Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Brian Dawkins was almost a Gamecock, but Patrick Sapp had other ideas
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

TNET: Brian Dawkins was almost a Gamecock, but Patrick Sapp had other ideas

Feb 10, 2021, 8:01 AM

Brian Dawkins was almost a Gamecock, but Patrick Sapp had other ideas

Brian Dawkins is one of the most decorated players in Clemson football history, and no one would question you if you said he’s the best player in program history simply because he’s the Tigers’ only Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee. But Dawkins didn’t always want to be a Tiger – he wanted to be a South Carolina Gamecock. Patrick Sapp had another idea in the Palmetto State. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Brian Dawkins was almost a Gamecock, but Patrick Sapp had other ideas

Feb 10, 2021, 9:04 AM

Brian Dawkins was a beast by the time he was a Junior at Clemson. He was a rock on our defense, and a real team leader. Same in the pro's. One of the best we ever had, and we've had some great ones.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brings back memories

Feb 10, 2021, 11:01 AM

Dawkins had a rocking move during kickoffs and receiving and the crowd would go bonkers.
89-91 were my years as a clemson athletic tutor and Sapp was my student. He was huge. 6-6 or something like that. Had a huge arm.. Hatfield made him play play wishbone QB. He just killed any potential Sapp had. Bummer years for Sapp.

Really Sapp had no business going to Clemson..

Feb 10, 2021, 11:32 AM

and Hatfield's staff had no business recruiting him. He was never a fit for the offense and Hatfield has even mentioned that when discussing his Clemson tenure that he was a passer and not a runner. However, Sapp didnt work out under West either and got benched for Nealon before he moved to defense. Our offense was abysmal at that time anyhow but our defenses were about as good as they are now. Sapp still got to the NFL but Im sure he wonders in the back of his mind if it would have worked better elsewhere.

Re: Really Sapp had no business going to Clemson..

Feb 10, 2021, 7:33 PM

Really, he didn't need to go elsewhere. We needed a real coach who could utilize our talent to the fullest. Dabo filled that bill.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not defending Hatfield in this..

Feb 10, 2021, 7:43 PM

In saying Sapp came to Clemson knowing they weren't a run and shoot offense at the time. He was big and slow and a pocket passer, it was never destined to work. Hatfield won alot of football games playing his way and wasn't changing that for Sapp. He felt pressure to play him and to salvage the 92 season but it didn't work out

Re: Brings back memories

Feb 10, 2021, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Brings back memories ]

Disaster! That's the word that comes to mind when I hear the name "Hatfield". He took a team loaded 3 deep with pro quality talent, and when he left the cupboard was bare. We didn't start refilling that cupboard until Bowden came. TB took us as far as he was capable, or willing, and then Dabo came in and has built a DYNASTY, IMO. So has Saban at AL, but our "Dynasty" can read and write and has character. Huge difference between our programs.

Re: Brings back memories

Feb 13, 2021, 11:48 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Feb 10, 2021, 9:04 AM

Now thats huge. Amazing. To think, his story almost didnt happen. Another story of grace, determination and desire to accomplish something. All those guys entering the transfer portal, this is what you are missing.

Feb 10, 2021, 9:20 AM

You are 100% correct, but telling that to a player that feels like they are owed something, is speaking into a set of deaf ears!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2021, 10:07 AM

I respectfully disagree. You are correct that there are some who feel that they are owed, have all those stars, and have very bad advice as to what to do. There needs to be a voice, and example, and a way of motivating young men....men like Dawk and even Leanthony. Its not cheap, easy or free.... Its also extremely important to show these young men what it takes to be their best. Not everyone will be a Brian Dawkins, or a Trevor Lawrence. Whos going to show them what to do or be if youre not the .5% who make it in profession sports, et al.

Feb 10, 2021, 9:30 AM

Love to hear stories about “little guys” making it big. Bottom line is hard work pays off. The little guys understand that because it has always been that way for them. Sometimes the more physically gifted guys miss that and just get by on talent. I’m one of the little guys and I played a lot of basketball in my day. I know what it’s like to have to work harder than everyone else for playing time and respect because you don’t look the part. I have all the respect in the world for a guy like Brian because of the work he out in to be successful. One of my favorite Tigers of all time!

Feb 10, 2021, 9:35 AM

That is a great article from every aspect.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If ANYONE has not seen Dawkins pro HOF speech

Feb 10, 2021, 10:07 AM

His speech is incredible!! Worth every minute to watch all of it.
We are SO fortunate Brian ended up at Clemson!

Feb 10, 2021, 10:38 AM

It's wild to learn that one of the best Tigers ever was the back end of a "package deal".

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Met him at one of the NCGs. Maybe 2015?

Feb 10, 2021, 11:51 AM

Dude is still very impressive.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Met him at one of the NCGs. Maybe 2015?

Feb 13, 2021, 10:03 PM

Heard him speak for a pharma company event in Greenville a few years back. Dawkins was impressive. A doctor friend who is a huge Eagles fan knew more about him than I did. They loved him in Philly!

BD is an old school man’s man ...

Feb 10, 2021, 12:17 PM

No choir boy. He came through the school of hard knocks and earned it!

Feb 10, 2021, 2:01 PM

Great story!

Feb 10, 2021, 5:14 PM

Hatfield was an idiot who killed our program

Dawkins was a BEAST

Sapp made a career of it thankfully

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it’s great that Hatfield is responsible for our

Feb 13, 2021, 11:53 PM

only Clemson NFL Hall of Famer.

I know it really annoys a lot of people here who haven’t forgiven and moved on yet. But Hatfield was a good guy and did some good things. He devoted several years to Clemson, and even though he wasn’t the right coach for us, I can appreciate the good.

Brian Dawkins was definitely one of Hatfield’s accomplishments. Dawk is a class at on and off the field, and represents Clemson well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic