Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPNU commentators using the current "opt outs" and reasons.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,682

ESPNU commentators using the current "opt outs" and reasons.

Dec 31, 2020, 12:07 PM

to expand the playoffs interests me but it does raise some questions.

Why in years past, when only ONE or MAYBE TWO major bowl games determined the NATIONAL CHAMPS, did very few (not sure any until McCaffrey and Peppers)"opt out" of bowl games, esp ones New Years day bowl games?

What has changed? It was really the same scenario. When Clemson played in the GATOR or BELK bowls, I dont recall opt outs on either team. Perhaps, there were fewer bowls so the ones that existed meant more? Perhaps, the culture across college football has changed? Perhaps, the kid playing the game at the D1 level who now gets stipends, clothing, on line classes, food, tutores and hangs out in beautiful expansive facilities is a bit softer than the kids years ago?

Interesting.........

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's becoming more and more like college hoops...

Dec 31, 2020, 12:15 PM

In many cases, the kids don't really have a connection or any real affinity for the school.

The school they choose is just a stepping stone to get them to the next level.

Frankly, where you get right down to it, the only post-season games that really matter are the CFP games so is it reasonable to expect upperclassmen to risk injury in advance of the NFL draft for an effectively meaningless game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: It's becoming more and more like college hoops...

Dec 31, 2020, 12:23 PM

When you're 3-7 with a couple of regular season games left - why not quit then? This opt-out is B$, lets call it what it is - quitting on your team, coaches and fans. The BCS was worse than our current system but guys played. This snowflake thing has permeated our entire culture - football is no different. The transfer portal has killed team loyalty and is the real culprit here.

I do think its a cultural thing...

Dec 31, 2020, 12:28 PM

not within the respective programs but with the kids.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's becoming more and more like college hoops...

Dec 31, 2020, 12:26 PM [ in reply to It's becoming more and more like college hoops... ]

So, really nothing different from years ago because the vast majority of bowl games were meaningless in terms of a National Champion then as well, except much more $$$ is involved now when looking at the NFL. Makes sense.

It's more of a generational thing and lack of accountability***

Dec 31, 2020, 12:22 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NFL pays a lot more than it used to

Dec 31, 2020, 12:31 PM

Miami's QB King tore his ACL and has to have surgery. If he was going pro, it almost certainly would have cost him millions of dollars. Who knows, maybe he'll never be the same and now he won't make it in the pros. Most of these guys do develop an affinity for their schools but ultimately they're focused on their careers. I don't like all the opt-outs as a fan but I can't expect the players to put my desire to watch a good game over what they think is best for them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If these kids are talking to agents...

Dec 31, 2020, 12:35 PM

and most of them probably are, the agents are likely encouraging them to opt out.

^^THIS^^

Dec 31, 2020, 12:42 PM

You just saved me a lot of typing time my friend.

Happy New Year!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,682
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic