Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Really good climate article
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Really good climate article

Nov 25, 2019, 8:29 AM

This sums up my opinion of the majority of climate change activists quite well.

It seems that most of them don’t understand that a large portion of the population doesn’t respond well to alarmism and hyperbole, and yet that’s the marketing tactic they continue to specialize in.

It’s nice to read a rational discussion in the topic. Solving and/or alleviating this issue begins with acting like rational adults.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/11/25/why-everything-they-say-about-climate-change-is-wrong/amp/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Goverment policy that incents R&D, technology & market based

Nov 25, 2019, 10:40 AM

solutions has historically proven effective in promoting science and engineering advancements.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

scare tactics that induce moral panic

Nov 25, 2019, 11:12 AM

tend to backfire and actually end up slowing human progress.

People are just tired of being lied to all the time by authority voices barking their over- caffeinated advice and self-righteous edicts from every corner. It comes from all layers of government, Wall Street, health care, and to a degree, science.

Which brings us to Elon Musk. Does anyone really think his products are helping to save the planet? Now he goes out and designs a truck with a stainless steel body because during some post-apocalyptic vision he has had we will want it to be bulletproof. This would require a much heavier carbon output as opposed to something like kevlar. So he is the perfect example of someone who talks big about first principles, but in the end is just a self-righteous showman out to make a quick buck like everyone else, while our sycophant culture anoint him as a climate hero and savior.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who has annointed him a "climate hero and savior"?

Nov 25, 2019, 11:47 AM

I hear him being called a "kook" more than anything else. Did you see his new truck?

I did a 2 second google, and anything I see about him being a "savior" of anything is from 5 years ago when he was becoming more well known. Certainly a smart guy. but he has an enormous ego and has a large propaganda machine behind him, but past that, he doesn't seem that wonderful.

Re: Who has annointed him a "climate hero and savior"?

Nov 25, 2019, 12:56 PM

He is all that. And he often fails bigly.

His "bulletproof" truck was supposed to have unbreakable windows, for instance, and so a guy threw metal balls at them, and broke them both. Oops.

The reason for the stainless-steel body, though, wasn't to make the truck bulletproof - though it had that effect - it was actually weight reduction. It's essentially an exoskeleton that replaces the vehicle frame.

And at the end of the day, the crazy stuff he comes up with usually ends up working - eventually. But it is seldom a comfortable or predictable ride for his shareholders, either.

Re: Really good climate article

Nov 25, 2019, 12:12 PM

The big problem is the invective on both sides.

Climate change isn't going to be, on its own, Apocalyptic, though what some worry about is what's called a "cascading system failure"...one breakdown leads to another and that in turn sets off this, and then that, and so on....

Mostly what it does is create a mess. It messes up crop plantings, creates extremes in weather - cold as well as hot - and will likely lead to the creation of "superstorms" - possibly even a permanent storm system in the Pacific that could throw off "daughter" storms that careen all over the Pacific Rim, doing billions in damage along the way, and it would also increase the preponderance of tornadoes in the Midwest. I saw some climate models that indicated we could even see a potential F-6, which up until now is a just-theoretical storm system that would scour a swath a mile across down to the bedrock. If there's a city in the way - like, say, Oklahoma City - big chunks of it might not be there anymore.

Flooding and drought could also be substantial problems.

The other thing the math says is, the Earth isn't "doomed" in twelve years, but unless we get below certain thresholds - the research says 2 degrees C - we're definitely going to see what that "next level" looks like, and it's going to be substantial. And a 3-degree or 4-degree hit could see some really bad effects that sound a lot more than inconvenient.

So pretending there's no problem isn't smart either. Neither is the other argument advanced by the climate-change deniers (which you would think would seem contradictory even to them!), which is: well, it's just too big a problem, there's nothing we can do. So why bother?

Okay. So how, then, do we stop it? Yeah, in a straight-line extrapolation, we're buggered, and buggered pretty bad. By 2100 the planet is basically on fire. But human progress also never moves on a straight line, and there's a myriad of inventions coming down the pipe that will likely slash our net carbon emissions measurably over the next decade.

So trendy causes aside, actual modern society couldn't really afford to "think Green" - what are we supposed to do, using power, or eating food? - until cost-effective alternates appeared. But those inventions are clearly coming - I've posted about a couple of them just recently, including an AI-controlled solar smelter, and a "glass" solid-state battery that's anywhere from 2.2 to 5 times better than lithium-ion - that are on the very near horizon, and for every innovation we know about there's ten more we haven't heard of yet.

People, at the end of the day, are clever. Give an engineer a purely mechanical problem and it gets fixed.

We're politicizing something that really isn't political, IMHO. This is far more a science-and-technology problem than a political one...and as I said, give the scientists and engineers time, and it'll get solved...and probably sooner rather than later.

It became political when the idea of raising taxes and

Nov 25, 2019, 12:34 PM

sending that money to 3rd world countries was going to be the fix.

Re: It became political when the idea of raising taxes and

Nov 25, 2019, 12:43 PM

sending that money to 3rd world countries was going to be the fix.

So fight the stupid politicking.

Don't fight the science.

The facts - the real facts, not the hug-a-tree alarmism of the left or the bogus oil-company-sponsored denial science of the right - are what we need.

This is why I hate it when politicians try to solve science problems. Would you take a bullfighter out of steerage and tell him he needs to come fly the plane now?

Nov 25, 2019, 3:46 PM

"Science" is meant to be fought. Disproving current scientific thought is the whole purpose of science.

Nov 25, 2019, 7:18 PM [ in reply to Re: It became political when the idea of raising taxes and ]

There is no science behind this religion. None.

That's just it.....

Nov 25, 2019, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Really good climate article ]

"By 2100 the planet is basically on fire."

No, it's absolutely not, and by writing 10 paragraphs (btw, no need to new paragraph after a single sentence) about being even keeled and then casually dropping that is just putting you as part of the problem the article outlines.

The planet's not going to be on fire. Things could be different, less desirable, but we aren't going extinct. We need to do these things because they're the right thing to do, in a way that makes sense, but aside from being 126 years old in 2100, I would otherwise be just fine to step outside and take a stroll.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's just it.....

Nov 25, 2019, 1:12 PM

Obed said:

"By 2100 the planet is basically on fire."

No, it's absolutely not, and by writing 10 paragraphs (btw, no need to new paragraph after a single sentence) about being even keeled and then casually dropping that is just putting you as part of the problem the article outlines.

The planet's not going to be on fire. Things could be different, less desirable, but we aren't going extinct. We need to do these things because they're the right thing to do, in a way that makes sense, but aside from being 126 years old in 2100, I would otherwise be just fine to step outside and take a stroll.

I am taking a deep breath because you are being a serious jerk here.

Note the single sentence up above. Deal with it, you smug #$%%#$...{tantrum redacted}

I AGREE WITH YOU. And yes, the "planet being on fire by 2100" is an exaggeration, meant to be flippant.

Maybe.....maybe,

Nov 25, 2019, 1:14 PM

but I try to be a loveable jerk.

I'm the lovable one.

Nov 25, 2019, 1:15 PM

Stay in your lane.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

favor....

Nov 25, 2019, 1:23 PM

I was going to just drop in the youtube link of the guy trying to write with your pen and scribbling really hard and then saying with great disgust "NUTHIN!!!', but I can no longer find the video. Can you send me the link so I can file it away for future moments where I can use it?

TIA KTHNXBYE

OMG I JUST GAVE US OUR 89000TH POINT!!!

Nov 25, 2019, 1:25 PM

WE WORKED SO HARD FOR THIS!

Re: I'm the lovable one.

Nov 25, 2019, 2:06 PM [ in reply to I'm the lovable one. ]

See this is you being a bully.

I keed. I keed.

Winky dinky.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Really good climate article

Nov 25, 2019, 11:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Really good climate article ]

Your first couple of paragraphs could pass as verbatim from Arrhenius in 1920 or Plass in 1955. Modern climate change alarmists have just piggy backed on their thoughts. A lot of other science is out there if you care to look.

Message was edited by: orangecoloredglasses®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2019, 12:39 PM

Koala bear for the win!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

need to acquire greenland

Nov 25, 2019, 2:30 PM

asap

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YOU HAVE STOLEN MY RETIREMENT!***

Nov 25, 2019, 2:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hyperbole eh?

Nov 25, 2019, 6:41 PM

kind of like when Hannity tells his viewers that liberals are trying to ban hamburgers, our Potus claiming wind turbines cause cancer?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic