Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kelly Bryant vs Trevor Lawrence by the numbers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Kelly Bryant vs Trevor Lawrence by the numbers

Oct 10, 2019, 8:17 AM

Some might find this surprising considering Bryant's numbers as a junior here were quite pedestrian but he's been a steady force at QB for Mizzou this year:

https://gasnsports.com/kelly-bryant-vs-trevor-lawrence-2019-comparison/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kelly Bryant vs Trevor Lawrence by the numbers

Oct 10, 2019, 8:22 AM

They forgot records in CFP games

My first thought too!***

Oct 10, 2019, 8:55 AM

I'm not going to read that, I can already tell that they are

Oct 10, 2019, 8:22 AM

not going to make even a remotely fair comparison between the two QBs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Not surprising at all...

Oct 10, 2019, 8:23 AM

TL isn't having the year most of us expected. Can it change? Sure, but whether it be Trevor, playcalling, Line play, RB play, or all of the above this offense has not clicked or got in a rhythm in ANY game this year............I don't care what the numbers say.

Hopefully this changes

Oct 10, 2019, 8:32 AM

KB is having a great year and playing really well; TL has not played is best. The stats don't always tell the complete story. In my opinion, if we asked any coach who he would pick as a QB over the two - for the next game - the unanimous choice would be TL.

Oct 10, 2019, 8:40 AM

KB is a very good to great QB.... TL is a transcendent QB.

KB is good enough that if you had a good D, you will win a lot of games. He is smart with the ball (when there isn't any scoring pressure). But, he does not have the skillset to win a game if your D keeps giving up 60yd+ rushing touchdown and when he has to play from behind, he becomes a (potential) liability. He spotted Bama 14 points in the CFP and he spotted Wyoming two gifts too. I am curious as if Chase Brice, if swapped in for KB in 2017 (and given Cole Stoudt level of prep) could have beaten Bama. I just think that Saban and Co have completely solved that type of QB player so it is a big liability if your season goal is to win a national championship.

I'm not reading the link either. These comparison's rely on

Oct 10, 2019, 8:53 AM

the false narrative that KB was somehow kicked to the curb by Clemson, instead of the reality, which is that he was told he wouldn't be starting one game after a spectacular performance by a kid that everyone in the media tells us should just wait for the NFL to select him first overall when he's eligible, and who won us a national championship by absolutely dismantling Notre Dame and "The Greatest College Football Team of All Time"...and who has, by the way, not YET lost a single game as a college QB.

Run-On Sentence Of Truth!

null

Football: The Ultimate Team Sport

Oct 10, 2019, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant vs Trevor Lawrence by the numbers ]

This is such an unfair comparison. I get it though. It proves nothing about anything really. And, I am a KB2 fan for certain. I never felt he was done wrong and I hate some of the comments he made as he left - but otherwise I think the kid is awesome! I wish him nothing but the best!
But, he is not the QB you want on your roster if you will be facing a defense that will require pin point accuracy down field. He isn't! Bubble screens and hitches and slants he can do that in his sleep(KB) but he can't throw it down field with enough consistency to threaten a defense! He can't get the safeties out the box. TL16 can make you pay for having them in the box.

If KB is all Mizzou has then it makes sense his numbers out shine TL16. Clemson has an offense with play makers all around and a system where everybody plays. So, he won't always get to play in the 4th qtr to pad stats.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2019, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant vs Trevor Lawrence by the numbers ]

I think just having Tee Higgins in that game would've been HUGE. He went out early with an injury, and it just seemed like we didn't have any big-time receivers who could step up and challenge the Bama secondary (think 50-50 jump balls haha and back shoulder throws). Losing him allowed Bama to shut down the smaller Renfrow, Ray Ray, and Amari, and Cain wasn't able to step up and make the big plays when we needed them.

KB was a better passer than many here gave him credit for. No, he was not DW4, or TL16, or TB10, but he didn't suck.

To me, his biggest problem was not really feeling the pocket, and tucking the ball too quickly, or taking the sack (rather than buying more time by stepping up in the pocket, or rolling out while keeping his eyes downfield).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ah, but those statistics do not take into account that

Oct 10, 2019, 8:49 AM

Mizzzou has been playing in the SEC Cupcake Zone in the early part of their season. And one of those supposed cupcakes beat them. Their two "big" wins are over West Virginia and the Coots, two teams that anyone else with a pulse has also beaten. Their first real game is four games out (Georgia), unless anyone really thinks that Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky should be really tough tests.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2019, 8:50 AM

The difference between KB and TL is simple: you can win WITH KB and you can win BECAUSE of TL.

Oct 10, 2019, 8:50 AM

TL Natty numbers: One for one.

KB natty numbers: Zero for three.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They left out one important stat in their table:

Oct 10, 2019, 9:30 AM

plays played.

It is OBVIOUS

Oct 10, 2019, 9:34 AM

That Clemson has held back their offense thus far. Remember, TL only played 1 QTR vs Charlotte.

KB has been throwing for his life to get those 4 W's.

Oct 10, 2019, 9:49 AM

I see the post and agree KB is having a good season. However, I think the kicker for the coaching staff was what the team was doing in those first 4 games when they were splitting times. Im not gonna look it up again, but I posted last season when this was going on. On TL16 led drives our offense had like 12 scores in the first 4 games vs 5 or 6 in KB led drives. It wasn't about who had the better numbers it was about what each player opened up for our offense.

Not a popular opinion in todays society but team > I

Oct 10, 2019, 10:19 AM

The numbers really can't be compared. For instance, Hurts is putting up much bigger numbers than Tua, but weve literally seen the head to head and no one argues Hurts is a better qb. System, playcalling, defenses, etc make the difference a lot of the time. Kelly may have better numbers, but what's the point of comparing? A true freshmen beat a junior out in the third game of the year. There is no comparison.

And KB still can't hit...

Oct 10, 2019, 11:17 AM

...the broad side of a barn consistently beyond 10 yards.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did Maria Taylor write this article?

Oct 10, 2019, 5:10 PM

Asking for a friend...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2019, 5:16 PM

We'd be 4-1 at best if KB was our QB...NO WAY he beats UNC

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic