Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The end feels near...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

The end feels near...

Sep 6, 2020, 10:30 AM

It doesn’t feel like football season, and it may never feel like one again. Admittedly, amid a pandemic, most things feel ‘off’, but I really don’t think the college football I so enjoyed every Saturday will ever be the same. The landscape has changed. The perfect distraction has become delusionaly controversial. There’s a complete loss of order. The top is conceding to the bottom to avoid the Twitter lynch mob. The double standard is undeniably real.

I’m sure the show will go on, but sadly, I don’t anticipate I’ll be part of the crowd ushering in the new age. Some of you will say good riddance out of ignorance; others will agree in silence.

Thanks for the memories, the excitement from close wins, the pain from close losses; thanks for being an outlet and a safe haven when things seemed so grim.

Cheers to you, Clemson, and good luck.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The end feels near...

Sep 6, 2020, 10:36 AM

While I agree with much of what you say, I’m an optimist, and have to be engaged and give it a try. I’m hopeful once the season starts for the Tigers my feelings will change and the passion will come back. It’s much more than the pandemic, everything is so political and divided. Sports used to be the escape, it now feels like it is the “driver” and us fans are being used as pawns. Let’s see how things unfold, but don’t give up yet, because if you give up you are just feeding the dividers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2020, 11:11 AM

I admire your optimism and hope you're right. Often, the best lessons learned are ones people conclude on their own. That's my hope, that people will start using their brains again.

CFB needs to understand that at no point do most of their fans suddenly come to the realization that "cops are racist and bad for society" and "yep, I'm also a racist so I'd better conform". That kind of nonsense will not work with their fanbase.

Most cops are good people, and police departments aren't inherently racist. But, bad police officers surely do exist. Police need more training, and better psychological vetting.

On the other hand, we've become a mouthy, disrespectful, phone wielding, entitled mob of brats that doesn't respect each other, or authority.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2020, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: The end feels near... ]

Agree, we need to see how it all unfolds. However, these are troubling times.Ben Shapiro recently wrote."The counterculture has become the culture.And that is both a tragedy and a travesty.There can be no future for a country in which standing for the national anthem is considered gauche, while kneeling is considered heroic." I do not subscribe to the narrative that America is inherently a racist and evil country. Does racism exist? Sure, but this unrest is about a much bigger agenda. Were our laws different under Obama? Were there virtually no police shootings of blacks under Obama? Was black unemployment better under Obama? Were wages of blacks higher under Obama? I'm no big Trump fan based on his demeanor, not policy--but what exactly has happened under Trump that has reversed what was going on under Obama's tenure? If I have to listen to political messages from the players, coaches and/or networks prior to the game, like the one before the Marshall-EKU game, I've got better things to do.

Exactly..and making Whites feel bad by calling 110% of them racists..

Sep 6, 2020, 11:34 AM

isn’t going to help any more than demanding that all Whites consider all Blacks as Victims with no defining of their past of success or future of even more success & equality.

Saying..people have to respect & help others even though they may not understand what they’ve been through.

But piling on too much or often on a particular race, especially during one of the most taxing times in American history is not gonna go well for the long haul.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2020, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Re: The end feels near... ]

Black people were killed by police at more than twice the rate of white people in 2015

I pulled this from a newspaper site. It is hard to find the numbers of deaths over the years but this was 2015 and Obama was the President so it does make you wonder how much of what is happening now is political. I tell people all the time that when George Floyd was killed that almost everyone agreed it was wrong but because of what has happened since a lot of that sympathy has been lost. I do think politics will remain a part of sports for the near future but like everyone else I wish they would just play the game and leave the rest off the field. I also plan to only watch Clemson and my favorite Nfl team this year but I am not planning to watch other games in hopes that ratings will be down and the media will get the message that they need to keep it out of sports.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a good place to start getting your facts straight

Sep 7, 2020, 4:28 PM

there's nothing worse than bad facts leading bad attitudes even further astray. Feel free to roam around Larry's site and come to grips with what is really going on. Regards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KGNacVMRQo

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2020, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Re: The end feels near... ]

I fear that a lot of people who had removed themselves from racism have become bitter and racist because of the actions of people over the last 6 months. And i mean Blacks and Whites...A d*mn shame and a disgrace...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2020, 12:44 PM

Amen mogambu!

Sep 6, 2020, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Re: The end feels near... ]

I think there is a lot of merit to that. When you come on Tnet and folks are arguing about how racist “white people” are and have been for so long, wears. Nobody is perfect and everyone can do a better job of being more tolerant, but when it becomes an assault on white skin color it ceases to have any meaning past racist. The ripple effect occurring right now is very dangerous and won’t soon be forgotten .Our children’s children will be dealing with this for those not already.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2020, 11:20 PM [ in reply to Re: The end feels near... ]

What you are saying could be true. I just have something to add. People are under a lot of pressure. Negative reactions, for sure, are partly caused by people's perception of others' character flaws, some of which are very bad. It is somewhat like a married couple reaching the end of a honeymoon, then reacting negatively to previously unnoticed and serious flaws.
Much is not even race related, and it is wrong, for example, for people on this board to accuse fellow tigers of being racist. However, I think things will work themselves out by CFB championship time.

Sep 8, 2020, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: The end feels near... ]

Unfortunately, I believe there is some truth here. Maybe not necessarily racism, but certainly resentment. I think husband/wife analogy is a good one. If a husband (or wife) cannot get over past transgressions and constantly fixate on the past transgressions and bludgeon them with it, resentment creeps in and festers and the marriage is doomed to failure.

I agree not due to political issues, but more to

Sep 6, 2020, 11:47 AM

Economic issues. The run-up in cost to attend due to Facility Expansion mania/competition and other issues like NIL have forever changed the “playing field” and have decreased the number of teams that can compete. Many schools will not be able to play the $$$ game....

Sep 6, 2020, 12:38 PM

good riddance

OR Tiger arent you late for your little pantifa circle jerk?

Sep 6, 2020, 1:22 PM

i mean.. "peaceful" circle jerk?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

Re: OR Tiger arent you late for your little pantifa circle jerk?

Sep 7, 2020, 4:43 PM

I’m always on time

Sep 6, 2020, 2:20 PM

I agree I have no desire to turn on nba or nfl, it’s not like I’m struggling to resist to make some bold statement. I just have no desire, it makes me sick. I have nothing in common with the people who make up the institutions. I want nothing to do with them.

Sadly, I’m getting close with college. I watched none of the opening weekend games. Granted it was a weak slate, but in years past I would have ate up those games just for a small taste. I don’t feel excited about the coming Saturday when things heat up, I want to watch Clemson but I don’t have that desire to watch games ALL day Saturday and relish in it like a kid at Christmas. I had already been watching less and less gameday over the last couple years now have no desire to watch any of it.

It’s just all losing me, I can’t get on board with any of this nonsense based on lies, half truths, and weak statistical backup. Entire industries have been hijacked and not enough people were willing to stand up to it, so the few the could were ran off and the rest who should have caved like French sympathizers in world war 2.

It’s bad. Real bad.

Sep 6, 2020, 6:15 PM

The general lack of interest I have is surprising. I have no urge to flip on the TV and watch. I just don’t have any interest in getting lectured (even though I’m supportive of the underlying message of equality). Get enough of it from my friends, neighbors, representatives, social media, etc.

If you step back and look, you realize you are being groomed (forced) to think one way. I don’t enjoy being manipulated, so my reaction is to avoid. So, I’m looking to cancel subscriptions, filter out negativity/hate, etc. I really feel like it’s only natural... at least for me it is.

Sep 7, 2020, 8:53 AM

You make a great point. I find myself feeling the same way and doing the same things. I don't take well to being "forced" or "bullied" into doing anything.

Like you, I'm hedging my bets about watching CFB (including Clemson) this fall. I won't be lectured to during a football game (especially by people not fit to lecture). If CFB turns into the NFL, MLB, NASCAR, etc...I simply won't watch. That includes canceling my IPTAY and season tickets. I won't support a movement created by smart/wealthy people to control dumber/less wealthy people. I'm off facebook (no biggie), no more MLB, NASCAR, and haven't watched the NFL in two years.

"Lack of interest" is the best description I've heard.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2020, 6:16 PM [ in reply to Re: The end feels near... ]

I agree I have no desire to turn on nba or nfl, it’s not like I’m struggling to resist to make some bold statement. I just have no desire, it makes me sick. I have nothing in common with the people who make up the institutions. I want nothing to do with them.

Sadly, I’m getting close with college. I watched none of the opening weekend games. Granted it was a weak slate, but in years past I would have ate up those games just for a small taste. I don’t feel excited about the coming Saturday when things heat up, I want to watch Clemson but I don’t have that desire to watch games ALL day Saturday and relish in it like a kid at Christmas. I had already been watching less and less gameday over the last couple years now have no desire to watch any of it.

It’s just all losing me, I can’t get on board with any of this nonsense based on lies, half truths, and weak statistical backup. Entire industries have been hijacked and not enough people were willing to stand up to it, so the few the could were ran off and the rest who should have caved like French sympathizers in world war 2.

It’s bad. Real bad.

There is reason for optimism. I feel like the rest of you but take solace in the truth. What these idiots extol relentlessly is a lie. Their logic is flawed. Creating victims is not a winning strategy. Victims turn on each other eventually. They will implode sooner rather than later.

get ready.. because all of the games yesterday were shoving

Sep 6, 2020, 6:19 PM

what we have been hearing the past 3-4 months in almost every commercial break and then the commentators and the antics on the field.. i have to imagine the bigger programs will put on even more of a show. its the end of sports because the majority of us will get tired of having this crap shoved in our faces.

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

woke lecture ball is here to stay***

Sep 6, 2020, 6:25 PM

Re: woke lecture ball is here to stay***

Sep 7, 2020, 4:44 PM

And I for 1 am glad for it

agree who would want to watch football

Sep 7, 2020, 7:23 PM

when we can get a good lecturing from limousine millionaires telling us how we are sinning for being white.

Sep 6, 2020, 6:28 PM

I felt the same way yesterday. Lost interest in Gameday several years ago. After lunch I tuned in to watch a few minutes of the Marshall game. All they wanted to talk about was the shirts the EK coaches were wearing and the BLM crap. I turned the channel and returned to the yard. I then read where Gameday spent 75% of their 2 hour show discussing the same crap with Kirk giving a Oscar nominee performance. If this is the new normal for college football. I’ll give it up like I have all pro sports.

The score of the Marshall-EKU game told me

Sep 6, 2020, 9:03 PM

If you can't play...wear a shirt that has good 'optics'. That's all I got.

Re: The score of the Marshall-EKU game told me

Sep 7, 2020, 11:40 PM

Basketball pick up games with shirts and skins are on the way out. The only way to save them is to integrate them with some women.

If they spent as much time on football as they did designing their shirts

Sep 8, 2020, 10:01 AM [ in reply to The score of the Marshall-EKU game told me ]

They might’ve scored

Sep 7, 2020, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Re: The end feels near... ]

So Who Won?

Marshall 59

BLM Shirts 0

Go Thundering Herd

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Guess its down to HS sports and college baseball

Sep 6, 2020, 6:35 PM

Fine by me!

There's a magic device which can fix this for good...

Sep 6, 2020, 6:43 PM

it's called a mute button. Marion Fagan of Rockwood, TN first introduced me to this concept in 1975 when he clicked a switch wired between the amp and speaker on his TV. It become widely available since but seldom used.

Research the device called 'remote,' and enjoy football without all the horsechit rhetoric from ESPiN.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2020, 7:30 PM

I have to agree. I'm a college football junkie! But if it's going to become a political based pregame and commentary, then I wont watch. This weekends games were not great,but in the past I would have sat through every game. I probably watched 2 quarters all weekend combined. I'm tired of being called racist and told that I have to "makeup " for what happened 100 years ago. I'm not a racist person. Some cannot resist painting everyone with a broad brush. All cops are bad all whites are racist ect?? This is ignorance.

Sep 6, 2020, 11:59 PM

I feel this.

Sep 7, 2020, 10:48 PM

I am with you its near but how near no one knows. The signs are there
I hope Clemson get another NC before the end comes.

Sep 7, 2020, 11:28 AM

I think it is about to be the end of the clemson national championship drought! We are well positioned to win it in this crazy year and I don't want to miss a chance at a NC. :)

Remember when we would get blown out by FSU? Lose to the gamecocks? This is the golden time.

Sep 7, 2020, 1:46 PM

I think a lot of folks are waiting and watching to see what happens this season. Clemson University is in a hard place where they will be pressured mightily by the momentum of this social justice movement, but at the same time try to maintain the prestige, respect and dignity of over 130 years of land grant institution excellence. Can Clemson leadership stand up in these times and show support for social advancement in a productive way, while not alienating and coming across as preaching to its proud base? Dabo, Radokovich, Clements, and the Clemson BOT have an amazingly tough balancing act to try to keep everyone happy in our divided world. I would not want their job.

Personally, I think they need to leave the uniforms alone. Dabo has preached branding and the importance of tradition and a consistent uniform approach. The trade off could be we may all just have to be tolerant of “progressive” ideas on public service announcements (some will see as beating the dead horse) and other activism. I am going to do my dead level best to be as understanding and tolerant as possible in these crazy times, and support my Tigers and hopefully we’ll all be better for the experience. I believe this too shall pass. But the CU leadership better understand the volatility and fire they are playing with here.

I’m not sure how I will ultimately feel and react if we see the BLM fist replace the paw on one side of the Clemson helmet and other social justice related names or symbols on jerseys? That will probably put me squarely in the boat with you guys! What if Clemson does the infamous blackout game? Please say no! If I am not mistaken the ncaa made it off limits for players to even put bible verse references in their eye black and on wristbands? Remember CJ? I’m like Dabo, if more people read those verses and took them to heart, we may not be where we are today? Of course he was skewered and cowered for his Christian stance on all of this. It will be hard to swallow if controversial political affiliations are promoted by athletic teams of my university. Im sure most all of us believe whole-heartedly in equality, and surely believe black lives equally matter, but a lot of us likely don’t believe in the entire “political platform” attached to the social activist groups like BLM and others. I am 100% behind all men are created by our God equally. We should act that way in all that we do.

I do fear that some who are breathless in support of social justice may miss capitalizing on opportunities in life. Could they be so busy complaining about not having opportunities that they miss the great ones they do have? Adversity is a great motivator given the right mindset. When Is the victim mindset reformative versus when does it become debilitating?

For those of you who are over the edge already, there’s plenty of other exciting things to do nearby on game day. It’s not the end of the world. I’m not off the wagon yet, but if/when I am you can bet I’ve been wanting to go fly fishing, bass and bream fishing, hiking, hunting, and just loafing and leaf looking with the wife more.

Black helmet white paw is coming***

Sep 7, 2020, 3:57 PM

Sep 8, 2020, 12:06 AM [ in reply to Re: The end feels near... ]

Ihopehedo, your post is excellent. We all can hope that CFB will not kill the golden goose as the pros have done. What got us here does not need a lot of meddlers. You also made a good point about God's oneness. There is no other. There is one standard. As long as all participants live by the one standard of conduct, everything is ok. But that's a hard thing for some to admit.

Maybe ask CJ what he thinks...***

Sep 7, 2020, 1:54 PM

Re: Maybe ask CJ what he thinks...***

Sep 7, 2020, 2:15 PM

CJ is a coach so I feel confident his Christian values and wisdom and life experiences as a black athlete will all be imparted to Dabo and the players and others within his sphere of influence. CJ will provide Dabo a perspective he alone cannot have, but from one Christian brother to another. That’s invaluable to Dabo.

I was very pleased with the protest the team had in Clemson. It was clear the players and coaches approached in a productive and classy mindset. This experience and having great men like CJ on board gives me hope the Clemson family will survive these trying times largely intact, and move forward as a positive voice for equality and unity.

So long as the players openly endorse BLM as an Organization

Sep 7, 2020, 4:37 PM

your words are absolutely meaningless.

It is impossible to be a Marxist Leftist and be a Christian at the same time.

It is also impossible to be a Marxist Leftist and be a Free American at the same time.

People who are trying to play "peacemaker" in the current environment are simply playing the role of enablers to the Democratic group who will do anything to steal the upcoming Election. These people only know Power, not Principles.

Re: So long as the players openly endorse BLM as an Organization

Sep 7, 2020, 4:52 PM

You speak the plain truth olemike59.

WELL SAID but the woke don’t like that narrative.***

Sep 7, 2020, 5:22 PM [ in reply to So long as the players openly endorse BLM as an Organization ]

Enjoy your pity party, the season starts with DUKE for me

Sep 8, 2020, 12:26 AM

at !2 noon next Sat. I hope Chase outguns N.D.'s good qb!

Re: Enjoy your pity party, the season starts with DUKE for me***

Sep 8, 2020, 8:21 AM

You might want to talk to your Dr., Zoloft works great***

Sep 8, 2020, 9:20 AM

says yet another man living in Blissful Ignorance

Sep 8, 2020, 9:28 AM

Most of them Doctors is Liberal as heck, so I generally avoid them - especially during a "pandemic". Toodles.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic