Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ironic note about Levi Stadium on this signing day
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

Ironic note about Levi Stadium on this signing day

Feb 6, 2019, 6:53 PM

Something that I think I saw one person mention but did not see any TV coverage of during the CFP game festivities that to me should have been. An on this signing day it may be an even better note. While watching some of the videos about our win I saw that there is a statue outside of Levi stadium of a player catching a ball. That statue is of Dwight Clark who played for Clemson making what is referred to in 49'ers lore as "The Catch". While Dwight was a senior at Clemson he was a member of the team that included the great Jerry Butler who made the original "Catch" down there in coottown. I know very few of you youngsters know about that catch or that Dwight was not the outstanding receiver on that team. Just like so many of our signes today may not be five star recruits Dwight was not a highly sought after NFL prospect.

The story I have always heard is that the 49'ers were in town to look at Steve Fuller's arm strength and skills. Steve needed someone to catch the balls for him so he asked his good friend Dwight Clark to catch some passes that he was going to throw for the scouts. After a few passes the scouts started asking who was that catching those passes. Since Dwight was not a top NFL prospect the 49'ers were able to draft him an as they say the rest is history.

Just like that day with Dwight and how things turned out a lot of the players that we signed in this class are going to be the same. You can sign the five star recruits but all of them are going to play. I think we call all see this with the number of players transferring this year and last year when we were down to two QB's.

You have to have players at every position and as I have said before Dabo knows a LOT more about football than I do and I trust him and his staff when they say these recruits can and will play. So just like Dwight Clark sometimes great players get overlooked and are underrated.

BTW - Jerry Butler was the featured receiver on that team and yes he went on to have an outstanding NFL career. I just thought it was ironic that Clemson won another Title in a stadium with the statue of a former Clemson player outside of it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ironic note about Levi Stadium on this signing day

Feb 6, 2019, 7:46 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QKGJ00-OV8
This is the link to the 1981 San Francisco 49ers Americas Game. The hole story is at the beginning. Dwight and Steve Fuller were room mates. Dwight was walking out the door to go play golf when the phone rang. It was Bill Walch looking for Steve. When he found out that Dwight was a receiver, Walch asked him if he would mind running routes at Fullers tryout. Walch liked the way Dwight ran the routes and caught the ball and after the tryout, heasked Dwight if he had any film to look at. Dwight told him he only caught 11 passes that year. Walch asked him if he played a game where he caught more than 1 pass. Dwight told him he caught 2 passes against UNC that year. Walch watched the tape and decided to draft him in the upcoming draft. His assistant coaches told Walch that he didn't have to draft Dwight, he could pick up after the draft-I guess in free agency. That's how Dwight Clark become a 49er and a legend. If he left a few seconds earlier to play golf, what would have happened. Watch the program if you have time-it's a great story.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ironic note about Levi Stadium on this signing day

Feb 6, 2019, 7:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QKGJ00-OV8
This is the link to the 1981 San Francisco 49ers Americas Game. The whole story is at the beginning. Dwight and Steve Fuller were room mates. Dwight was walking out the door to go play golf when the phone rang. It was Bill Walch looking for Steve. When he found out that Dwight was a receiver, Walch asked him if he would mind running routes at Fullers tryout. Walch liked the way Dwight ran the routes and caught the ball and after the tryout, he asked Dwight if he had any film to look at. Dwight told him he only caught 11 passes that year. Walch asked him if he played a game where he caught more than 1 pass. Dwight told him he caught 2 passes against UNC that year. Walch watched the tape and decided to draft him in the upcoming draft. His assistant coaches told Walch that he didn't have to draft Dwight, he could pick up after the draft-I guess in free agency. Walch told the assistant coaches he was drafting Dwight Clark. That's how Dwight Clark become a 49er and a legend. If he left a few seconds earlier to play golf, what would have happened. Watch the program if you have time-it's a great story.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic