Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is there really any justifiable reason...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 3,805

Is there really any justifiable reason...

Nov 30, 2020, 8:51 AM

for Clemson to play FSU at this point?

Clemson currently sits in 2nd place in the league standings at 7-1 with one game remaining (at VT). Miami is currently 3rd at 6-1 with three games remaining (at Duke, UNCheat and Georgia Tech).

Miami was originally scheduled to play Wake Forest but the game was cancelled due to COVID. Instead, Miami will now play Duke on 12/5. Miami has not played since their 11/14 game at Virginia Tech.

Miami then plays UNCheat on 12/12 and possibly GT on 12/19. However, Miami would only play Georgia Tech if they are not playing in the ACC championship game which, of course, is also scheduled to be played on 12/19.

So...let's assume Clemson beats VT and Miami beats both Duke and UNCHeat. Clemson and Miami both have 8-1 conference records with Clemson holding the tiebreaker, so Clemson would face ND in the conference championship game on 12/19.

Would the league possibly force Clemson to play at FSU on 12/12 particularly considering that Notre Dame is also scheduled to play at Wake on 12/12 so Clemson would not have two-weeks to prepare to face ND again in the ACCCG?

Thoughts?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

If Swoffie and the ACC force the CU-FSU game on 12/12, it

Nov 30, 2020, 8:54 AM

dayum better well be in DV, unless FSU foots the bill.

Really, I don't think the chicken-noles want to field a team at this point to avoid being embarrassed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

They couldn’t force the Noles to play us a week and a half ago.

Nov 30, 2020, 8:58 AM

I doubt they would force the issue now. The way I see it we showed up to play, got sent home and therefore have no obligation to play FSU this year at all much less in Tally.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They couldn’t force the Noles to play us a week and a half ago.

Nov 30, 2020, 9:00 AM

Miami won't beat UNC I don't think.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, there isn't.***

Nov 30, 2020, 9:01 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

wouldn't they have one more win than Clemson?

Nov 30, 2020, 9:12 AM

Clemson currently sits in 2nd place in the league standings at 7-1 with one game remaining (at VT). Miami is currently 3rd at 6-1 with three games remaining (at Duke, UNCheat and Georgia Tech).

So Clemson would finish the season 8-1 if they beat VTECH and forego FSU.
Miami would finish 9-1 if they beat Duke, UNC, and GT.

Yes we would hold the tiebreaker to UMiami but there wouldn't be a tiebreaker because they have one more win that Clemson. So technically i would think we would have to play that 10th game to match our other ACC brethren.

and why would they even want to play an extra game against Duke if they didn't have to?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In a kind & loving way - this has been covered on here 106

Nov 30, 2020, 9:23 AM

times . . . .

The deal states that in order for the normal tiebreaker rules to kick in, all teams involved have to play within 1 game or more of the league average.

So with the crybaby-noles only playing 2 conference games (I'm kidding) - and everyone else playing 8 or 9 or whatever - the average number of games played is 8.47.

It gets rounded down to 8.

If you played 7 games or more, you are in the tiebreaker without regard to winning percentage.

We would go to the championship because we beat Miami head to head.

HAPPY MONDAY - - - - - G O T I G E R S ! !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

thank goodness. Thats been bugging me for the last 3 weeks

Nov 30, 2020, 11:36 AM

appreciate the info.

Miami is scheduled to play GT the weekend of the ACCCG...

Nov 30, 2020, 9:23 AM [ in reply to wouldn't they have one more win than Clemson? ]

so effectively league standing are finalized following games played through the weekend of 12/12.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that doesn't matter either- as long as we play 1 more game,

Nov 30, 2020, 9:44 AM

we will have played enough to qualify for the ACCG and uneven # of wins wouldn't matter anyway as we'd win the head to head tiebreaker based on being tied in the loss column. I could still see us with a game on the 12th for league revenue purposes though

The league loves to kiss Notre Dames a$$...

Nov 30, 2020, 9:49 AM

I cannot envision a scenario where Clemson does not play on 12/12 (which effectively gives Clemson an extra week to prepare for the ACCCG) while Notre Dame faces Wake Forest on 12/12.

Either the league will cancel the ND/Wake game or Clemson will be forced to play a conference opponent.

Re: The league loves to kiss Notre Dames a$$...

Dec 1, 2020, 12:57 AM

Plus, wouldn't Miami insist we play another conference game on 12/12. If we were to lose (I know, not likely), we'd have 2 ACC losses and if Miami wins out they would only have 1 conference loss. Wouldn't Miami go to the ACC Championship game instead of Clemson in that case?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The league loves to kiss Notre Dames a$$...

Dec 1, 2020, 8:30 AM

So, where would the power of this insistence come from?

Swoffie?

If my calculations are correct

Nov 30, 2020, 10:02 AM [ in reply to that doesn't matter either- as long as we play 1 more game, ]

I don't think we even have to play 1 more game.

We've played 8. That means that to be ineligible we'd have to be more than 1 game less than the average number of games played by ACC teams (rounded to the next integer). So to be ineligible ACC teams would have to have played on average 9.5 games.

Right now the average is 8 (60*2/15). To get to a 9.5 game average 72 ACC games would have to be played. Right now there are 15 outstanding ACC games, and we are involved in 2 of them (CLEM vs FSU and CLEM vs VT), so that brings that down to 13. And there are 2 scheduled for 12/19 that BY RULE are not used in the rankings used to seed the ACCCG. So that means the number of games used to rank the ACC teams prior to the ACCCG that we are not involved in is 11. As such, we are eligible and will be eligible no matter what happens.

It's all within our control.

we would still have the tiebreaker over Miami in that

Nov 30, 2020, 9:40 AM [ in reply to wouldn't they have one more win than Clemson? ]

scenario- tied tin loss column goes to head to head if you've played enough games to qualify for the ACCG and at 9 games we would(not about playing the same # when head to head is involved). That said- why would they force us to play Duke let's say? so that Duke gets 10 games and more importantly 5 home games from a budget standpoint. UL is also another possibility but that's a more expensive trip but would allow Wake-Duke to be able to reschedule their game for 12/19 as that game is currently off the books

Re: Is there really any justifiable reason...

Nov 30, 2020, 9:15 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Nov 30, 2020, 9:22 AM

We will probably not know if we have a game on 12/12 until after the 12/5 games.

The game does not have to be vs FSU.

Nov 30, 2020, 9:34 AM

My guess is if the ACC requires Clemson to play a game on 12/12 whether that's FSU, Duke, or another team that it'll be more about television revenue than conference standings.

Nov 30, 2020, 9:53 AM

Yes, promoting literacy and social distancing is the most important thing we can do at this time:

Nov 30, 2020, 9:55 AM

With Wake having a COVID cancellation I believe the most likely scenario now appears to be giving Clemson and ND the 12/12 date off.

The ACC can pair up as many other teams as possible that weekend to get games on tv.

There is no scenario where either Clemson or Notre Dame loses before the ACC title game that helps the ACC.

Rather than getting creative to find Clemson an extra game and having an extra chance for one of the teams to lose, it makes more sense to let them both have the week off.

Agreed !!!***

Nov 30, 2020, 10:08 AM

Nov 30, 2020, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Is there really any justifiable reason... ]

Agree with this, but don’t think any ACC team would beat us at this point. Duke or Louisville? That’s not going to be competitive.

I prefer 12/12 off to prevent injuries and limit our covid risk heading into championship season. Also gives another week for nagging injuries to heal. Skalski, Davis et al will be sharp playing Pitt and VT, then have two weeks to rest before ND.

Nov 30, 2020, 10:10 AM

Absolutely! To beat the ever loving #*%& out of them!

Nov 30, 2020, 10:14 AM

TV contracts and $$$

Clemson is currently 8-1.***

Nov 30, 2020, 11:58 AM

Clemson's conference record is 7 - 1***

Nov 30, 2020, 12:30 PM

Dec 1, 2020, 8:43 AM

One word: No.

FSU administration made an idiotic decision to cancel the game with Clemson. They actually had the media on their side, ignoring facts and cherry picking sound bites to put a pro-FSU spin on the decision.

Then, just one week later, FSU administration doubled down and made an even more idiotic decision. It's like they were thinking, "Hey, if we do this again, the media will praise us and give us the Jimmy V award for courage, and the selection committee will put us in the playoffs. The only thing else we can do is recruit a sprinter from the women's track team and let her return a kickoff. We'll do that on December 12th."

Dec 1, 2020, 8:55 AM

Only to receive the beating they so richly deserve. But in reality ..... NO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 3,805
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic