Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is Dabo crazy like a fox?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 4,953

Is Dabo crazy like a fox?

Dec 15, 2020, 10:43 AM

He had to know that the Nut Necklaces will use his rant about them only playing six games as bulletin board material. Is he really just wanting to get them SO riled up that they will let emotion overcome them, and deviate from a solid game plan, and open the door for us to take advantage of that? In my mind, it is a foregone conclusion that we will play them in the semis, assuming we take care of the Gomers this weekend. Dabo may well be playing Chess again while the rest of us are playing Checkers. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is Dabo crazy like a fox?

Dec 15, 2020, 10:50 AM

I've been scratching my head ever since he made those comments and wondered why he went down that road with the possibility we might have to play OSU. If so, it's bound to be posted all over their locker room. Maybe he's trying to get them wrapped around the axle.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 11:41 AM

I am glad I am not the only one thinking this way. Dabo used to be so good about avoiding the "rat poison" but this year for some reason he keeps commenting on every issue that comes up like he wants to be the villain. It just seems so out of character for him. He preaches to his team to let their play do the talking but he hasn't been taking his own advice lately. Maybe there is a rhyme to his madness but I think everyone has taken note of the change. Personally, I kind of like low key Dabo to the public and more intense Dabo in private with his team.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 11:45 AM

If the other situation you are referring to was after the FSU no-game, Dabo was clearly responding to people around the country saying that the Clemson program cares more about winning football games than taking care of its players.

He was speaking up to defend everyone from the players to the coaches to the medical personnel within the program.

He correctly painted FSU as the game dodgers that they were and they proved him right the following week by doing the exact same thing to UVA.

None of that was a quick reaction to a question.

It was all a very calculated response to the situation.

Dec 15, 2020, 12:48 PM

No, I was fine with the FSU comments although I do think he extended that conversation a little longer than it needed. His initial response was fine but he kept it in the news cycle with constant follow-ups for a few days which didn't seem necessary. I think some of the comments around both ND and Clemson being in the playoffs regardless of the outcome this weekend, taking on the SEC commish, Urban Meyer, paying athletes, social justice, ESPN analyst comments, etc. There are always going to be people taking their shots and having their opinions and some of that stuff you just have to let go or let others take some of the heat. Saban has learned to do it over time after he saw how many traps he was falling into and hurting some of the perception around him and his program. All of this goes with the territory when you are successful but you do have to manage it and pick your battles rather than trying to take every issue head-on. Dabo has enough on his plate without creating the added stress and scrutiny that comes with commenting on every issue he is asked about when most of these reporters are just setting him up for a juicy quote that they can take and run with.

Dec 15, 2020, 12:52 PM

As you said at the end there he is asked the questions.

Saying "no comment" and trying to move on will also get a rough reaction because the point of a press conference or interview is to answer questions.

Most of the stuff you mentioned is basically nothing that gets run wild because of his status in college football and compounded by the rapid nature that information can now spread.

Dec 15, 2020, 1:07 PM

All true, my point was that people have noticed a change in personality because it has become a topic of conversation in the media. I get the part about having to answer a reporter's question but in the past, he seemed to be more adept at handling it through humor and avoiding some of the landmines being placed out there, much like a politician responds to questions without directly answering things he doesn't want to address. This year he seems to be less concerned about the perception and people have taken note of that. I remember reading one article about Dabo becoming the most hated coach in college football which is not something you would have ever seen in the past. Again, some of it just comes with success but there definitely has been a change in the way he is responding these days, and that changes the perception of him as well. Unfortunately, the media shapes that perception which is why you kind of have to manage those responses unless you just no longer care about that.

Dec 15, 2020, 1:17 PM

I just did a quick search and didn't see anything about Dabo being the most hated coach in college football.

What I did see was an article from 2018 about Urban Meyer and Nick Saban being the most hated coaches in college football and the main reasoning is because they win and win and win some more and nobody can do anything about it.

Clemson has been beating everybody for too long now for Dabo to be beloved.

Dabo speaks to his team and his fan base through the media and he says what his team and his fans need/want to hear.

If his quotes have a little more edge to them this year, it's because he feels that is what is needed.

Dec 15, 2020, 1:28 PM

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2108800757250/klatt-getting-sense-dabo-swinney-becoming-public-enemy-no-1

Dec 15, 2020, 1:36 PM

First of all, the article is by Joel Klatt. You have to consider the source when you receive information. He isn't the best source for non-biased reports.

Second, even Klatt says that much of the hate that Dabo receives is because people don't like and want to tear down all of the good he has done.

He is saying that no matter what Dabo says that people are going to find a problem with it.

This was also written prior to FSU cancelling on UVA and almost everybody reversed course on blaming Clemson and realized what FSU was doing after they repeated their ridiculous decision making with game day cancellations 2 weeks in a row.

I feel that Dabo is one of the good guys in college athletics. There are a lot of bad guys in college athletics. There are also a lot of bad people who write about college athletics.

The good is always going to compete against the bad.

If nobody hates you, then you aren't making a difference.

Dec 15, 2020, 1:48 PM

I don't disagree with anything you said. Again, my only comment is that the approach this year seems a bit different than in the past and less emphasis on managing the persona that he previously created for himself. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation that others have noticed and commented on which I believe is what spawned the original poster's comment on it.

Dec 15, 2020, 7:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Is Dabo crazy like a fox? ]

An internet rant by a stringer on a fan website is not an "article"

Dec 15, 2020, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Is Dabo crazy like a fox? ]

I think this is one of those times where "bulletin board material" is overrated by fans. If a team can't be 100% as focused and motivated as humanly possible with a shot at playing for a NC on the line then they're already in trouble.

Dec 15, 2020, 10:54 AM

Dec 15, 2020, 10:55 AM

Probably doesn't affect anyone but the fanbase

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It won't matter...

Dec 15, 2020, 11:44 AM

OcryO State's secondary is a real weakness, so they can't sell-out to stop the run and force TL to beat then with his arm.

The Clemson offense will have a field day with the Bucknuts. If everyone is healthy, Clemson wins by at least two TD's.

Let them in the CFP. I have no problem kicking their a$$es again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: It won't matter...

Dec 15, 2020, 12:09 PM

Said the same thing yesterday. I’m ok going 5-0 against them. Looked to me like the Indiana pass rush rattled the Ocry0 St QB. Think what coach V and his gang will do to him....

Re: It won't matter...

Dec 15, 2020, 6:26 PM [ in reply to It won't matter... ]

BigCUFan® said:

OcryO State's secondary is a real weakness, so they can't sell-out to stop the run and force TL to beat then with his arm.

The Clemson offense will have a field day with the Bucknuts. If everyone is healthy, Clemson wins by at least two TD's.

Let them in the CFP. I have no problem kicking their a$$es again.

Bring Them On! Not because of what we have historically done against them. But, because they aren't ready!
A.I. said it in that famous interview. "They out there at PRACTICE"! "Practice"! Clemson playing games. Games against good foes. They out here just getting, "Practice"!

Plus, that secondary is suspect! And, they have not run it well outside of QB unscripted runs.

He also said they were good enough to win the whole thing...

Dec 15, 2020, 12:16 PM

...but nobody cares about that. He was speaking strictly to their resume and credentials to be considered for the CFP. And people don't like it, but he's right.

Not in this case. The press asked him a question and he

Dec 15, 2020, 1:01 PM

answered it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What’s weird is that everyone’s acting like Dabo said they aren’t good enough

Dec 15, 2020, 1:21 PM

to make the playoffs, and he said nothing of the sort. He said they hadn’t earned a spot for only playing six games.

It’s funny how people get so twisted up in perceived slights that don’t exist.

Regardless, I have no concern about BB material. It’s the playoffs, and we keep beating them. If they can’t get up for the game they aren’t the type of team that would make it there anyway.

null

While I would like to think that

Dec 15, 2020, 1:32 PM

I think it’s just more likely that although you can take dat boy out of AL, you just can’t take the AL out of dat boy...

Dec 15, 2020, 1:34 PM

First of all, Dabo is a great coach.
Second of all, Dabo is only human, like the rest of us.

If any of you don't like that Dabo HAS spoken out recently, then you should think again.

Over at least the last couple of years, he has been poked, prodded, and ridiculed about things when he makes comments. It has been done by the media, by opponents, and even by some of these 'so-called' Clemson fans. For instance, ESPN, loves picking at him about the "ROY" bus, about 'little ol' Clemson, etc. Those things people laugh at, and carry on.

Earlier this year, when it came to the justice and equality issues, he wasn't the first to speak out. Then, he was raked over the coals by many Clemson fans, "Oh my Gosh, Dabo needs to speak out! Why isn't he saying something, anything??!!" Then Dabo makes a statement, it's HIS words about how he feels. Next thing you hear from others is "Dabo is just wrong! He is a racist" blah, blah, blah!!!

Moving on to the 'criminoles', Dabo was completely within his right to be mad at that crap. Anyone that is a Tiger fan should have been just as mad!

I imagine he gets so tired of the public! He's darned if he does and darned if he doesn't!!!!!!
And I am somewhat surprised that some of you came on this page to basically say he shouldn't speak out about O-cry-O state.

Nothing he says is affecting them, Clemson has been living in their heads for almost a year. They have the final score posted in their locker room since we beat them!

If you can't say anything supportive about Dabo Swinney, then move on. NO, he isn't crazy - he might be as sly as a fox, but that is his business!.

Dec 15, 2020, 1:43 PM

No one is saying he shouldn't speak out. The comment was around what appears to be a change in the way he is responding this year vs. the past. He has been very successful through the years and has had to deal with tough questions before which he usually handled with the "aw shucks" humorous route that served him well. The perception in the media is that he has somewhat abandoned that style for the more edgy, direct approach which is fine but it does portray a different look and therefore, encourages a different perception than what has been attributed to him in the past. No one is saying that is necessarily right or wrong but the difference is clearly noted and has been commented on int he media this year more than in the past.

If Being 0-4 Isn't Enough To Motivate OSU

Dec 15, 2020, 6:37 PM

If being winless versus Clemson doesn't do it.
If Clemson being a key reason Two of there legendary championship coaches retired early doesn't do it.
If being boat raced and embarrassed in front of the whole dang world doesn't do it.
If Clemson having far prettier girls than in Columbus, OH doesn't do it.
If Clemson being a better place to live/work/get educated/etc. than OSU's area doesn't do it.
If J. Tressell hadn't looked the other way about free Tattoos.
If OSU having all those resources; yet still lose out to Clemson isn't motivation enough!

What will be? This comment by Dabo in short is the least of their little Buck Eye worries! If that is what it takes to for them to get up to play Clemson; they have already lost OP!

Dec 15, 2020, 1:36 PM

I think we all may be reading too much into it. I think it is as simple as Dabo being an honest man, who answers questions honestly. If the listener doesn’t like it, its of no concern to Dabo. I agree with some other posters that this specific comment didn’t disrespect OSU or suggest they weren’t a good, just simply stated his opinion that they had not played enough games to be considered for CFP over other teams out there (and likely reflects the opinion of the vast majority of the public).

In today’s world where only the ‘right opinion’ counts and any dissent is considered blasphemy or even ‘dangerous’, Dabo is a rare and refreshing bird. Keep preaching truth coach!

His job is to win championships

Dec 15, 2020, 1:53 PM

To win championships, you have to be in the CFP. I agree with Dabo that 5 or 6 games played should be a disqualifier. If he can convince the committee of this, then we would be in win or lose on Saturday.

I don't think he said it so much to stoke the fire with OSU as a potential opponent...I think he is coming from more of an angle that we should be in over them, should it come to that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 6:52 PM

He knows he has the best team in the country and doesn't care.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 7:37 PM

Coach is crazy smart. People smart. Great Coach. His comments about FSU administration, SEC commissioner and OSU schedule are new behaviors. He has always had administration handle those kind of things and behind closed doors. Coach loves Christ and would probably benefit from remembering Christ has his back. I believe all of this is result of incredible pressure on coaches - this COVID has ended up a monster. Here’s to a great finish for Coach, his staff and our players. Come first Wednesday in February, hope all our coaches disappear and recharge. Love our coaches and team!

Replies: 28
| visibility 4,953
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic