Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It is a travesty to include Notre Dame in the CFB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

It is a travesty to include Notre Dame in the CFB

Nov 30, 2018, 12:34 PM

It is absolutely unfair. By not playing a 13th game, the Big12 several years age chose to add a championship game hence the 13th “ data point.” Notre Dame remains an independent(at their own choosing) for many selfish reasons. Greed, hubris and arrogance and that defines their team, their coach and especially their fans. As far as Notre Dame’s inclusion in this year’s playoff being ”great for CFB” I respectfully disagree. What’s best is for greedy outliers to be forced to choose between money and independence or joining the rest of CFB teams (except America’s team Alabama)that don’t have a snowballs chance in heII in making the CFB playoffs without claiming their conference championship.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is a travesty to include Notre Dame in the CFB

Nov 30, 2018, 12:38 PM

Agree. Shows politics and money are the most important criteria for the CFP committee.

Nov 30, 2018, 12:48 PM

So? Stop believing in some fairy tale world where all is "fair", whatever that means to the person doing the whining.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2018, 12:40 PM

Notre Dame doesn't play an FCS school. There's your extra game.

Nov 30, 2018, 6:34 PM

It's the risk of injury in that 13th game that everyone else has to deal with. Makes no difference whether it is FCS or not. A starter can get hurt playing Furman just as easily as they can playing a power five school and that can impact the playoffs. What people are saying is ND rests while everyone else takes the risk. They should have to play a 13th game. Just my opinion.

Message was edited by: TigerFanX2000®

Nope

Nov 30, 2018, 12:46 PM

Going undefeated against a P5 level schedule should always get you in absent 4 other undefeateds.

I'm far from a ND fan, but lets remember that that 13th game we are playing this week is against a team that ND already beat. So it's not like they played the sisters of the poor.

Now then, I am entirely for a complete overhaul of conferences and going back to 9 (or 10 max) team conferences that settle the championship by playing everyone and making the CFP be a matchup between champions. But absent that sort of drastic overhaul I can't see how ND is somehow getting some great advantage by not playing this weekend when we are playing a team they already beat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2018, 12:47 PM

I couldn't agree more. They should at least have to play a 13th game with somebody; even if it's an Akron. All the other teams in the playoffs run the risk of injuries, etc. And as we saw with Hunter Renfro two weeks ago, injuries occur just from running and diving to catch a ball. Yet ND is exempted from that. Why? Let them keep their money from NBC. But if they refuse to join a Conference and play for a Championship prior to the Playoffs, they should be excluded.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK, so to make it fair

Nov 30, 2018, 12:49 PM

They should just schedule an FCS team or some lower level directional school?

That doesn't feel like it'd make a bit of difference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OK, so to make it fair

Nov 30, 2018, 8:06 PM

For me, it's the 60 min risk of injuries that makes it a big deal. All other playoff teams have to risk that extra game, so ND should as well. I see what you are saying, and you make a good point. Just my opinion.

Akron is getting $1.3 million so u5c can go to Shreveport***

Nov 7, 2014, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Re: It is a travesty to include Notre Dame in the CFB ]

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nov 30, 2018, 12:48 PM

You can't blame ND for taking advantage of the system; it is what it is. I agree that it's unusual and that they get special treatment. As someone else stated, they don't play an FCS school so the extra game thing is kind of weak. On the other hand, if ND were to join the ACC (which is likely), then any prestige or further notoriety to their name is good for all of us. Notre Dame can't help that the teams that they schedule (which are traditionally better than average) suck. They certainly don't schedule a bunch of cream puffs. They've scheduled the teams that should certainly put their strength of schedule up there with anybody's (I said should). They beat all of the teams they've played. Now to the bottom line; in the end, it's always about money. Who is going to bring the national eye balls to the playoff more than Notre Dame? Answer: nobody.

Nov 30, 2018, 4:17 PM

Do you think of ND decided to join a conference, they’d go to the ACC or B1G?

I think it is in their agreement with the ACC, that if they

Nov 30, 2018, 6:44 PM

decide to join a conference in football, it has to be the ACC.

Nov 30, 2018, 12:49 PM

The Big 12 added the 13th game in an attempt to have a 1 loss team be able to get in. If a 12-0 win Big 12 team didn't have another game to play they would still get in. The change was made because of 11-1 TCU and Baylor being left out in 2014.

Nov 30, 2018, 12:50 PM

Since Notre Dame is part owner of CFP, I guess they can do what they want.

Nov 30, 2018, 12:50 PM

Since Notre Dame is part owner of CFP, I guess they can do what they want.

Nope. They deserve to be in.

Nov 30, 2018, 1:43 PM

They played a tough enough schedule. Not being in a conference title game is an advantage in this spot, however if they had a loss(which is the vast majority of years), it becomes just as big a disadvantage to not play in one. Last year with Bama was fluky as everyone else had 2 losses. Bottom line, win your games.

Nov 30, 2018, 1:45 PM

It goes both ways. Their lack of a championship game may hurt them some year. For example, if they had one loss this year, they wouldn’t have the benefit of adding to their resume with an extra win and champions of a conference. OSU and/or OU would be chosen over ND if they both were to win their conference.

Nov 30, 2018, 4:16 PM

OSU or OU May still jump them this year. Committee values conference championships as the first piece of criteria. We don’t know what to expect on Sunday because we haven’t been down this road yet.

They don't value conference championships a whole lot!

Nov 30, 2018, 6:47 PM

Hopefully they value it enough this year, that if Bama loses, they wouldn't get in over OHSt or OK, if either wins tomorrow.

I'd take them any day over a conference championship loser***

Nov 30, 2018, 1:48 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To be fair...

Nov 30, 2018, 1:48 PM

conferences choose to play a championship game. There is nothing saying they have to do this. Why should ND be punished just because other teams have elected to participate in a 13th game?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Nov 30, 2018, 1:52 PM

Nope. Respectively disagree. They are undefeated and play no FCS schools. Clearly fall within "4 best" parameter. This year would not hurt them. However, if you had Bama, Clemson, OK and OSU all go undefeated and win conference champ games, it would bite em in the butt. They will get left out. Small odds that all those conference champs ever go undefeated....granted.

Good luck trying to do that.

Nov 30, 2018, 2:05 PM

The CFP broadcast rights sold to ESPN were unquestionably more valuable with ND included in the package. That's what gives ND leverage here. Any contract negotiated between the FBS schools and ESPN is going to be less valuable without ND. Also, the current contract runs through 2025 so nothing could be done for at least 7 more years anyway.

Re: Good luck trying to do that.

Nov 30, 2018, 2:54 PM

I have no issue with ND being in the "playoff". My issue is with the 4 team limitation.

Granted the contract runs for seven more years, but there is too much $ to be made with TV rights by not moving to eight teams. I am hopeful the $ involved cause a new contract to be adopted within half that time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not if you look at it this way - Bama (and other SEC teams)

Nov 30, 2018, 3:15 PM

play 3 or 4 absolutely pathetic games (ex: Bama - Ark St, Louisiana-Laf, Citadel; UGA - UMass, Middle TN St, Austin Peay).
So they only play 9 "REAL" games.

Notre Dame played one patsy, Ball State. They also played Navy and 10 other P5 schools.

Don't get lost in this "13th game" nonsense. Bama doesn't play 13 legitimate games.

Here's a quiz for you:
Three teams have beaten 10 power 5 schools so far this year -- can you name them?

I gave you one already - Notre Dame.
The other two are.........

Clemson and Ohio State

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok you can be upset about their greed

Nov 30, 2018, 3:20 PM

but greed shouldn’t be a factor in deciding factor of who the best four teams in the country, to me the deciding factor should be there resúme, and Notre Dame has as good a resúme than almost any other team in the country. They’ve got wins over 3 ranked teams including a dismantling of Syracuse on the road (technically neutral site but it was played in New York) a win over a top ten team in Michigan and another road win against a team playing for the Big Ten championship in NorthWestern. So blame the greedy Men working for Notre Dame but don’t take it out on the kids

I am 97% Sure...

Nov 30, 2018, 3:27 PM

They will not give us the luxury of playing ND. They will jump OU to #3 and let Bama boat race ND forcing us to face the Kyler Murray show.

Playing ND would be like gravy!

Plus don’t we goto South Bend in 2019? We can rub it in a little...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am 97% Sure...

Nov 30, 2018, 4:59 PM

If okla jumps to number 3 it will be because they earned it by beating a top 15 team and winning their conference championship. It will have nothing to do with giving bama an easier game.

I’m with Daboallin on this one.

Nov 30, 2018, 3:30 PM

I don’t care about your money or independence, you have to join. It’s like Obamacare. It’s the law.

Or it was ... not really sure anymore.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Nov 30, 2018, 3:31 PM

I agree, but I am thrilled they will be there. If Bama wins we likely play ND. It's working out well for us.

Nov 30, 2018, 3:50 PM

Where ND is ranked currently is fine...my rub

Nov 30, 2018, 4:38 PM

Is they should not be ranked higher, regardless the outcomes this weekend...well, unless absurd chaos. To be bumped higher is rewarding the lack of a 13th game...and perilous to those who do play this weekend.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. 12-1 is better than 12-0.

Nov 30, 2018, 4:34 PM

As ND gets to rest an extra week and they get to pick who the cupcakes they play from the P5s and only chose to play one less than anyone else as they are wessels. Wessel into the playoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree. 12-1 is better than 12-0.

Nov 30, 2018, 4:46 PM

Everyone will have plenty of rest. That said, what about possible injuries too?

Nov 30, 2018, 4:43 PM

Not arguing, but what is the difference between Notre Dame and Bama who hasn’t played a road out of conference power 5 school on the road in years. Florida hasn’t played an out of conference power 5 school outside of Florida in forever. The real problem is scheduling and uniformity. Some base guidelines need to be established and transitioned in over the next several years if a team wants to compete for the CFP. Notre Dame’s schedule has been as tough as anybody’s. Since they are undefeated they are in.

Message was edited by: baker5801®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2018, 4:48 PM

It's money and ratings period

and ND gets them both

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think you're seeing the whole story.

Nov 30, 2018, 5:18 PM

ND didn't choose between greed and independence, ND gets both. They get a nice chunk of playoff money whether they made one of the PO bowls or not. They displace an ACC team if they rank higher and qualify for a PO bowl and if they get to seed in the PO final four they get to keep every penny the/those bowl(s) appearance yields.

The shame was when the NCAA rolled over like a slut and allowed ND to screw everyone else. ESPiN sold the nation on a flawed system which was revealed last year when the POC selected two teams from the same conference and again this season when they will include ND.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This ^^^^^^^^***

Nov 30, 2018, 6:51 PM

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic