Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is stability in the coaching staff always a good thing?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Is stability in the coaching staff always a good thing?

Jan 12, 2021, 6:50 PM

We have been blessed over Dano’s tenure to have relatively low turnover. While continuity helps recruiting and builds chemistry among the staff, does our level of stability in the staff have potential downsides?

I heard today that Bama’s 2020 coaching staff included ZERO coaches who were on staff for their 2017 championship. Turnover has forced Saban to study coaches, and bring in guys with different backgrounds and fresh ideas. Some work, some don’t.

Now, LSU is the opposite side of the coin. Too much turnover over too short a period has them in free fall.

Whaddya think? Is some turnover actually good?

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is stability in the coaching staff always a good thing?

Jan 12, 2021, 6:55 PM

Getting Bill O’Brien as OC can never be a good thing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 12, 2021, 6:59 PM

Stability among the coaching staff is very good, look at the results over the last 12 years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2021, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Is stability in the coaching staff always a good thing? ]

I think it's a good thing when it comes to recruiting.

You need to get the players here who can make a difference for your team on Saturdays. So from that stand point it's good.

I think said differently what you are talking about is: "loyalty"! Is Dabo so loyal to guys on his staff that he won't light a fire? Is he so loyal that he won't pull the hook on someone who isn't up to par at their position group?
The Kevin Steele firing was an easy one as he didn't seem to have an answer for the spread at the time and offenses were moving toward that! Napier same way as he saw the up tempo offenses taking over and scoring points as if nothing else being a huge recruiting tool for explosive WR's and good QB's.

IDK! It's the same way at many of our jobs, right? Some people are in positions because of who they are friends with. But, as far as the job, you could do better!

Shake up bad. IDK; but shake up because it's needed "is never bad and most of the times people know it's coming"! In the event shake up is needed.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2021, 7:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Is stability in the coaching staff always a good thing? ]

Why? He’s always been thought of as a good OC. There’s a lot of difference in being just an OC and being a head coach and GM. His biggest failure was as a GM IMO.

Jan 12, 2021, 9:26 PM

You think a good offensive mind trades away Nuk for nothing in return?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 12, 2021, 7:08 PM

Yes. Some turnover can be good, as long as it is the right kind of turnover. The game changes and staff with familiarity with new trends can help a team. I think our defense has to learn how to deal with up-tempo "sugar huddle" offenses that limit our ability to set defenses. Just one area where some new eyes might help.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2021, 7:11 PM

I don’t think Bama is a goof example...

Nick Saban has been coaching for a long time and has numerous connections..

Few programs in the country can land the caliber of assistants that Nick apparently has on speed dial...

Jan 12, 2021, 7:11 PM

Good example...not goof example...

Jan 12, 2021, 7:42 PM

Not always. But, in the case of Clemson, yes it is.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama is not good example - while turnover - they

Jan 12, 2021, 7:54 PM

Have a group of coaches they call analyst who do a lot of work. By rule, they don’t actually coach players (which I don’t buy) - but Saben always has a couple of fired coaches working. With this many coaches, the turnover does not hurt like it would normal schools.

IMO anyway.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post. +1 prime example: Paul Johnson

Jan 12, 2021, 8:35 PM

Everyone knew the offense he was running year after year. In that case, turnover is good.

Some times fresh ideas are a good thing. ???????

I think you have to have good coaches to consistently win,

Jan 12, 2021, 9:50 PM

and those coaches have to have some desire for bigger things that keeps them motivated to work to win. Those things that make them good make them desirable to other teams, teams which can give them a promotion that maybe you can't due to stability. So some turnover is good. If you have lots of turnover, it may be a sign that the atmosphere you are fostering is not desirable in the long-term.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good question.

Jan 13, 2021, 5:59 AM

I don’t think there is a right answer to the question but there are right reasons behind each answer. Turnover = new ideas, schemes, and hunger to prove ones self while stability = well, stability.

For Alabama the turnover obviously hasn’t been an issue which makes me even more respectful of Saban’s ability to run a program. In our case the stability within our coaching staff is indicative of the culture Dabo preaches and practices. The risk, as you pointed out, is becoming one dimensional in scheming. I’m not a coach and don’t claim to be but it seems BV has been more apt at evolving with personnel than TE. I would like to see a few new looks in the offense. I can’t argue too much with RPO as it has worked well for us but I would like to see more set plays.

Jan 13, 2021, 10:49 AM

Brent Venables is the only coach besides Dabo who has been in his role longer than 6 years.

Are you suggesting that switching up philosophies and voices every 2-3 years would be better.

Elliott became OC in 2015 - 6 years

Streeter QB coach in the same year but took on a new title of "passing game coordinator" in 2020.

Grisham was a brand new coach this season.

Reed has been at Clemson a while now but had his role change from all DBs to just CBs a couple of seasons ago

Conn has only been coaching safeties a couple of seasons

Hall is only a couple of years on the staff

Bates is only a couple of years on the staff

I think people claim stability because Dabo isn't losing coordinators every season but there have been a lot of staff changes and role changes in the last 5 years that have certainly changed the way that things are done within the team.

Jan 13, 2021, 11:13 AM

Here is the trick, Alabama is STABLE.

Granted the assistants are rotating, but the head coach and system are rock solid.

The Saban system is all ab out plugging in amazing talent into defined rolls that is absolutely mechanical in its results. Insert top coaching IQ (Like Kiffin) with top recruiting talent, and get out of the way. Saban is plug and play with elite and he is his own control mechanism. It works around him because his "process" is core. The tough side, it also allows him to adapt. The Bama team can evolve as coaching IQ evolves.

It is also why his assistants are successful to a point. It works but without Saban at its core, it is always somewhat incomplete.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic