Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is the SEC actually "overrated"? I don't think so.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

Is the SEC actually "overrated"? I don't think so.

Nov 24, 2019, 1:09 PM

Allow me to advance a heretical idea: I actually do think the SEC is indeed, as advertised, the overall the best conference in football...and LSU/Alabama/Georgia actually do indeed all at least belong in the playoff discussion.

We just don't think so...mostly because we've gotten used to watching Clemson.

Those teams, frankly, don't look particularly imposing by Clemson's standards. But that's just because we look like one of those schools that you've been playing for six months on Dynasty Mode on those old NCAA Football PlayStation games right now. When you compare the SEC squads to the rest of the country you see, clearly, just why a middlin' good (by SEC standards) Auburn could beat Oregon...even with true frosh Bo Nix taking his first-ever college snap at QB for Auburn. There's a gulf there in athletes.

With Clemson in a bye week and the nasty weather, I found myself stuck inside and bored out of my mind...and so I watched a lot of non-Clemson college football yesterday. I was kind of...taken aback. It's really not good out there...or at least, Clemson has accumulated so much talent the gulf between us and everybody else looks like a chasm right now.

Ohio State and Penn State, obviously, was interesting (and left with the measured impression OSU is walking into their third straight beatdown against Clemson.) But then I watched Arizona State/Oregon and then part of Utah/Arizona last night...and the thing that jumped out at me was how uneven the talent was across all four rosters.

They are...not great. (Though I like Utah. Big. Ugly. Physical. Funny-shaped.) And we are so spoiled.

The Pac-12 (and Big 12, but we've known that for awhile) are just...patchy, as is the bottom half of the B1G. But the top of the SEC - LSU/Alabama/Georgia/Auburn/A&M/Florida are indeed Top-25 caliber, and the top three of those - LSU/Alabama/Georgia - are better than that; they're legit Top-10 or even Top-5. Truth. They are that good...at least, compared to the Pac-12, Big 12, and bottom half of the B1G.

(The big problem with the ACC, by the way, isn't that ACC squads are bad. It's just that there's 13 of the 14 stuck in mostly 3-star Purgatory unable to separate from the others, and Clemson eats those solid-but-unspectacular squads up like s'mores.)

Because...then there's Clemson right now.

Did A&M really challenge us? Ever? Clemson didn't even play particularly well and still outgained A&M 389 to 289 - which was our worst offensive showing by a mile other than that UNC game where it barely looked where we got off the bus) - and A&M got the bulk of those yards in the fourth quarter, against our 2's and 3's...and their only TD with their starters still in with less than 10 seconds to go. Rock on, Jimbo.

You've gotta be careful with applying transitives to results, but Georgia did lose to South Carolina. At home. And A&M almost beat UGA yesterday, in Athens - the Aggies outgained them (get this!) 275 yards to 260, yeesh - but A&M struggled some against South Carolina, and lost a squeaker to Auburn. Auburn dropped close games to UGA, LSU (by just 3 points!) and Florida...who in turned lost to LSU by 14 and UGA by a TD...you get the idea. A muddle.

Whereas - in September, mind, where Clemson never looks all that great - we pretty much toyed with the Aggies. That game was in pretty much zero doubt throughout. And does anyone think South Carolina will give us any kind of game next week, if Clemson shows up at all?

Me either.

So...sorry. I actually do think the SEC is as good as is claimed. Mostly. What I personally think the media is collectively getting wrong, though, is that little ol' Clemson isn't just a contender...we're in reality at least 2 TD's better than any team in America (except maybe OSU) right now, and the methodical, developmental way that Clemson approaches its seasons and builds capability and depth (and avoids putting too much wear on tear on its starters) instead of posting lopsided scores tends to hide that.

Maybe even to us.

FWIW.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I

Nov 24, 2019, 1:13 PM

Do

Re: I

Nov 24, 2019, 2:29 PM

NWA. Not worth anything.

Need to see them play

Nov 24, 2019, 2:29 PM [ in reply to I ]

more quality opponents from outside their conference to know for sure.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

look... a quozzell post...

Nov 24, 2019, 1:15 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you’re being serious

Nov 24, 2019, 8:31 PM

How about you don’t fkn click on it.

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

sheesh - overreact ever

Nov 24, 2019, 11:01 PM

Quoz can defend himself if need be. It's okay, brother.

He's got the reputation for long opinions ... not that most of us mind ... we appreciate a well thought-out explanation.

But their still a bit long and the man was just pointing that out in a humorous way. So ... easy on the vitriol. It's gonna be okay.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

funny***

Nov 24, 2019, 10:59 PM [ in reply to look... a quozzell post... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Re: Is the SEC actually "overrated"? I don't think so.

Nov 24, 2019, 1:18 PM

Well said...best post I've seen on this, or any, message board in quite a while

I just don't like how the goalposts moved...

Nov 24, 2019, 1:24 PM

back in the day, the SEC was touted as the best because they won the BCSNCG every year. Nothing about the bottom of the conference mattered. Now that they aren't so dominant on that stage, it's changed to "top-to-bottom," and I'm not sure if that's true. Would you rather play in a conference where you have to get "up" for two or three big games in between a bunch of creampuffs like the Mississippis, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina....or a conference where on any given week the team across from you can beat you if you don't bring your best game?

Same thing in the Big Ten the media loves so much. The bottom of that conference is pathetic and toothless. Is anyone really impressed by Ohio State beating Maryland by 60? Does anyone really think we wouldn't do the exact same thing? Penn State is a "top ten" team because they play three real games a year and then feast on bottom feeders. Their game against Pitt shows they'd be mired in the muck of the ACC, too if they had to play Va. Tech, Virginia, etc.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I just don't like how the goalposts moved...

Nov 24, 2019, 4:34 PM

"The bottom half of our conference is much better than the bottom half of your conference"-doesn't seem like an achievement worthy of praise or held in high esteem,

Imo, the BIG is the best this year, but the SEC

Nov 24, 2019, 1:25 PM

usually is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’d have to disagree with you there my friend

Nov 24, 2019, 3:48 PM

SEC 1
BIG 2

Maybe we will get some good bowl matchups and find out for sure.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And SEC is not overrated just way

Nov 24, 2019, 1:27 PM

over--hyped.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's my problem with it...

Nov 24, 2019, 1:33 PM

The rhetoric that simply being in the ESH-EE-SHE elevates each club into an automatic world beater.

It's frigging ridiculous on the Columbia Gamecock station where everything is "All Hail the ESH-EE-SHE."

For example, it's littered into their vocabulary as if it's an actual FACT. Hear me out...

"Boy, the Vandy women's volleyball team sure put a whopping on..."
"Well, after all - they're an ESH-EE-SHE team, and who is better hehe..."

Let's go to extremes here.... this is precisely what makes them look incredibly stupid and gets my goat since they don't even realize how stupid they look. Let's take a peak into this exchange...

"Well, howdy! Did that chess match go over well for the other side? Boy howdy. But that's what they get for playing an ESH-EE-SHE club. Best ever!"

Point. Yep, Alabama, Georgia, LSU - good teams. ESH-EE-SHE teams. Why does that make Old Miss's Future farmers of America some of the best in the world??

THAT is what the rest of the country is sick of.

Re: Here's my problem with it...

Nov 24, 2019, 1:41 PM

Oh, yeah, as you and JosephG mentioned, they're massively over-hyped.

I don't think anybody disputes that at this point, it's why beating them never gets old.

I'm just saying, while, say, there are some wretched squads like Arkansas and Vandy in the mix, and there's plenty of mediocre ones like Ole Miss and Kentucky, there's some genuine quality at the top, too.

It just doesn't look very good from where Clemson sits right now. I don't think people yet realize that beatdown we put on Bama last year may not have actually been an aberration.

pretty sure overhyped and overrated are synonymous.***

Nov 24, 2019, 3:10 PM

Potato, potato ??***

Nov 24, 2019, 6:51 PM

Nov 24, 2019, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Here's my problem with it... ]

Great post as always q. I kinda got chewed last night for posting something similar. That all things play out as suspected, even if utes run the table, and LSU takes care of business against uga ... as well as bama beats awbarn rather easily, sad as it might be that a p12 champ didn’t make it in, I still think Bama would deserve the 4th spot circa 2017.

Why I feel that way? I’ve watched a few of the utes games this year and if I had to bet money, I’d have to bet it on bama head to head... wouldn’t you?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 24, 2019, 8:15 PM

I don't know that I'd bet on Alabama without Tua against Utah right now.

Utah's my dark horse. They're like Ugly Ohio State. They're actually still run by Kyle Wittingham, who was Urban Meyer's DC when Meyer was running Utah. They also still run a similar offensive scheme.

They just run it...uglier. That team is physical. It's built from the lines out, and they've got a strong Somoan contigent, along with a bunch of Frankenstein-looking dudes of every other persuasion as well. Their skill guys (except their RB) aren't all that impressive - mostly a bunch of oddball California kids who didn't get California-school offers for whatever reason - but Oh Man do they have some linemen on both sides of the ball and Oh Man do they have some brutes at RB and linebacker too. Their RB, Zack Moss, reminds me more than a bit of Todd Gurley. Big. Fast. Quick as a cat. Violent.

And they will flat-out club you upside the head for 60 minutes. It'd be intriguing, actually, to watch them get Ohio State in the opening round because I think they could well match up.

I think they could also beat Georgia right now. I really do. Georgia thinks they're physical. Utah actually is.

Mind, I don't think Utah is a lock to win the Pac-12...because they don't have Oregon's skill talent, and their ceiling is usually about 30 or 35 points a game because of that, whereas Oregon can put up 50 or 70 if they're hot because the Ducks do have explosive skill guys and a QB who can really fling it.

But if they make it to the dance - which if they go 12-1, they should - Utah could be a big spoiler to the ground-and-pound teams. They're the most physical team in the country right now.

Nov 24, 2019, 9:02 PM [ in reply to Here's my problem with it... ]

All sports exist because of FBProgram revenue(parasitical relationship), P5-Baseball programs claim surplus revenue, maybe like to see the #'s; Basketball rev in black is legit, but the 1&DONE rule dealt a serious blow-

Great post,good point on transitive prop unreliability****

Nov 24, 2019, 1:39 PM

Nov 24, 2019, 1:39 PM

Great well worded post! I agree with everything, but i just can't get behind the thought of Georgia being a top 5 team. They just don't look that great. Their D is good, but if the refs would of called obvious holding /PI penalties towards the end of that A&M game, I believe we wouldn't be taking about them again til next year. It definitely makes you think about somewhat fixed games.

Nov 24, 2019, 8:03 PM

I can’t either. Probably deserving of a 8-12 spot. There are imo several teams, Oklahoma, Wisky, Utah, Oregon that could hang with them. I do not understand fla being ranked near the top ten, and therefore don’t give as much weight to a quality loss against uga.

Bama, imo deserves to be 4 now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good read!

Nov 24, 2019, 2:00 PM

NM

I do think the SEC is the best conference overall.

Nov 24, 2019, 2:00 PM

I don't think they are THAT much better. Sure, if you put LSU or Bammer in the ACC, they'd mop up, just like Clemson. However, I think Florida, Auburn, and UGA would all be challenged and would not destroy everybody. Beyond that, Tenn, Ole Miss, Vandy, Ark, and the rest would fit right in with Wake, VT, Pitt, UVA, Louisville, etc.. The SEC gets a boost every year in the rankings by starting off with several highly ranked teams, which creates a self-perpetuating false reinforcement as they beat each other.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Nov 24, 2019, 2:03 PM

I believe most of us would admit that those SEC teams at the top are very good but when our rival, the Gamecocks and much of the media wants to include every team in the conference as a top dog merely by association, we get a bit tired of hearing this story on a daily basis.

Clemson has shown the world that a team can rise to the top but in the process we unfairly suffer because of the stigma attached to the lack of national success of the other 13 teams in the conference. Perception plays an important role in the rankings as evidenced by those teams with a history of success always being in consideration for who is in and who is out of the playoffs. Clemson is gradually gaining respect in the football world due to our success in the playoffs. We have not been a one-year Cinderella team that disappears, we have been there for four years and have two national championship trophies to show for our efforts.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 24, 2019, 2:26 PM

All true. I just think the media's still playing yesterday's game.

I do not think it has settled in - even among Clemson fans - just how far ahead Clemson is right now.

Of course, anybody can beat anybody on any given Saturday and Clemson could stub their toe this very next week and find a way to lose in Cola, or we could have a bad day in the playoffs like we did against Bama in New Orleans a couple years back.

But I think if Clemson plays to its ability everyone might end up being a little shocked how the end of this year goes...because other than OSU - or maybe LSU, if Joe Burrow stands on his head - can remotely stand up to Clemson right now.

Nov 24, 2019, 2:41 PM

"All true. I just think the media's still playing yesterday's game"

So you do think, as a whole, the SEC is overrated?

Nov 24, 2019, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Is the SEC actually "overrated"? I don't think so. ]

"All true. I just think the media's still playing yesterday's game"

So you do think, as a whole, the SEC is overrated?

I agree, Q-man

Nov 24, 2019, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Is the SEC actually "overrated"? I don't think so. ]

The media is playing yesterday's fiddle. And even that wasn't a Stradivarius.

Nov 24, 2019, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Is the SEC actually "overrated"? I don't think so. ]

College football dynasty requires coaching disparity, quarterback play disparity and Player talent disparity. Probably no more than 12 to 15 teams now can compete in terms of player talent. After that it’s a matter of who has the best coaching and player development. And among those elite teams, the one with the elite quarterback play is at a large advantage.

In the absence of elite quarterbacks, it’s just coaching and overall talent.

DW4 and TL16 give us a huge advantage.

The SEC will have the largest number of teams that compete in terms of overall talent. But notice that they win championships with Steve Spurrier, urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Cam Newton etc. to take them over the top.

At present Clemson has the clear advantage over everyone in terms of overall talent, player development, quality coaching, and quarterback play. Really hard to beat it and I agree with Quozzel, the 44-16 beat down was not an aberration.

The problem with the SEC is their zero challenge

Nov 24, 2019, 2:38 PM

out of conference schedule. When they do play a P5 team, they're average. Yes, Alabama beat Duke. Clemson pounded ATM, UNC beat USC when they were healthy. The echo chamber that is the SEC strength of schedule is nonsense, and why SEC frequently means Suddenly Exposed Conference when bowl season rolls around.

Any prognostication about the league is pointless until rivalry week, and the problem with that this year is GT and FSU are not a challenge to anyone, so the numbers will remain skewed until the end of December.

I also watched the Pac 12 games - heres what I noticed....

Nov 24, 2019, 2:53 PM

The Pac 12 has a tremendous lead in the Cheerleader department...good gracious.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I also watched the Pac 12 games - heres what I noticed....

Nov 24, 2019, 7:03 PM

Yeah. I saw that too.

What A-State and Oregon lack in athletic talent...they more than make up for in hotties.

C'Mon guys - Our Rally Cats...

Nov 24, 2019, 10:11 PM [ in reply to I also watched the Pac 12 games - heres what I noticed.... ]

are really impressive to start the 4th quarter. Really hot and electric!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do. Let me explain.

Nov 24, 2019, 2:58 PM

Quozzel - it's "overrated". It's overrated because when people speak of the SEC they speak in terms of "this collective" of great teams. That is clearly and abundantly clear to not be the case.
Probably the best conference because of their top tier teams - "i would go along with that"! I do not subscribe to the best conference in terms of "the collective of great teams"!

You give credit where it is due. I will do that. But, when Miss St is getting ranked and has 4 losses(years past) or other sec teams! It is disgusting because people have put them in a box because of the conference patch on their jerseys. The product on the football field can be hot garbage and still - "they get the benefit of the doubt"! This is where people say it's overrated.

That example and the pre-season bias! A bunch of ranked teams getting credit for beating ranked teams - doesn't matter if both are overrated - they played a ranked team! Garbage.
Let's say - kill any pre-season rankings and only have rankings of any kind until the committee picks it's top teams! I feel you would start getting a much different perception "OVER TIME"! Wouldn't happen immediately!

nailed it***

Nov 24, 2019, 3:12 PM

Re: I do. Let me explain.

Nov 24, 2019, 4:57 PM [ in reply to I do. Let me explain. ]

Amen!

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: let's not forget the 'purpose' of the CFP

Nov 24, 2019, 3:08 PM

(Other than making money), the ostensible purpose of the CFP was to remove most of the subjectivity from naming the champion of FBS. No, we (P5 conference commissioners) don't want a true 8- or 16-team playoff that would create havoc with bowls, traditions, existing schedules, (did anyone even suggest classes?), and trading a precious home game for a bunch of poorly attended neutral site playoff games.

By simply adding one layer to the previously existing BCS, they accomplished three major goals: they increased the $ pot for the P5, reduced the legitimate complaints about subjectivity by at least 50% (simple math), and made it exponentially more difficult to win the championship for smaller one-year wonder programs.

As Dabo says, at the start of every season only 12-15 teams have the potential talent, coaching and depth to go to the CFP. Probably 4-6 of those teams are from the SEC.

The SEC coaches are of necessity building their programs to sustain the competitiveness to win multiple games vs. quality opponents. However, this is also creating a greater disparity between the Haves-Have nots. The SEC Haves are sucking all of the oxygen--or in this case 5 and 4* players-- out of the recruiting classes just like John Wooden used to do in basketball. Bama, Auburn, and UGa squander enough talent to replace 90% of Wake's roster. Every year 10+ SEC programs are in the Top 30 recruiting classes. (So most SEC teams underperform by ending up ranked outside the final Top 25 rankings.) The median recruiting class in FBS at #65-66 usually signs no more than 12 3* players; the rest of a class that averages 22 players must be overachievers that get 'coached up.'

And then the SEC-based talkers have the audacity to bring subjectivity back into play in order to get more teams into the CFP--and money out of it.

It's still a national sport, and a national championship. If you want the blue ribbon at the state fair to mean more, you have to allow the whole state to compete for it. Otherwise, It Just Means Less. Not More.

Re: let's not forget the 'purpose' of the CFP

Nov 24, 2019, 9:42 PM

The 4 Team Playoff is perfect in it's current form & it has served us well. Difficult to comprehend how a rational thinking Clemson fan can speak ill of the CFP & cheer for expansion & to what end?

You're making the same mistake ESPN Hosts do...They can be

Nov 24, 2019, 3:20 PM

the best conference and still be overrated...It's not mutually exclusive

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ed Zachary.***

Nov 24, 2019, 3:57 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Nov 24, 2019, 5:46 PM

Quoz .... I think that was an excellent analysis. Fans, especially those in the SEC tend to forget however that the ACC is comprised of some traditionally very strong, teams ..... Miami, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, of course us, and a bunch of teams that occasionally have been in the conversation .... Virginia when George Welch was coaching there, North Carolina several times, NC State. Of course we have Wake Forest who has traditionally struggled but have been decent from time to time, like this year. Boston College ... pretty darn good from time to time.

The SEC has Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Mississippi (yeah I remember the Johnny Vaught years), Kentucky, who have been cellar dwellers for much of their existence. All but Vandy and Scar, and UK have had a flash or two, but certainly not thought of as powerhouses traditionally. You also have to remember when some of them were powerhouses, the same narratives that we see now were going around. Until UGA played Michigan State in the early 60's, southern teams just did not play north of the Mason Dixon line. Traditionally, other than Alabama and LSU, teams like UGA, Florida, Auburn, Missouri, Tennessee are no more traditional powers than our top-middle teams.

The SEC folks and their minions like to only pick dates that are advantageous to their argument when talking about their teams and their conference, but when we do that, "last year isn't relevant" ..... "the last four years aren't relevant" ....... "who cares about five years ago" ...... yet how may times to we hear about Bamas National Championships. How are they relevant now?

I think most fans just want a level playing field and of course the media is not interested. All we can do is keep kicking their butts and re-setting the clock every year since prior years apparently mean nothing .... if you are an ACC tyeam.

Wake has a fairly recent confrence championship and went

Nov 24, 2019, 6:19 PM

to a BCS bowl

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wake has a fairly recent confrence championship and went

Nov 24, 2019, 8:29 PM

Yeah I know .... the Orange Bowl. I'm talking about traditionally good programs. I like Wake a lot, but they are not a traditional powerhouse.

Nov 24, 2019, 5:53 PM

quozzel said:

Allow me to advance a heretical idea: I actually do think the SEC is indeed, as advertised, the overall the best conference in football...and LSU/Alabama/Georgia actually do indeed all at least belong in the playoff discussion.

We just don't think so...mostly because we've gotten used to watching Clemson.

Those teams, frankly, don't look particularly imposing by Clemson's standards. But that's just because we look like one of those schools that you've been playing for six months on Dynasty Mode on those old NCAA Football PlayStation games right now. When you compare the SEC squads to the rest of the country you see, clearly, just why a middlin' good (by SEC standards) Auburn could beat Oregon...even with true frosh Bo Nix taking his first-ever college snap at QB for Auburn. There's a gulf there in athletes.

With Clemson in a bye week and the nasty weather, I found myself stuck inside and bored out of my mind...and so I watched a lot of non-Clemson college football yesterday. I was kind of...taken aback. It's really not good out there...or at least, Clemson has accumulated so much talent the gulf between us and everybody else looks like a chasm right now.

Ohio State and Penn State, obviously, was interesting (and left with the measured impression OSU is walking into their third straight beatdown against Clemson.) But then I watched Arizona State/Oregon and then part of Utah/Arizona last night...and the thing that jumped out at me was how uneven the talent was across all four rosters.

They are...not great. (Though I like Utah. Big. Ugly. Physical. Funny-shaped.) And we are so spoiled.

The Pac-12 (and Big 12, but we've known that for awhile) are just...patchy, as is the bottom half of the B1G. But the top of the SEC - LSU/Alabama/Georgia/Auburn/A&M/Florida are indeed Top-25 caliber, and the top three of those - LSU/Alabama/Georgia - are better than that; they're legit Top-10 or even Top-5. Truth. They are that good...at least, compared to the Pac-12, Big 12, and bottom half of the B1G.

(The big problem with the ACC, by the way, isn't that ACC squads are bad. It's just that there's 13 of the 14 stuck in mostly 3-star Purgatory unable to separate from the others, and Clemson eats those solid-but-unspectacular squads up like s'mores.)

Because...then there's Clemson right now.

Did A&M really challenge us? Ever? Clemson didn't even play particularly well and still outgained A&M 389 to 289 - which was our worst offensive showing by a mile other than that UNC game where it barely looked where we got off the bus) - and A&M got the bulk of those yards in the fourth quarter, against our 2's and 3's...and their only TD with their starters still in with less than 10 seconds to go. Rock on, Jimbo.

You've gotta be careful with applying transitives to results, but Georgia did lose to South Carolina. At home. And A&M almost beat UGA yesterday, in Athens - the Aggies outgained them (get this!) 275 yards to 260, yeesh - but A&M struggled some against South Carolina, and lost a squeaker to Auburn. Auburn dropped close games to UGA, LSU (by just 3 points!) and Florida...who in turned lost to LSU by 14 and UGA by a TD...you get the idea. A muddle.

Whereas - in September, mind, where Clemson never looks all that great - we pretty much toyed with the Aggies. That game was in pretty much zero doubt throughout. And does anyone think South Carolina will give us any kind of game next week, if Clemson shows up at all?

Me either.

So...sorry. I actually do think the SEC is as good as is claimed. Mostly. What I personally think the media is collectively getting wrong, though, is that little ol' Clemson isn't just a contender...we're in reality at least 2 TD's better than any team in America (except maybe OSU) right now, and the methodical, developmental way that Clemson approaches its seasons and builds capability and depth (and avoids putting too much wear on tear on its starters) instead of posting lopsided scores tends to hide that.

Maybe even to us.

FWIW.

Get a hobby

shat that was a TD***

Nov 24, 2019, 6:09 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 24, 2019, 5:55 PM

If you go undefeated, conferences don't matter. Our team is better than their team, usually to the tune of 20+ points. That is all.

Nov 24, 2019, 7:21 PM

The past few seasons and bowls have proven you wrong with ACC vs SEC head to head ......with ACC at least even or better in these matchups........but facts don’t matter when you are talking about the SEC does it.......ESpN controls the various polls and the selection committee with their FAKE NEWS Narrative from start to finish these days and friend you have definitely over-looked this fact ......Go Tigers!!!!!

Whateva man***

Nov 24, 2019, 8:00 PM

Nov 24, 2019, 9:58 PM

As well thought out and accurate post in my opinion. We dont have to like it, and it hasnt been true every year, but the top half of the SEC does appear to be better than the top half anywhere else. The bottom half however is pretty bad imo. Vandy, Chickens, Arky, Mizzou, UT and the Mississippi squads all kinda stink. A&M and Flardah are decent to good. LSU, Bama and Jawga are elite level, and frankly that is two more elite teams than the ACC has, as well as the Big10. I do think any of the top 3 could beat OSU, and I think Clemson will if we end up matched. I'm not in the camp of OSU stinks, but until they beat a Southern team, I will have doubts.

Bravo

Nov 24, 2019, 11:32 PM

Well-written and thought provoking.

Agreed. The top teams in the SEC are always among the best in

Nov 24, 2019, 11:44 PM

the nation. That's been true since I've been watching college football, which goes back to the late 60s. The SEC may not always have the best team, but you can count on them having a couple that are in the conversation. And the bottom teams may suck, just like any any conference... but the "middle teams" are typically tough outs.

The biggest problem most folks have is how the SEC dingleberries ride the coattails of the good teams. A crappy team is a crappy team, and you don't get any better by association. Looking at you SCAR.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Nov 27, 2019, 8:47 AM

So let me get this right...because Clemson breezes through the ACC then the ACC is bad...SEC is good at the top...not great because the SEC is beginning to look like the BIG12...all O and no D...Clemson breezed through the greatest team in the history of the SEC last year in the playoff...so be beat ND by 27 (pundits said ND did not belong) then beat the BAMA by 28 and actually pulled up at the end or it would have been 35 (just enough to win the turkey)..so we had little trouble (X Syracuse) in the ACC and less trouble with the SEC! Sometimes Georgia just sucks when playing football and Florida barely beat Miami this year (Miami should have won) LSU lets a ladies school (Ole Miss) put up 500+ yards on them...the trouble is that sometimes we keep listening to those who have the job to make the SEC look great...Flybum, Timmy Teabow, & other sEC mouthpieces...go watch some film on Vandy, MIsery, Kentuck, Tenn, Ole Miss & Young Miss & of course ChicFilA...Auburn always seems to look half baked & Aggies will be Aggies...where is your indignation man...UsC beat Georgia at home this year..and neither team looked worth a crap...the SEC beats the pac 12...they may be better than the Big 10-11-12...the north of the S&W line conference has Ohio State and the ACC has some dogs (sorry UGA) If we had a bottom bowl game I would put GaTech & Syracuse up against Vandy & Misery any day! These are kids playing football and the key is coaching...Clemson has the best coaches in the country...I will bet cash on that one!

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic