Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I’m finding it hard to regain my respect for Herbstreit this year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

I’m finding it hard to regain my respect for Herbstreit this year

Nov 18, 2019, 11:16 AM

(This has nothing to do with his sons being at Clemson, purely his analysis job)

Last year when Herbstreit lobbied with all his might for Georgia to move up to #3 after losing the SEC title game I lost a lot of respect for him and his opinions on college football.

I thought it was a terribly reckless thing to do and started the dangerous precedent of throwing results completely out the window in favor of pure opinion and eye test.

Furthermore, I’m not sure that he truly believed what he was saying. I feel like he was told to lobby for Georgia so as to create drama so people would tune in for the selection show. That’s all fine and dandy for a known troublemaker talking head like Stephen A or Kellerman to do... but this was Herbstreit, who has been one of the leading faces and authorities on college football at a national level for several years now.

Honestly as I’ve watched him this year, I’ve struggled to regain that respect and take him seriously again. I really believe that hard stance he took was that damaging to his reputation.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am sorry for you and him

Nov 18, 2019, 11:18 AM

I hope you 2 can somehow fix your differences and get back together

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: I am sorry for you and him

Nov 18, 2019, 11:38 AM

Your dogs, as a pair, have a sinister look about them.

yeah

Nov 18, 2019, 11:55 AM

the white one will go tear something up and the brown one will act like he didn't know about it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: I’m finding it hard to regain my respect for Herbstreit this year

Nov 18, 2019, 11:22 AM

There is always marriage and family therapy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Nov 18, 2019, 11:25 AM

It's hard to defend Herbie's take on UGA last year, but a huge aspect of what he was saying that gets lost in the story: He thought he saw UGA play against one of the greatest teams ever in college football.

The thought that Bama was so far superior to everyone else in the country was so commonly accepted that most didn't even acknowledge that it could be wrong.

Sure he was trying to hype the selection show, but he thought what he was saying had some validity based on opinions of Bama.

Nov 18, 2019, 11:34 AM

Sportscasters have a job to do. If every one of them jumped on the Tiger bandwagon as you would like the show ratings would drop considerably. Believe it or not but 90% of those who watch these shows don’t tune in to hear how great Clemson is. To me, it just makes these championships we are winning that much more enjoyable. I love it when they hate us!!! Sit back and enjoy the moment

this particular gripe has nothing to do with Clemson

Nov 18, 2019, 11:36 AM

It’s that he lobbied for a team that just lost to move UP. Rendering actual results meaningless. Keep in mind, Georgia was a two loss team, with already a rout loss to LSU

Sure, and it wasn’t much of a stretch to think UGA was

Nov 18, 2019, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m finding it hard to regain my respect for Herbstreit this year ]

better than OK and ND.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2019, 11:29 AM

Getting UGA into the playoffs would (long term) open the door for his alma mater (ohio state) who habitually loses a game they shouldn't every year or so.

Gotta look at his long game here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's clear that each analyst is "assigned" a team to tout to

Nov 18, 2019, 11:32 AM

create a little drama and bring more eyes to the show.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's clear that each analyst is "assigned" a team to tout to

Nov 18, 2019, 11:41 AM

joeyb® said:

create a little drama and bring more eyes to the show.

^^^^^^^
THIS

Re: It's clear that each analyst is "assigned" a team to tout to

Nov 18, 2019, 11:47 AM [ in reply to It's clear that each analyst is "assigned" a team to tout to ]

Perfectly describes all news, sporting and otherwise.

Nov 18, 2019, 11:35 AM

Here is an example of the problem with how so many react to the media. Why do they have to be right 100% of the time, and why do you have to agree with them 100% of the time in order for them to have your respect?

All of these goobers are analysts, and as long as the

Nov 18, 2019, 11:37 AM

playoff is determined by opinion/analysis, this nonsense will continue. In Herbie's defense, I suspect that to some degree, his opinion is influenced by his effort to seem unbiased in favor of Clemson, where his sons play.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I suspect...

Nov 18, 2019, 11:41 AM

that to a great degree, his opinion is influenced by the $EZ homers for whom he works.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

ProbabLEE.***

Nov 18, 2019, 11:45 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Not even going to read all this....

Nov 18, 2019, 11:54 AM

Herb's one of the best out there. And it's a fact of life you are not going to agree with him all the time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have to admit...

Nov 18, 2019, 1:59 PM

the argument he tried to make for Georgia last year was not one of his better moments.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I think it’s BS that announcers are told what to say. I’m

Nov 18, 2019, 11:56 AM

sure they are encouraged though to talk about conferences as a whole in general because that’s great for ratings..

I think he seriously thought Bama was that good so that UGA was that good. He and a lot of people were proven wrong though.

Also, it wasn’t much of a stretch to think UGA was better than OK and ND.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic