Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just watched the 1978 Clemson-Carolina game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Just watched the 1978 Clemson-Carolina game

Jan 31, 2018, 9:26 PM

on YouTube and had forgotten just how good Jim Phillips was. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FynmbzQY_EE

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just watched the 1978 Clemson-Carolina game

Jan 31, 2018, 10:24 PM

I watched most of it to. Thanks for posting. My dad was there at that game but not doing well tonight. Say a prayer for him if you will! His name is Norman. Thanks

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2018, 10:30 PM

Best wishes to Norman!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2018, 10:39 PM

Definitely, best wishes to Norman, and you young fella. Was at that game with my mom and dad, brothers, friends. Lost all but a couple since. We lived for Clemson sports and it sounds like you’ve done the same with your dad. Enjoy every minute of it. When they’re just memories, you’ll realize just how special they really were. God Bless and take care of him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a great post and so true!! I love Clemson sports and

Feb 2, 2018, 7:43 AM

Have ever since I was 10 years old or so. Many great memories!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2018, 10:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Just watched the 1978 Clemson-Carolina game ]

The best to Norman.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our prayers are with your dad and your family.***

Feb 2, 2018, 5:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Just watched the 1978 Clemson-Carolina game ]

Prayers sent to Norman.***

Feb 1, 2018, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Just watched the 1978 Clemson-Carolina game ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2018, 3:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Just watched the 1978 Clemson-Carolina game ]

Best wishes and prayers to your Dad

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Praying for your dad rivercat! God bless him and the family!

Feb 2, 2018, 7:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Just watched the 1978 Clemson-Carolina game ]

That was.a great game to attend

Jan 31, 2018, 10:26 PM

Great memories, thanks. Phillips, #4 SF, and Lester Brown "The Rubber Duck"!

Jan 31, 2018, 10:59 PM

Lester has always been the most underrated Tiger back.

I remember Lester from '79-'80

Feb 1, 2018, 11:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Just watched the 1978 Clemson-Carolina game ]

We both had girlfriends in Lever and would walk down stairwell when young men were allowed in building ... He was a senior and I was a frosh. Good memories.

Jan 31, 2018, 10:30 PM

Ain’t none any better. Man there were some tough old boys on that team. Still think that team returned us to the glory days and made Clemson relevant again.

We continue to grow and the coots continue to regress. Wow, good times!!!!! Has it really been 40 years...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

21 offensive points and only one pass attempt in 1sr Quarter

Feb 1, 2018, 7:44 PM

That was one powerful running attack!

So when the Tigers made their entrance

Feb 2, 2018, 7:06 AM

...somebody done parked their pickup truck at the bottom of The Hill. Musta been Danny, little did he know he was destined to become head coach within the week. ;)

Jan 31, 2018, 11:00 PM

Loved being in the booth with Jim.

Notice how they charged down the hill that day

Feb 1, 2018, 3:08 AM

Thanks for posting . Great times ! It's not a biggie but it would be great if they went back to "running" down the hill.

Was in the south stands with friends for that game and

Feb 1, 2018, 4:36 AM

seems unreal that it was almost 40 years ago.

A few years later, one of the refs at that game, became a close friend and neighbor when I had a vacation home in the N.C. mountains.

I agree. I had forgotten what it is like to listen to a

Feb 1, 2018, 6:48 AM

great call of a football game. Jim Phillips was the best I've ever heard. So smooth, accurate, free of corny distracting comments. It was all football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All for one and one for all.

Feb 1, 2018, 6:50 AM

Thanks for posting that!! Brought back some great memories!! I was a Junior at Clemson at the time. I brought my wife-to-be to that game. She had bought a new dress for the occasion. Our seats were in the "new" South upper deck. I believe this may have been the first game that it was open.

Well, we got up to our seats and there was no aluminum bleachers installed yet!! Well, needless to say, sitting on concrete was not the most comfortable for us, but a convincing Clemson victory and celebrating with that awesome Senior class of Fuller, Brown, Clark, Scott, etc. made it all worthwhile!!

On a side note, my season tickets for the 1982 season where in the North upper deck, the first season that it was open. Fortunately, the aluminum bleachers were installed for the first game, which I think may have been the Georgia game that ended in a tie. I wonder how many other people sat in both Upper decks on their respective openings!!

North Upper. We were there at the opening

Feb 1, 2018, 8:25 AM

And we still sit in the same seats today.

Re: North Upper. We were there at the opening

Feb 1, 2018, 9:27 AM

Don't you mean South (home) side? I had Tix in K North but they gave the coots that section and we sat in new upper deck!

Cute scene of the Tiger throwing chicken feed on the field

Feb 1, 2018, 9:07 AM

during warmups.

I got Steve Fuller's chinstrap as he came off the field

Feb 1, 2018, 1:23 PM

We were sitting in the endzone that is now their student section. I remember being almost in tears as we blew a 24-0 lead. On the catch, I had to run under the stands to the concession stand so I could see replay on TV. What a memory.

Re: I got Steve Fuller's chinstrap as he came off the field***

Feb 1, 2018, 1:24 PM

I was thinking '77 game. ****

Feb 1, 2018, 1:25 PM

Re: Cute scene of the Tiger throwing chicken feed on the field

Feb 1, 2018, 8:17 PM [ in reply to Cute scene of the Tiger throwing chicken feed on the field ]

Zack mills was the tiger

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there...15 years old sitting on the Hill.***

Feb 1, 2018, 9:27 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Who was calling the game along with Jim?***

Feb 1, 2018, 10:16 AM

Re: Who was calling the game along with Jim?***

Feb 1, 2018, 12:29 PM

I'll tell if you are not going to be mean to me.

Message was edited by: leo®

Wow, you are way behind.

Feb 1, 2018, 12:36 PM

Don’t fast forward through 1981 or 2016.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

I was a freshman in 1978.

Feb 1, 2018, 1:05 PM

Listening the Jim is like visiting with on old friend again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SCAR's middle guard is named Bill Janus. Any relation to

Feb 1, 2018, 1:18 PM

Hugh?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: SCAR's middle guard is named Bill Janus. Any relation to***

Feb 1, 2018, 1:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: SCAR's middle guard is named Bill Janus. Any relation to

Feb 1, 2018, 1:24 PM [ in reply to SCAR's middle guard is named Bill Janus. Any relation to ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Feb 1, 2018, 8:24 PM

I was on the field that day. My junior year. Great memories!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2018, 8:57 PM

I was in the sideline with Lester, Marvin Sims, and Fuller the last
5 minutes of the game. Oh so sweet.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2018, 9:58 PM

That would be ‘Duck’ and ‘TipeeDee’.

In the last couple of minutes

Feb 1, 2018, 11:34 PM

the game was stopped numerous times by timeouts to let the Seniors be recognized by the crowd ... no complaining from Carolina afterward that I know of about being "disrespected" ... my how times have changed. What an awesome day that was, to have the game end in the long shadows of the late afternoon.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic