Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on OL and team in general....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Thoughts on OL and team in general....

Dec 6, 2020, 11:16 AM

I’m not saying we have some elite OL. I think we can all agree on that.

To me the biggest “issue” at the moment is the lack of big play receivers, allowing the defense to stack the box.

We had 3 WRs catch passes last night, and one of those was Spector who only caught one. The rest were TEs and one ball to ETN.

Herbie illustrated this beautifully on the deep ball to Powell for a TD. VPI had nine guys in the box. Our ONLY viable option was the one-on-one matchup with Powell down the field. On this play, we connected.

However, on a similar play earlier, Powell dropped the catch, and it wouldn’t have mattered anyway because of an OPI call.

On a play near the goal line, he kind of quit on his route (again pointed out by Herbie) giving Trevor not much of an option his way.

Back to the long TD play, with nine defenders against 5 OL and 1 RB, even with a blocking TE, you have at best 9 on 7. Even with an elite offensive line you don’t win that battle often.

Also, this post wasn’t to call out Powell at all. Just to point out that for these deep passes to work, or even shorter red-zone situation passes, a lot of things have to go right for them to be successful. The ball can be off by a yard in any direction and at best is an incompletion or at worst a turnover.

Bottom line....we get some receivers healthy, our offense takes on a whole new look and becomes the machine we thought we had at the beginning of the season. If not, we’re in for a dogfight in two weeks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Larson is the only chance to return and that’s doubtful.

Dec 6, 2020, 11:23 AM

I blame Elliot. He can only scheme to the edges. Got to get more creative. And against a loaded box, a run/read option is a disaster. Yet that’s where ETN gets most of his touches. Awful.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Larson is the only chance to return and that’s doubtful.

Dec 6, 2020, 11:28 AM

I have a feeling they will go over the top to TEs if teams try this in the playoffs. We always have a trick or two up our sleeves in the playoff. I just don’t know if it will be enough

Dec 6, 2020, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Larson is the only chance to return and that’s doubtful. ]

If you blame Coach Elliott do you not also give him credit for having the 10th ranked offense in the nation? All of that while replacing 4 starters on the OL and two games with a freshman QB!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team/_/view/offense/stat/total/table/passing/sort/yardsPerGame/dir/desc

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2020, 1:09 PM

And missing our #1 receiver for the entire season, and 2 of our other top 4 receivers for the majority of the season.

Dec 7, 2020, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Larson is the only chance to return and that’s doubtful. ]

I'm not sure how you could watch Saturday's game and be content with our play calling... Imagine thinking the inside run and tunnel screens for two yards every play will win us any games going forward. We are ranked 10th simply because even our third string players are more talented than the starters of other ACC teams.

Imagine an actual creative play caller with the talent we have... One can only imagine...

Dec 6, 2020, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Larson is the only chance to return and that’s doubtful. ]

Elliott should get more creative? Like what, stir up some more 6'3" wide receivers in his kitchen?

Excellent post and 100% spot on.

Dec 6, 2020, 5:51 PM [ in reply to Larson is the only chance to return and that’s doubtful. ]

Elliot needs to figure something out because the zone reads and bubble screens aren’t cutting it against a stacked box.

Re: Thoughts on OL and team in general....

Dec 6, 2020, 11:25 AM

I agree with this. However I will say that we do not have the O line that can push people around in the run game like we have in previous years, that may be the difference when we need a yard against the big boys. But pass blocking hasn’t missed a beat IMO.

Not to worry, we'll just run our Generational QB like a

Dec 6, 2020, 11:35 AM

rented mule if we get in short yardage situations

Re: Not to worry, we'll just run our Generational QB like a

Dec 6, 2020, 12:56 PM

Every time I see you post its something negative toward our program. Its obvious you hate Clemson, why are you here?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2020, 3:50 PM

I really don't think he hates Clemson.

He's just one of those people who would be absolutely miserable if he didn't have something to complain about.

Dec 6, 2020, 4:01 PM

At least he admits he is a coot.

Oh Good Lord***

Dec 6, 2020, 11:27 PM

Dec 6, 2020, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Not to worry, we'll just run our Generational QB like a ]

Cuz troll.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings***

Dec 6, 2020, 11:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Not to worry, we'll just run our Generational QB like a ]

Dec 6, 2020, 11:35 AM

I think the OL has done a very respectful job in pass protection all year. The runs between the tackles are what has been difficult. Without question the opposing teams are not going to allow ETN To run up the middle. Especially in the red zone. This is where TLs ability to run has greatly improved the offense. I am sure that this will be of major concern for the Irish going into the championship game.

Cornell Powell has had an amazing season thus far. Getting some of the other receivers back healthy will really help in getting the Irish defenders to respect the passing game on every play. You just can’t stack the box against the Tigers.
I am somewhat surprised that the tight end hasn’t figured into the offensive scheme a lot this year. As well as the Tigers are playing now they would be even better if they had a Leggett and a Renfro. I miss those guys and so do you.

Dec 6, 2020, 11:41 AM

Which wide receivers currently out due to injury are potentially available for the playoffs?

possibly Ladson***

Dec 6, 2020, 12:44 PM

Dec 6, 2020, 1:07 PM

I wouldn’t draw any conclusions from last night. Weather was a huge factor. Everybody moved slower, the ball was hard and slick and our WRs couldn’t make athletic catches like we’ve seen in warmer games. Va Tech basically shut down their offense in the second half after losing the first two QBs and the young guy did his best to scramble and extend plays.

The one thing that is absent from TEs offense is seam routes and double moves through the middle of the field. I think back to how Taj always seemed to have a receiver running down the seam so that we were still dangerous on 3rd and 10+. I miss that part of the route tree as we only seem to want to hit a go route on the sideline.

Dec 6, 2020, 4:14 PM

Tight end seams / post/ wheel routes and over the middle would serve us well... I would also like to see our tight ends flexed out in the slot and run fade/ back shoulder stuff. TL throws a great fade/ back shoulder ball. Both of our big tight ends have good speed. Bammer and the chrome dormers do a good job with this. 84 and 88 would shred defenses. For some reason, TE calls a TE play, the. Goes away from it... IDK..!?

Our O- Line appears to be PASS 1st. Once Defenses open up, ETN could run all day.

Dec 6, 2020, 11:50 PM

Absolutely. The back shoulder was a DeShaun-Big Mike specialty. I think Ross worked it pretty good with TL the first year too.

Dec 6, 2020, 4:07 PM

I don't think the O-line is as bad as some people here are saying. OTOH, they are not great either. That is going to be a problem in the playoffs. Bama, ND, & OSU have excellent lines on both sides of the ball. Championships are won in the trenches. Right now I am concerned that we are out-manned there.

If Skalski remains out or limited, I am also worried about our LBs. They are the key to our defense. We will have to see what BV can put together with the less experienced guys.

Good Lord , make a fist and pick a lane guy...It's not as

Dec 6, 2020, 11:31 PM

bad as "some people" say, and yet you are admittedly concerned we are out_manned and don't have the horses to make a title run...Which is it?

Dec 6, 2020, 5:02 PM

We would be fooling ourselves if we said we had a good O Line, it is probably the worst of any team in the top 6, and in the end, if we don't win it all it will be due to out inability to run for a 1st down on 3rd and 2. IMO...but we have Trevor and should feel good about that.

Why do we never run jet sweeps anymore? It seems Amari Rodgers

Dec 6, 2020, 6:05 PM

would be ideal in that!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2020, 6:13 PM

ummm stats yo. Best QB, Best RBs, Best WRUs, you need friends. Throw stats at you like I pretend you are my chinese prof. Long Dawn Chung

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic