Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Let's give a ton of credit to Dan Brooks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Let's give a ton of credit to Dan Brooks

Jan 5, 2021, 9:50 AM

I love BV, hope he stays here until he retires, and still feel he's the best in the business. However, the best thing about our defense under BV has been our DL. We've never had a more dominant DL under Dabo and BV as we did under Brooks. I know he retired after the 2016 season, but he had laid the foundation for the DL that allowed us to remain dominant through 2018.

It's not entirely fair to judge after the 2018 season based on all the talent we lost, and we have a ton of young talent now which should have our DL being dominant again. Based on that the point of this post isn't to say we've dropped off, but I do think Brooks deserves to get a ton of credit right along with BV for the play of our defense during the first 4 years of our 6 year CFP run.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't recall anyone NOT giving Brooks credit for what

Jan 5, 2021, 9:52 AM

he did.........are you implying something here about our current coaching staff? Sure seems like it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: I don't recall anyone NOT giving Brooks credit for what

Jan 5, 2021, 9:59 AM

I realize it may come across that way, but I'm honestly not. That's why I mentioned us losing a ton of talent on the DL after the 2018 season, and that we currently have a lot of young talent there. I don't think it would be fair to judge any coaching or development on the DL since 2018 for that very reason. Also, even though Brooks left us in good hands at the DL position in 2016, our coaches still continued to coach and develop those players for the next 2 years so it's not as if they deserve no credit for those years either.

I was just randomly thinking of our defense this season, and thought Brooks deserved a shoutout for all he did for us.

Re: Let's give a ton of credit to Dan Brooks

Jan 5, 2021, 10:01 AM

he was one of the great position coaches ever at any school and at any position

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Speaking of assistant coaches...

Jan 5, 2021, 10:03 AM

what is the likelihood that following the completion of season ending evaluations, some changes will be structured.

I can think of one position in particular that has regressed significantly over the last couple of years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Speaking of assistant coaches...

Jan 5, 2021, 10:05 AM

I can think of at least 3, to be honest.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: Speaking of assistant coaches...

Jan 5, 2021, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Speaking of assistant coaches... ]

I have seen a great need for improvement in four areas. But is the problem coaching or talent or both?

In order of impact and importance: biggest priority:

1. OL
2. DL
3. LB
4. DB

Clemson hasn’t had a truly solid or dominant OL since 1990 or 91. This has been our biggest weakness for decades. Regardless of coaching staff. We certainly have more talent coming in based on 2020 and 2021 recruiting but do we have the personnel in place to properly develop them? I am wondering if our scheme is effective and is it best suited for the talent we have?

Venables definitely needs to make adjustments on defense. Clearly we have lost a ton of talent since 2018, but we have more problems than simply talent. Several teams have exploited us this year due to our inability to get lined up properly and quickly. We certainly have more talent on the way, but I think our scheme needs adjusting. Do we also need to evaluate some of our defensive position coaches?

Jan 5, 2021, 10:15 AM

I understand what you are saying, but I think that you need to take other things into consideration as well. There are no Christian Wilkins along that defensive line either. Don't ever underestimate the magnitude of what Wilkins brought to the table besides just pure talent alone. No my friend, Christian was a leader amongst men and made each and every teammate better. Brooks was a great coach, but what we witnessed with the Power Rangers was a combination of extremely good talent being coached by a great position coach and a leader who held everyone accountable. A leader must rise and take it to another level.

Brooks was one of the best ever

Jan 5, 2021, 12:27 PM

Dan comes from this area where I live and I know his family well. His sister has been a friend of mine for forty years and is married to one of my dearest friends . They are all great people and I really hated to see him retire and move back to a Tennessee.. Dan was also a great recruiter and his value to a Clemson was immense. He has a son who is coaching at the D2 level but I’m not sure where.

Lots of work to do with line play during the off season. Dabo will get us better

Jan 5, 2021, 12:35 PM

Don’t forget Marion Hobby too. I’ve long contended that Bates and Hall benefitted greatly from the strong foundation those coaches laid upon Ferrell, Wilkins, Big Dex and Bryant. I’m a little more sold on Bates as a developer of talent (see Tyler Davis). As for Hall, I’m not sold at all whatsoever. All the defensive ends have not improved under his watch to the level that we need to be competitive on the big stage.

Jan 5, 2021, 5:03 PM

You are not wrong on the DEs imo. That is an area that has regressed greatly the last two years. Henry tries, I truly believe it. But he needs to add a LOT of mass in my opinion. If he can add another 15-20 lbs and get stronger he would be a lot better imo. As for XT... I got nothing. Has the tools, but I just have not seen anything but a flash here and there, like the sack against Cuse. Murphy looks great and once he gets stronger will be a force as will Bresee. Those two kids are studs, but for all those who thought they would do more this year I contend that almost no true freshman is going to win consistently against a fully grown power 5 Player with 4 or more years under there belt and all that S&C. Man body vs Young Buck. Give those boys some steaks and a tire to chew on and in two years they will be REALLY GOOD.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic