Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mahomes or Watson?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Mahomes or Watson?

Feb 15, 2021, 1:15 PM

If you were to start an NFL franchise and could pick between the two to be your QB, who would you pick? Can’t really go wrong with either.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mahomes or Watson?

Feb 15, 2021, 1:31 PM

Noting the Texan's coaching(play calling), poor trades, and unresponsive defense I would definitely take Watson for his self driven success on the field.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2021, 1:41 PM

Agree you could not go wrong with either. It seems like a Montana and Marino situation. Arguably the two best of their era but one landed in a much better situation than the other.

Weren't you paying attention in 2017

Feb 15, 2021, 1:52 PM

Obviously it was Mitchell Trubisky

Feb 15, 2021, 1:55 PM

It's a really hard comparison to make because the talent around the two has been much different. I don't hold that against Mahomes at all, because often times when we point out how much talent a player has around them it's in an effort to minimize how good of a player they are. I certainly wouldn't minimize the talent of Mahomes at all. I'm only saying it's hard to compare them in terms of win/loss record and stats due to how different the situations have been.

I do think Mahomes is more physically talented, and that's not a knock against Watson because Mahomes may be the most physically talented QB in the league right now, and perhaps only Trevor Lawrence will be able to compare to him in that regard in the near future. Just take a look at a couple of the throws he made in the Super Bowl nearly falling down as he threw the ball and still ended up giving his receivers a chance to make a catch down the field. I've seen him make throws while literally stepping backwards away from a pass rusher and still managed to throw a dart right into the hands of his target.

I've always said though that Watson has the "IT" factor which is why I'd actually pick him over Lawrence if I could choose any Clemson QB to win a single game with. That's not a knock against Lawrence at all, but I'd compare Watson's drive and will to win to that of someone like Michael Jordan.

I think most NFL scouts would pick Mahomes due to his physical talent along with the numbers he's already put up. For me it would be a decision that would keep me up all night. The good news is I don't think you could go wrong with either player.

Feb 15, 2021, 2:00 PM

DJ is the kid that’s going to surprise us all & surpass both of them winning 2 Natty’s, get ready!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Feb 15, 2021, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Mahomes or Watson? ]

100% agree with this take. Watson’s greatest attribute is attribute is the ‘It’ factor he brings to table, and that is very difficult to measure. He has a knack for getting whatever he needs done to win (Dabo’s Michael Jordan comparison is relevant). I’ve often asked myself who I would take between DW4 and TL16 if I had to choose, and while all the measurables point to TL, I have some serious difficulty making that pick- particularly in the ‘If you had to win one game’ scenario you lay out. I tend to find myself agreeing and opting for Watson in that scenario myself.... fortunately we’ll never have to make that pick, and we won the lottery with two back-to-back amazing QB’s. Hope we are having this same discussion and including DJ in that mix 2 years from now...

Feb 15, 2021, 2:18 PM

I find it hard to believe that a poster on this board referenced a couple of throws that P.M. made in the super bowl as "athletic". They were prayer throws, which makes him look good if one of his great receivers goes and gets it. If D.W. had his tight end his #s would be unbelievable. As for saying he is the best athlete as far as QBs go-----NO, that belongs to Lamar Jackson without question. DW is better than PM, other posters made better points about being surrounded by better players has put him in the playoffs more, not his ability, alone.

Feb 15, 2021, 5:40 PM

I know right! Why do people think he is so physically talented? I mean yeah, the O-line didn't have a single hand on 3 out of the four rushers 3 seconds after the snap. and yeah he was able to get enough arm strength on the pass to go 30+ yards with both feet off the ground while failing to his right, but come on he has Darrel Williams catching passes. That guy is an undrafted running back with 2 career touchdown receptions and only 4 DBs around him. It's easy to make QB's look good with pass catcher who get open like him. How do you expect a player to catch a ball with no contact when it hits them in the facemask? Not to mention its risky, on 4th and 9 to throw the ball in danger like that. You either take the sack or throw it away on 4th down, that's the sign of a good QB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Athletic doesn't mean fastest guy***

Feb 15, 2021, 7:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Mahomes or Watson? ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2021, 7:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Mahomes or Watson? ]

I don’t believe I said athletic. I said physically gifted, which I thought was pretty obvious along with my comments on the types of throws he makes was in reference to his arm strength and accuracy.

Mahomes is a magician throwing the football

Feb 16, 2021, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Mahomes or Watson? ]

He can throw accurately and with velocity on any platform and at any arm angle. I've never seen anyone else do that.

DW, he has played under much more difficult circumstances

Feb 15, 2021, 2:24 PM

and most times puts up more than enough pts to win given a decent d and even remotely serviceable blocking. He has the “feel where the heat is coming from”better than any qb I have seen. He had no choice but to learn it.

Feb 15, 2021, 3:37 PM

Honestly a tough call but I'm taking DW4 any day of the week for obvious reasons

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tough call. I’d like to see them swap teams

Feb 15, 2021, 5:42 PM

And see how good DW4 could be

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2021, 6:02 PM

It's all situational. IMO Mahomes lucked into a great situation and the team has made him look far better than he would on a team like Houston. DW4 on the other hand has looked amazing on a MUCH worse team. So with that I would pick DW4. Too many people on here fanboy over a few side armed throws which are a biproducts of his baseball past.

DW4 vs TL? Depends on the makeup of the team. No run game or pass block? DW4. Great pass blocking? TL probably gives you a higher ceiling. College team were officiating is mediocre lends itself to DW4 because he will roll with the punches better as he's shiftier. NFL where officials protect the QB more probably gives TL an advantage.

If you ask me who to take as QB and I'll be coaching some random team? DW4 all day. DW4 has an ultra high ceiling AND he can do a lot with a little. He's a one man wrecking crew. TL isn't far behind be he has less "solo" tools his running abilities. I would be interested to know which one had a higher football IQ. I never hear anyone mention TL's football IQ good or bad (which is odd). I feel like DW4's is known as pretty high IQ player.

Feb 15, 2021, 7:03 PM

I’ve gotta go with DW. No doubt.

Feb 16, 2021, 1:22 AM

DW4..Better hair.

But seriously, as noted earlier by several, Watson just had it. Mahomes has a gun on him, but is also with a great offensive minded coach who has surrounded him with incredible playmakers. Two of the best RBs, A couple of the best WRs and possibly the games best TE. DW4 had Nuk...and then he too was gone. Left he had a WR in Fuller that is fast but has suspect hands and cant ever stay on the field. He had a turnstile of backup types at RB and at best serviceable TEs. And don't even get me started on coaching and O line. And even with all of that, Watson still had a monster year. So yeah, given Reid selecting him instead, I think Watson has at least one Ring.

I obviously wear Orange Colored Glasses, but in this case,

Feb 16, 2021, 9:15 AM

I would have to go business over heart, and take Mahomes. He just has some "other worldly" ability to make plays in just about any situation. So does Deshaun, but Mahomes just makes it look too easy.

Now, if we were back in the era of QBs calling their own plays, I just might take Watson. He seems to me to be more cerebral, if that makes any sense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2021, 9:22 AM

Watson! Look at what he's done with so little in Texas. His stats this year were amazing. DW4 would have fared much better than Mahomes did in this year's Super Bowl.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

This isn't a knock on Watson, who is probably the second

Feb 16, 2021, 10:52 AM

most valuable QB in the league right now, but the answer is Mahomes.

I'd have to go Mahomes. DW put up great numbers - but it

Feb 16, 2021, 11:03 AM

seemed like the Texans would get down 3 TDs - so their opponent would go to a "prevent" defense and then DW would light them up in the 4th quarter.

Their surrounding cast is so different - it's really hard to say. In the Super Bowl, Mahomes definitely saw what DW has to deal with every game...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic