Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fla has 4 wr opt out of Bowl
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Fla has 4 wr opt out of Bowl

Dec 29, 2020, 11:26 AM

I'm sure Mullen will blame A&M.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fla has 4 wr opt out of Bowl

Dec 29, 2020, 11:45 AM

Making my Oklahoma pick in soccerkrzy®‘s bowl pick’em look even better!

??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Dec 29, 2020, 12:01 PM

I know these guys have agents chirping in their ears to sit out and don't risk injury; however I don't see how you can abandon your brothers that battled with you all year long and helped put you into a position to possibly be drafted. Also, the opportunity to beat OK in major bowl would seem to be very appealing to most players.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2020, 12:13 PM

Lexguy2003 said:

I know these guys have agents chirping in their ears to sit out and don't risk injury; however I don't see how you can abandon your brothers that battled with you all year long and helped put you into a position to possibly be drafted. Also, the opportunity to beat OK in major bowl would seem to be very appealing to most players.

Many of today's players give me the impression they don't love the game the way players use to just love to play it. Probably because there wasn't as many distractions to hold your attention back in the day as there are now! But, many of these guys don't appear to me to have that, I would play football even if nobody was looking because I love the sport that much to them.

Furthermore, I don't get how you think not playing "One Game" will hinder your career! These guys need strong people in their corner telling them what snakes agents are. You look at some highly drafted players who do not make it a year or two in the NFL. To me; it's better to have finished the right way at whatever school you attended rather than "show your loyalty in such a selfish way"! And to anyone thinking I don't get it: "please understand you can only get better at playing football by playing football, you can also get hurt just as easy training for the combine as you can playing in a bowl game"! To me the good doesn't outweigh the bad in that scenario - and I don't like UF at all. Saying it now, before any Clemson player does it so I am not accused of not being consistent. It makes no sense to me no matter who you are. Even from a get ready for the draft point of view it makes no sense! I am pretty sure in prep for the bowl game you are doing all the moves that have you thinking you are NFL ready. And, you practicing against real people.
Look up the HIGH number of - keyword coming - "NON-CONTACT INJURIES" that happen in the NFL. Then tell me it makes sense to miss the bowl game, no way! All the torn biceps, torn pecks, pulled hamstrings, etc. and on and on where a player misses the combine happens "training for the combine"!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2020, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Fla has 4 wr opt out of Bowl ]

They don’t care about the college game or their “brothers”. They don’t care about the school. Or the coaches. Or the alumni/fans. A bowl game victory is meaningless to them.

It’s all about $$$$$. Period.

If I were a pro scout, opting out of a bowl would be a gigantic red flag, but all they care about is $$$$ too.

Dec 29, 2020, 12:48 PM

Noodle said:

They don’t care about the college game or their “brothers”. They don’t care about the school. Or the coaches. Or the alumni/fans. A bowl game victory is meaningless to them.

If I were a pro scout, opting out of a bowl would be a gigantic red flag, but all they care about is $$$$ too.

You make a good point! NFL teams have started to in some ways start to pull on the reins a bit with how they payout. Ask for too much and they will gladly allow you to test the market. As it has been said, "every year there is a new crop waiting to replace you"!
What I like about what you said about it being a red flag is: "NFL teams are slicker about putting incentives in contracts now to motivate players. Many of whom once they "get a check" they stop grinding. Stop caring about the game and being a pro which ultimately results in poor performance on the field"!
Showing you love to play football tells front offices you want to play and would literally do it for free if you had to.
Larry Fitzgerald and Frank Gore are both on NFL rosters and I know should have plenty of loot. Both are supposedly pretty tight with their spending. But, these guys are set financially but still "they love the game"! Larry Bird and Magic Johnson I think would have been those guys dominating YMCA leagues if they didn't go pro for some reason. And playing and working and still going to play ball "because they love to play"!

This is the principle reason so many people say they don't like the NFL - players just in it for the money. As soon as more NFL teams start following the Patriots formula of "i'll cut you if you don't play the patriots way which means selflessness and sacrifice and doing your assigned task how you have been trained to do it"! The better NFL football will become because guys who love the sport and who want to play football will get the call. For sure, a red flag in a quickly changing landscape in the NFL.

Dec 29, 2020, 12:52 PM

They don't care about a bowl game. ESPN has promoted CFP so much the bowls are now worthless.

Dec 29, 2020, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Fla has 4 wr opt out of Bowl ]

Noodle said:

That's your "love of the game" fan take. All a scouts job is to measure the likelihood of success based on certain measureables and film. You'd be out of a job as a scout if you downgraded a kid or gave him a major "red flag" because he skipped a bowl game that you overinflate how much their teammates actually care about. You know why most kids don't skip bowl games? It's because they are either not eligible to go pro, or they just aren't good enough to go pro. Who are you to tell them that should play in a game that probably won't help their film that much, when they can avoid the unecessary risk and prepare for their career? Why waste time on a bowl prep when they can prepare for their job interview?

Dec 29, 2020, 1:28 PM

Opting out of a bowl tells me that the player refuses to commit to the team and their teammates. That’s a red flag no matter how good the player is. IMO.

I’m not in a position to tell anyone what to do, as if any players would care. All I can do is state my opinion. If the player can’t be all in while in college, what makes you think they will be when they get that job?

If they are going to opt out of the bowl, why not opt out of other meaningless games like Citadel or UofSC?

Dec 30, 2020, 9:39 PM

Because early in the season, you're still building film. That whole "commit to the team" stuff is more fan mythology than anything else. Teammates don't care about that stuff the way you think they do.

its the Me generation

Dec 29, 2020, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Fla has 4 wr opt out of Bowl ]

It affects a lot of people these day especially those under 40

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: its the Me generation

Dec 29, 2020, 1:07 PM

So True Neal in NC!

The NFL could help itself out and college football out as well as believe it or not the player out by making it known they look down on opt outs.

1st you opt out - in college.

2nd once in the league - you hold out - for more money!

Send a clear message it's a hit on your grade (GM's and scouts). It shows a lack of commitment to what is essentially your word in not completing your football commitment; even though you likely got treated very well by the school.

How it would help the NFL and college are apparent. But, i.m.o it will help the player because they get to show they are real pros. It shows commitment(unless it's a force) and follow through. As you practice for a bowl game you are also doing what? "You are practicing football" just like you would if you didn't go to the bowl game. Practicing football by blocking, tackling, running executing and knowing plays is how you get ready for the NFL. How many more Vernon Gholstons examples do we need who were weight room and physical phreaks who "couldn't play football"! https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=7934

Dec 29, 2020, 1:12 PM

So True Neal in NC!

The NFL could help itself out and college football out as well as believe it or not the player out by making it known they look down on opt outs.

1st you opt out - in college.

2nd once in the league - you hold out - for more money!

Send a clear message it's a hit on your grade (GM's and scouts). It shows a lack of commitment to what is essentially your word in not completing your football commitment; even though you likely got treated very well by the school.

How it would help the NFL and college are apparent. But, i.m.o it will help the player because they get to show they are real pros. It shows commitment(unless it's a force) and follow through. As you practice for a bowl game you are also doing what? "You are practicing football" just like you would if you didn't go to the bowl game. Practicing football by blocking, tackling, running executing and knowing plays is how you get ready for the NFL. How many more Vernon Gholstons examples do we need who were weight room and physical phreaks who "couldn't play football"! https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=7934

NFL clubs can't and shouldn't talk about commitment when they can cut a player mid contract. They are not "honoring" their commitment to the player. Until contracts are fully guaranteed I will always side with the players who should be looking out for their best interests and not an owner's.

Dec 29, 2020, 1:32 PM

dogunwo When players get hurt in non-pandemic years guess what; stadiums still fill up. Jersey's and sneakers and concessions and parking spaces and luxury suites still get consumed. Another "player" steps in and gets it done.

Said that to say; "a player is not bigger than the game; don't cheat the game being selfish"! Whether it's you or the next guy - people love American football and will consume it in all the various ways.

As far as college - how if you have gone an entire season without getting hurt do you all of a sudden irrationally come to the conclusion that "that's going to be the game where it happens"! Why not just not play football period for 3 years and just get ready for the NFL until you are 3 years removed from H.S.?

Wouldn't that just make sense? Not.
The reason you don't is - you need to show you can be a benefit to a pro team! That game not only shows commitment and follow through; but it gives you an opportunity to add more film. Perhaps you were a 2nd round grade and somebody saw your potential in bowl practices and then the bowl game and decided they would take you in the 1st. It's not an uncommon story at all. Google it. Type in players who's draft stock went up after bowl game!

There is a business decision in playing as well. 1st round money is better than 4th round money.

Do you not acknowledge the number of soft tissue non-contact issues? In other words, issues that could have happened at any point. To suggest it will happen during the 2nd to last week of December is faulty.

Dec 29, 2020, 1:35 PM

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30333756/

Re: Its Simple For Florida's WRs ---

Dec 29, 2020, 12:39 PM

They really didn't want to be there......because it just means more.

Dec 29, 2020, 9:13 PM

I don't like them opting out of bowl games either, but let's not forget that these guy's first teams are their families. And many of these young men have the chance to make the kind of money that will change life for their entire family - and for generations to come. That is a big consideration for a 21 year old.

Dec 30, 2020, 9:44 PM

I don't like them opting out of bowl games either, but let's not forget that these guy's first teams are their families. And many of these young men have the chance to make the kind of money that will change life for their entire family - and for generations to come. That is a big consideration for a 21 year old.

No, no, no. Its much more important to play for your teammates and fan opinion in a meaningless almost exhibition game than to be concerned about your future.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic