Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Legitimate Results
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 3,021

Legitimate Results

Nov 4, 2020, 11:04 AM

Looking forward to seeing how our game Saturday pans out. (I love a clickbait subject line)

I'm cautiously optimistic and excited that we can put a complete game together on Saturday night. I have to assume that Venables is salivating at the thought of facing a ND offense that seems to be fairly one-dimensional. Despite injuries, our front 7 is built to grind out a long, physical game with the depth that has been developed.

Even more so, I'm excited to see what kind of game plan is put together for DJU in his first full week to prepare as the starter. Obviously the game plan last week was built for Trevor and DJU executed it near flawlessly. The offense has had subtle differences over the past few years, to play to the strengths of each great QB, and I'm looking forward to a glimpse of what the DJU edition of that will look like.

With as much this game has already been talked about, what are some x-factors or points you all are looking for on Saturday night?

Go Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Legitimate Results

Nov 4, 2020, 11:11 AM

You got the TU from me for the well-timed bait and switch headline.

As far as keys to the game, I think one aspect will be huge:

DJ has only played one game against a defense that was not exactly world beaters.

I think a huge key is going to be for our defense to not only hold ND to a low number of early points, but also to keep ND's running game from controlling the ball and taking away possessions.

If DJ is only getting 2-3 possessions per half, it could be really difficult for him to find a rhythm against a strong defense. It also really increases the pressure to produce when he does get on the field.

If our defense can get off the field and force punts or turnovers early in drives, it will go a long way to helping DJ settle in and letting the Tigers get a big win on the road with a talented but inexperienced QB.

Nov 4, 2020, 11:23 AM

Agree! All around complementary football will give DJ more opportunities, which in turn will help to keep our offense off the field. Really intrigued to see how we defend 3rd and short, since ND has converted a ridiculous percentage of those. That's obviously a key to getting off the field and putting the ball in DJ's hands more often

Nov 4, 2020, 11:21 AM

If we get beaten because we get outplayed I understand that. What gets me is when we show up like last week and just do one silly thing after another almost like we are trying to give it to them. There is no reason for that and we need to clean that up. If we do I think we will be ok this week.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2020, 11:40 AM

I thought against BC that every possible thing that could go right for BC in the first half, did. There were multiple plays where our DB’s were in position to make a play on the ball, but they didn’t. That one catch in the endzone was very contested, but the BC player still made the play. There were also multiple plays were we got to the QB, half a step late, but he still made the play.

When the 1st half ended my thought was, BC can’t possibly continue to make play after play after play, by a gnats whisker........and they didn’t.

Haven’t seen anyone say it yet, so I’ll say it. BC’s QB is better than ND’s QB.

Nov 4, 2020, 11:24 AM

Most of the “experts” believe that this game is not that important since these two teams will likely meet again in December in a game that will determine the champion. I tend to agree with this. Especially with Trevor out for this game. The committee will certainly take that into account when they discuss the potential candidates for the championship series.

As for this game, I am anxious to see how the coaches design a game plan more suited for DJ5 (el cinco) . With an additional week to work with him there likely will be some new things added to the game plan. This will certainly be a great week for all the receivers to bring their A game. We haven’t seen that all year! As always, the pressure is on the offensive line to get the job done. You can bet the ranch that the Irish are going to bring pressure to the QB on every play. I’m betting that the game plan for the Tiger offense will be ready for that kind of game.

I’ve not watched ND very much this year but they don’t seem to be a team with a lot of options to move the ball. Perhaps some of you guys can comment on that. Book has never overly impressed me in the times I have seen him. Certainly two years ago in Texas he wasn’t very good.

This is the kind of game that always brings out the best in our team. I’m betting that we see a five star performance from Clemson Saturday night.

Nov 4, 2020, 11:33 AM

Think about ND as a slightly better coached Jawja with a decent QB. Really strong defense.... offense isn't explosive but effective in controlling possession. Their D isn't as good as Jawja IMO but it is a defensively minded team that avoids making costly mistakes and give their O a shot... but don't rely on the offense to win a game.

Nov 4, 2020, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Legitimate Results ]

You're right about ND's lack of options moving the ball. They lost 2 of their top 3 targets from last year to the NFL, and the other in injured. Their top targets now are 2 TEs. As far as passes 20+ yards downfield, they have only completed 8 all year. Book is a threat with his legs, but downfield passing doesn't seem to be much of a worry for us

Nov 4, 2020, 11:30 AM

I think this game will be a good preview of our 21-22 team. I think BC gave us a rough showing of that. The young guys can step up against adversity, now can they perform in a big game.

Maybe the best part - we don't show our TL hand until much later. I think we have been very conservative for the most part. The only thing we gave away was how good DJ can be!

Nov 4, 2020, 11:50 AM

It sure seems like Book has been at ND a really LONG time! LOL

Nov 4, 2020, 1:03 PM

and hasn't gotten any better. Is their QB coach that bad or did Book peak early?

Nov 4, 2020, 1:05 PM

I'm not sure we can judge him that easily because the play-making ability of his weapons since 2018 have taken a nosedive.

Nov 4, 2020, 1:10 PM

This will be an interesting game for sure. Actually, it will be more enjoyable to watch since we are now the underdog for the first regular season game in forever. If we play well but lose it isn't the end of the world but if we win we make a huge statement. Not much of a downside for us other than getting blown out, which seems unlikely.

UnderDogs ?????

Nov 5, 2020, 9:21 AM

Touchdown favorite at their house is not "underdogs"" -- Book reminds me of our own Kelly Bryant -- more legs than arm -- DJ will come through like the winner he is and take the fight out of the Irish,as our Tiger roll on to victory #8 ___ GO TIGERS !!

Replies: 13
| visibility 3,021
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic