Dame). After a few games; I believe the new starters will have gotten the hang of it.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is your definition of DEPENDABLE?

Feb 10, 2020, 3:09 PM

CB - We have 4 guys that can play but really, only 1 that is dependable: DK.

Do you mean starting experience?

How do you know if players aren't dependable, if they haven't played?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dependable meaning they

Feb 10, 2020, 3:39 PM

can play at a high level for an entire game in a 12+ game season....not just in mop up duty when the game is out of hand. Goodrich, Jones and Booth have not been thrown into the fire yet.

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,499
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic