Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Many forget D. Cain was excellent with DW in 2016
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Many forget D. Cain was excellent with DW in 2016

Apr 28, 2018, 4:29 PM

Cain was recognized as a pre-season All-American and All-ACC by many:

- 2nd team All-American by Walter Camp (one of top four with Calvin Ridley, Christian Kirksey & Courtland Sutton)

http://www.walterfootball.com/allamericans2017wr.php

- 1st Team All-ACC by ESPN who called him "Big Play Cain" and Athlon

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/99573/2017-preseason-espn-com-all-acc-team

- ACC media gave him more pre-season votes than any other ACC recvrs even more than Bradley Chubb (oops)- one of five Tigers recognized as 1st team All-ACC

https://247sports.com/college/virginia/Bolt/Preseason-All-ACC-Teams-revealed-103672063

Cain (38 catches at 19.1 per catch & 9 TD's), McCloud (49 catches at 9.6 yds per catch & 2 TD's) and Renfrow (44 catches at 11.3 per catch and 6 TD's) caught 131 passes in 2016. After Mike Williams, Cain was right there with Leggett with more ypc and TD's, and ahead of Scott, Ray Ray and Renfrow in regular season productivity. A year later it was Cain (58 catches at 12.7 per catch & 6 TD's), McCloud (49 catches at 10.3 per catch & 1 TD) and Renfrow (60 catches at 10.0 per catch & 3 TD's). No doubt Williams and Leggett were missed in 2017, but Cain just did not take it to the expected next level due to missing DW and his own self-induced drops. Still I am surprised at Cain's massive drop in draft status based on his speed and potential.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Many forget D. Cain was excellent with DW in 2016

Apr 28, 2018, 4:41 PM

Quote from article on Tnet about Cain being drafted:

"This guy is not at the top of the level of some of the receivers who have come out of Clemson," ESPN's Todd McShay said Saturday, "but what he is - is a vertical route-runner. He can get down the field. He's inconsistent tracking the ball. Clemson coaches got frustrated because he had so many opportunities to make plays and he would make some - but he wouldn't do it consistently.

He has all the talent in the world but has not yet decided to be 100% dedicated to making himself one of the best receivers to come out of Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm no scout, but as an avid fan I was more suprised when Cain made

Apr 29, 2018, 11:12 AM

plays than when he didn't.
He was a good receiver and I'm glad he is a Tiger, but I'm not shocked to see the fall.
Its also inappropriate to place the blame on KB as many have suggested. Perhaps if Cain had made better plays on the 50/50 balls that were on target, we would feel differently about KB. (Yes, he still overthrows at times.. I get it)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Apr 28, 2018, 4:48 PM

Yes I am kinda shocked that Cain did'nt get drafted before the 6th round, but let this be a warning to guys that wasn't blowing up people during their time as a junior, they better stay in school and work even harder bc you have to be d a m good and get lucky to get drafted in the 1st and 2nd round of the NFL. There is more average players trying to get in the NFL than there are great players leaving!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2018, 5:39 PM

Yea very true a lot of people do seem to forget the huge plays he made In big games and overall success throughout the season as a whole. All of the WRs numbers went down and suffered this year with our passing game dropping significantly. Yea he had some big drops but he was a good wr for clemson. Go Tigers!! Good luck Cain and ray ray 10 former clemson wr currently on NFL rosters WRU!!!

Apr 28, 2018, 6:07 PM

I don’t think his success was because of DW although that helped. I said before Deon Cain is not a number 1 receiver. He can’t take over a game a la Nuk, Sammy, and Williams did.

You don’t use high draft picks on receivers that rely on another person to take the double team. I do think round 6 is late for Cain and I think he will be a good pro as long as he doesn’t have to be a 1 WR and Indy can keep Hilton.

Didn't play to well in our national championship loss.

Apr 28, 2018, 6:18 PM

Can hardly remember him on the field.

Re: Didn't play to well in our national championship loss.

Apr 28, 2018, 6:21 PM

The whole offense was non existent. I do remember early in the first quarter a critical third down drop that would have moved the chains. Hard to blame that debacle on just one person though.

Ouch! I thought it, couldn't say it. Had to be hard sitting home.***

Apr 30, 2018, 2:45 AM [ in reply to Didn't play to well in our national championship loss. ]

null

Apr 28, 2018, 7:06 PM

Too bad Houston didn't get him.

Apr 29, 2018, 10:47 AM

Not really a fair comparison. Last year Cain was on the field with Scott, Leggett, Renfrow, and/or Williams. He was basically a third or fourth option, and flourished in that role. This year he was the first option and he was not as successful as the "man" in our offense.

With a different QB I think he would have shined.

Apr 29, 2018, 11:06 AM

He wasn't really playing to his strengths with KB.

Re: With a different QB I think he would have shined.

Apr 30, 2018, 7:24 AM

And with a better receiver, KB might have shined also. I never saw Cain put the same effort into catches as Williams, Renfrow, Scott, or Leggett. If the ball wasn't thrown right to him, he seemed to never give that effort to get to the ball that made those other guys great and help Watson.

Apr 30, 2018, 6:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Many forget D. Cain was excellent with DW in 2016 ]

walrus said:

Not really a fair comparison. Last year Cain was on the field with Scott, Leggett, Renfrow, and/or Williams. He was basically a third or fourth option, and flourished in that role. This year he was the first option and he was not as successful as the "man" in our offense.

Apr 30, 2018, 6:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Many forget D. Cain was excellent with DW in 2016 ]

walrus said:

I was going to say the same thing with our other recievers/tight ends on the field he wasn't drawing the top db's. Last year he was the top priority and couldn't produce. As for him and Ray Ray leaving early, I think they saw what was coming in and decided to get out while they were starters.

He will have a great NFL career.

Apr 29, 2018, 11:05 AM

He is still learning. He also will have a QB who can throw it down field if Luck ever gets healthy.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic