Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Munson and his partner are very frustating - they do not
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Munson and his partner are very frustating - they do not

May 17, 2016, 10:10 PM

keep their head in the ballgame, their trivia contests and inside jokes are not entertaining. You cannot tell which team they are pulling for...Munson missed KJ Bryant's steal 2x ("he scored all the way from first"), Both missed first strike against Buc player, kept calling it a ball, Munson said it was a "foot outside", his partner said "well, on replay it may have hit corner." They missed Greene being taken out of ballgame. They complain a lot about length of ball games ("shoulda brought a sleeping bag")on and on!
Last week, I watched the streaming of the Ga. Southern game last week, and even though the announcers were homers, they stayed focus on game and on the team and it's players.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Munson and his partner are very frustating - they do not

May 17, 2016, 10:18 PM

It was even worse than you described.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2016, 10:55 PM

I'm just average fan who loves Clemson.......I'm not ESPN Sports analysts...I enjoy the banter but am not expecting Vince Skully he's in L.A....who would you prefer....give us some names...or are you ready...Tigers Win all I care about.

May get blasted for this but

May 18, 2016, 12:27 AM

Dan Scott did the best Tiger baseball pbp in recent years. Light years ahead of Munson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: May get blasted for this but

May 18, 2016, 7:29 AM

> Dan Scott did the best Tiger baseball pbp in recent
> years. Light years ahead of Munson.

I totally agree with you Dan Scott was the best on calling a baseball game. Munson is a real bore to listen to and such a jerk.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2016, 7:36 AM [ in reply to May get blasted for this but ]

dan was my favorite by far. but even he would get off on his rants about the reds and the causes he supported. don does fine when he is with bob mahoney. qualk pretty much ruins every broadcast he is involved with. just check out his radio show if you do not believe. you guys got to realize that don is really not bad when compared to others we have to listen to when we watch the tigers on the road. yall ever heard some of these espn3 guys.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2016, 8:41 AM

Exactly, Dan cared about Baseball and it showed in his broadcast.

null

Dan Scott ... was OUTSTANDING!***

May 18, 2016, 10:32 AM [ in reply to May get blasted for this but ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Are you Russian ?

May 18, 2016, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Munson and his partner are very frustating - they do not ]

You sound like maybe Russian .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Both are hilariously bad, Qualm only does games

May 17, 2016, 10:22 PM

During the week that many people aren't interested in.

Bob Mahoney is the only one who half way knows what's going on.

Munson and Qualm just like to hear themselves talk on the radio.

There isn't a person in this world who loves Don Munson more than Don Munson hahaha

+1 for the Bob Mahoney observation.***

May 17, 2016, 10:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Munson and Qualm just like to hear themselves talk...LMAO!***

May 17, 2016, 10:27 PM [ in reply to Both are hilariously bad, Qualm only does games ]

You guys do realize Bob Mahoney actually was a pitcher for

May 18, 2016, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Both are hilariously bad, Qualm only does games ]

the Tigers back during his college days, right? (Same time I was there.) I would expect he knows quite a lot about the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mahoney as lead announcer with Dan Scott backing him?***

May 18, 2016, 3:08 PM

Munson and his partner are very frustating - I have to agree

May 17, 2016, 10:25 PM

You were accurate in your Statement about the announcers. I think your best statement was that they did not have their head in the game. About the only thing they did was question balls and strikes and seldom did they agree on the strike zone. That Ump did have a 757 sized strike-zone though. But he seemed to call it the same for both sides. Glad we did not have to go to the bottom of 9th. Hopefully we can get at least 2 from Notre Dame this weekend.

Re: The two are not very professional.***

May 17, 2016, 10:34 PM

May 17, 2016, 10:41 PM

And we are stuck with him come September as well. I want Pete back!

He didn't just say Greene scored from first ....

May 17, 2016, 10:51 PM

but repeated it two more times and nobody even corrected him. He also said a called strike off Okey's glove was in the dirt and the count went to 3-2 before he finally admitted that the count had been correct all along.

May 17, 2016, 10:59 PM

he is really bad on the counts. All season he has said things like.....ball right over the plate,,,count is 1-0. Then next time he gives the count and it is a strike,,,he will say the correct count. He gets the counts wrong about 1/3 of the time. It amazes me when Mahoney is in the booth with him and he does not correct him,,,but I guess that would look bad as many times as he would have to do it. I bet Mahoney is about to explode

May 17, 2016, 11:22 PM

I do wonder who Munson's partner is pulling for...all he does is criticize everything Clemson does, did he go to Clemson or is he a transplant? Heard him say his brother played at CS so maybe he did as well....but honestly it sounds like he graduated from every school Clemson plays.... MORE MAHONEY!

May 17, 2016, 11:31 PM

Rad needs to hear from multiple Tiger fans demanding better announcing despite Dabo's support. I am tired of listening to a high school level announcer at best. Let Munson do specials and PR work. Bring back Pete Yanity for football and somebody else for baseball.

Go Tigers!

I for one am old school and enjoy my baseball on the radio..

May 17, 2016, 11:45 PM

takes you back to a time when the game was almost mythical.

can't listen to our crew though.

apparently "best isn't standard" in Clemson's broadcast booth...

May 18, 2016, 6:09 AM

I couldn't have said it better. Also the number of times he calls fastballs breaking balls is ridiculous. How he can't tell the difference is mind blowing. I would love to have a conversation about a "straight change" with him. He calls every changeup and straight change, he has no clue that's a type of changeup and every changeup isn't a straight change. I couldn't imagine e listening to him on the radio because I wouldn't have a clue what was actually happening during the game. He is terrible.

May 18, 2016, 7:31 AM

Yep I used to listen to Clemson games online but this year it has just been bad.

Now I just hop in TAC

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

May 18, 2016, 7:36 AM

Yea he isn't professional. I stopped listening to the baseball games. I just catch the score updates on T-Net now.

We need a NEW voice of the Tigers. Someone at the level we want to be at in all our sports. Don isn't close to being the best we could get.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. Qualk spends too much time trying to be a....

May 18, 2016, 7:56 AM

comedian instead of a commentator. Sometimes less is more. You don't have to always be flopping your chops. Watch the scene in the movie Crimson Tide where Gene Hackman tests Denzel Washington just before the sub submerges for their mission. He commends Denzel for not talking through the moment and ruining it.

May 18, 2016, 8:01 AM

Where is Jim Phillips when you need him.

Fans complained vociferously about Jim when he was our guy

May 18, 2016, 8:37 AM

I'm as nostalgic as the next fan and I miss Jim Phillips, but if he were to somehow magically come back, he would not last a season before fans were calling for his head.

It's only in the after glow of his long career and a couple of decades of absence while listening to other guys replace him that Jim Phillips has taken on iconic status.

There was no internet in those days, so he didn't take the constant flak that coaches, players, announcers ... basically everyone involved with the athletic program is subjected to these days.

But as great a Clemson man as Jim Phillips was, he was generally considered a pretty mediocre "voice" of the Tigers when he was active.

This is simply the truth.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fans complained vociferously about Jim when he was our guy

May 18, 2016, 9:30 AM

Apex you are 100% correct.
But I sure do miss his professionalism.
We can do much better and I feel like Clemson is missing an opportunity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't remember anyone ever complaining about Jim. '66 grad***

May 18, 2016, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Fans complained vociferously about Jim when he was our guy ]

I understand and I can relate ...

May 18, 2016, 10:27 AM

That's the beauty of nostalgia and selective memory ... the older we get the better things were.

I'd love to have Jim Phillips back as our play-by-play guy.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2016, 10:10 AM

Not to mention, I get so tired of them confusing our hitters for the other team's pitchers. Also can't stand how they have this incessant need to fill every second with their conversation. Like, sometimes it's okay to shuttup.

I'd rather get teeth pulled than listen to a Munson led...

May 18, 2016, 10:51 AM

broadcast. I hope he is just serving in some interim capacity while we find our real guy. He has no knowledge of baseball that a play-by-play commentator should have. Philpot does a much better job on the ESPN3 broadcasts. Munson's voice is so boring.

I never thought I would say this, but I miss Yannity calling games so much in football. Yannity yelling: "And there's orange in the endzone!" is so much better than anything that Munson has done. He's a nice guy, but I can't stand him as a broadcaster.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic