Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mobile ticketing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 2,276

Mobile ticketing

Sep 11, 2020, 10:36 PM

For my whole life I have avoided phone apps, paying bills electronically, frivolous password accounts, paying for fast food with a freakin' credit card, etc. It is not that I can't figure it out, it is that I am trying to minimize my electronic footprint to avoid hacking and my electronic data being sold and shared by "the machine." I still frequently use cash and checks...sue me.

I just dove into figuring out how to download my freakin' football ticket onto my freakin' cell phone, and how to use my cell phone to get into the freakin' stadium. The story is that there has been an increase in use, and that we are all going to use it in 2020 (and I bet FOREVER). I still see a whole heck of a lot more people using paper tickets than their freakin' cell phones...except for the people walking around staring at their cell phones oblivious to their surroundings. I've actually had the cell phone zombies to bounce off of me before. I've been held up by them at the gate with their "e-tickets" for minutes while I impatiently wait with my dinosaur paper ticket...which takes 1/10th of the time.

So, Step 1...log into my IPTAY account via my cell phone. So far so good. Transfer ticket to Mobile Wallet...wait...what? Oh, in Google account...the Google account that I don't have. So, I create a Google account that I haven't missed not having. Now, I can create a "Mobile Wallet." Up until now the wallet next to my butt cheek has been all that I have needed. So, wait, what...I have to PAY for my Mobile Wallet app? Credit Card or Verizon Bill? I chose Verizon Bill because I don't want my CC info. on my freakin' cell phone. OK, now I am ready to, Step 2, download my ticket to my Mobile Wallet...sigh. So, what do I do when I get to the gate...show my screen to the "gate keeper?" Oh no...I have to activate my NFC function...my what? I have a Samsung G5...sue me. I spent another 10 minutes finding out how to turn that on...and then back off. So, I dang sure better have my cell phone charged game day and pray that my freakin' cell phone, or stadium wi-fi, doesn't die on game day.

Well, this was all so freakin' convienient...NOT!...and now I have a larger electronic footprint for hackers to utilize. Sheesh!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

LOL!***

Sep 11, 2020, 11:06 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mobile ticketing

Sep 12, 2020, 1:26 AM

OK Boomer! JK. :)

Fun read. I sympathize with your story. I have struggled using the mobile ticketing for our CFP games (most require it), especially national; championship games as there is not enough time between the semifinal and championship game to use paper tickets.

I am in no way a technology expert but I don't think you have to add a credit card or other payment method (Verizon) or turn on NFC unless you intend to pay with your phone. You can still use the wallet to store tickets, like football games or airline tickets. The phone software certainly tries to get you to sign up for all of that, but you don't have to.

I've been to all our CFP games and had to use the mobile ticketing for most and I've never added a credit card/other payment method or NFC, because, like you, I don't want that information fly through the air.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2020, 11:35 AM

Hi tigerband1:

I had to use either Verizon or a CC to pay for the Mobile Wallet app. Also, according to the IPTAY/Athletics instructions, NFC will be used to "sense" the ticket on you phone. They even make it a point to tell you that NFC must be active when you pass through the gates. This past ACC championship game used electronic ticketing, but you called a bar code up on the cell phone screen which was then scanned.; however, the Clemson instructions specifically said that NFC would be required.

Even though I have educated myself on this method, I still don't like it due to increased risk of hacking. In my final decade working for NASA I became VERY versed in risk analysis. Risk scores are calculated using probability of a particular occurrence, and consequences of the occurrence should it happen. The hacking probability score has now gone up a lot, and the consequences score was already high. The sad thing is that the mitigation plan has been assigned completely to ME.

After working for NASA for 29 years, I am definitely capable of figuring this "new and improved" electronic stuff out. I have simply avoided a lot of it for sound reasons. Once some of these younger people who have whole-heartedly embraced all of these electronic conveniences get to the point in their life that they have a LOT more to lose if they are hacked, perhaps they will rethink their zeal for all things electronic too? Last year, my custom ordered Ford F-150 was totaled (AND his truck) when a punk @$$ 11th grader brutally rear ended my truck. I will bet $1000 to a box of donuts that the bonehead was on his freakin' cell phone when the collision occurred.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At previous mobile ticket Clemson games I have attended the

Sep 12, 2020, 1:03 PM

gate worker scaned the barcode on my phone. Did not have anything extra turned on to facilitate entry.

Sep 12, 2020, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Mobile ticketing ]

Thanks for the information. I am now laughing at myself trying to provide helpful advice to you when you are clearly more tech savvy than me.
I did not realize they were requiring use of NFC. I had assumed they would scan the ticket pic on the phone like has been done at most CFP games.

I wonder if AirPlay is similar to NFC for Apple devices? My work mobile phone is an Apple iPhone and my employer has disabled AirPlay for security reasons. Not sure if that phone will work for Clemson tickets this year.

I did not have to pay for my wallet app.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not a stretch that the IPTAY correspondence is suspect***

Sep 12, 2020, 3:47 PM

You said...

Sep 12, 2020, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Mobile ticketing ]

"My work mobile phone is an Apple iPhone and my employer has disabled AirPlay for security reasons." That enforces my concerns of increased risk for hacking with all of this electronic ticketing crap. It seems to me that we are trading security for convenience/"coolness."

Just because I worked 29 years with NASA doesn't make me...

Sep 12, 2020, 4:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Mobile ticketing ]

an electronics genius. It just means that I am not the average run of the mill boomer! :) I still have a lot that I COULD learn about going completely digital.

Re: Just because I worked 29 years with NASA doesn't make me...

Sep 12, 2020, 10:52 PM

Well, it ain't rocket science ... oh, wait a minute ...

At previous mobile ticket Clemson games I have attended the

Sep 12, 2020, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Mobile ticketing ]

gate worker scaned the barcode on my phone. Did not have anything extra turned on to facilitate entry.

The grand experiment will be 09/19/2020. :-)

Sep 12, 2020, 3:50 PM

Be advised that there is a hyperlink on the IPTAY ticketing page for turning NFC on/off.

Why do I hear Mad Max from John Boy & Billy

Sep 12, 2020, 1:14 PM

while reading this? Lol
In all seriousness, I understand. I've officially reached the age of having to write down the plethora of passwords needed for a digital life. It's just too much.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You had to pay for the app?

Sep 12, 2020, 1:19 PM

Should be free

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You had to pay for the app?

Sep 12, 2020, 3:43 PM

Google store asked if wanted to pay for Mobile Wallet via Verizon bill or CC. It may ask that whether or not the app is free? I guess I'll find out when I get my Verizon Wireless bill for this cycle.

Re: You had to pay for the app?

Sep 12, 2020, 3:51 PM

My droid phone has NFC already on it. I don't use it but it's there. And it also has a wallet app that I think you can down;load things like that to.

The wallet app did not come with my Samsung G5.***

Sep 12, 2020, 3:54 PM

Sep 12, 2020, 10:55 PM

You must curse the day Al Gore invented the internet.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2020, 12:04 AM

I regret that I can only give you one thumbs up.

You would think that you just would not own a smartphone. I

Sep 13, 2020, 2:24 AM

do not own a smartphone, never have. The ticket office told me last week that they will mail me paper tickets. Why does everybody think they need to own a portable computer & tracking device? --Edward Snowden

Replies: 19
| visibility 2,276
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic