Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Clemson plays football in front of fans as planned
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 91
| visibility 1

If Clemson plays football in front of fans as planned

Aug 20, 2020, 8:01 PM

they will be responsible for spreading Covid 19 to thousands and thousands of people in SC and the surrounding area.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice pulse, bro.***

Aug 20, 2020, 8:24 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nice pulse, bro.***

Aug 21, 2020, 9:25 AM

Insightful comment, bro.

You are responsible for yourself unless you are one of these grown children

Aug 22, 2020, 7:44 AM

who wants someone else to take care of you. Nobody will force you to go to a football game. Nobody even forces you to go out in public. You can have everything you need delivered to you. You can quit your job and hold your hand out to the government if you choose just don’t complain to me when you don’t have enough. The virus is here. You make your own choices as far as where to go, who to be around and how close you will be to them. People weigh risks in life and make their choices unless you are a child who wants someone else to do it for you. CLEMSON will be no more responsible for spreading the virus than the grocery stores or the Home Depot that everyone crammed into during the shutdown. Sorry bro but I do not agree with you on this at all.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You are responsible for yourself unless you are one of these grown children

Aug 22, 2020, 7:58 AM

Smackdown,

In a human society, we have some responsibilities to each other. There are traffic rules to help limit your recklessness to protect me.

Freedom is an important concept in America, but as Oliver Wendell Holmes put it, "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins."

It does not take a visionary to see that, because of Clemson's decision to play football (with fans), tens of thousands of people will interact - many in ways that are unsafe. Some of those fans will spread the virus back home - and at work - and in grocery stores.

The negligence of sensible public health regulations will have consequences - and not just for the people who attend the ball games. How big a sacrifice would it be to keep everyone home to watch on TV ??

Re: You are responsible for yourself unless you are one of these grown children

Aug 22, 2020, 8:30 AM

I agree with some of what you say but I do not agree with the idea that “Clemson is responsible” for all of the reasons I stated above. If Clemson is responsible for virus spread then every store, every employer and anyone who leaves their house to interact with anyone outside of their household for any reason other than things like medical care etc. is responsible for the virus spread. Clemson is no more responsible for the virus spread than beaches, stores or anything else that is open to the public. It’s a virus not a fist to the face. Going out in public while there is a virus going around cannot be equated to things like driving under the influence or assault. If you don’t feel safe you are responsible for your amount of interaction with people.

Message was edited by: Prove me wrong

Re: If Clemson plays football in front of fans as planned

Aug 20, 2020, 8:24 PM

you mean that bug that over 99% of people that get it recover just fine. that bug

Aug 20, 2020, 8:52 PM

I imagine about as many people will visit a large
Walmart on a Saturday as will attend a Clemson game, reportedly 23,000. Clemson will only have 6 home games.
Walmart will be open every Saturday and if you multiply by the number of Walmarts in the state it favors Walmart
by an overwhelming number of people shopping at Walmarts across the state.

And if they attend a game in the fresh air

Aug 20, 2020, 10:17 PM

of the Blue Ridge it will keep them out of the enclosed space of Walmarts.

If real Martians ever met up with Walmartians, they would

Aug 21, 2020, 10:48 AM

be askeert to death.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2020, 8:54 PM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson plays football in front of fans as planned ]

You need to take remedial math

Cases which had an outcome: 3,265,914

Recovered / Discharged 3,088,520 (95%)

Deaths 177,394 (5%)

Aug 21, 2020, 10:12 AM

The CDC says that somewhere between 10x and 20x the number of confirmed cases actually have been infected. You are playing games with Case Fatality Rate vs the Infection Fatality Rate. The point was made about IFR and you try to insult using CFR. The CDC's best estimate is an IFR of around 0.65% and that may be high.

Tell 'em u6c coot

Aug 20, 2020, 9:01 PM

Re: Tell 'em u6c coot

Aug 21, 2020, 9:36 AM

I am glad that I don't live in your reality - where anyone who disagrees with you is the enemy and gets dismissed with disparagement - and absolutely no consideration of the reasoning of his position.

Your reality

Aug 21, 2020, 10:11 AM

Ain't reality at all. You live in la la land.

Re: Your reality

Aug 21, 2020, 8:11 PM

I am looking at the numbers (from the experts) in SC.

My original statement stands - Playing football will infect thousands more people.

Again

Aug 22, 2020, 2:29 PM

Do you go to Walmart? How many people per day go to Walmart.

Is Walmart infecting thousands of people?

Your statement doesn't stand.

Show us REASON in your REASONING and THEN maybe

Aug 21, 2020, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Tell 'em u6c coot ]

we can talk.

What's your response to the Wal-Mart comparison above ?

Are you posting on the Wal-Mart boards about all the spreading they are OBVIOUSLY contributing to ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Show us REASON in your REASONING and THEN maybe

Aug 21, 2020, 8:34 PM

Rocky,

Well, first of all, I am not sure of the original assumption. It is surprisingly difficult to get data on the number of people who enter a given Walmart on a given day. The only reliable estimate I could find was from the Institute of Transportation Engineers - an estimate of 10,000 per 24 hour period. That is 417 per hour.

Obviously, there are peak times when more than 417 people are in the store at one time. Let's double it and round up to 900 (that is the number Walmart has set their Covid restrictions at). This in contrast to the 25,000 to 50,000 that will be congregating for the 3 - 5 hours of the Clemson football game.

Finally, there is the issue of necessity. People NEED to buy certain items from a store to function day to day. For better or for worse, for many people that store is Walmart. Nobody NEEDS to go to a Clemson game (as much as we all enjoy those Saturdays).

As I have been proposing for months now, football could be played safely without fans in attendance if the participating schools took serious precautions to protect the participants (and necessary staff). I think we all could endure ONE season of watching football on TV in order to help squash this virus for the good of us all.

That seems REASONABLE to many.

Aug 20, 2020, 9:03 PM

Clemson is forcing people to attend games??
Silly me, I thought it was up to the individual if they decide to attend.

Aug 21, 2020, 6:52 AM

Does the people those people go see the next day have a say? Seems pretty selfish to me. Endangering lives for no reason other than a game is sad. You can be sure ill just watch on tv. Much safer for me and the people im around.

Aug 21, 2020, 9:07 AM

I'm sure you have Joe and Kamala on video loop from the convention.

Do you face mask bro?***

Aug 21, 2020, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson plays football in front of fans as planned ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Say, I have this idea...

Aug 21, 2020, 10:15 AM

A mask with built-in mouthpiece... What do you think?

What kind of mouth piece***

Aug 21, 2020, 10:36 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

You know, for the players.

Aug 21, 2020, 11:18 AM

Mask with built-in mouthpiece. I've submitted my patent app and will only need the manufacturing capital to make it happen. Made in U.S.A, of course.

Only if it periodically squirts hand sanitizer

Aug 21, 2020, 12:33 PM

Need a nose equivalent as well.

It's not endangering lives any more than anything else we're

Aug 21, 2020, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson plays football in front of fans as planned ]

all doing. Do you ever leave your house and go into enclosed public settings? Yeah, thought so. You are putting yourself and others at risk just the same.

Stop with the nonsensical lecturing. If there ever was a "snowflake" kind of person, I imagine you're it.

Re: It's not endangering lives any more than anything else we're

Aug 21, 2020, 8:47 PM

Savage,

I have to shop for necessities now and then and when I do I wear a mask and social distance from my fellow shoppers. I have made a real effort to restrict my interactions to necessary things. However, too many people do NOT follow these public safety protocols and many of them will be coming to Clemson for the football games. Does anyone really think that the attendees will follow all of the safety guidelines ? In fact, some people on this very thread have bragged about NOT adhering to acceptable safety standards.

Finally, can we all stop with the snowflake bullyshit. Anyone who wants to be more mindful of others is labeled and dismissed with this vague expletive. You know almost nothing about me and yet you want to make assumptions so that you don't actually have to rationally consider my position. Real men can still think.

Also, as I have said before, this virus will not respond to your "manliness" or testosterone levels. Scientific data and rational actions are what will help defeat this virus - not your savageness.

Re: It's not endangering lives any more than anything else we're

Aug 22, 2020, 9:29 AM

Meh.....if you’re going out even for necessities you’re still part of “the problem”. You literally can have everything you need delivered to your house. Then again, who knows who came in contact with your shipment......I mean....should I go on?......ps....Walmart pick up is pretty legit and they will actually bring you beer now.??

So you do go in a public setting with other people around?

Aug 22, 2020, 3:09 PM [ in reply to Re: It's not endangering lives any more than anything else we're ]

Then you are every bit as much at risk and putting others at risk as poeple at a game. What exactly are you not getting here?

What do people who are choosing to not follow precautions have to do with it? Look, a stadium @ 20% capacity, controlled lines, and forced mask wearing is less of a threat than going to Walmart with people all over themselves. So yet again, how is going to a game different than the 1000's of people who pile into Walmart and grocery stores everyday? Fact is, a game environment ia much more open and will be more controlled than your trips to enclosed public facilities. You just keep skipping over this.

By the way, masks don't prevent respiratory viruses from transmitting, but that's beside the point.

And I didn't call you a snowflake. Try to be less triggered.

Don't do it.. Don't be that guy.. Just stop!!!!...***

Aug 20, 2020, 9:12 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2020, 9:18 PM

You sound like Carl Sagan, except woefully short on numbers. Just curious, but have you posted this on every board of every school in the ACC, SEC, and Big XII? Good luck with that...

Go Tigers!!!

Aug 21, 2020, 9:41 AM

OK Sean, let's try some numbers. Someone else here mentioned 26, 000 tickets. Let's add in another 4000 in staff - ticket takers, concessions, football support staff, etc. just for a nice round 30,000.

How many tailgaters ? people in the bars to watch the game ? Can we double it to 60,000 ? How many people will they interact with the next day ? Can we up the total to 120,000 ?

What about those 120,000 the next day ? Do you refuse to see where this is going ??

You can quadruple over and over to a billion

Aug 21, 2020, 10:06 AM

Won't change anything.

Going to a game isn't going to change anything. Up to you to sanitize ...and wear your mask.

Person with covid could be walking up and down your local publix right now.

What about the thousand people you encounter in Walmart?

Aug 21, 2020, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson plays football in front of fans as planned ]

Then the 2,000 the next day, and so on?

People have literally lost their minds.

Aug 21, 2020, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson plays football in front of fans as planned ]

What does people watching the game at a bar having anything to do with fan attendance? Stop throwing out arbitrary numbers it makes you look even more stupid.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Aug 21, 2020, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson plays football in front of fans as planned ]

Is Covid going to fly into Clemson on the wind and infect every single one of the 60,000 people in your far reaching scenario? Then, all of those 60,000 people subsequently infect two additional people the following day? At that rate, everyone in the United States will have Covid in less than two weeks. You’re either very naive, very bad at science, or, judging by the volume of replies, a very effective troll.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least you're not hiding it anymore. Good For You!

Aug 20, 2020, 10:10 PM

In all seriousness it's time to let go. When Covid19 first broke out it was necessary to put tight social restrictions in place to not overrun the hospital system. That has been under control for the past several months. Everything has to be opened back up, not just football stadiums. But all public venues. People were always going to get sick no matter our precautions.

Re: At least you're not hiding it anymore. Good For You!

Aug 21, 2020, 6:56 AM

Thats a stupid argument. And no, our stay at home model wasnt strict. When you have a world wide pandemic, you dont say stupid crap like... oh... lets just all ignore it and go back to doing whatever. Thats silly.

Aug 21, 2020, 9:19 AM

Cornflakes , buddy just move to a shack in Alaska 100 miles from your closest neighbor. That way you won’t worry yourself to death about people like me that choose to live a normal life. I have not changed one thing during this virus, Work, vacation, Gym , lake days, get togethers with many friends weekly, etc .
It’s acutely selfish of you to want others to live in a bubble like yourself. Mind your own !

Aug 22, 2020, 9:34 AM

They’re showing Empire Strikes Back in Summerville.....think I’m gonna miss that? Nope

Doing whatever?

Aug 22, 2020, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Re: At least you're not hiding it anymore. Good For You! ]

Do you go to Walmart? How about the grovery store? Home Depot? Clothes shopping? Convenience store?

In fact, what don't you do that you normally did?

Aug 21, 2020, 9:43 AM [ in reply to At least you're not hiding it anymore. Good For You! ]

Why would I let this go when the numbers across the nation show so clearly that the virus is still kicking our ##### ?

Que sera, sera is not really the basis for good public policy.

Troll much? Coot***

Aug 20, 2020, 10:13 PM

Re: Troll much? Coot***

Aug 21, 2020, 9:44 AM

I disagree with you therefore I cannot be a Tiger.

He hates these CANS !!

Re: Troll much? Coot***

Aug 23, 2020, 7:45 AM

I disagree with you because you're a coot.

Aug 20, 2020, 10:13 PM

This type of rhetoric is over the top. Use precautions and those with high risk watch on tv. I would imagine spaced out seating under bright Clemson sun isn’t quite the death trap you so gloomily predict. This thing will take its course whatever we do or don’t do.

Aug 21, 2020, 9:31 AM

Sterling,

Spaced out seating sounds good, but what about concessions, bathrooms, tailgating, etc.

SC is still in an escalating situation because people like all of y'all refuse to listen to experts and do what is necessary to get these numbers on a downward trajectory. These football plans will only exacerbate those trends.

Aug 21, 2020, 9:34 AM

Are you neighbors with Cornflakes ? Quit being so gullible. You will be fine !

Aug 21, 2020, 8:55 PM

Garnet,

TODAY, DHEC reported almost 1000 new cases of Covid in SC and 52 new deaths. I guess those people were all told that they would be fine, too.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/latest-covid-19-coronavirus-cases-deaths-released-by-dhec-for-aug-21/33669686

Aug 21, 2020, 11:23 PM

Problem is that the numbers have been skewered in the past and still today. 99 % Chance 50 % of those positive we’re wrong.
Even if there were that many 99 % of those supposedly positive will be just fine.

Aug 21, 2020, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson plays football in front of fans as planned ]

Toby,
To be clear I have been following guidelines and social distancing, washing hands, etc. So I am confident I have done my part to slow spread. However, this has been less out of fear of catching/spreading virus, and more bc I have an extremely pregnant wife, and we don’t want to have to deal with all the extra red tape at hospital if one of tests positive (queue for you accuse me of being selfish)

I think your expectation of controlling people’s behavior is myopic and unrealistic. This misunderstanding is likely due to the terrible media coverage of this thing, but you seem intelligent enough to draw your own logical conclusions based on numbers available and minimal research on respiratory viruses. The fact of the matter is, this thing was deeply seeded in our population early enough, that no amount of contact tracing would have done any good. This is a respiratory virus which on their own are very difficult to control- this one is especially transmissible. It is also not especially deadly, thank God. The original message and goal was to flatten the curve to prevent overwhelming hospitals. That message has evolved into ‘we have to stomp this thing out cold’, which just isn't realistic or even possible. Even totalitarian regimes that can effectively hold people at gunpoint have not been able to stop this thing from re-surging. No amount of masking or guilting people is going to change that. Improving treatment, protecting elderly, and watching and reacting to surges is the only realistic approach- banking on a vaccine is also not a strategy. Its really is a matter matter of ‘letting the virus run its course’ while maintaining damage control. I believe there’s even an argument to me made for controlled avalanche approach to shorten the duration of this thing. However we want to dice it, this virus will run its course whether our hubris allows us to believe that fact or not. The question is do we want to live in fear and project our cowardly misery on others, or accept the fact that mother nature can be one mean biatch sometimes and our illusion of control is just that- an illusion.

Aug 21, 2020, 9:07 PM

Sterling,

First of all, taking care of one's own is hardly selfish (well, by definition it is, but in a manner that is innately human and understandable).

Second, I don't disagree with you analysis, up to a point. We were never going to wipe this thing out completely and despite your assertion to the contrary, I do not think that is what many of us are calling for now. I am willing to reconsider our options going forward dependent on the available data. If we saw a significant downturn in the numbers, then the data would be indicating that the situation had changed and I would support adapting to that new situation. However, I don't think we (SC, GA, NC) are there yet. And a big part of the reason that we are not has everything to do with things that are well within our control.

Finally, plenty of free, democratic nations have done a significantly better job of restricting this virus through better adherence to the public safety standards established by their experts in the field - all things that we could have done and should better commit to doing now. Unfortunately, playing football - with fans in the stands - is not a part of that way forward.

Aug 21, 2020, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson plays football in front of fans as planned ]

Sterling,

Spaced out seating sounds good, but what about concessions, bathrooms, tailgating, etc.

SC is still in an escalating situation because people like all of y'all refuse to listen to experts and do what is necessary to get these numbers on a downward trajectory. These football plans will only exacerbate those trends.

This post made it clear youre trying to make this political and have no clue what your talking about. At least take the 5 seconds to look up the SC epi curve.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Aug 21, 2020, 12:44 PM

Don't know where you see politics in my post, but OK.

Certainly not claiming to be an absolute expert in epidemiology by any means, but I am following the information available and am a student of history in general. I try to keep some element context in mind. Something many seem to be lacking in this conversation.

Aug 21, 2020, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson plays football in front of fans as planned ]

Sorry Kobe, looks like your reply was to Toby, and not mine. We are on the same page.

Aug 21, 2020, 9:18 PM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson plays football in front of fans as planned ]

Kobe,

I take your point. The SC numbers have been on a downward trend over the last two weeks. That is encouraging. However, I am concerned that that downward trend is from a peak of cases that was exacerbated by the premature reopening of our economy in June & July. Our numbers are still significantly higher than they were in April & May.

The numbers are even worse than SC in GA & NC (places where football attendees live). Their numbers are starting to plateau, but are still much higher than April & May.

I hope the downward trends continue, but as of right now, I don't think the data supports public attendance of any large number of people. Perhaps if we postponed the season for one full month, we could see if the hopeful trends continue.

BY the way, the public health aspect of the attendance at football games under current conditions IS political. That doesn't mean it has to be partisan. If anyone is looking at these issues as purely football related, they are seeing less than half of the picture.

Aug 21, 2020, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson plays football in front of fans as planned ]

Do you still not get that the people who attend the games might bring the virus home to thousands more - loved ones - co-workers - people in stores - etc. ???

Aug 21, 2020, 12:37 PM

We will all eventually be exposed. Period. Its just a matter of when. If we see a surge and it looks like SC hospitals may get overwhelmed-thus resulting in potential additional deaths due to lack of care capacity, then yes we may want to consider no fans until under control. The fire wall needs to be set up between high risk and elderly, not the rest of population.

Better than spreadin' Coot-ies.***

Aug 20, 2020, 10:15 PM

Good thing you're not in charge

Aug 20, 2020, 10:17 PM

You'd still have everyone in total lockdown.

Re: Good thing you're not in charge

Aug 21, 2020, 9:57 AM

reductio ad extremum - erroneously attempting to make a reasonable argument into an absurd one, by taking the argument to the extremes. Note that this is not a valid reductio ad absurdum.

We don't need to be in lockdown - that was to keep the health care system from being overrun and leading to unnecessary deaths as a result.

But we still (very much so) need to be following reasonable precautions - everyone wearing masks, practicing social distancing, disinfecting hands and surfaces, etc.

That do NOT include deliberately gathering 50,000 people together in proximity, especially when the above precautions will not be universally observed.

Do you people not look at the trending numbers across the country ? Do you not even consider the advice of the experts who have spent their whole lives studying these things ? Or are your lives so built around the athletic achievements of unrelated teenagers that you just don't care about the ramifications of such things ??

You're very, very confused.

Aug 21, 2020, 10:09 AM

It wouldn't be 50,000. Regardless of the number, the same precautions will be just as "universally observed" as they are everywhere else. Like when you go to Walmart. For the players, it's SIGNIFICANTLY more precautions.

Don't go to Walmart, otherwise, you're part of the problem.

Stop watching Brian Stelter and while you're at it, grow a

Aug 20, 2020, 11:05 PM

PAIR OF BALLS.

Re: Stop watching Brian Stelter and while you're at it, grow a

Aug 21, 2020, 9:33 AM

This is not about manning up. This is about being smart enough to deal with the scientific realities and the threat to public health. Try using your brains instead of your balls.

Scientific realities?

Aug 21, 2020, 10:20 AM

As if you know?

Per your nonsensical "science", the only way to eliminate the threat of spread is to have a 100% lockdown.

Re: Scientific realities?

Aug 21, 2020, 9:22 PM

Savage,

The goal has never been to eliminate, but to reduce to reasonable levels. Many Americans do not think we are there yet, especially in the South, where many of us have dismissed our personal responsibilities to each other and public safety.

I'm sorry guy, but a coupla things

Aug 21, 2020, 11:40 PM

There is NO SUCH THING as reducing to reasonable levels. The spread will continue, period. Thinking that we can play football, or go to Walmart, without spreading it, is simply denying reality.

Nothing, short of a complete lockdown or a vaccine will formally get the virus "under control". Face that, and go forward. If we're going to economically and psychologically survive, we have to move forward.

This is not like the pandemic of 1918. Not even close. Guess what we did then? Moved on with live. Played football even.

By the way, masks don't prevent respiratory viruses. Just in case you didn't know.

What does "reducing it to reasonable levels" do?

Aug 22, 2020, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Scientific realities? ]

And what's reasonable even mean? You're one of these folks that think a vrius can actually be controlled (without complete lockdowns), huh? Not happening.

Why is the virus continuing to spread all over the globe, including states here who are still in lockdown mode without bars and restaurants? Again, without complete lockdowns the respiratory virus will continue to spread. There is no rhyme or reason to "getting it under control". It changes nothing. You go out it public, especially in a closed, lesser controlled environment, then you are putting yourself and others at risk. You are "dismissing your personal responsibilities" to yourself and others. A game is no different than your public outings, except it's in open air, masks are fully mandated (even though they don't prevent or even "control" a respiratory virus), and lines are more regulated than the grocery store and Walmart. A game is more controlled. In fact, game is less of a risk than you going into enclosed places.

Either stop going to public places or don't. There is no half lockdown or half a bubble. And there is no getting a respiratory virus "under contol" without true lockdowns or a virus.

Worse than that

Aug 21, 2020, 10:00 AM

It will be the big money donors who drink fancy boxed wine and eat velveeta.

They never stand up and yell on 2nd down.

We need some blue color Busch light fans in those seats yelling non stop.

LOL boxed wine and Velveeta?!?***

Aug 21, 2020, 12:23 PM

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

GVT KNOWS fancy . . . . this proves it ! ! !***

Aug 21, 2020, 12:33 PM

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

This isn't entirely fair.

Aug 21, 2020, 11:53 AM

We don't know for sure that the virus will be spread, assuming that people follow precautions (wearing a mask at all times, social distancing, staying home if symptomatic, etc.).

With that said, this pandemic has caused me to lose trust in society's desire to do good for one another. I've always thought that most people would sacrifice for the greater good, and COVID has shown that not to be the case. The amount of selfishness and defiance many people have shown has been surprising to me.

For many people, it's all about ME ME ME. Sad.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: This isn't entirely fair.

Aug 21, 2020, 1:08 PM

I would argue the opposite. I was honestly surprised how well the country heeded the stay at home orders for as long as they did. People have certainly sacrificed and I think by in large people are still being responsible, despite the impression the boards and media may give. The problem is that at some point the cost of that sacrifice exceeds the cost of the original dilemma. That cost isn’t just economic-it comes in lives, and in quality if life as well and should not be left out of the equation. When I feel discouraged about the status of society today, I stop and look around me, at the people in my life and realize its not all that bad. People of all shapes, sizes, and yes even political views are good and mean well - just have to turn off that negativity screen in the corner view through first person POV every once in a while.

Re: This isn't entirely fair.

Aug 21, 2020, 9:32 PM [ in reply to This isn't entirely fair. ]

Judge,

I too have been disappointed by the number of people who have refused to make these minimal sacrifices for the greater good. It certainly has not been everyone, but a far higher percentage than I would have thought. And over such little things like wearing a mask and adapting our buying habits a bit.

Given that, I have to assume that behavior patterns will follow a similar path at football games. Therefore, the virus WILL be spread. If Clemson insists on playing these games under current conditions, we will see the numbers rise again
(& some people will continue to deny that it is because of the choices that we are making)

This unwillingness to speak rationally to each other and to compromise is a great threat to our democracy. I hope, going forward, that we can get back to respecting scientific data, factual evidence, reasoned thinking, and the rational positions of Americans who may disagree with our own. If we cannot, I do not see how we go forward as a nation - or a world leader.

So

Aug 21, 2020, 10:27 PM

Can a single retired guy go to games?

Yet again,

Aug 22, 2020, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: This isn't entirely fair. ]

Going out into enclosed public places is more of a risk than at a limited capacity football game, with forced precautions, and in the open air.

Please get this through your head.

If I had a dollar for every post about "controlling"

Aug 21, 2020, 12:09 PM

a VIRUS I would be a very rich man!

"Viruses are found in almost every ecosystem on Earth and are the most numerous type of biological entity. There are millions of types of viruses in the environment and only 6000 or so have been described in detail." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus)

Viruses are a fact of life and we have been studying them since the late 1800s.

Wash your hands frequently, wear a mask, get on with life!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2020, 1:10 PM

Aug 21, 2020, 9:02 PM

Then stay home in your bubble. And Turn off the CNN too.

Aug 21, 2020, 9:23 PM

Hopefully your negative soul will not be there to suck the energy out of the stadium.

Aug 22, 2020, 9:07 AM

I agree with you Tobias. As much as I want college football to be back I think it’s unbelievably foolhardy. I’m in south Florida and I’ve seen family, friends and co-workers suffer. People will argue that it’s personal choice and freedom but sadly as a country we have shown that we will continue to abuse those freedoms for our own enjoyment. There is no #### way they should be playing and I expect it will lead to tragedy.

Aug 22, 2020, 9:07 AM

I agree with you Tobias. As much as I want college football to be back I think it’s unbelievably foolhardy. I’m in south Florida and I’ve seen family, friends and co-workers suffer. People will argue that it’s personal choice and freedom but sadly as a country we have shown that we will continue to abuse those freedoms for our own enjoyment. There is no #### way they should be playing and I expect it will lead to tragedy.

Aug 22, 2020, 9:16 AM

The virus is here, mane. Time to move on. Last time I checked, there are many immunosuppressed individuals in this country yet not laws were put in place to protect them from getting sick. $hit happens. You can either step on it or step around it. Heart disease is a mad killer in this country yet we still have the choice to eat fast food. Can’t live I fear man. I’ve gathered enough intel to know that those who want every shut down are truly afraid of dying......that’s another whole dilema right there.

You're a Cold One, Mister Grinch.

Aug 22, 2020, 9:36 AM

Despite what you try to say or do, there will still be joy in Whoville.

Aug 22, 2020, 9:47 AM

I have to disagree. My wife and I went to the All Star Race in Bristol, TN a few weeks back. Roughly the same amount of people that will be allowed in Death Valley; although, a larger stadium. To my knowledge, there were no outbreaks in fans OR the surrounding area. The majority seemed to follow the protocols set forth by the State of TN and NASCAR. Therein lies the key, it can be "safe" as safe can be provided fans follow the protocols!

Lastly, neither my wife or I felt concerned with those that didn't follow the protocols - there will always be some. We were able to keep our 6 ft distance and didn't linger in places for more than a few minutes other than our seats. I will say it was a little hairy in the food and concession lines so hopefully that will be addressed both at Clemson as well as the Night Race at Bristol in a few weeks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can you prove that or are you speculating?***

Aug 22, 2020, 2:49 PM

Re: Can you prove that or are you speculating?***

Aug 23, 2020, 8:04 AM

No, BC cannot prove anything with this anecdotal story, this is just an anecdote from a useless sample size, his comments can entertain or make somebody feel good, but unfortunately an anecdote about a handful of people provides a sample size that contributes nothing to an intelligent discussion on the virus. With that said, really glad to hear that they made the trip and didn’t get the virus. Hopefully they did not spread it, we will never know.

Aug 23, 2020, 11:50 AM

There were several articles in local papers that I will attempt to find once I get back home.

And for your information, we wear our masks when we need to, we social distance when we need to, AND, get this, we BOTH have tested NEGATIVE.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2020, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Can you prove that or are you speculating?*** ]

https://heraldcourier.com/news/local/health-officials-say-no-local-covid-19-clusters-linked-to-the-july-nascar-race-in/article_7730b5d1-c035-5ca2-a7b1-305769d83e12.html

https://www.jayski.com/2020/08/03/no-local-covid-19-clusters-identified-after-bristol-all-star-race/

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/2020/07/30/two-weeks-after-nascar-all-star-race-0-coronavirus-cases-linked-to-event/

https://www.rockytoptalk.com/2020/8/18/21374420/tennessee-vols-football-phillip-fulmer-eyeing-25-percent-capacity-at-neyland-this-fall

If there was an outbreak, would the national media not be all over it???????????

Now I ain't here to start a fight, all I'm saying is that you can safely have an OUTDOOR event with proper protocols. Every single person has their own level of risk they are willing to take on. My wife and I stayed home and didn't go anywhere in the beginning of COVID. When we did go out to the grocery store/Wal Mart/Lowes, we wore masks and went early in the day to cut down on exposure. Heck, we just sat down in a restaurant for a meal a few weeks ago. After reviewing what Bristol had in place, we felt it was safe to go. As I stated in my original post, there were people that had masks off outside of their seats but we limited our time or avoided those situations. Nobody sat in our row and there were open rows (they had taken out the bleacher seating) both behind us and in front of us so those fans were more than 6ft away. We arrived an hour before the race and left right after.

So, whether you choose to sit at home and watch the game, sit in the stands, or even show up to tailgate, GO TIGERS!

PS we have both been tested since we attended the race and BOTH WERE NEGATIVE

If you were a real Tiger fan, you'd

Aug 24, 2020, 11:54 AM

put on your PPE and show up!

Now how about working on that pulse! You got this!!!

Go Tigers AND Stay Well Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Replies: 91
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic