Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is ClemZen pronunciation some sort of dis?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Is ClemZen pronunciation some sort of dis?

Jan 24, 2019, 8:03 PM

I don't know what's so difficult... I can only believe it's done on purpose. Or is it a Yankee thang or what?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably our SID sleeping on the job.

Jan 24, 2019, 8:06 PM

Fix it dammnit!

Re: Is ClemZen pronunciation some sort of dis?

Jan 24, 2019, 8:08 PM

That is how other people talk. No dis.
How do pronounce Boston? Do you say it like someone from Boston does? No.
Is it a dis? No.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not a great analogy. Thats an accent, not a pronunciation.

Jan 24, 2019, 8:11 PM

It's more similar to someone saying Bozton instead of Boston.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Basstin... As a dis to them.

Jan 24, 2019, 8:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Is ClemZen pronunciation some sort of dis? ]

;)

Re: Basstin... As a dis to them.

Jan 24, 2019, 10:39 PM

although I am not a native Bostonian,i am married to one and have spent many years living there and visiting.real Bostonians pronounce their city's name pretty much like just about everyone else does:bosstun.the accent revolves around the pronunciation of the letter r which sounds like ah,so a car becomes a cah.harvard becomes hahvid and park is pahk or pok.there are also variations in the accent depending on where you live around the area.the origins of the accent may have been influenced early on by the heavy influx of Irish immigration.point of information-I do not live there now,and I also consider SC my adopted home state having spent many years living and vacationing there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Basstin... As a dis to them.

Jan 24, 2019, 10:44 PM

ps.it kills me as well when anyone mispronounces Clemson,especially when the z is thrown in,but I don't think it's a dis,but rather laziness in pronunciation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Great point.

Jan 24, 2019, 10:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Is ClemZen pronunciation some sort of dis? ]

Some people say Bah-stun. Other people say Baww-stin. Both are the result of dialects.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Clemson is a proper name.

Jan 25, 2019, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Is ClemZen pronunciation some sort of dis? ]

Educated people would only mispronounce a name from ignorance or spite. Those sumbiches have heard it said correctly enough to know how Tom's family pronounces it. Fu them and fu finebaum.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2019, 8:13 PM

Simple as ignorance to the correct pronunciation

Often times in pronunciation a s is pronounced as a “z” sound when immediate behind a word ending in b’s, d’s, m’s, L’s, etc(hard voiced letters). This is more common in words beginning with a “s” coming after words ending in these (hard voiced letters); however, the practice is easily carried over in mid-word two syllable pronunciations

Jan 24, 2019, 9:43 PM

TL / DU

too logical / didn't understand ( thanks for the effort to edumicate mez)

Jan 24, 2019, 11:22 PM

The word crimson is another good example

i think this ^^ is the best answer

Jan 25, 2019, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Is ClemZen pronunciation some sort of dis? ]

People don't know they are offending us

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It may be but it has nothing to do with proper names...

Jan 25, 2019, 2:08 PM

such as Clemson. You can pronounce ZZTOP as ezycrotch if it's your name. Only people with a name can say how it's pronounced so that grammatical horsechit doesn't won't float in this pond.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It may be but it has nothing to do with proper names...

Jan 25, 2019, 3:26 PM

When you aren’t familiar with a name and must pronounce it you use rules that you unwillingly learned(some didn’t) growing up, in school and by hearing others speak.

Yes those who are familiar pronounce it as we all do and know how to “Clem Son”. But the question was if it was a “dis” and it isn’t. It’s just people not being familiar and knowing the way to pronounce it; instead they use English pronunciation rules to guess.

Yes it’s a proper noun and the Clemson family decided how they want it said way back in the day, but outsiders don’t know that and just say it the way they were programmed too

Jan 24, 2019, 9:17 PM

If it's a dis, it's been going on for years. I used to get so mad after we won our first championship . I have just learned to live with it.

Half the people I know say WESSconsin too.

Jan 24, 2019, 9:31 PM

People are just people.

Jan 24, 2019, 10:28 PM

It's not a dis, and it's not a Yankee-only thing. Other Southerners omit the p and say the z (my father-in-law from west Tennessee, for one).

It still rankles me a bit, though, like when people (including Southerners) from other places say Appa-LAY-chin.

I prefer it to the redneck pronunciation Climpsun.***

Jan 24, 2019, 10:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I prefer it to the redneck pronunciation Climpsun.***

Jan 25, 2019, 7:57 AM

Now there's a dis.

Actually i use to work with a guy named

Jan 25, 2019, 8:14 AM [ in reply to I prefer it to the redneck pronunciation Climpsun.*** ]

Jim Clemson and it is pronounced CLEMp-son, no CLEM-son. So there is that. I always say if it is someone's name pronounce it as they do (ie Bret Favre), but that's just me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2019, 12:04 AM

I said Clemz'n myself for years before and after attending even with other family members attending before me. Never thought about it, just the way I said it. Like saying bay-zul instead of bay-sul in basal cell carcinoma. What makes less sense is when people say nucular instead of nuclear or larniks instead of larynx, but whatever. And if someone intends it as a slight then that's their problem if they're bothered enough by something to intentionally mispronounce it to try to make themselves feel better or to try to make someone else feel worse. Seems kind of pathetic if that's the case--probably not a happy person in general.

Jan 25, 2019, 8:10 AM

Why aren't we talking about the local enunciation of the Southern invisible "P" in Clemson or Clem(p)son? That's the only pronunciation I heard growing up around here.

Message was edited by: saddis56

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See my post above

Jan 25, 2019, 8:16 AM

where it should be pronounced CLEMp-son. I even heard an English teacher give a name to a letter that is pronounced but not there but I was no English major and cannot remember the term.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: See my post above

Jan 25, 2019, 8:58 AM

TU. Citizendium - English language invisible letters. A somewhat rarer phenomenon in English is the invisible letter, the opposite of a silent one, a letter which is pronounced but not written. There is an invisible internal "p" in Clemson (Clem"p"son) which is an awesome school and undefeated National Championship American football team.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2019, 8:08 AM

FWIW, Classical latin speakers had no "z" in their inventory of sounds, and so they in fact did put the "p" sound between "m" and "s", and we know this because they spelled it that way, e.g., Cicero: "aurum sumpsit" (where the p in sumpsit is totally secondary).

So, we're in very good company. And this would tend to disprove the redneck hypothesis.

Jan 25, 2019, 8:09 AM

I think when ESPN talking heads do it they mean it as a dis. They have been made aware numerous times that Clemson fans don't like it and a few continue to do it. If I pronounce something wrong and someone explains the correct way to say it I will make an effort to say it correctly just as a sign of respect. I think most people would, so thats why I think its a petty dis.

Jan 25, 2019, 8:19 AM

Fowler and Herbstreit say it correctly, don't they? Can't remember whether Rinaldi or Taylor do.

I remember the first time the "z" pronunciation registered with me, it was on the lips of Don Criqui, who did the play-by-play for the 1982 Orange Bowl. It really did come across like nails on a chalkboard.

Just change the spelling to clempsun***

Jan 25, 2019, 8:09 AM

Jan 25, 2019, 9:48 AM

I think ClemZen has a nice ring to it given the meaning of Zen - ultimate meditation. You should design the t-shirt. Its an attitude.

I guess you can say that Dabo preaches Clem Zen

Jan 25, 2019, 10:38 AM

It's the Dabo way to do things the right way. I like it!

Jan 25, 2019, 10:44 AM

One thing for sure......anybody that calls us ClemZen knows very little (and cares very little) about ClemSon......they are not ClemSon fans .......and we don’t need them or want them as fans........Go Tigers!!!!!!

Jan 25, 2019, 10:51 AM

I've heard ESPN announcers joke about this before on a Gameday broadcast. They know what they are doing.

I'm sure when it started, it was accidental. Then I think it turned into laziness, the same way if 1 person in an auditorium yawns, other people will also yawn.

When "Clemson....ing" reached its peak from 2008-2014, I think the announcers deliberately started saying "ClemZon", especially around the time the SEC Network launched.

I have noticed when they talk about Clemson football since we've won a few national championships, there has been a noticeable drop in using the "Z". Except for Paul Finebaum and the SEC network. Finebaum does it deliberately.

No but ignorance is

Jan 25, 2019, 11:07 AM

Diss.

I’m gonna open up a spa and call it Clem-Zen

Jan 25, 2019, 12:55 PM

In Clemson. Only 18+ females allowed. Starting pay for Rally Cat employees is $20 hr. How can I fail?

Jan 25, 2019, 2:21 PM

Dialect or maybe just laziness. The other night watching the Vandy-Tennessee game one of the announcers kept saying fow-wal when a player committed a foul. He turned a one syllable word into a two syllable word with a w. A fowl, still one syllable, is a bird. It was almost unbearable to hear. Equally as unbearable as Clempsun or Clemzon.

"CLEM" then "SON" what's so hard?

Jan 25, 2019, 3:33 PM

I assume 99.99% will pronounce CLEM the same way and 99.99% will pronounce SON the same way. So what's so hard about CLEM-SON. And if you say the syllables so fast that it comes out CLEMpSON then that's just fine. Do people really think the syllable break down on Clemson is CLEMS-ON?????

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic