Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
By what rational measure does OSU belong in the playoff?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

By what rational measure does OSU belong in the playoff?

Dec 2, 2020, 4:18 PM

They have 3 wins against awful teams ...
And a 7 point win over their only ranked opponent....

Their offense is nice ...their defense is Meh....

The eye test??? Of what? Last season?
They haven’t played enough quality games to even evaluate this season...

It’s seems unlikely they’ll play their next two games either...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: By what rational measure does OSU belong in the playoff?

Dec 2, 2020, 4:25 PM

They might not get in. A likely scenario might have Bama losing to Florida in the SECCG, Clemson beating Notre Dame in the ACCCG ,giving all of those teams only one loss each, but each having played at least 8 games ,maybe 9.

Dec 2, 2020, 10:17 PM

Seriously doubt bama loses to FL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2020, 8:57 AM

Yeah I'm not sure I would characterize Gators over Tide as "likely". Entertaining as it would be.

Another entertaining option - BYU makes the trip to Coastal (possibility this weekend, it sounds) and the winner of that game jumping up to Top 5 or 6. The winner of that game needs to find a way to play Cincy, then the winner of THAT game could make the Final 4 IMHO.

By whatever measure Clemson gets to beat that OSU Hiney

Dec 2, 2020, 4:35 PM

for them again. Let them think they are "all that" so we can put them back into time out.

Bring. It. On.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

their resume sucks, the eye test they look average

Dec 2, 2020, 4:38 PM

against the one decent team they have played..florida or a&m would would beat them

Dec 2, 2020, 4:50 PM

1. They play in the B1G.
2. They were once coached by Woody Hayes.
3. They have a former QB is a host on Game Day.
4. They had a guy who won two Heismans.
5. They play in a stadium called The Horseshoe.
6. They wear scarlet and grey uniforms.
7. They put those cute little marijuana stickers on their helmets.
8. They have at least one win against everyone who will be in the playoffs at some point in their history. (Well, at least two of them anyway.)

Did I mention they are in the B1G?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2020, 4:53 PM

What type of school has a Block O as their symbol but shapes the stadium as a horseshoe

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2020, 4:58 PM

That's Wh0re'sshoe.

TU for mentioning Woody Hayes, never to coach again***

Dec 2, 2020, 4:56 PM [ in reply to Re: By what rational measure does OSU belong in the playoff? ]

Re: TU for mentioning Woody Hayes, never to coach again***

Dec 2, 2020, 5:57 PM

One of my greatest sources of gratification is knowing that my Clemson Tigers ended the career of that old horses a**! I know Charlie Bauman lives in Ohio and has no ill will toward the "bucknuts." But they are the easiest team in the country for me to hate. I hope we do get to play them and beat their brakes off. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPN $$$$$$. Period.***

Dec 2, 2020, 4:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 2, 2020, 5:44 PM

Resume is going to be their problem. They've played four - repeat 4! - games.

They really don't have a resume. Whereas Cincinnati, if they beat Tulsa in 10 days and then win the American, will have at least 3 and more likely 4 wins against ranked teams, a conference title, and will have played 10 games. How would anybody reasonably put OSU in ahead of Cincinnati? I don't see how you could.

OSU started too late and likely aren't going to put together a big enough body of work...and sorry, that's completely on them. OSU is hanging onto that #4 by a courtesy and the less they play the more that courtesy is going away.

A&M or Florida could similarly make a case, especially Florida. Yeah, they lost by a field goal - at A&M. But I think they control their own fate. If they can spring the upset against Alabama in the SEC Championship game I think they're probably in...and Alabama likely is as well since even a 1-loss Alabama team probably gets the nod ahead of unbeaten Cincinnati and certainly ahead of an OSU team that only played 4-5 games and similarly has no conference championship.

I don't think Ohio State makes it in without a good bit of help. They've really put themselves behind the 8-ball this year. The Pac-12 is similarly hosed and the Big 12 just ate itself by about Week 3.

There really are no other blue-sky contenders either. The MAC and Mountain West started too late and have 4 games in the books, some teams not even that. The Sun Belt's top team is #18 Coastal Carolina. (Great story, tho!) Among the independents Liberty has a loss to NC State and BYU is still just #13; they need some quality games between now and December 19th and may not be able to line one up though I'd love to see it.

Actually that might be the path for Ohio State. If they were serious about salvaging their season they'd play BYU - who desperately wants somebody, anybody good so they can make a case - on December 19th if they can't play for the B1G title game. The Bucknuts won't do it, though. They've been anything but proactive this year.

Dec 2, 2020, 5:58 PM

The only problem as I understand it - byu had a chance to play UW Huskies last weekend and backed out. No way in hades they play the bucks

Actually, I believe BYU

Dec 3, 2020, 5:44 AM

Would have played UW had another PAC 12 program not become available. The ability to play a conference game trumps a non-conference game...and all non-conference games have to be at the PAC team's place.

Pre-Covid, BYU may have had one of the toughest schedules in the country.

PAC12 and B1G arrogance put both conferences behind the 8-ball. And, from the 'Hypocrisy for $100', Alex, how is it tOSU is even thinking about playing this weekend with the (supposed) protocols the B1G has in place?

Had common sense prevailed and conferences sat on their 'pride of authorship', they'd have all subscribed to one standard, started the season in mid-September, established fluid scheduling response (like the PAC 12 has done, so kudos there), and anticipated a season of 15 weeks that may have had multiple 'byes'...like Clemson have endured.

So, tOSU, enjoy the CFP season at home in Columbus...searching for your new coach, too. Whinin', cryin' Ryan is off to the NFL where is character is more aligned with that culture.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2020, 5:51 PM

I heard they have a lot of fans. Like gazillions of them. And they will all tune in to watch. All of them. TV ratings are more important than silly wins and losses, dontcha know.

Seriously though, I did talk to an O-cry-O fan who basically said that.

Zero rational reasons thus far.

Dec 2, 2020, 5:57 PM

:)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

same reason 10 SEC teams are in the top 15 preseason

Dec 2, 2020, 7:01 PM

every year.

hype

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 2, 2020, 8:03 PM

They bring the biggest set of eyeballs to TV.

Dec 2, 2020, 11:07 PM

gat1ger said:

They bring the biggest set of eyeballs to TV.

Lots of great answers! This was exactly the one I was thinking about though!

Love #7 on BretFSU's answer, bahahaha!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like their drum major when he does that strut

Dec 2, 2020, 8:18 PM

Before the game. Just sayin...

Re: I like their drum major when he does that strut

Dec 2, 2020, 9:30 PM

Reminds me of Dom Deluise coaching his "fellas" at the end of Blazing Saddles...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ‘eye test’ is only based on recruiting rank

Dec 2, 2020, 9:39 PM

Hence UGA still in Top 10, and OSU at #4 as pundits just know they should be winning games.

Measure of fan, alum and media base ...

Dec 2, 2020, 10:27 PM

And don't forget TV ratings.

----------------------------------------------

And did we tell you the name of the game, boy?
We call it "Riding The Gravy Train".
(pink floyd - have a cigar)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Measure of fan, alum and media base ...

Dec 3, 2020, 11:45 AM

TU for the PINK FLOYD reference!

Dec 2, 2020, 11:10 PM

None! It’s just like Penn St , ND, USC and OSU they expect to be judged on past accomplishments. If they don’t play at least 7 games I don’t think they should be in the CFP.

Dec 2, 2020, 11:24 PM

None! It’s just like Penn St , ND, USC and OSU they expect to be judged on past accomplishments. If they don’t play at least 7 games I don’t think they should be in the CFP.

I agree 100%

The committee saying # of wins is not a factor is like saying in a regular season game; "since they were leading at HalfTime they have done enough to win the game - they win - sound the final horn"!

They have played 1/2 of a season that was already shortened.

If this vaccine is affective and the world goes back to "pre-Covid-19 regular crazy" the CFPC will have set themselves up for scrutiny and questioning moving forward. Except some of the loopholes maybe closed by then. Because, if you are a non P5 school what is your motivation? Why are you spending millions on football if you will "never have a realistic shot at the playoffs"? Cincinnati in my opinion has done enough. More than O Cry O St has for sure to get in. UCF a few years back "maybe" should have gotten a shot(nah).
I kind of wish schools/coaches/AD's/Presidents/NCAA would have allowed "more" last minute rescheduling. Because if you are good to play football and an opponent isn't - you the school that is ready should be able to find an opponent who needs a game. Follow the medical guidelines your conference opponents have verbatim and go play. That way - if you didn't do enough or try hard enough - you just don't make it. It would truly be a whole Athletic Department accomplishment. Lots of logistics I know; but "it's Covid-19 2020" nothing is easy!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2020, 12:07 AM

I totally agree with your assessment, but....

The CFP is not administered by the NCAA. It is run by the P5 conferences. Period.

Allowing ANY consideration of G5 representation is only because they had to include that possibility in order to establish the CFP. It's like 5 guys sitting around a poker table, in a hunting cabin on a snowy night, kicking back with cigars and good scotch. One guy has a bad night, so he's out. As soon as it looks like a second guy is ready to retire, the remaining partners start checking out the weird guy who's been tapping on the window all night, trying to get in, because he's sure he can bring some excitement to the big boys' game.

Yeah, there's a whole bunch of guys out there, huddled in the snow, being left out of the big money action, but only the best one gets to peer thru the windows. The rest have to hope for next year.

Well, this might be the best opportunity any of those snow teams have ever had to crash the poker game.

Dec 3, 2020, 5:04 AM

That's a good analogy...except this year three conferences are having really, really bad seasons, while the ACC has 2 major contenders, the SEC 1, and another two teams - A&M and Florida - that aren't quite there but are there with Cincinnati for that last spot because somebody has to be.

Florida's got to beat the champs to do it. I don't see a path for A&M, frankly. They lost by 28 to Alabama and that loss will keep them out of the playoffs because either Alabama wins out (the most likely scenario) and gets into the playoffs as a 1-seed (which would put A&M at #4, a rematch), or Florida beats Alabama and both of those teams get in because Alabama owns the head-to-head against A&M. I see no path.

If Alabama wins out, and we beat Notre Dame - the most likely scenario, IMHO, Alabama's the 1-seed, we're the 2-seed, Cincinnati is probably the 3-seed...and Notre Dame the 4-seed.

The Committee will not want an opening-round playoff rematch of Clemson-Notre Dame III, whereas Notre Dame/Bama would draw big-time eyeballs.

Just my own crystal ball prognostication. But it's 2020, so, really, who knows?

If OSU plays (and wins) 3 more games they're in.

Dec 3, 2020, 7:22 AM

They have to play the final 2 regular season games to qualify for the B1GCG.

If they're not 7-0, they will miss out on the CFP this year I think. Either TAMU (most likely) or UF (if they beat Bama) will move ahead of them.

I know Ohio State has a huge following, but TAMU and Florida aren't exactly small fanbases themselves.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2020, 7:44 AM

It's because all sports media and governing bodies are awestruck by how well OSU hasn't played. Books and movies will be done about the games that didn't happen.

Dec 3, 2020, 9:57 AM

I would include OSU

IF...they win the next 3 games

AND win a playoff with neighboring Marshall who is ALREADY 7 and 0

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2020, 9:55 AM

CU51996 said:

They have 3 wins against awful teams ...
And a 7 point win over their only ranked opponent....

Their offense is nice ...their defense is Meh....

The eye test??? Of what? Last season?
They haven’t played enough quality games to even evaluate this season...

It’s seems unlikely they’ll play their next two games either...

They would have beat us last year but got cheated out of it and Ryan Day is still mad so they actually won last year so of course they would beat us this year and it probably wouldn’t even be close and Justin is better than Trevor and Dabo is scared tp go back to Tallahasee.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic