Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Legit Bama Excuse "Or Not"?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Legit Bama Excuse "Or Not"?

Oct 14, 2020, 12:38 PM

Having a conversation with a defacto Bama supporter i.e. a Gamecocks fan that has to live vicariously through big bad Alabama!
This person suggested that Alabama's offense is so outstanding this year - "it isn't allowing the defense an opportunity to rest, therefore this is why they have been giving up so many yards"!

I ask the question my fellow Tigers fans: Legit or not?

Chad Morris years here certainly had me aggravated with us putting our defense right back on the field because of the quick tempo. Our D sometimes never had a chance to regroup and talk about how they wanted to address formations, etc. and were "at times" right back out there.
And yes, on occasion, the offense would score quick and that does put the defense back out. But, with a lead!
I told him - "i'm calling b.s."! I don't think this years Bama offense is as explosive as the Tua lead offense a bunch of people called the best offense in the history of college football. And that years defense was decent.
Maybe I am wrong. Would love to hear what some of you think on the subject.

Thanks!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Legit Bama Excuse "Or Not"?

Oct 14, 2020, 12:46 PM

I think you should talk to your dog instead.......chickens are really stupid.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dogs: friends. Chickens: Food.***

Oct 14, 2020, 2:54 PM

Oct 14, 2020, 12:46 PM

My response would have been, "why were they so tired at the beginning of the game when Ole Miss was walking the ball down the field?"

I would also ask him why Bama can't seem to get off the field to rest. I've never seen a defense get exhausted while forcing 3 and outs, no matter how fast their offense scores.

Our defenses when Morris was here were not great and that was made worse when they were put back on the field while still tired.

Chad's offense didn't make our defense worse though. We didn't have near the players then that we have no on the defensive side of the ball.

Oct 14, 2020, 1:45 PM

This is the correct response. Steel was let go by Dabo because his defense couldn't produce playing along side a big play offense. It's not that it makes your defense worse, it is that your defensive scheme isn't very good and it is compounded by staying on the field.

Venables' scheme keeps things in front of the defense and throws multiple formations at the QB. You have to be perfect to sustain drives and he picks out your weaknesses to force you into a mistake. Once you are behind the sticks he opens the defense up knowing that his players are better than yours. Even when you hit on a play it rarely gets away from them.

If Bama's defensive scheme doesn't match up they will eventually have a bad night on offense and get blown out.

null

It helped to further Dabo's use of 2nds and 3rds and his

Oct 14, 2020, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Legit Bama Excuse "Or Not"? ]

development of depth... It's even more important in 2020 with the hopefully avoidable possibilities of losing starters to Covid....

I'd bet Clemson is one of the youngest teams in the country.. That's evidenced by this year's small class of recruits...

"The best is yet to come."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2020, 12:52 PM

I saw a crawl at the bottom of the screen a few days ago
from a Bama player that he thought Kiffin had stolen their
signals. If Bama hasn't modified their signals since 2016 then
so be it.

Oct 14, 2020, 1:02 PM

We are running more hurry up this year because we have the depth on defense to keep everybody fresh.

I can’t imagine Alabama would want to score so fast their defense can’t catch its breath especially when they gave up as many points as last week unless it was by design to throw UGA off of their game plan this week.

Alabama scored on 11 of 13 possessions. Maybe nick felt his defense would get more stops?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Oct 14, 2020, 1:03 PM

That excuse could potentially hold some weight if they were giving up loads of yards and points late when the defense gets tired. However, Ole Miss scored a touchdown on their first 2 drives of the game, and on 3 out of their 4 first half drives.

Also, in the first half of that game Bama had the following offensive drives:

10 plays with the drive lasting 4:37
10 plays with the drive lasting 4:02
5 plays with the drive lasting 2:21
6 plays with the drive lasting 2:31
8 plays with the drive lasting 2:15

The last 3 drives didn't take up a ton of game clock, but overall that doesn't strike me as an offense putting its defense in a bad position, and certainly not something that explains giving up 48 points and 647 yards. Of course, the Bama power running game of a few years ago would control the clock a bit more which would lead to fewer possessions for the other team, but the change in offense isn't the only reason for Bama's defensive struggles.

Oct 14, 2020, 2:51 PM

That excuse could potentially hold some weight if they were giving up loads of yards and points late when the defense gets tired. However, Ole Miss scored a touchdown on their first 2 drives of the game, and on 3 out of their 4 first half drives.

Also, in the first half of that game Bama had the following offensive drives:

10 plays with the drive lasting 4:37
10 plays with the drive lasting 4:02
5 plays with the drive lasting 2:21
6 plays with the drive lasting 2:31
8 plays with the drive lasting 2:15

The last 3 drives didn't take up a ton of game clock, but overall that doesn't strike me as an offense putting its defense in a bad position, and certainly not something that explains giving up 48 points and 647 yards. Of course, the Bama power running game of a few years ago would control the clock a bit more which would lead to fewer possessions for the other team, but the change in offense isn't the only reason for Bama's defensive struggles.

If that's accurate, then Bama's defense was on the field less time in the first half than their offense was, as a coach that is all you can ask. Defense shouldn't have been tired.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The last 3 of the half were Ole Miss' D getting tired....***

Oct 14, 2020, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Legit Bama Excuse "Or Not"? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank You All. Great Responses!

Oct 14, 2020, 6:20 PM

I just want to say thanks for the great responses!

It is exactly as I thought.

There is potentially some chance - but so far this season. That "IS NOT" what is going on in large part with the "crying tireds" defense!

Appreciate it!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The last time we heard how great Bama was...

Oct 14, 2020, 1:17 PM

perhaps even the greatest team in college football history, Clemson waxed their a$$es 44 - 16 in the National Championship game.

Talk about a paper elephant.

This chicken**** rhetoric just is more of the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Oct 14, 2020, 1:38 PM

If Bama's defense was good enough to create 3 and out series it would not be tired. Defense is tired because they cannot stop the opposing offense. Just that simple.

Oct 14, 2020, 2:10 PM

They are appearing to be expolsive, but in reality the other teams defense is not good either. A good defensive player will already want to be a bully and steal the kids lunch money- tired or not!

yes, that is a legit excuse

Oct 14, 2020, 2:55 PM

for a coot

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2020, 3:16 PM

In years past that would have been the case but not today. Getting worn out by you guys, TAMU and OU taught CNS a hard lesson. Being tired isn't the excuse these days.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic