Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NCAA tournament thought......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

NCAA tournament thought......

Mar 19, 2019, 10:21 AM

...would it be better if the power 5 conferences broke away and started their own tournament....today's tournament doesn't have the best 68 teams obviously. Half of the field couldn't beat many of the teams excluded from the field. Of course the smaller schools and fans of the Cinderella would be opposed but realistically the power 5 schools control basketball anyway.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In other words...

Mar 19, 2019, 10:22 AM

like college football?

The smaller, non Power 5 schools, have virtually no chance of ever being selected for the college football playoffs or playing for a college football national championship

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: In other words...

Mar 19, 2019, 10:23 AM

:)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Except that people want Cinderella

Mar 19, 2019, 11:04 AM

It's what makes the tourney interesting and exciting. The only people I know who complain about the format of the NCAA tourney are fans of teams who didn't get in.

There are 32 bids given to conference champs in most years the champions of the AAC, A10, ACC, Big East, Big XII, B1G, MT West, PAC-12, and SEC are teams that would be automatic qualifiers. That's 9 teams that are definitely a part of the best 68. If you add Gonzaga from the WCC it's been 10 more recently. That leaves 22 bids for teams that may not be among the top 68 by winning their conference. But more importantly there are 46 spots (36 at large plus the 10 major and mid major conf. champs) that are given to teams that are highly likely to be among the top 50. So while today's tournament may not have the best 68 it likely has the best 46 teams in the country plus some low-level conf. champions that may deserve to be in the discussion of the best 68, and some teams that have no business being there.

My point in all this is that if you assume 16 of the 68 teams don't really belong you're removing the 16, 15, and 14 seeds plus 2 of the 13 seeds. And this is what the tournament is, we love that every year at least one of those teams is going to win a game. Sometimes more. The 5-12 "upsets" are so common because the 12's are typically at-large teams who really are in the top 50.

I don't want a first round matchup of #3LSU vs #14 Clemson, or #4 Kansas vs #13 NCSU. Sure NCSU and Clemson could win those games but there's no wow factor in those upsets. Now if Yale knocks off LSU or Northeastern takes out Kansas, that's just much more interesting for college basketball and it's why we love the first weekend of the tourney so much. The NCAA knows that and it's not going to change.

One other point here... you only need to be one of the top 46-50 teams to get in at large or as a major conference champ. Based on history there aren't a lot of final four teams being left out of the tournament. There have been 4 double digit seeds that have made the final four (LSU as a 10 and George Mason, VCU, and Loyola-Chi as 11's). That's still 2-4 teams over the last 4 out on any given year as the cut line is usually in the 12's. So it's not like the field only having the best 46-50 teams is removing any potential nation title contenders or final four teams.

Bottom line, the tourney is fine the way is it. Sure I'd have liked for Clemson to be in it this year, but not at the expense of trying to "fix" something that's not broken.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also interesting in your stats is that if the four

Mar 19, 2019, 11:10 AM

double digit seeds to make the final 4, 3 are from non power 5 conferences.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic