Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Military Ops
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 358

Military Ops

Feb 3, 2021, 1:20 PM

My son is an Air Force fighter pilot. Today (about 30 minutes ago actually) he is departing on his first significant adventure, flying 10 hours non-stop and tanking (mid-air refuel) 13 times on the way. They got a waiver to fly over seas with > 20 ft waves (typically required to take another route).

Hoping and praying all those planes stay running and flying. These types of events are happening all the time, but they are fraught with risk. They have divert plans along the way, but you have to keep flying to get to the divert airstrip. No landing in the ocean, so if the jet can't fly you eject. Surviving in freezing temperatures is not a given.

Even with new planes, it is surprising how many problems they have. Lots of complex software and systems on them. "Rebooting" the plane is a common action to take on the ground to get systems working. Once they get up, thankfully, they seem to have fewer issues.

Tanking in clear weather during the day is pretty much routine. But at night in clouds/weather it is very risky. All pilots experience spatial disorientation to some extent and are trained to recognize it and handle it. Still, not a pleasant thing to go through.

All men and women involved in military operations routinely make significant sacrifices and take big personal risks...I salute them!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Military Ops

Feb 3, 2021, 1:25 PM

Feb 3, 2021, 1:27 PM

Thanks and yes, just an exercise! No live bombs or bullets AFAIK.

Feb 3, 2021, 5:06 PM

More than 1 refuel per hour ??

Feb 3, 2021, 5:31 PM

Yeah, it's kind of crazy until you hear the explanation. They don't let the jet tanks get close to empty because they always need enough fuel to get to the divert airstrip. Or, in other words, for risk management, they like to keep the tanks as close to full as possible all the time.

bengaline heading that general direction, but no, not all the way to the S. China Sea.

Heading to South China Sea?***

Feb 3, 2021, 1:40 PM

Feb 3, 2021, 8:07 PM

There’s two kinds of men in this world. Fighter pilots, and those that want to be fighter pilots.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 358
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic