Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: So, you want to be play caller?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 63
| visibility 1

New Story: So, you want to be play caller?

Oct 31, 2014, 11:24 PM

So, you want to be play caller?

Every fan and every sports writer thinks that they can call plays better than the guys who get paid. I asked offensive coordinator Chad Morris about what it takes a few weeks ago, and he said that becoming a good play caller doesn't happen overnight. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We pay this guy 1.5 millions dollars to call......

Oct 31, 2014, 11:40 PM

A bubble screen on 3rd and 12....just sayin.....

Re: We pay this guy 1.5 millions dollars to call......

Nov 1, 2014, 6:04 AM

We do ? I don't have a million point five , so I just shut it and let the guy call his plays. He has been really successful at Clemson , so I think that you guys who are paying him should just shut it with me .
Enjoy the ride you rich bastads.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

well done David Hood Steele. Well done.

Nov 1, 2014, 11:42 AM [ in reply to We pay this guy 1.5 millions dollars to call...... ]

Nice high level view of The Chads concepts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We pay this guy 1.5 millions dollars to call......

Nov 1, 2014, 11:55 AM [ in reply to We pay this guy 1.5 millions dollars to call...... ]

Chad isn't YOUR offensive Coordinator, Coot!!

He's ours!!

Go Tigers!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: So, you want to be play caller?

Oct 31, 2014, 11:42 PM

So that's why it looks like we have 4 different run plays.

Oct 31, 2014, 11:43 PM

Maybe it's my NCAA14 coaches trophy just speaking to me, but why is it in the HUNH offense the first play success\failure determine the pace of the next series of plays? It seems to me if you fail on one play ,you try to catch the defense off guard on the next play by speeding things up. Yes there's something to a rhythm, but why go out of your pace just because you lost 1 yard on a play as opposed to gaining 6 yards?

Oct 31, 2014, 11:50 PM

purpose of this article?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: So, you want to be play caller? ^^^

Oct 31, 2014, 11:52 PM

D hood basically trying to shut all the fans up about The Chads play calling sometimes.

You really think they would shut up?***

Oct 31, 2014, 11:54 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You really think they would shut up?***

Oct 31, 2014, 11:57 PM

Nope!

I've seen D Hood question Morris' play calling a time or two

Nov 1, 2014, 12:03 AM

This season though, I'd hate to be in Morris'
shoes. We had a #### poor, thin OL to start with, and now it's injury depleted as well. Throw in a rubber armed QB with a bum shoulder whose confidence has been shattered behind that line, and no wonder nothing seems to work

"We had a #### poor, thin OL to start with, and now it's

Nov 1, 2014, 8:39 AM

injury depleted as well."

So why, in Dabo's 6th full year, Morris' 4th year, and Caldwell's 4th year, did we have a "#### poor, thin OL to start with..."? Shaq Anthony transferred, but what else you got?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

from the top rope with facts early***

Nov 1, 2014, 8:49 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: "We had a #### poor, thin OL to start with, and now it's

Nov 1, 2014, 10:47 AM [ in reply to "We had a #### poor, thin OL to start with, and now it's ]

Something about Gifford Timothy, who was clearly an elite lineman before injury.

Winning games in spite of all the injuries, suspensions and

Nov 1, 2014, 12:03 PM [ in reply to "We had a #### poor, thin OL to start with, and now it's ]

defections would indicated that our OL is not "thin" ... it's actually deep and well cross-trained.

Our OL players might not be the most talented, but we have a lot of them and they have been able to move around from position to position as the need has arisen.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

End of career injuries prior years.***

Nov 1, 2014, 3:04 PM [ in reply to "We had a #### poor, thin OL to start with, and now it's ]

Re: I've seen D Hood question Morris' play calling a time or two

Nov 1, 2014, 9:21 AM [ in reply to I've seen D Hood question Morris' play calling a time or two ]

The purpose of the story is to enlighten you Monday-morning quarterback-video geek complainers out there. You're the same ones that cheered when we would put 50-60 on the board the last couple years. Different personnel and different times. He's a very good play caller. Our young guys need time to "get it".
There are times too that I don't like the play-calling. But the difference between me and you video geeks is that -just like with any profession- we have to leave it to the experts: the ones who have devoted their livelihood to it and, above all, know 1000X more than we do.

these guys been "young" for 4 years?

Nov 1, 2014, 9:41 AM

37th running the ball is the highest we've been under CM (2 years ago)

52nd last year with TB, who was leaned on as the running games answer.

We 'll finish in the 80-90 's this year.

There's a reason we ain't beating FSU and SCU lately.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: I've seen D Hood question Morris' play calling a time or two

Nov 1, 2014, 10:08 AM [ in reply to I've seen D Hood question Morris' play calling a time or two ]

That is a pretty good summary. Hard to win Talladega on a flat tire.

3.5 years is a long time to have a flat tire***

Nov 1, 2014, 10:10 AM

Right.***

Nov 1, 2014, 12:06 AM [ in reply to Re: You really think they would shut up?*** ]

Re: Right.***

Nov 1, 2014, 11:09 AM

Now we know there are lots of guys that could replace Chad for a lot less cash. Might get some of them for $ 10K or less

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1.5 Million huh ?!?!!?

Nov 1, 2014, 12:29 AM

That's not bad money to call 11 regular season games. He hasn't called a game against USuC since he has been here.

I will take that 136,363.64 per game (bowl games not included here)

Re: 1.5 Million huh ?!?!!?

Nov 1, 2014, 6:46 AM

Not true, he called a very good game against USC last year but we turned the ball over 6 times and lost the game. Look at the game statistics minus the turnovers and you will see we prevailed, then add back in the turnovers and we lose the game.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 1st quarter pass by Sammy was a bonehead call.***

Nov 1, 2014, 12:02 PM

Nov 1, 2014, 10:30 AM [ in reply to 1.5 Million huh ?!?!!? ]

Do you really think that's all the coaches do,call 11 games. Dude their job is year long. On the road recruiting. Always preparing for practices, training etc. it goes far beyond the 11 game season.

Nov 1, 2014, 2:40 PM

I think you totally missed the point here. We play 12 games dude lol y point is we can't score and/or beat SCAR. lol

Nov 1, 2014, 5:05 AM

When someone watching the game has never played any
football knows the play before the ball is snapped
time for an adjustment

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just want to beat the coots

Nov 1, 2014, 5:48 AM

You don't have to pay me either

I just want to beat the coots

Nov 1, 2014, 5:48 AM

You don't have to pay me either

RE being a good play caller doesn't happen overnight

Nov 1, 2014, 5:54 AM

Hasn't happened to MO yet! MO gotta go if we are ever going to beat the Coots

I think the fact that Stoudt can't run the zone read hurts

Nov 1, 2014, 7:19 AM

our options on offense and limits the play calling. I remember in the BC game, Stoudt handed it off when he should have kept it and the announcers actually thought it was a busted play. I think it was the next possession that BC ran it and the RB got a big gain and they were talking about how brilliant the play is. In any case, Stoudt is not a threat to run and that really limits our offense. Think about how many first downs Tajh used to get with his feet. Also we seem to be missing a real threat at TE for making those 10-yard completions.

I get just as frustrated as everyone else with all of the bubble screens. It feels like Rob Spence 2.0. But until Watson gets back, I'm not sure it's going to change much.

I do not understand him putting Cole in Shotgun in red zone

Nov 1, 2014, 7:36 AM

it keeps failing

Re: I do not understand him putting Cole in Shotgun in red zone

Nov 1, 2014, 8:41 AM

You're 'right'...YOU don't understand.

Nov 1, 2014, 7:43 AM

We're back to Clemson football of the late 80s and early 90s - almost. We used to have great defenses and an offense that consisted of mostly running the ball with a long pass here and there. Difference is - we just pay the Coaches more. Not a bad gig if you can get it - inflation has been nice to CFB coaches. I don't care what kind of play you run, if that Offensive Line doesn't block some &^%$ body - we're going nowhere. And if we feel like we need Deshaun Watson to beat this year's Wake Forest team - we're crazy. We need him healthy for at least two games after the Wake game.

DW still needs the experience of playing in actual games so

Nov 1, 2014, 7:48 AM

he can be ready for next season

Yep, we need Cole to have good game and keep Dejuan off

Nov 1, 2014, 7:49 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: So, you want to be play caller? ]

the field as much as possible, even if Watson is starting again at Ga. Tech. He still needs to bulk up more to prevent injuries. It seems to me that Cole needs a different game plan for Cole - more ball control, under center more (especially in red zone), more running with only occasional pass down the field.

"Chad" needs a different game plan for Cole***

Nov 1, 2014, 7:50 AM

Wow, that article really brought out the Tnet "experts"

Nov 1, 2014, 7:57 AM

I'm sorry, having a video game trophy does not qualify you as an expert.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Well we could do just as Good as Mo has against the Spur

Nov 1, 2014, 8:02 AM

in the past . FSU and GA this year

Called rational thinking or just plain ol' common sense!***

Nov 1, 2014, 8:09 AM [ in reply to Wow, that article really brought out the Tnet "experts" ]

if he basically has less than 20 plays

Nov 1, 2014, 8:26 AM

Why did it take 2 years to get 60% of his playbook installed?

Or was he the young guy with the thick playbook when he got here and suddenly this year he is older and wiser?

This guy needs to run for office - he's got the double speak down pat.

He brings less than 20 plays into each week.

Nov 1, 2014, 12:34 PM

He didn't say they were the same 20 plays as the week before. He may have 100 plays in his playbook and picks which 20 to use that week based on matchups.

Nov 1, 2014, 8:31 AM

There is not one poster on Tnet who knows anything about calling plays. You guys are the WORST arm chair QBs I've ever heard....and truth is, I think these posts are a bunch of coots chiming-in.

Just for the record, I remember when the coots beat us 20-7 (in Columbia) back in the 80s and Danny Ford said after the game "we only brought 8 plays to the game".

You guys don't know JACK ! SHUT UP !

Orb, you are only 49% - you are not even half in - COOT!***

Nov 1, 2014, 8:37 AM

Re: Orb, you are only 49% - you are not even half in - COOT!***

Nov 1, 2014, 8:39 AM

Missed again......Clemson, class of 1074 (August grad).

Re: Orb, you are only 49% - you are not even half in - COOT!***

Nov 1, 2014, 8:44 AM

Sorry......that would be Class of 1974.

I think Morris is a very good play caller ... my issue is

Nov 1, 2014, 8:57 AM

lack of identity and inability to run the ball consistently after 3.5 years

Re: I think Morris is a very good play caller ... my issue is

Nov 1, 2014, 9:15 AM

When your bad up front and i only called little league football it is tough calling plays. I brought about 20 or 30 plays to every game. Some we never used because of oline or qb etc. However, just my 2 cents when coaches thought they had me schemed I would use formations we rarely ran to get my playmakers the ball. The key was showing the defense different formations to get them thinking more. Its very easy getting comfortable calling the same plays. I always wanted to be ahead of the defense and having the 9 year old State Champion in South Carolina in track in your house doesn't hurt either.Just my 2 cents.

It's really easy...

Nov 1, 2014, 9:20 AM

I just compare what I see in him and other teams in the same situations. They call better plays than he does. They are more creative, at least some of them. His in-game situational play calling is pretty vanilla. With a much better quarterback making escapes and reads, Chad all of a sudden will look better.

I like Chad, and I think he's a good play caller in general

Nov 1, 2014, 9:47 AM

but there's no excuse for not being able to run the ball between the tackles after 3.5 years. Injuries? Sure. But haven't been able to do it for 3.5, even with a 240lb QB getting 10-15 carries a game.

Ebb body be itching about 15 plays. I remember they

Nov 1, 2014, 10:11 AM

used to brag about how many plays Rob Spence had: "he's an offensive jean yus!" That turned out pretty well for him....bubble screen every other play, then a hand off to a back who tried to zone read and stood there for a couple of seconds.
I am frustrated with what looks like the same play over and over, and will do it for 1/2 of what the Chad takes home (especially if I can memorize 15 plays...). That said, I trust him and believe that he can get the job done.

We're going to be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro

In Chad I trust.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If David was trying to restore our confidence in Chad's

Nov 1, 2014, 10:13 AM

play calling, I think he may have come up a little short - no pun intended.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If David was trying to restore our confidence in Chad's

Nov 1, 2014, 10:19 AM

Agree. He needs to reevaluate some things in the off season. Maybe go spend sometime with the head coach at Miss State , he maybe in Florida though. Get more creative.

Way to pick on video gamers again.

Nov 1, 2014, 10:49 AM

Now I've never played college football or ever been a football coach but this video game bashing is ridiculous.

I played college soccer (I know, iknow) and honestly I first learned how to play the game by playing FIFA. I learned the rules, the gameflow, and what the positions responsibilities were.

Now of course that, with 6 hours of real practice a day outside, helped develop me into a college level player.

But think about it, the Madden and FIFA franchise is worth billions and is only getting more popular. They have people on staff that watch film and research all day to develop accurate player stats, abilities, and yes even accurate play calls!

I have played college football games over many years and I can honestly say that I have ran many of the same plays Morris has when I play as Clemson. NCAA had the WR screen and had the Boyd up the middle jumbo package. Just like we still run. All from the exact formations that we run.

Now does this mean you can be a play caller? No. I have often been that fan much like other posters that have called a play before the hike. However I think we all admit that play calling in the moment with all the moving parts going at the same time takes a lot of practice.

So can video gamers be offensive coordinators, maybe with real life practice.

Do fans who play or watch this team know the plays? Yes.

Is that a problem.....well as long as we aren't being lied to about 3 and out Stoudt being better than Watson, I think we are ok.

Re: Way to pick on video gamers again.

Nov 1, 2014, 1:39 PM

it's a cop out defense mechanism against criticism

I guess we were all idiots for wondering why D.W. didn't start the first few games too

Politics...all it is

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2014, 11:11 AM

Chad Morris forgot to tell them that he only uses 4 plays over and over 1 screen pass left 2 screen pass right 3 shotgun run up the middle for running back 4 shotgun run up the middle for qb brilliant offensive mind.oh wait a minute if he really wants to confuse a defense he will call a bubble screen WOW! Its starting to look like he won't get a head coaching job and we will be stuck with him until his contract runs out woo hoo

Nov 1, 2014, 11:26 AM

Here is what I like about Morris: Without a doubt he jump started our o upon his arrival. And we're winning games. Sometimes ugly, but I'll take an ugly win over an ugly loss every game. We had a lot of ugly losses prior to his arrival. He utilizes play makers as well as anyone. His bubble screens often work. They decimated Louiseville in the 4th. Spencer's screens didn't due to poor blocking. Our TE's and WR's block much better under him. Maybe not of late but he can be very creative. Bottom line is...we're winning more games under him.

What I don't like: the running game stinks and has since he come. Im old school and just like running but if we can win without, so be it. He puts up mega points, or has, against mediocre teams. But not against SEC like D's. And I think that goes back to the poor running. He's great at preparing b/c we start most games well but his 2nd half adjustments against solid opponents is usually poor. Although lately I've been encouraged with his 2nd halves.

Bottom line: we're better off with him. We've won more with him than prior to him. Most of us knew this would be a transition year. If everyone posting would admit, we all thought going into the season a 9/3 ending would be reasonable considering all the playmakers we lost. Had we known all the injuries coming most of us would've thought a 7/5 season would be good. Morris has done an exceptional job amidst all the turmoil. And with the o line recruits coming, it will get better. This coaching staff is showing they are committed to improving the running game. And I believe they will. This is s young staff and they're learning. I believe CU football is on the right track and I believe Morris will improve his weaknesses. If he doesn't I'll be first to say lets make a change. Sorry for the long post.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2014, 1:42 PM

he's good...NFL talent has helped

he's certainly not the all world offensive genius that he was made out to be over the last few years

he's human and a good/great O.C.

he's NOT something we can't replace and still move the football (like we all would have thought a couple seasons ago)

Nov 1, 2014, 1:27 PM

Just as I posted last week and the week before. The chad only has 4 plays per game

Mastering that 3" run from the Shotgun is a b1tch!

Nov 1, 2014, 7:58 PM

Most coaches would not even attempt it. But Chad keeps on plugging.

But in all seriousness, he is better than most OC's and continues to master his craft at a premium pay grade. He seems to overthink at times - Not sure that puts him the same intellectual category as aeropropulsion engrs or neurosurgeons.

Would anyone prefer he was on the other

Nov 2, 2014, 3:46 AM

teams sideline? Who would we get to replace him? We're young on O this year, and deep with experience on D. We'll be good on O again next year, but IMHO take a step back on D. You don't lose Grady, Vic, Barnes, ect, and not expect to be as good. I believe we can be good on D (especially if a certain DL player doesn't leave early) along with Alexander, Boulware, Kearse,....I'm just saying, you can't lose the talent we did on O last year, especially the starting QB and Sammy without some expected drop off. I haven't agreed with some of his calls this year, but in no way do I believe I could do his job, much less better than he does. I believe I remember many, myself included, on Tnet were worried about losing him to a HC job last year.

dont blast the gamer ..

Nov 2, 2014, 4:12 AM

when i am playing madden and need one yard i line up in the I and give to the fb or rb straight ahead.works like a charm..now a game defense isnt like lining up in real life.but to put out the hur durr just because you play good on a video game doesnt mean you can call plays in real life..i have never claimed to be a great oc play caller.but many of his bad play calls are all common sense..calling 5 yard routs when we need 10 and so on

Replies: 63
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic