Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swinney discusses his relationship with Tommy Bowden
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

FB Update: Swinney discusses his relationship with Tommy Bowden

Jul 21, 2015, 10:30 AM

Swinney discusses his relationship with Tommy Bowden

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think that CTB gets the appreciation . . .

Jul 21, 2015, 10:59 AM

that he deserves from Clemson fans.

He took a program that was in the worst shape that I had seen it during my lifetime (I've followed Clemson football since Frank Howard coached), and brought it to the brink of national respectability. He was the architect of greatly needed improved facilities, and had the foresight to bring Coach Swinney in. He further convinced TDP to go way out on a limb and give CDS the interim job.

He left the program in far better shape than he found it, and I never understand the vitriol that some fans express towards him.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CTB IS A GOOD CHRISTIAN MAN!***

Jul 21, 2015, 11:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I don't think that CTB gets the appreciation . . .

Jul 21, 2015, 12:01 PM [ in reply to I don't think that CTB gets the appreciation . . . ]

I'm with you "Cat". I have never understood why and how people get so ugly when disappointed with a coach. My wife and I knew Tommy and his wife pretty well. They were and remain first class people. Folks have praised TDP for hiring Dabo, on and on, when if fact, it was Tommy who very unselfishly recommended Dabo, and once again, Tommy did Clemson a great favor. He has stood quietly with his usual humility and let people praise TDP for the hire, when we really have Tommy to thank for selling Clemson on Dabo. The Bowdens will always be the kind of people you would want your sons and daughters to be around. Does he have weaknesses, yes, but the only person I know that had none was nailed to a cross!

TB also brought B Scott,J Scott & Tony Elliott to Clemson.

Jul 21, 2015, 6:36 PM [ in reply to I don't think that CTB gets the appreciation . . . ]

The Man laid the groundwork and should get the credit. As stated below,I think some forget how low Clemson had sunk before TB.

Well, according to South Park 1/4 people are retarded.

Jul 21, 2015, 7:03 PM [ in reply to I don't think that CTB gets the appreciation . . . ]

I'd say the same goes for Clemson fans.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Jul 21, 2015, 10:12 PM [ in reply to I don't think that CTB gets the appreciation . . . ]

Agreed...Clemsons overall program was in poor shape before Bowden helped put it back on solid footing, and Dabo has done a great job building upon the foundation that Bowden and co. put up. Bowden brought in some good people, lobbied for improved facilities, improved the recruiting, improved player academics, rarely lost to South Carolina, did well against FSU, and pretty much went to a bowl game every year...Bowden and the guys he brought in did alot to improve the Clemson program, and thats a fact.
Swinney has proved to be right man for the job since he took the reigns...Swinney and co. have rlly elevated the Clemson program to new heights in all areas, and you gotta luv having such a dynamic coach who is all in/all about the Tigers:) Captain Swinney definitely has the Tiger ship sailing straight:)

Jul 21, 2015, 10:49 PM [ in reply to I don't think that CTB gets the appreciation . . . ]

Had CTB been given the money and the admin. support that Dabo has, I believe CTB would have had the same success Dabo has enjoyed.

Tommy Bowden was a class act suggesting Dabo

Jul 21, 2015, 11:02 AM

Tommy was always a class act. I'm thankful he chose Dabo as his WR coach and that he asked that he be the intern coach.

Tommy wasn't as good at finding good coaches and delegating. He was never as good a recruiter in relating to the players personalities. He had the coots and FSU's number, he put his dad and another coach in retirement...lol

He had an ability to beat the teams he shouldn't but he started that term about losing to teams we shouldn't. He also never could change his game plan. Whatever he started with he stayed with. He could never fire a coach.

Again, I'm thankful he brought Dabo in and both of them run clean programs challenging the players to do great academically.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: Tommy Bowden was a class act suggesting Dabo

Jul 21, 2015, 12:36 PM

He would also always have an excuse instead of just taking ownership. It's was always "oh, we were just 6 plays away from a national championship" or something like that. He also never seemed to have much passion for what he did. It was like he went into coaching because it was the family business and it's just what he was supposed to do.

That's a stretch

Jul 21, 2015, 2:15 PM

First and foremost, ALL coaches will make "excuses" as you call them. Dabo is as guilty as any but they are all built in the same mold: "had our opportunities", "couldn't make a few plays we needed", "we would split 50-50 with FSU", "turnovers changed the game". Sometimes being lucky is part of it. Frankly, if Bobby Bowden had 1/10th the luck Jimbo has had, he would have won several more NC.

You don't stay in the coaching business without substantial passion; it is a ridiculously challenging job that would drive a marginal coach out in a few short years. Bowden was too loyal to some mediocre coaches but also had some bad luck that he couldn't control. Dabo is clearly a better HC but Tommy was a very good OC. Had he fired Spence and put Dabo as OC, he might still be here.

Regardless, Tommy brought Clemson into the modern era of football and his significance and impact are woefully ignored by way too many Clemson fans upset over his buyout. How that is his fault, I'll never know as there is not one person in the country that would have turned down what TDP offered him.

Tommy has a different style than Dabo and fans should recognize there are many ways to succeed in all walks of life. Saban, Meyer and many others have different personalities and manage their programs differently but very successfully. Dabo is successful in large part because he knows his strengths and weaknesses, structures his program around those and hires people who align with his philosophy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Im wondering if people can quite remember the low times

Jul 21, 2015, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Tommy Bowden was a class act suggesting Dabo ]

that were clemson football during his tenure. How quickly folks have forgotten. Sure. Great Christian man, but terrible leader. I will remember him as a building block in the return of Tiger football, but no more than that. Well that and eating grass while staring at the ground as we are getting blown out.

Are you a coot? You sound like a coot

Jul 21, 2015, 7:08 PM

because they rip on him in the same way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Im wondering if people can quite remember the low times

Jul 21, 2015, 10:54 PM [ in reply to Im wondering if people can quite remember the low times ]

Rich Rod leaving hurt him badly. I honestly believe he would have won a national championship had Rich stayed.

Low times, you are talking about low times??

Jul 22, 2015, 8:11 AM [ in reply to Im wondering if people can quite remember the low times ]

When I was a student, we flat out sucked under Tommy West. ,sucked, sucked, sucked.d.d.d.

There were many disappointments under Biwden, but his tenure was miles above who he replaced.

Don't get me wrong, I agreed it was time for him to go when it finally happened, but give the guy some credit for at least pulling the ship off the rocks and starting repairs.

Re: Low times, you are talking about low times??

Jul 27, 2015, 7:02 PM

Amen, it seems the ones that say we forget about Bowben are the ones who forgot about Hatfield/West steering the ship into the dirt. Almost a decade of " up the middle, up the middle, up the middle Punt!" When Bowden got here I remember the lost hope we got back. It didn't turn out the way we had hoped but it was better than a 3 win season like wests last year. Clemson should never be that low and he picked us up and dusted us off and pointed us in the right direction. Glad Swinney is our coach but much thanks toTommy.

Re: Low times, you are talking about low times??

Jul 30, 2015, 9:25 AM

WHEW!!!!!! Just got back from therapy... The mention of Tommy West put me in a depressed, nightmarish state!!!!!! Eh, make not doubt about it!!! Tommy Bowden put up back in the conversation on a national level. Not national championship conversations. But we once again had a repectable team and respectable seasons. We were able to beat FSU and SC. Moore importantly He left us in a decent condition and left us with what turned out to be a pretty good darm head coach. SO give the man some credit..... I was a student when they ran off Danny Ford. We wailed and moaned about that for 10 years..... Especially when we sucked for all those years...... Well its time to enjoy where we are. We are at heights we have never been. I am sure that our team the last few years would have beat our 81 team... SO ENJOY THE RIDE!!!!!!

Give it up. You know who rips on Bowden?

Jul 21, 2015, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Tommy Bowden was a class act suggesting Dabo ]

Coots. Because he owned them. Recognize the work the man did for Clemson or #### about it.

He's responsible for where our program is today; facilities, emphasis on academics, recruiting groundwork, and Dabo.

Coot? Good one. Guy was a bum coach. Sorry, I don't

Jul 21, 2015, 9:54 PM

Don't put him on a pedestal like you. If you think he was great, good for you. Stupid, but I respect your opinion.

Re: Tommy Bowden was a class act suggesting Dabo

Jul 21, 2015, 10:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Tommy Bowden was a class act suggesting Dabo ]

He had passion for coaching. He had very little passion about talking to the media.

When I was an undergrad at Clemson I worked at an academic

Jul 21, 2015, 7:00 PM

camp for high school students over the summer. One of the campers my first year asked (probably jokingly) when we could tour the football facilities. Saying "why the heck not" I shot Bowden an email (back in the day all that information was a click away for students). He emailed me back setting up a time. Over the next several summers I took dozens of kids to meet him as well as some of the players. The fact he took time out of his schedule to do that was pretty awesome. He is a nice guy. I'm sure some folks wonder why I defend him on here. This is why. I'm a Bowden fan. He played a role in getting out football program to where it is today. Also, 63-17.

So he was a great coach b/c you witnessed him take time

Jul 21, 2015, 9:56 PM

out of his day? With those evaluation abilities, I'm going to forget you called me a coot based on your ignorance. I forgive you.

Where in my post did I say he was a great coach?

Jul 21, 2015, 11:25 PM

Not so bright this coot Morris.

Then remind me what your argument was dummy?

Jul 22, 2015, 7:32 AM

B/c I was grading him COMPLETELY on coaching ability. You used to hold hands with him and are emotionally attached. You were obviously one the pumpers back in the day.

thanks, fan.***

Jul 22, 2015, 8:44 AM

We shall agree to disagree. I apologize for name calling. My

Jul 22, 2015, 9:29 AM

inner child took over.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic