Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is the Chad Morris saga an object lesson for Brent Venables?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Is the Chad Morris saga an object lesson for Brent Venables?

Dec 15, 2020, 9:47 AM

Even if Brent Venables was ambitious for a head coaching job (it appears he’s not) having followed the Chad Morris journey has to give him pause.

Don’t you think?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Chad leaving for SMU seemed like a good move...

Dec 15, 2020, 9:50 AM

he probably wishes he had stayed there

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: The Chad leaving for SMU seemed like a good move...

Dec 15, 2020, 10:00 AM

A couple more years at SMU and Morris would be the headliner option to replace Malzahn at Auburn.

Instead he is likely praying that he can either keep his OC job at Auburn or he he will find himself job hunting for the second time in as many years.

True. And SMU was practically home for him, correct?***

Dec 15, 2020, 10:01 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: True. And SMU was practically home for him, correct?***

Dec 15, 2020, 10:07 AM

It was in his home state, but I'm not sure how close Dallas is to where Chad actually spent much of his life.

Re: The Chad leaving for SMU seemed like a good move...

Dec 15, 2020, 10:46 AM [ in reply to The Chad leaving for SMU seemed like a good move... ]

No. My guess is he is pretty happy. He has expanded his bank account by many more millions than he would have had he stayed at Clemson as OC. That said, he certainly would have more hardware had he remained at Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes.

Dec 15, 2020, 9:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Especially in these uncertain times, Coach Venables seems

Dec 15, 2020, 9:53 AM

happy living by the old adage

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Re: Is the Chad Morris saga an object lesson for Brent Venables?

Dec 15, 2020, 9:54 AM

Don't think Brent wants to leave. Otherwise he would have taken the K State job.

Dec 15, 2020, 10:01 AM

But then he would have had to live in Kansas again!

Dec 15, 2020, 10:02 AM

Perhaps, but I doubt it. Every coach is different in terms of what their end game is and what timeline they foresee for themselves. Morris was wired from the start to get a head coaching job, took the first decent one that came his way, then took the first power 5 gig that came his way. Unfortunately for him, the Arkansas move backfired and now his head coach just got canned and probably put him out on the street again. He'll have to try to restart it from a mid-major gig or maybe a coordinator job at a power 5, but his star isn't shining like it was when he helped turn our offense around.
The Morris/Malzahn system isn't the innovative thing it was ten years ago. We've seen Chip Kelly not come close to duplicating his Oregon success at UCLA so far.

Chip Kelly at UCLA has got to be an even more disappointing

Dec 15, 2020, 10:16 AM

big name hire than Harbaugh at Meechigan. At least Harbaugh has most of his problems against 0310 State, Kelly at UCLA can't seem to beat anybody.

Re: Chip Kelly at UCLA has got to be an even more disappointing

Dec 15, 2020, 10:37 AM

76er® said:

big name hire than Harbaugh at Meechigan. At least Harbaugh has most of his problems against 0310 State, Kelly at UCLA can't seem to beat anybody.

Eh the P12 isn't a bunch of bottom feeders - they have some solid teams and UCLA has to go H2H with USC in that region for recruits. Arizona State is on the rise, Stanford has continued to be solid, Washington and Oregon are usually top 25.

Are they competing for playoffs and championships often, no but the P12 ain't no slouch.

If anything, UCLA was near the bottom when CK took over. Though, I'm a little surprised at him not having more success offhand too, since CA has a ton to offer in homegrown and attracting top recruits. I have read reports that this may just be a bad fit in reality for both sides.

And of course, CK may just be past his prime ??

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No.***

Dec 15, 2020, 10:09 AM

Dec 15, 2020, 10:11 AM

Maybe, but Chad Morris made a fortune and made way more than Venables. I personally would rather have Venables life though. I would never leave Clemson unless Dabo retired and something drastically changed and he wasn't offered the HC job. Other than that, I would retire as a Clemson coach.

Dec 15, 2020, 10:20 AM

If may end up being an immediate money vs a longevity thing in favor of Venables if the Chad can't get things turned around.

Dec 15, 2020, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Is the Chad Morris saga an object lesson for Brent Venables? ]

I just think Venables is happy while Chad is probably pretty miserable in spite of the money.

Brent is at the top of his chosen profession of coordinator, while Chad is pretty much a has-been as a head coach.

Dec 15, 2020, 10:39 AM

Who knows how happy Chad is? We wouldn't. I am sure losing sucks for him, but who knows about his general happiness. He will get another chance to coach though. I personally would take Venables life any day though.

The Chad came here from Texas

Dec 15, 2020, 10:14 AM

Once he got here, he always wanted to go back to Texas. He got back to Texas. Then he left Texas again, and has been gradually making his way east ever since. The Chad seems confused.

Oh No, another Hanging Chad!

Dec 15, 2020, 10:18 AM

I would have said that is as low as the Amurican election process could sink, but then, we had this year. *Sigh*

He's never been in a position longer than 5 years...

Dec 15, 2020, 10:19 AM [ in reply to The Chad came here from Texas ]

All that moving makes my back hurt . . . . what a pain. But

Dec 15, 2020, 10:38 AM

nomads are nomads and I definitely didn't get ANY of the nomad gene.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Dec 15, 2020, 10:32 AM

No. Brent doesn't want to deal with donors and admin. In the business world it's like realizing you are an operation person and a better COO then CEO because you don't want to deal with all the BS.

But you have an amazing CEO who allows you to run your area without being micromanaged. Sure do you entertain the thoughts of running your own stuff one day? Yeah, but only if the exact right situation came around and everything lined up.

Dec 15, 2020, 10:37 AM

I see Coach BV as having the Billy Beane philosophy. "I made a decision one time for money and it didn't work out. I'll never make a move for money again." Or, something like that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As much as we like to think its the Coach that makes all the

Dec 15, 2020, 10:43 AM

difference in well run programs, its the culture that actually sells the school and sustains success. A small amount of schools have it ingrained in their system and it doesn't matter the coach but most need that boost in culture change. Its taking care of the student athlete's future through setting high attainable expectations in their education and building on their work ethic all while scheduling out their football responsibilities and giving them goals that set them up for success not failure. The old school way was sink or swim method. You can have the best playbook in the world but if you can't plan and manage the student athlete these days..you'll get punched in the mouth and wonder why you can't get ahead.

Which is why DABO is invaluable. What he did well was change the culture of his coaches and his players to set them up for Success and not failure. OVER and OVER you'll hear him say "we don't care about wins and losses as much as we care about playing to a standard." We hear that and gloss over it but that is his mission statement and it works because if you lose but lose doing all the things right then you'll still feel accomplished. BTW..we don't lose very much do we? The other thing he has that he can point to his success is the one he thanks in all these celebratory postgame interviews. Without that i'm sure none of the other exist.

I’d like to see Chad come back to Clemson

Dec 15, 2020, 10:43 AM

Chad left on good terms with Dabo. I hoped he made it but bumps got in the way. I would like to see him come back to Clemson under some title in the Clemson football program. Let’s face it Elliott wants to be considered for a head coaching position somewhere in the P5.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’d like to see Chad come back to Clemson

Dec 15, 2020, 10:52 AM

I don't think Clemson should have Chad back in the OC role under any circumstance.

For one, I think we have improved in terms of making adjustments in game from when he was here.

I think the bigger reason however is that it kills the growth of the position coaches.

If Elliott leaves then I think Streeter is the choice for OC.

Grisham is also a coach who is not yet ready but seems to be well on his way to moving up the ranks.

I like the idea of putting coaches in place who will make slight adjusments to the "Clemson system", but keep things rolling in the same direction.

Let's face it, Chad brought the spread to Clemson but what we run now has moved pretty far away from how he tries to run his offense.

I don't think anyone wants him to be OC.............

Dec 15, 2020, 1:51 PM

But he has been a coach long enough to have some great ideas. He would be a great analyst or position coach. I'm not saying I want him but he could fill in if we needed him.

Re: I’d like to see Chad come back to Clemson

Dec 15, 2020, 7:43 PM [ in reply to Re: I’d like to see Chad come back to Clemson ]

I agree.

Dec 15, 2020, 7:51 PM

No. Fck him..

The annoyance and distraction from him every year about being a head coach was annoying. I don’t miss him at all and glad he’s gone. We haven’t seen a WR throw a pass since...unless Dabo was calling the play.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic