Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So i take it the Heisman is going to
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

So i take it the Heisman is going to

Dec 15, 2020, 2:15 PM

The Howdy Doody looking Bama QB?

Should make for some good Nissan commercials ... NOT

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So i take it the Heisman is going to

Dec 15, 2020, 2:26 PM

Misspelled heistman

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 3:20 PM

Misspelled Hypesman

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 3:30 PM [ in reply to Re: So i take it the Heisman is going to ]

As I have stated previously individual awards are nice but football is a team sport with lots of players.I am sure Dabo and company would agree that a Team Championship is way more important and satisfying than individual awards,then all Team members earn an award down to the scout team.Lets go TIGERS!Its Championship Season!

Dec 15, 2020, 2:28 PM

I've said it before (during CJ's run, then again during DW's) and I'll say it again: I am 100% convinced that we will NEVER have a Heisman winner - there has to be something against it written into ESPN's by-laws..

Dec 15, 2020, 2:49 PM

Everyone keeps wanting to blame ESPN, but they're the same ones who were hyping Lawrence up during the offseason each of the past 2 years. I only mean that people act as if ESPN has been against him from the start or something.

The issue with the Heisman which is especially maximized this season is there is really no fair way to decide the winner. Should it be based largely on the "eye test" on who the voters think the best player is? Or should it be based largely on stats? Obviously stats are going to play a large part, but what if a QB on one team has a terrible defense and is constantly involved in 49-45 type of games where he plays most of the game, and the other QB is often out by the 4th quarter because his defense gives up under 20 points in most games? How do you measure the difference in the stats?

This year if we're comparing Jones and Lawrence and looking strictly at stats then it's hard to make a case for Lawrence. Jones has 3321 yards passing compared to 2,431 for Lawrence. The touchdowns are more even, Jones has 28 total touchdowns compared to 27 for Lawrence. Then you have to consider that Jones has played 10 games compared to 8 by Lawrence. It's certainly not anyone's fault that Lawrence missed 2 games. Lawrence would likely have at least a handful more touchdowns than Jones had he played 10 games, and would at least be a lot closer in terms of yards. How do you measure that as a voter? I really don't know.

Also of course the award is slanted towards quarterbacks. I know running backs have won the award before, but it takes a lot for one to win it over a QB. One could argue that Harris and Smith are just as deserving of winning the Heisman this season as Jones is.

Dec 15, 2020, 4:27 PM

I still say TL should get some credit for being the catalyst to saving the season. Talk about MVP.
imo

Dec 15, 2020, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: So i take it the Heisman is going to ]

Everyone keeps wanting to blame ESPN, but they're the same ones who were hyping Lawrence up during the offseason each of the past 2 years. I only mean that people act as if ESPN has been against him from the start or something.

The issue with the Heisman which is especially maximized this season is there is really no fair way to decide the winner. Should it be based largely on the "eye test" on who the voters think the best player is? Or should it be based largely on stats? Obviously stats are going to play a large part, but what if a QB on one team has a terrible defense and is constantly involved in 49-45 type of games where he plays most of the game, and the other QB is often out by the 4th quarter because his defense gives up under 20 points in most games? How do you measure the difference in the stats?

This year if we're comparing Jones and Lawrence and looking strictly at stats then it's hard to make a case for Lawrence. Jones has 3321 yards passing compared to 2,431 for Lawrence. The touchdowns are more even, Jones has 28 total touchdowns compared to 27 for Lawrence. Then you have to consider that Jones has played 10 games compared to 8 by Lawrence. It's certainly not anyone's fault that Lawrence missed 2 games. Lawrence would likely have at least a handful more touchdowns than Jones had he played 10 games, and would at least be a lot closer in terms of yards. How do you measure that as a voter? I really don't know.

Also of course the award is slanted towards quarterbacks. I know running backs have won the award before, but it takes a lot for one to win it over a QB. One could argue that Harris and Smith are just as deserving of winning the Heisman this season as Jones is.

I think this illustrates the issue at hand. TL was basically running away with it before Covid took him out ; meanwhile the other guys were racking up stats either playing into the 4th quarter or (mostly) beating up on inferior teams.

I remember one analyst calling TLs stats pedestrian compared to the other two QBs...but not mention that TL missed 2 games and also doesn't regularly play into the 4th quarter. (Yeah, SEC analyst)

Anyhow, I think if there's a stalemate in the SEC Champ and TL has a good showing and wins, he could pull the last minute win for the Heisman but it's truly up in the air at this point

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 2:38 PM

clemchem® said:

The Howdy Doody looking Bama QB?

Should make for some good Nissan commercials ... NOT

Honestly, I thought Trask was gonna runaway with it due the ongoing commentary of "he did it in the SEC" crap they were throwing out the last 2 weeks.

BUT if there was a glimmer of hope it was Trask and Jones having off games last week.

I think with TLAW still has a legit shot but I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you too.... Championships > Heisman.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 2:52 PM

I wish he had been able to put up huge numbers against VT to truly be able to take advantage of the other two from this past weekend. I think he still has a chance, but he needs to have a monster game in a win against ND. Having Bama beat Florida in a game where Trask plays poorly, and Bama gets scores on defense, special teams, and their running backs without Jones putting up huge numbers would certainly help as well.

Probably. Devontae Smith seems to be picking up

Dec 15, 2020, 2:42 PM

some steam, but I think the QB always wins out over the WR.

Trevor probably doesn't have much of shot unless he throws for 500 and 5 TDs vs ND.

agree...very lackluster group of two left.***

Dec 15, 2020, 2:46 PM

Bama QB won't win it.

Dec 15, 2020, 3:24 PM

Trask or Lawrence.

Jones winning would be the second coming of Gino Torretta. I hope that doesn't happen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Least deserving winner of all time, Toretta. What does it

Dec 15, 2020, 3:37 PM

say about the perceived talent in College Football that year, the fact that they just gave it to a Cane QB because he happened to be the Canes QB? (This was back when Miami was still relevant.)

The NFL was a slightly better judge of talent, he was not taken until the 7th round.

Marshall Faulk finished second, Garrison Hearst of Georgia finished third. Either one would have been a better pick than Toretta.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a mistake to rule out Devonta Smith

Dec 15, 2020, 3:25 PM

Unfortunately (from my point of view), Trask is out. The LSU game killed his chances.

The two finalists are Mac Jones and Devonta Smith. It really bugs me an Alabama player is guaranteed to win.

The SEC championship game is more important for who wins the Heisman Trophy between teammates than it is for determining who makes the CFP. Doesn't get any worse than that.

Re: It's a mistake to rule out Devonta Smith

Dec 15, 2020, 4:39 PM

The rise of Smith actually helps Lawrence. There is a faction of people who will vote based off of the best player in college football (Lawrence) and the "career award" (Lawrence). The others will swing week to week based on who is hot (Trask, Jones, Smith). Some of those will still settle on Lawrence and the others will be split among the SEC/Bama. If he plays a solid game against ND I think Lawrence is still very much in the drivers seat.

null

Re: It's a mistake to rule out Devonta Smith

Dec 15, 2020, 4:45 PM

I agree... in much the same way that it could've hurt Trevor if ETN had shown out this year. I don't think Trevor is out of it. Going to need a really good game this weekend, but as the face of college football, and not exactly a BAD year, I think he has a chance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trevor Isn't Out Of It

Dec 15, 2020, 6:19 PM

A good game this weekend and a bad one by Jones in my opinion would give Trevor more than a chance! The reporters will run stories about how: "sitting out and doing the right thing shouldn't hurt your Heisman chances"! Which is true - because whether you miss 1 or 2 games - if the Heisman is supposed to go to the best player - Trevor Lawrence is the guy!

He did miss games!
His coach pulls him when Clemson is up big; the others may but not as soon!
His numbers aren't as gaudy; but neither are Trask/Jones compared to Dillon Gabriel! Not all about stats.
A high profile game and doing big time things in this game this weekend will go a long way.

Florida knows this: Alabama is in no matter what and we are out of it no matter what! What do we have to lose! I think Florida has the team speed to contend with Bama! Whether they will or not - no idea! Will some of the draft eligible players have their minds on getting ready for the draft - IDK. But, they are capable! Will they, umph. But, they capable.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 6:25 PM

can anyone point out a single play Mac or Trask made the Trevor couldn't do better?

Dec 16, 2020, 12:19 AM

TL got a raw deal missing three games due to covid related issues. His passing hasn’t been that great the last few games. Jones is absolutely killing it in the passing efficiency stat l . TL is an awsome QB for sure. The Jets will be glad to have him.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic