Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is tonight’s win due to good coaching?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 70
| visibility 1

Is tonight’s win due to good coaching?

Feb 12, 2020, 11:04 PM

Asking for a friend.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Is tonight’s win due to good coaching?

Feb 12, 2020, 11:06 PM

I love it! Judge with the mic drop ??????

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is tonight’s win due to good coaching? Good shooting

Feb 12, 2020, 11:07 PM

and good game plan. ND game was poor. Simms was not an excuse. We still should have beaten them at home

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2020, 11:10 PM

We should have beaten ND by 20. Makes a difference when we are making free throws and hitting our open shots. Imagine if we had an even more post threat inside. That would really open things up alot for this team. I say again that's why it's critical we get Jemison work and developing him. Kid at 7ft is a weapon if we can teach him to shoot free throws and develop a soft touch

Feb 12, 2020, 11:13 PM

He is a long way from either right now

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2020, 11:09 PM

Lol!

It’s crazy how good a coach looks when the team makes shots!

What a dominating game, and a sign of things to come. This team is incredibly fun to watch when we are clicking and playing with confidence.

The Simms Dawes combo is going to be beautiful next year.

Great win.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2020, 11:13 PM

Simm Dawes combo is going to be a lot of fun for sure. Throw in Trapp, Hemenway, Hunter, Newman and others. Jemison's continued improvement. Good things to look forward to.

Feb 12, 2020, 11:09 PM

Gonna be a slow night on the board tonight with a win. Haters got to sleep early tonight.

Feb 12, 2020, 11:12 PM

Nope one hater still here. Happy birthday Jeff ??????! Courtesy and regards Brad Brownell ??

He should make them shoot 3's like that

Feb 12, 2020, 11:14 PM

every game. We'd have a lot better record

Ha ha! So true!***

Feb 12, 2020, 11:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Hopefully he will.

Feb 12, 2020, 11:20 PM [ in reply to He should make them shoot 3's like that ]

:)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

If he's as good a coach as some say

Feb 12, 2020, 11:23 PM

this should be an epiphany for him.

He'll probably go back to the "let's don't make so many

Feb 12, 2020, 11:28 PM

shots" offense next game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

DRad should tell him not to do that***

Feb 13, 2020, 8:03 AM

Feb 12, 2020, 11:19 PM

Win is due to making 3’s. Plain and simple.

Feb 12, 2020, 11:24 PM

Asking for Visio....?

Visio?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you really bragging about being 12-12 sitting at home

Feb 12, 2020, 11:26 PM

in March?

LOL...

Re: Are you really bragging about being 12-12 sitting at home

Feb 12, 2020, 11:27 PM

We won....
Nuff said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That settles it...Extend his contract!***

Feb 12, 2020, 11:34 PM

Re: That settles it...Extend his contract!***

Feb 12, 2020, 11:36 PM

Or, celebrate a nice win.

Who said I wasn't happy for the win?

Feb 13, 2020, 1:32 AM

You can be happy about our team winning and still know Brownell has been a failure at Clemson. And this at a time when the ACC is as bad as I can ever remember it. We are only sending 3 teams to the NCAAs.

Re: Who said I wasn't happy for the win?

Feb 13, 2020, 6:14 PM

You, when you responded to a comment about a Clemson win with your opinion of the coach.

The best 12-12 team in northeast Pennsylvania!***

Feb 12, 2020, 11:29 PM [ in reply to Are you really bragging about being 12-12 sitting at home ]

No, I'm not bragging about a win because I didn't

Feb 13, 2020, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Are you really bragging about being 12-12 sitting at home ]

have anything to do with it. I am happy about our win though. Wins should always be celebrated.

Since you couldn't tell, my post was tongue-in-cheek because all we've seen here lately is post after post talking about how the coach is responsible for players missing shots and not executing. Thus, isn't he also responsible when they do make shots and execute?

that didn't take long***

Feb 12, 2020, 11:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2020, 11:43 PM

No!

Good win Hemenway on fire and stupid coach pulls him out! We hit 3 s and ft s had nothing to do with coaching!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2020, 11:57 PM

golfer23 said:

No!

Good win Hemenway on fire and stupid coach pulls him out! We hit 3 s and ft s had nothing to do with coaching!

You’re right. We should have played him all 40 minutes! What was dum dum Brownell thinking?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly this! NO! What was great about Brad tonight?

Feb 13, 2020, 1:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Is tonight’s win due to good coaching? ]

I'll tell you what was great - Alex Hemenway and having Amir Simms back. Guys made shots. That's not credit to Brad. We played good defense. Does Brad get credit for that? No, but he deserves some. The zone was working so we stuck with it. The zone hinders an aggressive driving team. Is that an ingenious decision? No.

Did you all of a sudden forget about the 4 game losing streak? It only just ended tonight. We're now 12-12 on the season. Let's see if we can string 2-3 more wins together.

Re: Exactly this! NO! What was great about Brad tonight?

Feb 13, 2020, 1:31 PM

Who were the four teams we lost to (prior to this game) during that four game losing streak? Asking for a friend.

Feb 13, 2020, 5:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Is tonight’s win due to good coaching? ]

golfer23 said:

No!

Kinda stupid like you, I guess.

Feb 13, 2020, 6:59 PM

????????

So good plays are due to players and bad plays are due

Feb 13, 2020, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Is tonight’s win due to good coaching? ]

to the coach.

Got it.

Feb 12, 2020, 11:48 PM

Maybe you should give up on him before every game.

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

I haven't given up on him.

Feb 13, 2020, 4:06 PM

Doesn't change the fact that I'm open to making a coaching change after this season if we have the chance to get a generational coach who we feel strongly can make us a consistent winner at or near the top of the conference, and keep us there.

I don't think we can find that coach, because I don't think he would want to come to Clemson and I don't think our administration or fans would want us to do that due to commitment involved. But I want to be great in basketball badly enough that I would certainly support that move if it were an option.

That's just good business, just as it's also good business to see how things play out with Brad this year and next before rushing to fire him not long after finally giving him what he'd been asking for for years.

Re: I haven't given up on him.

Feb 13, 2020, 4:31 PM

So Brad Brownell is definitely not a generational coach?

And also, what makes you so sure Coach Brownell would actually stick around if a big offer came his way? Barnes left for Texas. Depaul might not be a huge name but they made Purnell one of the best paid coaches in the country at that time. Nothing he has done here would have attracted the attention of any major programs. The Sweet 16 was nice but after 7 years absent from the tourney it wasn’t going to attract any big names. We have no idea whether he’ll actually stay if he has sustained success so that seems like a flimsy reason to hang onto him.

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

I don't know if Brad would stay here if he received

Feb 13, 2020, 4:46 PM

a big offer elsewhere. I do know that he loves Clemson and plans to stay here.

Purnell obviously wasn't happy at Clemson, didn't feel that he would remain successful at Clemson, or a combination of both. Otherwise, he would've met with TDP and given Clemson a chance to make him an offer to stay. He wouldn't have accepted the DePaul job without having that conversation first.

Barnes was seemingly in the same boat as Purnell. He left for Texas, supposedly without giving Clemson a chance to keep him. If you're happy, and if you see good things ahead for you in your current position, you simply don't just leave.

I don't think Brad would do that if another big job was offered to him.

Feb 12, 2020, 11:58 PM

The 12 wins are good coaching and the 12 Ls are bad coaching. Seems to me that we have a mediocre coach.

Feb 13, 2020, 12:04 AM

If he's really your friend, then just call him by his name, Brad.

Good win tonight. Didn't get to watch but the score says it all.

However I feel this same thread will last for a few days and make an appearance again soon.

Either way, my feelings about whether he should be retained or not haven't changed. Nothing personal against him, I just feel like it's a stagnant program that needs a kick in the balls to get it going. I dont fall into the we cant win here crowd. It can be done on a consistent basis if the right guy is at the helm. And no I dont have names as I dont follow the college coaching circuit as I do football, but I believe the right is out there .

Go Tigers

This post wasn't about whether we should keep him

Feb 13, 2020, 4:07 PM

or fire him. It wasn't about whether people think he is a good coach or not.

It was a tongue-in-cheek post about whether the coach gets credit for a good coaching job when we win, since he (according to T-Net posters) deserves the blame when we lose.

Feb 13, 2020, 12:22 AM

Asking for a friend.

Talk to me again at the end of the season when he’s actually won something.

Did you ever get around to answering my questions

Feb 13, 2020, 4:08 PM

in the other thread? I haven't had a chance to check again...

It was one of the few games in which

Feb 13, 2020, 5:03 AM

the 3-pointers actually found their way into the hoop.

Happy for the win, but let’s look at the big picture.

No one suggested that we not look at the big picture.***

Feb 13, 2020, 4:09 PM

I don't know.

Feb 13, 2020, 7:13 AM

Did we have a substitute coach tonight?

Feb 13, 2020, 7:19 AM

Guessing the folks hating on CBB are the same ones who wanted Batson fired because his methods were outdated, said Jeff Scott did not know how to coach receivers because Nuk was the only one with talent and thought Dabo interferes too much with the offense because he had never been an OC

Feb 13, 2020, 7:21 AM

User Logo
jstone D329
Orange Blooded [2345]
TigerPulse: 96%
Posted: Feb 13, 2020 7:19 AM

Guessing the folks hating on CBB are the same ones who wanted Batson fired because his methods were outdated, said Jeff Scott did not know how to coach receivers because Nuk was the only one with talent and thought Dabo interferes too much with the offense because he had never been an OC

ding ding ding

You could have taken the high road...

Feb 13, 2020, 7:33 AM

But nooooo...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Why would I take the high road?

Feb 13, 2020, 4:10 PM

I'm clearly not here because I'm trying to get people to like me. :D

Nice flip flop...

Feb 13, 2020, 7:34 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/I-am-open-to-making-a-coaching-change-now-1979206?tstart=60

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Huh?

Feb 13, 2020, 4:13 PM

I merely asked if tonight's win was due to good coaching, because I've read so many posts here reminding us that the coach is ultimately responsible for the outcome of games. It's a fair question, and also a post that people with a sense of humor could appreciate.

My post said nothing about my thoughts regarding the job Brad's done this year or over the course of his career at Clemson.

The post you smugly linked to, in a lame attempt to show that I contradicted myself, actually has nothing at all to do with this post.

You appear to be a fair weather fan...

Feb 13, 2020, 5:30 PM

that’s all. We lose to Wake, you’re ok with firing CBB, we beat Pitt, you hop back on the bandwagon. It’s a fair observation, nothing more, nothing less.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

If you're all giggly about winning a game we are supposed to

Feb 13, 2020, 7:42 AM

every-now-and-then, then enjoy your party;

but some of us--and apparently a lot more than I realized--are hoping for more from our program.

We were a 3 1/2 point dog last night.

Feb 13, 2020, 7:43 AM

So how were we supposed to win?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

It's sad that you can't even enjoy a win and be happy

Feb 13, 2020, 4:14 PM [ in reply to If you're all giggly about winning a game we are supposed to ]

for our coaches and players.

Winning should be fun! And like it or not, it's only fair to praise the players and the coaches for a job well done when the team wins.

I'm sorry you aren't able to do that.

Feb 13, 2020, 7:52 AM

I didn't get to watch - was that the Lakers or the Bucks we spanked last night? Whichever it was I'm sure we'll have to battle that juggernaut again in the national championship game later this year!

Just kidding, it was a good win no matter the competition. Hope we can build on it.

No. Next question ?***

Feb 13, 2020, 8:06 AM

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

So since you say we won in spite of coaching.

Feb 13, 2020, 4:15 PM

Do you also believe that we can lose in spite of coaching?

No. Anyone else ? Ok - good night. ***

Feb 13, 2020, 11:56 PM

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

It's stupid posts like this that

Feb 13, 2020, 8:28 AM

make more and more T-Netter's dislike you Karen!

Was tonight's win due to coaching.....partially is the answer. It's not a full yes and it's not a full no.

Was the Wake Forest Loss due to coaching....Yes! Brownell did not put the players in a position to succeed with the offensive and defensive game plan.

The End

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Do you believe that all losses are due to coaching?***

Feb 13, 2020, 4:16 PM

I do not,

Feb 13, 2020, 4:20 PM

I listed 2 examples of bad coaching, in my opinion, that cost us. There are definitely games we should've won if the players did their jobs but you can tell when they are put in position to win and don't versus when they are not put in position to win.

Wake was clearly one of those and there have been others

Do you believe bad coaching doesn't cost us games?

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

I think games can be won or lost due to coaching

Feb 13, 2020, 4:51 PM

and I also think games can be won or lost due to player performance.

I'm glad I'm not judged in my career on the collective performance of 18-22 year-olds.

No. Good shootimg for a change.

Feb 13, 2020, 1:37 PM

Brownell is doing just enough to not get fired. Teams have to have a non-losing record to make the NIT. That means 4 more wins with a 0-1 ACC Tourney and 3 wins with a 1-1 ACC Tourney. Does anybody see 3 or 4 wins left in the regular season? I don't.

You typically need way more than a .500 overall record

Feb 13, 2020, 4:16 PM

to make the NIT these days.

This isn't your Cliff Ellis era NIT.

When any team is 13-22 on threes, they are hard to beat.***

Feb 13, 2020, 1:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I realize that the players making shots was the reason

Feb 13, 2020, 4:18 PM

why we won. My post was supposed to be humorous, since there were many posts lately talking about the coach being the one responsible for the outcome (typically in reference to us losing).

A lot of people here are evidently too serious to appreciate the humor.

silly question - yes - and - no

Feb 13, 2020, 4:24 PM

simply winning a game or even losing a game does not make a coach good or bad. same with a team.

what does define a coach is how they have progressed over time - on average. sometimes a step back - sometimes a step forward in the micro - but the macro has to move forward.

are we better than 10 years ago as a program? results, recruiting, seats filled, engaged fans and students?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about if Brad

Feb 13, 2020, 6:35 PM

would sit down the one's that miss all the time? That would be good coaching

And replace them with people who rarely miss shots?

Feb 13, 2020, 10:55 PM

I wonder why he hasn’t done that by now?

Feb 14, 2020, 7:53 AM

Bottom line: Because of poor coaching / recruiting / etc., we must "Live by the 3, and die by the 3". It's that simple. And since there is no other way to win (unless the other team is having their worst year in history), we should not expect to win very often against teams that have more than one way to win a game.

Replies: 70
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic